What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

COVID UPDATE: What is the truth? (1 Viewer)

no

we don't know that the people who were vaxxed would have survived covid anyway - just because they were vaxxed don't mean anything IMO

and, for the record, throw out everyone 40 and younger who were vaxxed, cannot count them, they were almost assured of not dying of covid anyway
I’m sorry that you don’t like math.

That gun shot victim that was rushed to the hospital and the ER surgeon saved his life? Pfft. Not a life saver, for we don't know that the dude with the bullet lodged in his spleen would have actually died anyway.

Yep.  My sister in law and her daughter (early 40’s and early 20’s) are both long haulers and we’re touch and go for a while. Very healthy, not over weight, non smokers.  Still have major problems to this day, over 2 yrs later.   Obviously not vaxed as it wasn’t developed then.  
my daughter is 33. was fully vaxxed and boostered.   Saved her life as she had a severe case, but didnt have to stay in the hospital.  18 months later, she still has long hauler issues that are getting a little better. No alcohol, tons of water and rest have helped, but somedays still aren't good.    The vax and boosters tremendously save people from serious illness. Even with the new variants that really don't prevent getting it.  

The vax and booster prevented the cytokene storm that rips peoples lungs to shreds. I know three RE agents here that died because they didnt get shots.  So sad.

Some points to add because I’m bored while on vacation with the in-laws:

-The vaccines were developed based on a strain that has mutated multiple times since. The vaccine STILL does a great job of preventing severe illness.

-Initially the vaccines were great at prevent infections and even preventing spread. Each mutation chipped away at those protections until Omicron let the flood gates open by having mutations on the main target of the vaccine.

-True asymptomatic spread is rare. Many may claim to be asymptomatic only to have symptoms that they didn’t believe were due to COVID or they were pre-symptomatic.

-Natural immunity should have been considered more seriously unfortunately that too is largely irrelevant with what’s circulating.

-Masks work. But good ones and where them when appropriate.

-Infections still matter. I’ve seen some mention that getting cold symptoms for a few days doesn’t worry them. In a vacuum, sure but you’re probably missing work during that time and with current return to work policies, you’re at risk to infect your co-workers and cause many problems.

That’s not to say that there haven’t been missteps along the way:

-Public health messaging has been horrible. Outside of the early part of the Biden administration where the best message matched up with the best political move. It horrendous right now.

-A big selling point of the mRNA vaccines was the ability to quickly tweak the formula to match the variants. That didn’t happen and now we’re caught flat footed. There needs to be a better process to get these vaccine adjustments quicker.

Yep. My sister in law and her daughter (early 40’s and early 20’s) are both long haulers and we’re touch and go for a while. Very healthy, not over weight, non smokers. Still have major problems to this day, over 2 yrs later. Obviously not vaxed as it wasn’t developed then.
my daughter is 33. was fully vaxxed and boostered. Saved her life as she had a severe case, but didnt have to stay in the hospital. 18 months later, she still has long hauler issues that are getting a little better. No alcohol, tons of water and rest have helped, but somedays still aren't good. The vax and boosters tremendously save people from serious illness. Even with the new variants that really don't prevent getting it.

The vax and booster prevented the cytokene storm that rips peoples lungs to shreds. I know three RE agents here that died because they didnt get shots. So sad.

This is the most important the bolded red. The right and anti vaxxers want to harp on the fact of "WHAT'S THE POINT GETTING VACCINATED IF YOU WILL STILL GET IT?" type quotes and make up anything to not get the shots. What they fail to understand is no one ever claimed this vaccine will prevent Covid. like the Flu shot it'll prevent you from being hospitalized with bigger symptoms and worse dead.

"But I know people who had COIVD or The FLU and hand it was no different." Ok people react differently.No one ever said if you get flu or covid without a shot you die. Different people react different Depends on your age, healthy possible underlying health issues not found etc. But hey lets take something no one claimed and act like it's gospel truth.

