What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Credit Card for under 18? (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
So my daughter starts driving this month and she will be 17. I tried to add her to my credit card as an authorized user but it states she must be 18.

I'm trying to get her something for when she gets gas instead of using cash or a debit card (which I still haven't got for her yet) lol....

Is there some other option I can use? Is there like a pre pay "gift card" that I could reload or something?

TIA

So my daughter starts driving this month and she will be 17. I tried to add her to my credit card as an authorized user but it states she must be 18.

I'm trying to get her something for when she gets gas instead of using cash or a debit card (which I still haven't got for her yet) lol....

Is there some other option I can use? Is there like a pre pay "gift card" that I could reload or something?

TIA
Not sure, but both my boys have debit cards. The oldest uses his for gas all the time. And snacks at every fast foot restaurant in town apparently.

TIA
Not sure, but both my boys have debit cards. The oldest uses his for gas all the time. And snacks at every fast foot restaurant in town apparently.
We've had issues in the past with hacked debit cards so I'm leary of using it. Is it on your account or their own? I was talking about a card for her current savings account.

I set up a credit card for my oldest son last year through USAA. I had to sign on with him but he has used it spotlessly and it's helping him build his credit. He also now has a townhouse that I co-signed for, so he's hopefully going to graduate college with some solid credit history behind him.

His brother also wants a credit card. Different kids. Not in a hurry to get him one.

We've had issues in the past with hacked debit cards so I'm leary of using it. Is it on your account or their own? I was talking about a card for her current savings account.
My kids established student accounts with Chase when they turned 16. They have both savings and checking accounts available to them and a debit card for access. I am linked to their accounts, so I can see their balances and transactions. I can withdraw and deposit if needed. When they graduated, these rolled over to college student accounts...not much difference really, but I do still have access. They survived pretty well with their debit card. The youngest turned 18 this past summer and she applied for a Chase student credit card that she now has as well. But I do think one had to be 18 to get it. There are prepaid credit cards out there if you prefer that route... https://usa.visa.com/pay-with-visa/find-card/get-prepaid-card

TIA

Yes... daughter has a savings and debit through a local credit union

TIA
It's their own accounts. I opened them through USAA, where they had savings accounts already. And their jobs direct deposit into their checking accounts. I'll look into a credit card eventually but don't really want to go down that road yet. They have time to build credit, but the plan would be to get them a card sometime after they turn 18 so they can be ready to apply for apartments and such when they graduate college or move out of the house.

Yeah - I'm not trying to get her her own card, I was just going to add her to my credit card but can't.

She has a nice savings account saved up and I'm linked to it but Im still leery of using a debit card (maybe paranoia) but that's how I feel right now.

Both my kids were signed on as users with their own CC before they were 17. Not sure the problem. It's not a debit card. We just made them users on our card and got them a card in their name. Had no issue.

Must be dependent on the issuer - I was able to add my 17 year old to both my Visa (Capital One) and American Express accounts without any issue.

He is allowed to use it for gas and when we tell him it is okay for other things (like if we send him to the store or occasionally to pick up food for himself/friends), he uses his debit card or cash for the majority of his food/snacks and things with friends.

Both my kids were signed on as users with their own CC before they were 17. Not sure the problem. It's not a debit card. We just made them users on our card and got them a card in their name. Had no issue.
The problem is I have 1 Credit Card and Citibank said they need to be 18

Must be dependent on the issuer - I was able to add my 17 year old to both my Visa (Capital One) and American Express accounts without any issue.

He is allowed to use it for gas and when we tell him it is okay for other things (like if we send him to the store or occasionally to pick up food for himself/friends), he uses his debit card or cash for the majority of his food/snacks and things with friends.
I was on hold during this thread lol.... so the issue is since my citibank card is my costco card that each user on the account needs their own costco member ID and you need to be 18 for that. SO that is is the issue with my card.

Thanks for the info so far. I'll have to either open a new CC or look hooking up her savings to a debit card.

Thanks for the info so far. I'll have to either open a new CC or look hooking up her savings to a debit card.
I had to open checking accounts so my kids could get a debit card. The bank wouldn't hook one up to a savings account. I'm in Kansas so not sure if that's why but just an FYI. The accounts are all in their name only.

I had to open checking accounts so my kids could get a debit card. The bank wouldn't hook one up to a savings account. I'm in Kansas so not sure if that's why but just an FYI. The accounts are all in their name only.
You can only do that if you're not in Kansas anymore.

"Teens With Credit Cards" might be an idea for a movie. A group of high schoolers are each mistakenly given credit cards that have a 100k limit. Hilarity ensues.

Son has been on my discover card since he started driving at 16. I don't remember if they asked his age, but it's on his credit report, so they asked at least for a SSN.

Users who are viewing this thread