What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cultural Appropriation (1 Viewer)

sublimeone

Footballguy
I keep hearing about 'cultural appropriation.' Apparently Katy Perry is guilty of cultural appropriation for wearing her hair in corn rows and dressing like a geisha. And now she's taking another huge risk walking the very fine line of sexual orientation appropriation - maybe this isn't a thing yet, I'm not sure.

We know that gender appropriation is about how you identify but don't dare identify as an African-American but native American is probably OK.

And then there's the business angle, these white ladies were bullied into shutting down their burrito shop by left-wing nuts for cultural appropriation. Meanwhile George Clooney and two other white guys just sold their tequila brand, 'Casamigos Tequila' for $1B and there hasn't been a peep about cultural appropriation. 

This is all just very confusing for those of us not on the cutting edge of gender/race political correctness run amok.

Help us understand so that the next time we take a trip to the Caribbean we don't unwittingly patronize the native peoples tempting us to appropriate their culture.

Maybe some the board liberals can help clear things up for us normal folk.

howzabout black chix who wear blonde or red wigs and blue or green colored contact lenses?

can i riot yet? do i need an 'OK' from a secret white 'culture cabal'?

i'll hang up and listen 

:popcorn:

I keep hearing about 'cultural appropriation.' Apparently Katy Perry is guilty of cultural appropriation for wearing her hair in corn rows and dressing like a geisha. And now she's taking another huge risk walking the very fine line of sexual orientation appropriation - maybe this isn't a thing yet, I'm not sure.

We know that gender appropriation is about how you identify but don't dare identify as an African-American but native American is probably OK.

And then there's the business angle, these white ladies were bullied into shutting down their burrito shop by left-wing nuts for cultural appropriation. Meanwhile George Clooney and two other white guys just sold their tequila brand, 'Casamigos Tequila' for $1B and there hasn't been a peep about cultural appropriation. 

This is all just very confusing for those of us not on the cutting edge of gender/race political correctness run amok.

Help us understand so that the next time we take a trip to the Caribbean we don't unwittingly patronize the native peoples tempting us to appropriate their culture.

By the end of Trump's Presidency this won't be a thing. The left are being exposed and this kind of stuff goes against American values.

We are the melting pot, get it? We pride ourselves on being a medley of many cultures. Those who preach equality are those who typically wish to divide us.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's simple: people who use the term "cultural appropriation" un-ironically are idiots.

On the other end of the spectrum, the same goes for the term "deep state".

Like with most cultural issues, there are interesting ways to talk about cultural appropriation and uninteresting ways to talk about it.  In the case of the Burrito ladies, it appears to me that most of the criticism seems to stem from some belief that they stole the intellectual property of the Mexicans by "peeking in their windows."  I can't speak for Portland, but in DC, another coastal elite town, we have lots of white chefs who have opened Mexican restaurants after traveling to Mexico.  Mike Isabella, Todd English, etc.  While some might criticize some of these restaurants for a lack of authenticity, I've never heard it couched in the terms of cultural appropriation.

I do think that there are interesting things to say about the way that pop artists, particularly female pop artists, use cultural appropriation.  It's often used in their "dangerous" phase and something later disavowed in their "mature" phase (the latest example is Miley Cyrus).  It's not something that I think of as a political issue, but is something we should be aware of in our culture.  Because it reflects how the privileged perceive the minority culture. 

WTF is "deep state"?
According to reactionary right wing mouth-breathers, it is "a body of people, typically influential members of government agencies or the military, believed to be involved in the secret manipulation or control of government policy."

Those of us in the real world see the same things as the non-political institutions that are meant to safeguard our country and democracy. 

Like with most cultural issues, there are interesting ways to talk about cultural appropriation and uninteresting ways to talk about it.  In the case of the Burrito ladies, it appears to me that most of the criticism seems to stem from some belief that they stole the intellectual property of the Mexicans by "peeking in their windows."  I can't speak for Portland, but in DC, another coastal elite town, we have lots of white chefs who have opened Mexican restaurants after traveling to Mexico.  Mike Isabella, Todd English, etc.  While some might criticize some of these restaurants for a lack of authenticity, I've never heard it couched in the terms of cultural appropriation.
speaking of "Ah-beets" ...

quite a few pizza jernts up in this tri-state area are run by Egyptians ... now, i'm half Eye-tal- yun ??  - can i wave my 'outrage' and 'misappropriation' card without being called racist?

?

Sure. Some proposed rules for consideration:

Rule #1:  Don't be an ###hole. Respect other cultures, and if you're white understand that you've had the run of things for a while, so people who haven't might be a little sensitive about it if you "steal" an aspect of their culture and whiten it up for fun and profit without acknowledgement (think Elvis here).

Rule #2:  Don't be a crybaby. Just because someone else is being a huge crybaby doesn't mean you have to return fire. Some overzealous PC types criticizing two white girls who ran a burrito shop because of their quotes in a profile is definitely stupid, but it doesn't mean the world is ending. It's not like it's representative of a movement that's sweeping the nation. Plenty of white people sell burritos without incident. It's one-off lunacy, nothing more. There are literally thousands of more important problems to worry about every day. Have a laugh, move on, and disregard any Limbaugh poop-stirring types who try to convince you that this is a real problem.

That work for everyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
According to reactionary right wing mouth-breathers, it is "a body of people, typically influential members of government agencies or the military, believed to be involved in the secret manipulation or control of government policy."

Those of us in the real world see the same things as the non-political institutions that are meant to safeguard our country and democracy. 
Oh god am I glad that I've stayed out of all the political threads here.

Sure. Some proposed rules for consideration:

Rule #1:  Don't be an ###hole. Respect other cultures, and if you're white understand that you've had the run of things for a while, so people who haven't might be a little sensitive about it if you "steal" an aspect of their culture and whiten it up for fun and profit without acknowledgement (think Elvis here).

Rule #2:  Don't be a crybaby. Just because someone else is being a huge crybaby doesn't mean you have to return fire. Some overzealous PC types criticizing two white girls who ran a burrito shop because of their quotes in a profile is definitely stupid, but it doesn't mean the world is ending. It's not like it's representative of a movement that's sweeping the nation. Plenty of white people sell burritos without incident. It's one-off lunacy, nothing more. There are literally thousands of more important problems to worry about every day. Have a laugh, move on, and disregard any Limbaugh poop-stirring types who try to convince you that this is a real problem.

That work for everyone?
OK, so just some generally, be cool? Got it. 

What about enacting laws surrounding the idea of cultural appropriation? Yay or nay?

Oh god am I glad that I've stayed out of all the political threads here.
The upside of the media and online chuckleheads having turned politics into a MMPORG is that there are code words such as "woke" & "snowflake" & "Deep State" and use of "Trump" or "Obama" as catch-alls which identify people as among those who are gaming it for identity's sake and make it easy to navigate. The downside, of course, is that they are ruining the world's greatest democracy, buuuut whatchgonnado?!

OK, so just some generally, be cool? Got it. 

What about enacting laws surrounding the idea of cultural appropriation? Yay or nay?
That looks pretty silly at first glance. Read narrowly I guess it could be some sort of cultural IP protection scheme, but who knows.

Note, however, that what the National Review is complaining about isn't an actual UN regulation (which could be the narrow "cultural IP protection" thing I mentioned).  They're complaining about what one professor said to a UN Committee, with no indication at all that the committee would incorporate his proposal.  For all we know the guy was laughed out of the room. Without knowing more I'd say the National Review clutching its pearls over one guy's comments at the UN would be a violation of Rule #2 of my proposed rules.

Yeah, that proposal will never pass.  But if it did pass, we're essentially talking about IP protection.  Which we do in a lot of other contexts.  I mean, Urban Outfitters already can't completely rip off that guy's fantasy football excuses tee shirt design.  This would add "Navajo Hipster Panties" to that list.  Which I think is unworkable, but not really a moral outrage on an order beyond other IP protections. 

It should also be pointed out that at its root, that proposal is in many ways, conservative in the Hernando de Soto sense.  Which is to say that the best way to eliminate global poverty is by implementing a property regime. 

It's not like it's representative of a movement that's sweeping the nation. Plenty of white people sell burritos without incident. It's one-off lunacy, nothing more.
It's not sweeping the nation, no. But it is pretty representative of what passes for "mainstream" thought on a lot of university campuses these days. 

The whole "cultural appropriation" idea and how it is couched is textbook post-modernism, which is seems to be the default lens of liberal arts academics. And post-modernism is really just a repackaging of Marxism.

It's not sweeping the nation, no. But it is pretty representative of what passes for "mainstream" thought on a lot of university campuses these days. 

The whole "cultural appropriation" idea and how it is couched is textbook post-modernism, which is seems to be the default lens of liberal arts academics. And post-modernism is really just a repackaging of Marxism.
There's a lot of big words here, but bottom line I'm pretty sure white people are selling burritos on college campuses all across America.

can't wait 'til they come calling for. "Cash Me Outside" girl ... please appropriate her skank ### outta our consciousness. 

TIA

There's a lot of big words here, but bottom line I'm pretty sure white people are selling burritos on college campuses all across America.
Missing the point. The origin of the concept of cultural appropriation and every other ridiculously over-the-top manifestation of political correctness is the same. It comes from college campuses and specifically from post-modernist doctrine.

speaking of "Ah-beets" ...

quite a few pizza jernts up in this tri-state area are run by Egyptians ... now, i'm half Eye-tal- yun ??  - can i wave my 'outrage' and 'misappropriation' card without being called racist?

?
Not to derail this wonderful thread, but:

I was talking to my father, mentioned that an Eastern European guy I used to work with bought into  pizza franchise.  My dad grumbles something about it not being real Italian, blah blah blah.  A couple years later, I was talking about a pizza place he used to go to when I was a kid called Guiseppe's or something similar.  My dad said he used to go to school with the guy that owned it.  The owner's name was like Joe O'Brien or something totally Irish.

Missing the point. The origin of the concept of cultural appropriation and every other ridiculously over-the-top manifestation of political correctness is the same. It comes from college campuses and specifically from post-modernist doctrine.
I still say the origin of the concept of cultural appropriation is people figuring out Elvis stole his #### from Chuck Berry, but we can agree to disagree.

Anyway, college campuses have been bastions of political correctness that sometimes crosses the line into absurdity for decades now, and as far as I can tell nothing awful has come of it yet. If anything campus-based silliness like the PC movement of the early 90s  matured into progress on gay rights and other social issues when Gen X grew up and was able to focus their efforts on actual injustices instead of silly made-up ones. So I think we'll be OK. 

But feel free to check back after we deal with climate change, affordable access to health care and the insane egomaniac whom we decided to give the power to singlehandedly destroy the human race for some reason and I'll see what I can do to lend a hand ;)

Users who are viewing this thread