The funny thing is I know at least 5 anti vaxxers at work who ended up getting at least 2 shots or the 1. Maybe didn't get boosted but it was like pulling teeth. BTW one of them is our after tearing his shoulder off after seizure from having covid and fell and tore his arm trying to break his fall. He's been out since may and may not come back til early next year. One of my bosses at work said he talked to my coworker who told him the dr said had he not bee vaccinated the shoulder tear would be the least of his issues. At worst he could've been dead. He ended up in the hospital do to the seizure and he has a history of those so because of that they wanted to monitor him for safety reasons [lus look at his shoulder. . However they said the shot prevented him for a longer hospital stay.

Yep. My sister in law and her daughter (early 40’s and early 20’s) are both long haulers and we’re touch and go for a while. Very healthy, not over weight, non smokers. Still have major problems to this day, over 2 yrs later. Obviously not vaxed as it wasn’t developed then.
my daughter is 33. was fully vaxxed and boostered. Saved her life as she had a severe case, but didnt have to stay in the hospital. 18 months later, she still has long hauler issues that are getting a little better. No alcohol, tons of water and rest have helped, but somedays still aren't good. The vax and boosters tremendously save people from serious illness. Even with the new variants that really don't prevent getting it.

The vax and booster prevented the cytokene storm that rips peoples lungs to shreds. I know three RE agents here that died because they didnt get shots. So sad.

This is the most important the bolded red. The right and anti vaxxers want to harp on the fact of "WHAT'S THE POINT GETTING VACCINATED IF YOU WILL STILL GET IT?" type quotes and make up anything to not get the shots. What they fail to understand is no one ever claimed this vaccine will prevent Covid. like the Flu shot it'll prevent you from being hospitalized with bigger symptoms and worse dead.

"But I know people who had COIVD or The FLU and hand it was no different." Ok people react differently.No one ever said if you get flu or covid without a shot you die. Different people react different Depends on your age, healthy possible underlying health issues not found etc. But hey lets take something no one claimed and act like it's gospel truth.

The funny thing is I know at least 5 anti vaxxers at work who ended up getting at least 2 shots or the 1. Maybe didn't get boosted but it was like pulling teeth. BTW one of them is our after tearing his shoulder off after seizure from having covid and fell and tore his arm trying to break his fall. He's been out since may and may not come back til early next year. One of my bosses at work said he talked to my coworker who told him the dr said had he not bee vaccinated the shoulder tear would be the least of his issues. At worst he could've been dead. He ended up in the hospital do to the seizure and he has a history of those so because of that they wanted to monitor him for safety reasons [lus look at his shoulder. . However they said the shot prevented him for a longer hospital stay.
:unsure:

Or perhaps the vax made his seizures worse. It's an uncomfortable conjecture, I know.

Or perhaps the vax made his seizures worse. It's an uncomfortable conjecture, I know.
Since the vaccines were rolled out to the population by Biden. Anti-vaxxers make up a massively disproportionate share of covid deaths. In March 2022, for those 65+ 9.29 anti-vaxxers died per 100k people. For the vaccinated it was 1.18.

Without vaccines we'd have millions more dead and we'd still be locked down from Covid.

ZERO real evidence of any danger from the vaccines.

In March 2022, for those 65+ 9.29 anti-vaxxers died per 100k people. For the vaccinated it was 1.18.

How many of those 'anti-vaxxers' had zero shots? The definition of 'vaccinated' moved quite a bit over the last year.

Or perhaps it was the diet soda he was drinking. We'll never know.

In March 2022, for those 65+ 9.29 anti-vaxxers died per 100k people. For the vaccinated it was 1.18.

How many of those 'anti-vaxxers' had zero shots? The definition of 'vaccinated' moved quite a bit over the last year.
Vaccinated was anyone with at least one shot of J&J or 2 shots of MRNA.

Biden claimed it actually. https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-2021-video-saying-vaccinations-prevent-covid-resurfaces-1726900

Doesn't matter -- we didn't know what we didn't know at the time. In retrospect, I didn't mind a non-expert like him winging it in the moment to help increase vaccinations.

