What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crabtree -- torn Achilles? (1 Viewer)

D.Thomas did tear his Achilles but he was far more explosive/beast than Crabtree was. Don't think we can point to him and say that Crabtree will fully recover.

Would be more upsetting if I didn't have AJ Jenkins as my backup. No way he doesn't see the field....does leave me with AJ Jenkins, Stephen Hill, and Darrius Heyward-Bey as my starting Wideouts.

There's no doubt, I have to completely pull something out of my ### now. But I would rather have this injury occur now rather than mid-season.

Man... big blow to the Niners. Crabtree was like... their whole passing attack. If Kaepernick can make this work, I'll be impressed.

Pro Football Focus already has an article concerning the fantasy implications of the Crabtree injury.

Go to the link for the full read.

Here's the first paragraph.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/22/fantasy-reaction-michael-crabtree-tears-achilles/

Fantasy Reaction: Michael Crabtree Tears AchillesTyler Loechner | 2013/05/22

News has surfaced today that San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree tore his Achilles tendon during OTA’s this week, resulting in widespread panic on Twitter. Welcome to the NFL offseason. What impact will this injury have on the fantasy scene? Specifically, how does it impact Colin Kaepernick, Vernon Davis, and Anquan Boldin? ...

Is it just me or is this injury becoming more common now? I don't remember hearing about too many of these a decade ago.
Nah, seriously doubt this... it's just that with fantasy and round the clock, round the year coverage, twitter-sphere and everything else the injuries are much more public and spread around. I would guess injuries overall were much more common back in the 60s-80s.

Andre Brown came back from it as well and looked very good last year before being hurt (again). I think there's a good chance Crabtree can return from this, he'll have well over a year to rehab.

Would be more upsetting if I didn't have AJ Jenkins as my backup. No way he doesn't see the field....does leave me with AJ Jenkins, Stephen Hill, and Darrius Heyward-Bey as my starting Wideouts.

There's no doubt, I have to completely pull something out of my ### now. But I would rather have this injury occur now rather than mid-season.
I have all three as well, luckily not my starters.

Still a top 20 dynasty WR?
Just updated my rankings. I've still got him at 14th (from 9th). The rest of the staff has not been as kind so far, with the other three who have updated dropping him to 24th, 34th, and 54th. So far, we all agree that wherever you rank him, it sure as hell better end in a 4.

No. Achilles injury is too much for a WR to return from IMO.
D Thomas did it.

I guess I can rephrase a bit - if we assume Crab is out for all of the 2013 season, but returns at "100%" in 2014 with the same expectations and such he had for this season (so assume exact same player he was yesterday, but you'd have to bench him for all of this season and start using him in 2014 when he'll be 27) - is he still a "top 20" dynasty WR?
I'd say no. A lost year pushes him down a lot, IMO. Before, I'd have him ahead of Garcon, for example; now I'd take Garcon.

No. Achilles injury is too much for a WR to return from IMO.
D Thomas did it.

I guess I can rephrase a bit - if we assume Crab is out for all of the 2013 season, but returns at "100%" in 2014 with the same expectations and such he had for this season (so assume exact same player he was yesterday, but you'd have to bench him for all of this season and start using him in 2014 when he'll be 27) - is he still a "top 20" dynasty WR?
I'd say no. A lost year pushes him down a lot, IMO. Before, I'd have him ahead of Garcon, for example; now I'd take Garcon.
I'd have to say no as well. Even when the season starts next year he'll be pushing it as top 20. If he doesn't play well next year then it's possible to the 49ers don't re-sign him.

I don't see how this doesn't hurt Kaepernick quite a bit. Crabtree was his safety valve, and while Boldin is a great possession receiver, he doesn't have a ton left in the tank. Kaep may indeed run the ball more, but unless your league doesn't reward passing yardage/TDs much, I don't see that difference being made up on the ground.

http://lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-10138593

Players with torn achilles:

Greg Ellis DL

Jon Beason LB

Takeo Spikes LB

Antwan Odom DE

Marlin Jackson DB

Leon Hall CB

Terrell Suggs OLB

Jason Peters LT

Mikel LeShoure RB

Earnest Graham RB

Lendale White RB

Demaryius Thomas WR

Andre Brown RB

Dan Marino QB

Jon Jansen OT

Ron Curry WR

Lavar Arrington LB

How many of them returned to form?

