What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crazy Idea To Blend Standard League With Best Ball Bench Scoring (1 Viewer)

dmac37

Footballguy
I get the interest in best ball but not really for me being a hands on type of owner. I love the thrill of researching who are the best choices to start each week but we all know the smartest minds in the business miss on this every week and is very frustrating rostering the right players but not having them in your lineup. Has anyone ever had a league setting that leaves a couple of open starter spots for the top one or two bench player scores?

Example- leave one or two extra flex spots for bench scoring. One or two open starter spots for the top bench points for the week. I have said for many years, I seem to be a good GM but crap the bed many weeks as a coach deciding who to start.

I used to play in a league that allowed you to pay extra for a bench player each week. If the player outscored one of your starters, his points counted instead of the other guy. It was a fun wrinkle, and made it easier when you didn't have to agonize over two players. It did, however, require you to "cover" the right spot (WR bench guy could only fill in for your WRs, etc). And it added to the pot, which was cool.

I get the interest in best ball but not really for me being a hands on type of owner. I love the thrill of researching who are the best choices to start each week but we all know the smartest minds in the business miss on this every week and is very frustrating rostering the right players but not having them in your lineup. Has anyone ever had a league setting that leaves a couple of open starter spots for the top one or two bench player scores?

Example- leave one or two extra flex spots for bench scoring. One or two open starter spots for the top bench points for the week. I have said for many years, I seem to be a good GM but crap the bed many weeks as a coach deciding who to start.

I like the idea of this. I wonder how difficult it would be to implement on other league platforms.

And to post title, I don't think it's a crazy idea at all.

The counter to it though is one of the primary challenges with Fantasy Football is picking the lineup. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong.

I lost in the quarterfinals of my local league last night because I chose to go with Jamaal Williams who got me there over AJ Dillon. It's a bummer for sure. But it's also the game.

A combo type idea I've been thinking about is choose a lineup but with some type of modified best ball, so in Superflex you'd have a lineup requirement of say 1 QB,1 SF, 3 RB, 3 WR, 3 Flex (no TE requirement), 1 K, 1 D but then points would only count for 1QB, 1 SF, 2 RB, 2WR, 2 Flex, 1 K, 1 D.

Haven't flushed it out much but this would account for both duds and injuries, while keeping the challenge of setting a lineup each week.

My "best ball" league has a 5 man inactive taxi squad in addition to max on 3 IR. So you can have 23-26 players but only 18 are active. Gives you a free parking for bye weeks and backups. Still some movement on a week to week basis in addition to the waiver wire.

Sleeper allows a traditional season long league with draft and waivers and trades and such but has best ball scoring for each week.

I'm sort of torn on this.

I totally love Best Ball leagues for "set it and forget it" angle where you draft a ton of teams in the summer and let they play out.

But in a league that is actively managed each week, I'm not sure how I like removing the start - sit decisions each week. That's a huge part of season long fantasy football.

And to post title, I don't think it's a crazy idea at all.

The counter to it though is one of the primary challenges with Fantasy Football is picking the lineup. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong.

I lost in the quarterfinals of my local league last night because I chose to go with Jamaal Williams who got me there over AJ Dillon. It's a bummer for sure. But it's also the game.
Agreed.
It’s one of the things that are great about the game. It’s stupid, frustrating aggravating and I can’t wait to draft again next year

@ChiefD used to have a saying that fits here, something about bad beats…

Lots of ways to do a hybrid...some well supported by leagues software services, some take some work on the part of Commish. I like leagues allowing auto sub designations for hurt players (no more starting scrub on Thursday night game because the preferred option is Q on Sunday...or having to get up at noon (Im a nightshifter) to check actives. Keeps the lineup aspect while taking away the worst thing about making decisions days early or major adjustments to...life.

I had a league once that put a decent premium on QBs. That league had a backup QB rule.....if a QB left in the first half and didn't return, the backup QB counted instead.
I have a league now that uses an auction...for everything, including yearly rookie drafts (cash is dispersed according to order of finish so bad teams get more to play with...but coupling a two or three late 1's/early 2's IS enough to outbid the 1.01 player)

And for folks doing this, would love to know exactly what you're doing with rules and with what specific league platform.

I've been wanting something along these lines for years but I was just thinking in terms of less BB and being able to address that one mistake due to something like an early game injury or that one guy goes nuts on your bench. Those are two of the worst feelings in fantasy that can be corrected so why not? Why do we have to suffer that angst and bad luck?

Basically I'd like to see a league were each Tuesday you could make one change to your lineup. I've seen talk of Mulligan leagues that offer this kind of thing but maybe not each week so much as a set amount of lineup changes a person can make after the fact for the year. That's not bad either but would prefer a one change a week type format. I've wondered if MFL can support this as I'm in a few dynasty leagues hosted on their site and there has been some talk of forming another startup and if this can be done I'll either insist on it or pass until I can find 11 other people who feel the same as me.

Not quite on point but I've often considered having flex players and/or some designated bench players get 1/2 credit for their FFL points. Not a 0 but not the full benefit of starter points. Are there leagues that do this?

Users who are viewing this thread