Hedging and punting until more was known conclusively would have resulted in more infirmity and death. IMHO, it was the right decision -- at the society-wide level in spring 2021 -- to authoritatively take that leap, and then plan to make adjustments as later data warranted.

Biden claimed it actually. https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-2021-video-saying-vaccinations-prevent-covid-resurfaces-1726900
That's exactly what the vaccine did for the OG strain. Did you take Biden saying that to mean that the current vaccines would stop EVERY variant of covid? I wonder why the flu vaccine has to constantly get re-worked if that's how it's supposed to work?

That's exactly what the vaccine did for the OG strain. Did you take Biden saying that to mean that the current vaccines would stop EVERY variant of covid? I wonder why the flu vaccine has to constantly get re-worked if that's how it's supposed to work?
I just posted inresponse to the poster. I had my vaxxes and boosters.

He's had seizures in the past at work. But hey I know it's uncomfortable that people believe actual science over quack doctors or god.

Shoot -- back in the day, you could strip paint off a car with Tab. Loosen rusted bolts, too.

My friend in college tried to coke/pepsi in his toilet to clean it. Looked like he used a dam cleaning product. It's sad what the FDC says is healthy for us and then you talk to people in Europe and they are beyond shocked the poisons they allow. I get it though. Some of the stuff inside some of these products makes things taste better and keeps them fresher but in the long run it's horrible for your body.

Also my coworker is known to consume a ton of energy drinks. I had one who took way too many and had to be taken to the ER. An overnight coworker his ex wife died as her heart burst from drinking Red Bull 24/7

Since the vaccines were rolled out to the population by Biden. Anti-vaxxers make up a massively disproportionate share of covid deaths. In March 2022, for those 65+ 9.29 anti-vaxxers died per 100k people. For the vaccinated it was 1.18.

Without vaccines we'd have millions more dead and we'd still be locked down from Covid.

ZERO real evidence of any danger from the vaccines.

They'd rather believe quack drs and hide behind religion thats the issue.

This is no different then them complaining about government handouts. The top 15 states welfare wise over half of them are Red states. I believe Mississippi, or Arkansas is #1 in welfare which surprisingly the same state ranks in the top 3 of poorly educated as well.

It's a Nazi method though for them. The Jospeh Goebbels' quote goes hand and hand with the right However like Numerious JFK and other quotes the right love to misc quote them enough or interrupt them to fit an agenda

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."

He's had seizures in the past at work. But hey I know it's uncomfortable that people believe actual science over quack doctors or god.
I think @LawFitz said perhaps the VAX made the seizures worse. That sounds like he realizes he had a history of them but maybe the VAX added to it, which wouldn't be odd at all since any vaccine, by rule has a possibility of seizure because, in some patients, exposure to inoculations can lead to fever and fever can lead to seizures in any person. Seems reasonable.

In an earlier post you said "no one ever claimed this vaccine will prevent Covid." Actually, that is exactly what was being heavily stated, ad naseum, by those promoting it. A year to the day that Joe Biden got covid, he said on national TV that if you get the vaccine, you won't get covid. Said it directly. By definition, vaccines DO prevent infection. Why they still call it a vaccine is actually misleading because it is not that.

The title of this thread is "What is the truth?" and I think there is still a lot of unknown. What is right, what is wrong? I don't know but I am willing to bet that if the entirety of the subject was far less politicized and people were open to multiple possibilities (as used to be the norm in science), it would clear things up a lot faster.

The title of this thread is "What is the truth?" and I think there is still a lot of unknown. What is right, what is wrong? I don't know but I am willing to bet that if the entirety of the subject was far less politicized and people were open to multiple possibilities (as used to be the norm in science), it would clear things up a lot faster.

This. So much, this. Read. Reread. Try to digest and injest... Brohans.

Shoot -- back in the day, you could strip paint off a car with Tab. Loosen rusted bolts, too.