Here's the topic on FBGs http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=631192

Just updated my rankings. I've still got him at 14th (from 9th). The rest of the staff has not been as kind so far, with the other three who have updated dropping him to 24th, 34th, and 54th. So far, we all agree that wherever you rank him, it sure as hell better end in a 4.
You're very optimistic with 14. Not only are you losing one year of production but he'll certainly start 2014 off slowly as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000205482/article/michael-crabtree-injury-has-49ers-pass-attack-reeling

Michael Crabtree injury has 49ers' pass attack reeling

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is in for a rough adjustment period following Michael Crabtree's torn Achilles tendon in Tuesday's practice.

Kaepernick's late-season reliance on Crabtree can't be overstated. In the 10 games in which Kaepernick started, Crabtree was targeted a whopping 92 times compared to 39 apiece for Vernon Davis and Randy Moss.

Crabtree finally emerged as a big-time NFL receiver under Kaepernick, showing elite hands and run-after-catch ability. He averaged seven receptions, 103 yards and nearly a touchdown per over the final eight games of the regular season and playoffs. Crabtree's 16-game averages when Kaepernick received starter's snaps projected to 96 receptions, 1,382 yards and 13 touchdowns. Those kind of numbers will leave players, coaches and even fantasy football fans wondering what Crabtree's injury means.

Now that we've established Crabtree's dominance with Kaepernick, the question is what the 49ers will do to make up for his absence. With Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams returning from anterior cruciate ligament injuries, the depth chart is shallow. Let's take a look at the options.

»The Anquan Boldin trade suddenly takes on more importance, though we shouldn't expect a repeat of his postseason dominance on a new team. Boldin can win with physicality, but he's another year older after struggling to separate from coverage the past couple of seasons.

»Kaepernick will have to get more comfortable throwing to Vernon Davis, who is now the most dangerous weapon in the 49ers' passing attack. Davis concentrated on blocking once Crabtree emerged as Kaepernick's go-to receiver, but he's only 19 games removed from a three-game stretch that saw him torch the Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints and New York Giants for 18 receptions, 410 yards and four touchdowns to close out the 2011 season.

»The 49ers have young talent in 2012 first-rounder A.J. Jenkins and 2013 fourth-rounder Quinton Patton, but are either of them ready to join Boldin in the starting lineup? Might they consider bringing back Randy Moss or Braylon Edwards? The available free-agent list is sparse behind Brandon Lloyd, Ramses Barden, Steve Breaston, Devery Henderson and Austin Collie.
»If general manager Trent Baalke opts to go the trade route, he's armed with a bevy of extra draft picks. Nate Washington of the Tennessee Titans was available earlier in the offseason and probably could still be had for a mid-to-late round pick. Heavy contracts would stand in the way of a Santonio Holmes or Robert Meachem trade.

No matter how the 49ers move to replace Crabtree, his absence will be felt, even on a deep and talented roster. The silver lining is the creative coaching staff has proven capable of winning with a variety of styles.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.
It won't allow me to fix the error with the cut & paste for some strange reason...oh well, click on the full article - sorry for the confusion!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Greg Ellis DL

Jon Beason LB

Takeo Spikes LB

Antwan Odom DE

Marlin Jackson DB

Leon Hall CB

Terrell Suggs OLB

Jason Peters LT

Mikel LeShoure RB

Earnest Graham RB

Lendale White RB

Demaryius Thomas WR

Andre Brown RB

Dan Marino QB

Jon Jansen OT

Ron Curry WR

Lavar Arrington LB

Here's the topic on FBGs http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=631192
I see three on this list that I would guess came back "as good as before".

If I remember correctly, when Spikes tore his, (and granted, this was a long time ago), that was enough reason for the Bengals to let him go. So, wouldn't you think that if Crabtree misses the year and Jenkins/Patton/Manningham show anything positive, that the Niners maybe draft another WR or two next year and plan to move on?

