What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

COVID UPDATE: What is the truth? (1 Viewer)

PSA: don't bother trying to explain shades of grey to people who see the wold in only black and white.
Correct...context is completely lost on those who simply can't go with "opps, my bad". All the way through Delta, you know, the time where we were beating people over the head to get the vaccines because they were absolutely keeping transmissions low, people refused and we eventually got variants that rendered vaccines less effective. That time period and the current are intentionally conflated all the time. No point in having that conversation again. Just identify it and ignore.
it's not even that though - it's the arguments like "vaccines don't completely prevent covid transmission and therefore are worthless" or "shotted people vs non-shotted both carried and transmitted covid .... it didn't matter if you had the shots". These statements draw conclusions purely in a binary world - no room for nuance or context.

After years and years of arguing things like this on these forums... it's just not worth it.
Not only no room for nuance or context, but completely devoid of understanding of how the immune system works. It feels like a great many DON'T understand that vaccines don't, and never have, kept the virus from physically entering the body. If it's in the body, it can be spread unless dealt with quickly. We must have no vaccines that "work" for these folks. It's a twisted web of silliness.

WTF is wrong with these people. I vote the building this was done in is evacuated, sealed and cleaned (flamethrower is most appropriate) to ensure this kind of variant never gets out. I'm agog we have smart folks in this country that are this stupid.

Important quote from the article Sand linked:

"The scientists admit the hybrid virus is unlikely to be as deadly in humans as it was in mice.

This is because the specific breed of lab mice used are very susceptible to severe Covid disease. Mice and humans also have very different immune responses to the virus."

"The scientists admit the hybrid virus is unlikely to be as deadly in humans as it was in mice.

This is because the specific breed of lab mice used are very susceptible to severe Covid disease. Mice and humans also have very different immune responses to the virus."
Are these different mice than what was used to test the boosters? Because those mice were used because their immune systems respond extremely similar to humans.

Well then I imagine they will keep trying. Who do this first step at all?

Are these different mice than what was used to test the boosters? Because those mice were used because their immune systems respond extremely similar to humans.
I don't know the answer to that question but you have to figure that by now most humans have either gotten vaccinated or gotten covid so almost all of us have built up some level of immunity.

I don't know the answer to that question but you have to figure that by now most humans have either gotten vaccinated or gotten covid so almost all of us have built up some level of immunity.
Yeah the last estimate I saw was about 90% in the US either have a confirmed case or are vaccinated.

I just find it interesting that one day results via mice are good because their immune system is similar to humans. The next day its dont worry about mice results because their immune systems are so different.

Google gives both answers as well. I'm sure there is some level of distinction, but I don't know it.

I wonder if the guys at Wuhan said the same kind of thing to themselves: "Yeah, it looks bad on paper, but our mice are really susceptible. That monkey that just died was probably just coincidence - we can sell it at that wet market across the street and get some nice vodka for tonight..."

Just trying to create Frankenstein here is enough for me. If I were POTUS I'd have the provost of BU on the phone and be slinging four letter words all over the place. Every time I think of this situation I keep coming back to "WTF were these morons thinking?"

Yea, not sure the fact that some scientists were able to create a new strain has any bearing on how the original strain started

really ?

wow ..... I guess you really still think the covid strain just naturally mutated and jumped to humans right next to a wuham virus lab ?

that's like in Arkansas the Game and Fish brought in elk 20 years ago from a CWD zone in Colorado and now we have CWD and the hot spot is right where they put the elk and they deny that the elk brought in CWD

sometimes the most obvious answer is the right answer

Yea, not sure the fact that some scientists were able to create a new strain has any bearing on how the original strain started

really ?

wow ..... I guess you really still think the covid strain just naturally mutated and jumped to humans right next to a wuham virus lab ?

that's like in Arkansas the Game and Fish brought in elk 20 years ago from a CWD zone in Colorado and now we have CWD and the hot spot is right where they put the elk and they deny that the elk brought in CWD

sometimes the most obvious answer is the right answer
:shrug:

Whatever the chances are that the initial strain was created in a lab - those chances are exactly the same now. Scientists create strains of viruses in labs all the time.

There is NOTHING synthetic (I.E. created in a lab) about this virus. Could it have been in the lab and escaped into the human population via one of the researchers? Sure. Could it have jumped to humans via the consumption of a contaminated protein? Yup. We'll likely NEVER know and I'm not really sure why it matters at this point.

Do you still need to show a Covid card and wear a mask on the west coast? I have to fly to Washington State next week, and California after the holidays. I am not sure where my Covid card is at, although I have a photo copy of it. Is this still a thing on the west coast? TIA

Do you still need to show a Covid card and wear a mask on the west coast? I have to fly to Washington State next week, and California after the holidays. I am not sure where my Covid card is at, although I have a photo copy of it. Is this still a thing on the west coast? TIA
No. At least not in Washington.

"Boston University COVID researchers have combined the omicron variant spike protein with the original virus, testing the created strain on mice 'to help fight against future pandemics,' according to BU.

The scientists in BU’s National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratories found that all mice infected with only the BA.1 omicron variant had mild cases and survived, while the combined omicron spike protein with original COVID-19 virus strain inflicted severe disease with an 80% mortality rate.

When mice were infected with just the original, ancestral virus strain, 100% of the mice died.

'First, this research is not gain-of-function research, meaning it did not amplify the Washington state SARS-COV-2 virus strain (original virus from 2020) or make it more dangerous,' BU said in a statement following online reports that the university called 'false and inaccurate.'

'In fact, this research made the virus replicate less dangerous,' the university added."

Yup. We'll likely NEVER know and I'm not really sure why it matters at this point.

responsibility for the fall out from it ?
While I think there is a strong case to be made for that sucker leaking out of that lab what do we do with that information if we can prove that it leaked?

USA - Look! We have proof that it leaked from Wuhan! (shows proof)
China - Nope. That is fake news. Didn't leak from here.
USA - China is lying! Look at this proof.
China - Yeah no... Didn't happen here...
USA - BUT WE HAVE PROOF!
China - :shrug: #ShaggyDefense

Now what? It's kind of like the whole Russia is committing war crimes in Ukraine. What you gonna do about it?

Yup. We'll likely NEVER know and I'm not really sure why it matters at this point.

are you under the impression that someone is going to hold them responsible? If so, how? What would be done? The answer is, you'll never know, so it doesn't matter but if we DID know, nothing's going to be done. It simply doesn't matter. I mean, we ALL know the cure for cancer has been put on the shelf and no one seems to care :hophead:

are you under the impression that someone is going to hold them responsible? If so, how? What would be done? The answer is, you'll never know, so it doesn't matter but if we DID know, nothing's going to be done. It simply doesn't matter. I mean, we ALL know the cure for cancer has been put on the shelf and no one seems to care :hophead:
Pretty much.

if China was responsible (and I think all fingers point that way) .... I think the numbers below absolutely should result in them being held accountable in some way. How? sanctions? trade blocks? Globally countries could ban together and make them have some kind of responsibility. But you are right - probably neve happen

Globally, as of 5:49pm CEST, 17 October 2022, there have been 620,878,405 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 6,543,138 deaths, reported to WHO.
WASHINGTON, Jan 20 (Reuters) - The International Monetary Fund expects to raise its forecast that the COVID-19 pandemic will cost the global economy $12.5 trillion through 2024, the head of the global lender said on Thursday.Jan 20, 2022

WTF is wrong with these people. I vote the building this was done in is evacuated, sealed and cleaned (flamethrower is most appropriate) to ensure this kind of variant never gets out. I'm agog we have smart folks in this country that are this stupid.

And now for The REST of the story:

Good to see that this is refuted. And, man, someone here is totally incorrect. Not just a little wrong, but day and night wrong.

Good to see that this is refuted. And, man, someone here is totally incorrect. Not just a little wrong, but day and night wrong.
You can always discount The Daily Mail. It’s not an actual news source.

if China was responsible (and I think all fingers point that way) .... I think the numbers below absolutely should result in them being held accountable in some way. How? sanctions? trade blocks? Globally countries could ban together and make them have some kind of responsibility. But you are right - probably neve happen
I'd offer that it's China's fault whether it was a lab leak or the wet market. Have said this since day one.

You are required to wear your Covid card on a lanyard at all times while in public.

I live in the Bay Area, the last time I had to show proof of vaccination to get into anywhere was a bar in SF last November. It hasnt been a thing for about a year.

I'd offer that it's China's fault whether it was a lab leak or the wet market. Have said this since day one.
Right. If it was this wet market they need to figure that **** out and regulate better.

anybody question now that covid originated in the Wuhan lab ? I mean c'mon
I imagine the same people do who question whether Trump was in possession of top secret classified materials contrary to law. Or the same people who actually question whether the 2020 presidential election results are valid.

So the NIAID had no idea the BU folks were doing this research. The NIAID's head of the Dept of Microbiology and Infectious disease said publicly: "The BU teams application did not state that they wanted to do this precise work, nor did they make clear that they were doing experiments that might involve enhancing a pathogen of pandemic potential in the progress reports provided to NIAID. I think we're going to have conversations over upcoming days."

That's a brutal, brutal statement from a government official. BTW, the text of the study is here. Here is the first paragraph:

The recently identified, globally predominant SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant (BA.1) is highly transmissible, even in fully vaccinated individuals, and causes attenuated disease compared with other major viral variants recognized to date. The Omicron spike (S) protein, with an unusually large number of mutations, is considered the major driver of these phenotypes. We generated chimeric recombinant SARS-CoV-2 encoding the S gene of Omicron in the backbone of an ancestral SARS-CoV-2 isolate and compared this virus with the naturally circulating Omicron variant. The Omicron S-bearing virus robustly escapes vaccine-induced humoral immunity, mainly due to mutations in the receptor binding motif (RBM), yet unlike naturally occurring Omicron, efficiently replicates in cell lines and primary-like distal lung cells. In K18-hACE2 mice, while Omicron causes mild, non-fatal infection, the Omicron S-carrying virus inflicts severe disease with a mortality rate of 80%. This indicates that while the vaccine escape of Omicron is defined by mutations in S, major determinants of viral pathogenicity reside outside of S.

This is pretty damn plain text here. They took current COVID, you know the variant that is arguably the most transmissible disease ever seen, and took the part that makes it transmissible and stuck it on the original, incredibly virulent strain. Congrats, guys, you made a pandemic organism that killed at least 10M people and got it to robustly "escape vaccine induced humoral immunity".

I go back to "WTF were these people thinking?" Not only do I want an explanation at this point, but I would think that every one of these morons should be fired and probably prosecuted.

October 20, 2022: CDC recommends making COVID vaccinations mandatory for schools

October 21, 2022: Pfizer raises the price of COVID vaccines.

You can't make this stuff up.

October 20, 2022: CDC recommends making COVID vaccinations mandatory for schools

October 21, 2022: Pfizer raises the price of COVID vaccines.

You can't make this stuff up.
This is inaccurate. It wasn't the CDC, it was the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices and it's just a recommendation. It would be States that would mandate it if they do choose to do so.

Pfizer says Covid-19 vaccine list price could be $130 per dose once government contracts end​

at $130 a shot ... lets see who really thinks its life saving and who doesn't
We already are. Covid is now killing white people more than black people. Originally it was the opposite but because white people have more vaccine hesitancy over this particular vaccination, the trend has now officially reversed.

We already are. Covid is now killing white people more than black people. Originally it was the opposite but because white people have more vaccine hesitancy over this particular vaccination, the trend has now officially reversed.

what ?

covid actually cares about skin color ?

link please

what ?

covid actually cares about skin color ?

link please

Lying, corrupt, idiot CDC director walensky testes positive after being maxxed jabbed. Now what kind of idiot would listen to these morons? O yeah, the ones that are still brainwashed and believing the only lie left which of course is: 'I'm glad i was max boosted because it made my symptoms mild'.

Oh man, she had the new one too? Thankfully she had 5 shots or she could have had severe outcomes.

So this new one protects for what 4 weeks?

Lying, corrupt, idiot CDC director walensky testes positive after being maxxed jabbed. Now what kind of idiot would listen to these morons? O yeah, the ones that are still brainwashed and believing the only lie left which of course is: 'I'm glad i was max boosted because it made my symptoms mild'.

https://twitter.com/DrEliDavid/status/1583866902937759744

Speaking on the Rachael Maddow show on MSNBC in March 2021, in the first clip Walensky said that CDC data showed that vaccinated people “don’t carry the virus” and “don’t get sick” (here).

She's CDC, she's preaching the science ............... c'mon man

https://twitter.com/DrEliDavid/status/1583866902937759744

Speaking on the Rachael Maddow show on MSNBC in March 2021, in the first clip Walensky said that CDC data showed that vaccinated people “don’t carry the virus” and “don’t get sick” (here).

She's CDC, she's preaching the science ............... c'mon man
Well the experts agreed. Any questioning of it needs to be silenced and labeled as misinformation.

I don't think the "west coast" makes rules that apply to all cities and states on the west coast.

Users who are viewing this thread