My friend in college tried to coke/pepsi in his toilet to clean it. Looked like he used a dam cleaning product. It's sad what the FDC says is healthy for us and then you talk to people in Europe and they are beyond shocked the poisons they allow. I get it though. Some of the stuff inside some of these products makes things taste better and keeps them fresher but in the long run it's horrible for your body.

Also my coworker is known to consume a ton of energy drinks. I had one who took way too many and had to be taken to the ER. An overnight coworker his ex wife died as her heart burst from drinking Red Bull 24/7
:oldunsure:

I think @LawFitz said perhaps the VAX made the seizures worse. That sounds like he realizes he had a history of them but maybe the VAX added to it, which wouldn't be odd at all since any vaccine, by rule has a possibility of seizure because, in some patients, exposure to inoculations can lead to fever and fever can lead to seizures in any person. Seems reasonable.

In an earlier post you said "no one ever claimed this vaccine will prevent Covid." Actually, that is exactly what was being heavily stated, ad naseum, by those promoting it. A year to the day that Joe Biden got covid, he said on national TV that if you get the vaccine, you won't get covid. Said it directly. By definition, vaccines DO prevent infection. Why they still call it a vaccine is actually misleading because it is not that.

Are you saying that the covid vaccines didn't stop the OG Covid strain like they were designed for? Are you saying that a reasonable person couldn't be expected to understand that further mutations of the virus might be impacted the vaccine in different ways?

And why does calling them vaccines matter so much? Would it make you guys feel better if we called them Covid shots? Such a weird hill to die on.

The bottom line is the vaccines are why we are open, most of the population has had covid with a low percentage dying, and that when new strains do appear we stay open. Should we close down like China with every new outbreak?

No need because the large majority of us are protected from severe illness by the vaccines. Those that aren't take their chances and have been hospitalized and died at a much much higher rate.

The need to disparage these miracle vaccines by a vocal minority is mind blowing. I hope if you or a loved one get cancer, hopefully you don't but if you do, please listen to the science and your doctors instead of seeking out your treatment options on Youtube.

Last edited:

Are you saying that the covid vaccines didn't stop the OG Covid strain like they were designed for? Are you saying that a reasonable person couldn't be expected to understand that further mutations of the virus might be impacted the vaccine in different ways?

And why does calling them vaccines matter so much? Would it make you guys feel better if we called them Covid shots? Such a weird hill to die on.

The bottom line is the vaccines are why we are open, most of the population has had covid with a low percentage dying, and that when new strains do appear we stay open. Should we close down like China with every new outbreak?

No need because the large majority of us are protected from severe illness by the vaccines. Those that aren't take their chances and have been hospitalized and died at a much much higher rate.

The need to disparage these miracle vaccines by a vocal minority is mind blowing. I hope if you or a loved one get cancer, hopefully you don't but if you do, please listen to the science and your doctors instead of seeking out your treatment options on Youtube.
Why does it matter if they are called vaccines or not? I think when people of them, its polio, tetanus, etc where you get the vax and that’s it. Obviously we are learning this on the fly, but that is how the COVID vax was sold to the public.

Why does it matter if they are called vaccines or not? I think when people of them, its polio, tetanus, etc where you get the vax and that’s it. Obviously we are learning this on the fly, but that is how the COVID vax was sold to the public.
Because they were vaccines against the OG strain. Mutations have rendered them into basically insurance that you're unlikely to get really sick/day.

Why are folks hung up on calling them vaccines? Why to discredit them for some reason of course.

Again, without these miracle vaccines, MILLIONS more would have died (just extrapolate the anti-vaxx death rate to the general population, which would undercount it since the vaxxed population is also the most at risk) plus the country would be no where near as open as it is. The vaccine provides protection against all other strains without which life would be very different.

I think you are looking at a minority who claimed the vaccines prevent it from ever happening. My cousin has a friend who's a DR in NYC who's been on his Facebook updating people with the what they know about. No political agenda etc. Drs were apparently told this isn't going to prevent the virus but like the Flu shot can prevent higher symptoms. Have some claimed other wise? Sure. Some have misspoke However he far right has been peddling that whole rhetoric since day 1. Most anti vaxxers will claim vaccines don't work, cause autism which is complete ******** amongst other things.

My overall point was my coworker has had seizures in the past pretty badly. I don't like the guy, think he's an *******, political bully at work, bully other coworkers and Company kisses but I do feel bad the dude deals with seizures. We've had to call twice in my 17 yrs an ambulance for him do to past seizures. The drs believe the Covid caused the trigger to this last seizure as they've seen a lot of people with no prior history of them not vaccinated get it.

I just find it weird the hills some folks are willing to die on just to Own the progressive socialist and Liberals or some other agenda. Saw some guy on Facebook I see conservatives share his stuff. Dude was trying to make an example saying this is what a real man looks like eating steak and a whole bunch of other greasy fried food. Not some avocado and toast, fruity drinks and other things. Goes on the typical if this country has a draft I feel bad as we couldn't compete with the soft folks.

Meanwhile this guy looks like he'd have a heart attack first day of bootcamp and he's sipping on a Pina colada. It's just really funny and immature. Like the anti mask people posting pics of cut up masks etc. Act your age not your shoe size. Amazes me the amount of people who claim others need safe spaces and are triggered when they are the definition of it.

I see Canada is working on another booster. Hopefully we are past that, but we are now entering the unknown of long-term effects.
Yep.

It's been 1.5 years since I had covid (before the vaccine) and I still don't have my full taste and smell back yet.
I know someone dealing with the same issues, fatigue also.

My mom had it early on like at March headed into easter. I think she's regained everything

I think you are looking at a minority who claimed the vaccines prevent it from ever happening. My cousin has a friend who's a DR in NYC who's been on his Facebook updating people with the what they know about. No political agenda etc. Drs were apparently told this isn't going to prevent the virus but like the Flu shot can prevent higher symptoms. Have some claimed other wise? Sure. Some have misspoke However he far right has been peddling that whole rhetoric since day 1. Most anti vaxxers will claim vaccines don't work, cause autism which is complete ******** amongst other things.

My overall point was my coworker has had seizures in the past pretty badly. I don't like the guy, think he's an *******, political bully at work, bully other coworkers and Company kisses but I do feel bad the dude deals with seizures. We've had to call twice in my 17 yrs an ambulance for him do to past seizures. The drs believe the Covid caused the trigger to this last seizure as they've seen a lot of people with no prior history of them not vaccinated get it.
I echo this last post. Your Local Epidemiologist, cited hundreds of times on this MB is a family friend that grew up three doors down from us while raising my kids. She pretty much has said the same thing.
By far the #1 issue with Covid has been the spread of mis information in her mind. Just a huge battle for them. And the politicizing of it by both sides. Biden should have never made that claim. Trump should have not made numerous claims.
Paxlovid has really helped a lot, even if people get a minor rebound case of it again.

Because they were vaccines against the OG strain. Mutations have rendered them into basically insurance that you're unlikely to get really sick/day.

Why are folks hung up on calling them vaccines? Why to discredit them for some reason of course.

Again, without these miracle vaccines, MILLIONS more would have died (just extrapolate the anti-vaxx death rate to the general population, which would undercount it since the vaxxed population is also the most at risk) plus the country would be no where near as open as it is. The vaccine provides protection against all other strains without which life would be very different.

People just want to find anyway to discredit stuff. Like I said in an earlier post one of the ******** examples going around the anti vaccine community is it makes people have autism which is a total crock. My one aunt is like that unfortunately. My uncle literally blocked her in his phone when he was helping my dad with an estate my dad got do to a customer of his dying. I'd be over there helping and she'd be blowing up his phone with anti covid and Vaccination stuff.

My grandma who died recently was bed ridden and aunt bf dumped her. She wanted to move back home but my other aunt who moved home from California to take care of my grandmother and everyone else old her she couldn't live there without being vaccinated. Became a huge event where my family basically called the local police and told them she was banned from the property and if she came by to arrest her for trespassing.

I echo this last post. Your Local Epidemiologist, cited hundreds of times on this MB is a family friend that grew up three doors down from us while raising my kids. She pretty much has said the same thing.
By far the #1 issue with Covid has been the spread of mis information in her mind. Just a huge battle for them. And the politicizing of it by both sides. Biden should have never made that claim. Trump should have not made numerous claims.
Paxlovid has really helped a lot, even if people get a minor rebound case of it again.

Yeah I can't stand either side politicizing it. Those on the left claiming it prevents from getting it etc and then those on the right with the anti vac, and all the other conspiracy stuff. Fortunately people in that realm are now being held accountable like Alex Jones.

The truth is the vaccines were incredibly successful against the strands of the virus that were known and designed for. They reduced spread, kept people from getting it and kept people from getting really sick from it. They continue to be successful against the strands that didn't even exist when the vaccines were created in terms of keeping people from getting really sick.

That's the truth. Any other questions?

That gun shot victim that was rushed to the hospital and the ER surgeon saved his life? Pfft. Not a life saver, for we don't know that the dude with the bullet lodged in his spleen would have actually died anyway.

Your analogy is poor, but if you had say, 1,000,000 gun shot victims and 99.9% of them under the age of 50 survived without medical treatment, you would have enough data to make statistically relevant assertions. No?

Interesting new disclosure from the UK on the Pfizer vaccine. They now do not have enough data to "reassure the safe use in pregnant and breastfeeding women"

In the context of supply under Regulation 174, it is considered that sufficient reassurance of safe use of the vaccine in pregnant women cannot be provided at the present time: however, use in women of childbearing potential could be supported provided healthcare professionals are advised to rule out known or suspected pregnancy prior to vaccination. Women who are breastfeeding should also not be vaccinated. These judgements reflect the absence of data at the present time and do not reflect a specific finding of concern.

Posts are circulating online claiming a Pfizer document reveals that COVID-19 vaccines are not safe for pregnant women and those breastfeeding. The guidelines, however, are from Britain’s medicines regulator in 2020, not Pfizer; they do not indicate the shots are unsafe during pregnancy or while lactating but highlight a lack of data at the time of publication. (Reuters, 5/5/2022; also see AP, 5/5/2022)

It's strongly recommended that you get vaccinated against coronavirus (COVID-19) if you're pregnant or breastfeeding ...

If you're pregnant, it's important to get vaccinated to protect you and your baby. The antibodies your body produces in response to the vaccine can also give your baby protection against COVID-19. (UK National Health Service, 7/22/2022, current guidance)

COVID-19 vaccination is strongly recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women.

The coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccines available in the UK have been shown to be effective and to have a good safety profile. It is important to have your COVID-19 vaccinations to protect you and your baby. (GOV.UK, 4/11/2022)

Posts are circulating online claiming a Pfizer document reveals that COVID-19 vaccines are not safe for pregnant women and those breastfeeding. The guidelines, however, are from Britain’s medicines regulator in 2020, not Pfizer; they do not indicate the shots are unsafe during pregnancy or while lactating but highlight a lack of data at the time of publication. (Reuters, 5/5/2022; also see AP, 5/5/2022)

It's strongly recommended that you get vaccinated against coronavirus (COVID-19) if you're pregnant or breastfeeding ...

If you're pregnant, it's important to get vaccinated to protect you and your baby. The antibodies your body produces in response to the vaccine can also give your baby protection against COVID-19. (UK National Health Service, 7/22/2022, current guidance)

COVID-19 vaccination is strongly recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women.

The coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccines available in the UK have been shown to be effective and to have a good safety profile. It is important to have your COVID-19 vaccinations to protect you and your baby. (GOV.UK, 4/11/2022)
Why do you think the UK changed their wording on that?

Users who are viewing this thread