You're very optimistic with 14. Not only are you losing one year of production but he'll certainly start 2014 off slowly as well.
yup, 14 was pushing it even before this injury. Basically ranking him that high now completely disregards the injury.

Greg Ellis DL

Jon Beason LB

Takeo Spikes LB

Antwan Odom DE

Marlin Jackson DB

Leon Hall CB

Terrell Suggs OLB

Jason Peters LT

Mikel LeShoure RB

Earnest Graham RB

Lendale White RB

Demaryius Thomas WR

Andre Brown RB

Dan Marino QB

Jon Jansen OT

Ron Curry WR

Lavar Arrington LB

If I remember correctly, when Spikes tore his, (and granted, this was a long time ago), that was enough reason for the Bengals to let him go. So, wouldn't you think that if Crabtree misses the year and Jenkins/Patton/Manningham show anything positive, that the Niners maybe draft another WR or two next year and plan to move on?
I think Ronald Curry returned from an Achilles twice and was as good as he was going to be.

I'm not a doctor, but what I'm hearing is 6 months, which doesn't rule out a return for the stretch run this year and makes me skeptical of rust in 2014. Besides, I don't weight this current year much more than future years, so I'm looking at Crabtree as if he were the exact same player he is today, but one year older.
yup, 14 was pushing it even before this injury. Basically ranking him that high now completely disregards the injury.
A drop from 9th to 14th is significant. Like I always say, though, I feel the fantasy community at large dramatically overshoots on risk discounts. Imagine ranking Adrian Peterson or Jamaal Charles as top-10 RBs immediately after their injuries. Or Tom Brady or Wes Welker. At the time, you would have been considered bold (or crazy). After the fact, though, it seems so obvious- stud player misses games and returns as stud player.

Just submitted a feature on Crabtree and will link when it's published.

Highlights:

**Don't immediately assume this injury is career-ending or career-changing. There are no guarantees, but the list of successful returns by elite athletes over the past few years is reassuring for Crabtree. And ignore the Foot and Ankle study that has been trotted out with every Achilles injury in the past couple of years. It's flawed and far from definitive.

**The most hopeful scenario is probably a December return, but there's not a lot of precedent to suggest he'll be in full and effective form then. A limited regular season effort is likely the best you can hope for. But a full recovery in 2014 and beyond is absolutely possible.

....but that logic says that Crabtree was already a "stud player". I'm not sure he was. Each of those above player (Peterson, Charles, Brady, Welker) was at one point PRIOR to the injury a top 5 fantasy producer, some of them a few times over. Crab hasn't done that one - he hasn't even finished top 10.

I'm not a doctor, but what I'm hearing is 6 months, which doesn't rule out a return for the stretch run this year and makes me skeptical of rust in 2014. Besides, I don't weight this current year much more than future years, so I'm looking at Crabtree as if he were the exact same player he is today, but one year older.
>

A drop from 9th to 14th is significant. Like I always say, though, I feel the fantasy community at large dramatically overshoots on risk discounts. Imagine ranking Adrian Peterson or Jamaal Charles as top-10 RBs immediately after their injuries. Or Tom Brady or Wes Welker. At the time, you would have been considered bold (or crazy). After the fact, though, it seems so obvious- stud player misses games and returns as stud player.
Achilles is much more serious than ACL injuries.

>

Not good analysis. Players have a solid fantasy track record of coming back from torn ACLs, not so much at Achilles tears. Apples to apples.

....but that logic says that Crabtree was already a "stud player". I'm not sure he was. Each of those above player (Peterson, Charles, Brady, Welker) was at one point PRIOR to the injury a top 5 fantasy producer, some of them a few times over. Crab hasn't done that one - he hasn't even finished top 10.
Sure, if you didn't think Crabtree was a stud prior to the injury, you certainly don't think so now. I did, though- as evidenced by his top 10 ranking. Given that initial assumption, I think the 14th ranking is justified. He might not have shown it over a 16-game sample, but he sure did show it over a 10-game sample.
>

Not good analysis. Players have a solid fantasy track record of coming back from torn ACLs, not so much at Achilles tears. Apples to apples.
Medicine advances. There are few recent examples of players NOT returning strong from Achilles tears. As I said, I'm not a doctor, but Jene Bramel is. If he says that I shouldn't assume the injury is career-changing, then I won't. At least not until I get more information to the contrary.

Greg Ellis DL

Jon Beason LB

Takeo Spikes LB

Antwan Odom DE

Marlin Jackson DB

Leon Hall CB

Terrell Suggs OLB

Jason Peters LT

Mikel LeShoure RB

Earnest Graham RB

Lendale White RB

Demaryius Thomas WR

Andre Brown RB

Dan Marino QB

Jon Jansen OT

Ron Curry WR

Lavar Arrington LB

I think Ronald Curry returned from an Achilles twice and was as good as he was going to be.
Didn't he pop the achilles twice and then retire?

Greg Ellis DL

Jon Beason LB

Takeo Spikes LB

Antwan Odom DE

Marlin Jackson DB

Leon Hall CB

Terrell Suggs OLB

Jason Peters LT

Mikel LeShoure RB

Earnest Graham RB

Lendale White RB

Demaryius Thomas WR

Andre Brown RB

Dan Marino QB

Jon Jansen OT

Ron Curry WR

Lavar Arrington LB

Didn't he pop the achilles twice and then retire?
He came back after the 2nd one and posted more receptions in his next two seasons than he did before. I think it was actually a foot injury that forced him to retire.

I'm looking at Crabtree as if he were the exact same player he is today, but one year older.
Here's where i have some issue, you're basically saying he will for certain return at 100% from this injury like it never happened when he returns.

You downgraded him from 9 to 14 due to the missed season, but are completely disregarding the achilles tear.

I'm looking at Crabtree as if he were the exact same player he is today, but one year older.
Here's where i have some issue, you're basically saying he will for certain return at 100% from this injury like it never happened when he returns. You downgraded him from 9 to 14 due to the missed season, but are completely disregarding the achilles tear.
We have no idea how that will effect his play 14-15 months from now. So why make rankings based off of information we don't have? Right now we know he'll miss the whole season (probably) and be a year older this time next year. Pretending we know the long-term ramifications beyond that would be over-reaching.

Wow, this really opens up a can of worms for the SF WR situation as it applies to fantasy this year. This is now one of the most critical positional battles to watch in training camp IMO. There are a ton of potential beneficiaries of Crab being out in regards to targets.

Crab does not have a a history of being that much of a hard worker so it will be interesting to see how he bounces back...

Crab does not have a a history of being that much of a hard worker so it will be interesting to see how he bounces back...
Best point so far.

Finally we thought the light was coming on, but this could derail him big time.

Risk factor is all over the place.

Buy low but wear a condom.

Greg Ellis DL

Jon Beason LB

Takeo Spikes LB

Antwan Odom DE

Marlin Jackson DB

Leon Hall CB

Terrell Suggs OLB

Jason Peters LT

Mikel LeShoure RB

Earnest Graham RB

Lendale White RB

Demaryius Thomas WR

Andre Brown RB

Dan Marino QB

Jon Jansen OT

Ron Curry WR

Lavar Arrington LB

Pretty sure Fatdale was equally bad after the tear

Nice..
There is NO WAY I could have him at 14 right now. That is a VERY optimistic ranking knowing he likely doesnt play at all this year, and probably isn't at his best in 2014 either.

Medicine advances. There are few recent examples of players NOT returning strong from Achilles tears.

As I said, I'm not a doctor, but Jene Bramel is. If he says that I shouldn't assume the injury is career-changing, then I won't. At least not until I get more information to the contrary.
But as I read it, he didn't go so far as to say that you should assume the opposite, that it is settled that it won't be a career changing injury (which seems to be your position by dropping him only from #9 to #14).

Here is Bramel's exact quote:

Jene Bramel‏@JeneBramel35m

I'm not saying Crabtree is sure bet to recover to full form. Just noting that immediate rxn shouldn't be that full recovery is a longshot.

News coming out that it was a full tear of Achilles. If that's true, no way he's only out 6 months.
Agree, not likely to make the field in 2013, if he does it will be very late in the season and not likely to help owners. Crabtree is now 2014. The question is what will the Niners do with Crabtree? Trade, walk, extend?

:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread