What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cutler or Orton, who is the better QB (1 Viewer)

better?

• Cutler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orton

• Dead Even

• Total voters
Cutler hands down. He can make the throws Orton only dreams of. Orton is a system QB, Cutler has the ability to be great anywhere.
Are you talking about interceptions?
Since Cutler is 11th among active QBs in QB rating and Orton is 21st, I'll take Cutler, thanks.
:pirate: That is a great way to pick which QB you want.
Since QB rating includes INT's, TD's, completion %, etc. it is a little less biased than cherry-picking individual stats. :shrug: Although, QB rating doesn't include mobility and scrambling, which I'd also give to Cutler.

Why, is there a stat you'd prefer to look at that is more a measure of the QBs actual abilities? Please share with the class.

I believe it is Chase Stuart who is always talking about how important the yards per attempt stat is. Right now, Cutler is 2nd in the NFL with a YPA of 8.94, behind only Philip Rivers. Orton is 4th with 8.11. In other words, both guys have played pretty well overall so far this season. Orton is definitely better than many used to think so, and Cutler is not as mediocre as some make him out to be. Both are above average NFL quarterbacks. The end.

Last edited by a moderator:
orton could be a hall of fame qb and i dont think hell ever get over the silly stigma hes been carrying ever since being forced into action as a rookie despite being drafted as a PROJECT QB.

73 more attempts. Sure Cutler would have more INTs but he'd also have at least 4 TDs more than Orton.Where's this going again? You point out Orton has more Yards on 73 more attempts. Well no ####
Actually I pointed out all the stats...

Cutler hands down. He can make the throws Orton only dreams of. Orton is a system QB, Cutler has the ability to be great anywhere.
Are you talking about interceptions?
Since Cutler is 11th among active QBs in QB rating and Orton is 21st, I'll take Cutler, thanks.
:wall: That is a great way to pick which QB you want.
Since QB rating includes INT's, TD's, completion %, etc. it is a little less biased than cherry-picking individual stats. :shrug: Although, QB rating doesn't include mobility and scrambling, which I'd also give to Cutler.

Why, is there a stat you'd prefer to look at that is more a measure of the QBs actual abilities? Please share with the class.
Wins and loses, sparky.

Since QB rating includes INT's, TD's, completion %, etc. it is a little less biased than cherry-picking individual stats. :goodposting:Although, QB rating doesn't include mobility and scrambling, which I'd also give to Cutler.Why, is there a stat you'd prefer to look at that is more a measure of the QBs actual abilities? Please share with the class.
Wins and loses, sparky.
WinsOrton- 2 Cutler- 3Orton- Seattle and at TennesseeCutler- Detroit, Green Bay, and at DallasPretty easy to see.....Sparky

Since QB rating includes INT's, TD's, completion %, etc. it is a little less biased than cherry-picking individual stats. :goodposting:Although, QB rating doesn't include mobility and scrambling, which I'd also give to Cutler.Why, is there a stat you'd prefer to look at that is more a measure of the QBs actual abilities? Please share with the class.
Wins and loses, sparky.
WinsOrton- 2 Cutler- 3Orton- Seattle and at TennesseeCutler- Detroit, Green Bay, and at DallasPretty easy to see.....Sparky
Pretty small sample size you're using... Plus as we all know, GB self destructed, DET lost on stupidity, and Dallas didn't play that week.Let's see the WL records in a few weeks.ETA - I don't believe all wins are necessarily on the QB, nor all losses. On each team the QB's role varies, fromTom Brady's first season, Roethlisbergers first season, and Dilfers SB run where the QB has to do very little, to Tom Brady's 07 season and Peyton Manning every season or Dan Marino's years in Miami where the QB is expected to carry the team.

Wins and loses, sparky.
Pretty small sample size you're using... Plus as we all know, GB self destructed, DET lost on stupidity, and Dallas didn't play that week.Let's see the WL records in a few weeks.
It couldn't be anything with Cutler....Classic Switz.

:kicksrock: at all this talk this week, where was all this last week?

The guy is leading a 3-1 team, has the 7th best passer rating, 4th in AY/A, and had a pretty nice game against an above average Dallas defense. He got killed by the 2nd best pass defense in the NFL - although it might be premature to call them that as they've played Tennessee and Carolina, they did keep Peyton Manning to his lowest yardage of the year.

All I'm saying is I'm making offers for him in every league I can.

In 2008 the Denver Broncos defense ranked 29th in the league.

In 2009 the Denver Broncos defense ranked 7th in the league.

Both teams finished 8-8 with similar offensive pieces, except at quarterback. Cutler QB'd the 08 team, and Orton the 09 team.

22 spots in defense ranking should be worth 8 wins ALONE, yet the teams finished with the same record. Anyone trying to use 2008 as anything other than an example of how Cutler can win games for you is completely crazy.

Over the last few years teams that had a defense as bad as Denver's 2008 defense finished a combined 18-67 for a .211 win pct. Denver with Cutler and the same defense was .500. Only two quarterbacks have finished .500 or better with a defense that bad. Jay Cutler and Kurt Warner.

Over the last few years teams that had a defense as good as Denver's 2009 defense finished a combined 135-72 for a .652 win pct. Dnever with Orton and the same defense was .500. Only two quarterbacks have failed to finish with a winning record with a defense ranked that highly. Kyle Orton and Jason Campbell.

In 2008 the Denver Broncos defense ranked 29th in the league.In 2009 the Denver Broncos defense ranked 7th in the league.Both teams finished 8-8 with similar offensive pieces, except at quarterback. Cutler QB'd the 08 team, and Orton the 09 team.22 spots in defense ranking should be worth 8 wins ALONE, yet the teams finished with the same record. Anyone trying to use 2008 as anything other than an example of how Cutler can win games for you is completely crazy.Over the last few years teams that had a defense as bad as Denver's 2008 defense finished a combined 18-67 for a .211 win pct. Denver with Cutler and the same defense was .500. Only two quarterbacks have finished .500 or better with a defense that bad. Jay Cutler and Kurt Warner.Over the last few years teams that had a defense as good as Denver's 2009 defense finished a combined 135-72 for a .652 win pct. Dnever with Orton and the same defense was .500. Only two quarterbacks have failed to finish with a winning record with a defense ranked that highly. Kyle Orton and Jason Campbell.
:sadbanana:

:thumbup: at all this talk this week, where was all this last week?The guy is leading a 3-1 team, has the 7th best passer rating, 4th in AY/A, and had a pretty nice game against an above average Dallas defense. He got killed by the 2nd best pass defense in the NFL - although it might be premature to call them that as they've played Tennessee and Carolina, they did keep Peyton Manning to his lowest yardage of the year. All I'm saying is I'm making offers for him in every league I can.
A lot of it was there last week 2 as he was not all that sharp against the Packers.I laugh at people acting as if this is all just over one week...just as much as I laugh at supporters continuing to try to base things over just 4 games this year and not carreer for both guys.Cutler has more talent IMO by a decent margin.Orton seems to be a better overall QB right now.He won't kill you, but he can make the throws to put his team over the top and lead them to a win too.

Since QB rating includes INT's, TD's, completion %, etc. it is a little less biased than cherry-picking individual stats. :shrug:Although, QB rating doesn't include mobility and scrambling, which I'd also give to Cutler.Why, is there a stat you'd prefer to look at that is more a measure of the QBs actual abilities? Please share with the class.
Wins and loses, sparky.
You're either :fishing: or simply understand very little about football. Either way, I'm done here.Oh and Switz, please stop saying wins are all about the QB in this thread, and arguing that wins have little to with the QB in the "Brady's 100th win" thread. TIA.

In 2008 the Denver Broncos defense ranked 29th in the league.In 2009 the Denver Broncos defense ranked 7th in the league.Both teams finished 8-8 with similar offensive pieces, except at quarterback. Cutler QB'd the 08 team, and Orton the 09 team.22 spots in defense ranking should be worth 8 wins ALONE, yet the teams finished with the same record. Anyone trying to use 2008 as anything other than an example of how Cutler can win games for you is completely crazy.Over the last few years teams that had a defense as bad as Denver's 2008 defense finished a combined 18-67 for a .211 win pct. Denver with Cutler and the same defense was .500. Only two quarterbacks have finished .500 or better with a defense that bad. Jay Cutler and Kurt Warner.Over the last few years teams that had a defense as good as Denver's 2009 defense finished a combined 135-72 for a .652 win pct. Dnever with Orton and the same defense was .500. Only two quarterbacks have failed to finish with a winning record with a defense ranked that highly. Kyle Orton and Jason Campbell.
So having a new head coach had no effect on a team as far as wins either right?And yes, an increase in defense most certainly helps.As does having a QB not turn the ball over putting the defense in a bad position at times which Cutler has done more often than Orton the past 3 seasons.Is there no end to what excuses Cutler supporters will make for his own play?

Since QB rating includes INT's, TD's, completion %, etc. it is a little less biased than cherry-picking individual stats. :shrug:Although, QB rating doesn't include mobility and scrambling, which I'd also give to Cutler.Why, is there a stat you'd prefer to look at that is more a measure of the QBs actual abilities? Please share with the class.
Wins and loses, sparky.
You're either ;) or simply understand very little about football. Either way, I'm done here.Oh and Switz, please stop saying wins are all about the QB in this thread, and arguing that wins have little to with the QB in the "Brady's 100th win" thread. TIA.
Taking your ball and going home? :thumbup:

So having a new head coach had no effect on a team as far as wins either right?And yes, an increase in defense most certainly helps.As does having a QB not turn the ball over putting the defense in a bad position at times which Cutler has done more often than Orton the past 3 seasons.Is there no end to what excuses Cutler supporters will make for his own play?
A new head coach and a completely new offensive system for all the offensive players, and obviously a new system for the new quarterback. Royal for one has openly said how lost he was last year in the new system.Also Denver's defense was a Jekyll and Hyde last year. Early in the year they played lights out, surrendering 11 points a game over the first six games, when the team went 6-0. Over the last ten games they were very pedestrian, giving up 26 points a game, and the team went 2-8.

As does having a QB not turn the ball over putting the defense in a bad position at times which Cutler has done more often than Orton the past 3 seasons.
Those rankings were based on yards (points allowed rankings were basically the same as well), so it takes the turnovers out of it. And don't say that the turnovers led to more plays to rack up more yards, because the Denver defense was actually on the field for fewer plays in 2008 (probably because they gave up so many long scores). Denver defense 2008 gave up 6.05 yards per play. Denver defense 2009 gave up 5.0 yards per play. That's a huge difference.
Also Denver's defense was a Jekyll and Hyde last year. Early in the year they played lights out, surrendering 11 points a game over the first six games, when the team went 6-0. Over the last ten games they were very pedestrian, giving up 26 points a game, and the team went 2-8.
How does that support the Orton side of the argument? If anything, that just proves the Cutler side even more.So Orton was basically spotted a 6 game headstart with a defense that Charlie Batch could have gone 6-0 with, and STILL couldn't finish with a better record. You lament that the Denver defense gave up 26 ppg down the stretch last year which led to Orton going 2-8, yet Cutler's defense in 2008 gave up MORE points per game than that and he was still .500 (compared to Orton's .200 when his defense played poorly).

i dont feel like doing it but theres a lot more to look at than ppg or yardage allowed.

for example they ran it ~44% last year compared to 38% the year before

that change alone is going to make the defense look a lot better because the games will be shorter.

what the offense does has a huge effect on how the defense looks. a lot of very untimely turnovers that turn games into shootouts could be a good example.

Oh and Switz, please stop saying wins are all about the QB in this thread, and arguing that wins have little to with the QB in the "Brady's 100th win" thread. TIA.
Do you not know how to read? I didn't say wins are all about the QB in this thread, nor that they have little to do with the QB in the Brady thread. In both threads I have had the same position - the QBs influence on wins and losses vary by team and the role the QB is needed to play, and what position the QB puts the team in.Early in Brady's career, he was asked to do very little to help the team win. On the other hand in '07 he was asked to carry the team. Same player, different team makeup, different level of responsibility on the teams W-L record.In Denver Cutler was asked to lead the team to wins, just as Orton is now. Cutler frequently put the team behind by throwing picks, which Orton hasn't done with as much frequency. In Chicago, Cutler has a team that asks the defense to own a larger share of wins and losses, as they did as well when Orton was there. In both situations, Cutler hasn't won with the frequency Orton has.

i dont feel like doing it but theres a lot more to look at than ppg or yardage allowed. for example they ran it ~44% last year compared to 38% the year before that change alone is going to make the defense look a lot better because the games will be shorter. what the offense does has a huge effect on how the defense looks. a lot of very untimely turnovers that turn games into shootouts could be a good example.
Were you alive during 2008 and 2009? You don't need a single stat to know that the two defenses were in no way even remotely comparable. All you need is a set of eyes.Heck, you didn't even have to watch the games, you could just read these boards. Not being able to hold onto Nolan, who had turned the defense around, was one of the things McDaniels was chastized for this offseason on these boards. You joined in 2008, so you were here. You're aware that during the 2008 season Denver was one of the teams that you put lesser players in against because it was such a good matchup, and during the 2009 season they were not. Just think back.This has been happening a lot lately on these boards. People conveniently "forget" something that they considered common knowledge less than a year ago.

:moneybag:
What was the difference in defensive ranking? Maybe the opponent's offense having fewer opportunities to score, since the QB didn't turn the ball over as much. General stats out of context don't prove anything.

As does having a QB not turn the ball over putting the defense in a bad position at times which Cutler has done more often than Orton the past 3 seasons.
Those rankings were based on yards (points allowed rankings were basically the same as well), so it takes the turnovers out of it. And don't say that the turnovers led to more plays to rack up more yards, because the Denver defense was actually on the field for fewer plays in 2008 (probably because they gave up so many long scores). Denver defense 2008 gave up 6.05 yards per play. Denver defense 2009 gave up 5.0 yards per play. That's a huge difference.
Also Denver's defense was a Jekyll and Hyde last year. Early in the year they played lights out, surrendering 11 points a game over the first six games, when the team went 6-0. Over the last ten games they were very pedestrian, giving up 26 points a game, and the team went 2-8.
How does that support the Orton side of the argument? If anything, that just proves the Cutler side even more.So Orton was basically spotted a 6 game headstart with a defense that Charlie Batch could have gone 6-0 with, and STILL couldn't finish with a better record. You lament that the Denver defense gave up 26 ppg down the stretch last year which led to Orton going 2-8, yet Cutler's defense in 2008 gave up MORE points per game than that and he was still .500 (compared to Orton's .200 when his defense played poorly).
I don't know that it helps Orton's case, but I think the defensive rankings you are basing so much of that post on are misleading, i.e. "22 spots in defense ranking should be worth 8 wins ALONE". The clear implication there is that with the #9 ranked defense, Orton should have been able to virtually coast and still win more games, but in reality when the team struggled last year, the defense was not playing anything like their defensive ranking would indicate. And I guess you're going to continue to dodge the point that Orton was a new QB in a new system with an all new coaching staff, whereas Cutler had three years in the same system, and maybe that might account for some of the statistical differences as much as their respective talents at QB?

In Denver Cutler was asked to lead the team to wins, just as Orton is now. Cutler frequently put the team behind by throwing picks, which Orton hasn't done with as much frequency.
:pickle:When leading or tied, Orton threw an interception on a higher percentage of his passes than Cutler did (2.3% vs. 2.1%). Cutler just attempted a lot more passes. Cutler's INT numbers are inflated from games that the defense got blown out early and forced the offense to air it out early and often. Cutler's INT percentage when the game was actually close in Denver was actually better than average, and better than Orton's. This idea that Denver got behind as a result of Cutler's turnovers is a myth, at least as it pertains to his time in Denver.

:unsure:
What was the difference in defensive ranking? Maybe the opponent's offense having fewer opportunities to score, since the QB didn't turn the ball over as much. General stats out of context don't prove anything.
I've already responded to this. Please read up above. Those rankings are already based on yards (points were also about the same). The yards per play numbers aren't even close, 2008 is 20% higher, per play.Btw, this massive difference in turnovers from the QB you're talking about is 5. How five turnovers can be turned into 140 points is beyond me, but maybe you know a way.

In Denver Cutler was asked to lead the team to wins, just as Orton is now. Cutler frequently put the team behind by throwing picks, which Orton hasn't done with as much frequency.
:thumbup:When leading or tied, Orton threw an interception on a higher percentage of his passes than Cutler did (2.3% vs. 2.1%). Cutler just attempted a lot more passes. Cutler's INT numbers are inflated from games that the defense got blown out early and forced the offense to air it out early and often. Cutler's INT percentage when the game was actually close in Denver was actually better than average, and better than Orton's. This idea that Denver got behind as a result of Cutler's turnovers is a myth, at least as it pertains to his time in Denver.
2.3 to 2.1 is not a huge difference.And lumping trailing by 3 with trailing by 20 into one category doesn't paint an adequate picture.In reality, in '08, Cutler threw 1 INT per 30.6 attempts while they were leading, only 1 per 50 attempts when they were losing but the game was within reach. Down by a larger score, he threw one per 23.4 attempts. His INTs were evenly distributed between halves, and he threw less INTs in the 4th quarter than he did in the third.There just isn't much substance to the idea that his INTs came because they were down, over them being down because of the INTs.Let's look at this a little more closely, shall we?2008 week 4, Denver crushed 33-19, must be all the D fault, right? Both of Cutler's INTs came when the game was within three points. While KC didn't score off either turnover, it killed DEN's scoring chance, and forced the Denver D to be on the field for two more drives it shouldn't have been.2008 week7, Cutler throws 2 INTs, the second was well after they were blown out, but the first was in the second half, only down 13, a game well within reach.2008 week 9 versus Miami, Cutler throws 3 TDs, the first one is on the very first drive of the game, Cutler throws a pick. After Miami gets a whopping 2 FG lead, still in the first quarter, and Cutler throws an INT that goes back for a TD. Then, early in the 4th quarter, Miami still only leading by 6, Cutler throws another pick, that ends up with Miami scoring a FG. All three were when the game was well within reach.You can argue all you want, but when you take into consideration the exact situations where the INTs were thrown, it's obvious Cutler's INTs were not due to the team being "blown out" and him trying to catch up. And frequently, the reason the D looked bad was because Cutler put them in bad situations.

2.3 to 2.1 is not a huge difference.And lumping trailing by 3 with trailing by 20 into one category doesn't paint an adequate picture.In reality, in '08, Cutler threw 1 INT per 30.6 attempts while they were leading, only 1 per 50 attempts when they were losing but the game was within reach. Down by a larger score, he threw one per 23.4 attempts. His INTs were evenly distributed between halves, and he threw less INTs in the 4th quarter than he did in the third.There just isn't much substance to the idea that his INTs came because they were down, over them being down because of the INTs.Let's look at this a little more closely, shall we?2008 week 4, Denver crushed 33-19, must be all the D fault, right? Both of Cutler's INTs came when the game was within three points. While KC didn't score off either turnover, it killed DEN's scoring chance, and forced the Denver D to be on the field for two more drives it shouldn't have been.2008 week7, Cutler throws 2 INTs, the second was well after they were blown out, but the first was in the second half, only down 13, a game well within reach.2008 week 9 versus Miami, Cutler throws 3 TDs, the first one is on the very first drive of the game, Cutler throws a pick. After Miami gets a whopping 2 FG lead, still in the first quarter, and Cutler throws an INT that goes back for a TD. Then, early in the 4th quarter, Miami still only leading by 6, Cutler throws another pick, that ends up with Miami scoring a FG. All three were when the game was well within reach.You can argue all you want, but when you take into consideration the exact situations where the INTs were thrown, it's obvious Cutler's INTs were not due to the team being "blown out" and him trying to catch up. And frequently, the reason the D looked bad was because Cutler put them in bad situations.
The fact that you had to go all the way to week 9 to find three examples of this, with one of them being a pretty big stretch with a 13 point differential in the 2nd half, pretty much proves my point. With that criteria, you can find similar examples for ANY qb.Heck, the first name I pulled up just for kicks was Peyton Manning. In weeks 1 and 2 last year he threw an interception during a tie game, and then in week 3 he threw an interception in a game that they trailed by 3. That's right, I didn't even have to go past week 3 to find three (better) examples from the best quarterback in the league. I'm sure you would find the same if you looked up Kyle Orton, as you would with any QB that throws more than ~5 interceptions (hint, that means almost all of them).Like I said, the difference in turnovers by the QB in 2008 vs. 2009 was 5. The difference in points allowed was 140. There's no way to score anywhere near 140 points from 5 turnovers.Unfortunately nfl.com is acting wonky and isn't showing INTs in situational stats right now, but I remember this coming up a few years ago and I believe the numbers were than 8 of Cutler's 18 INTs came when the team was already trailing by double digits.
why would the defense give up more yards per play bc of a cutler turnover?
They are on the field more frequently, so they are more tired.... just a possibility, not saying it's fact.
Except that the defense was on the field for more plays in 2009. Whoops.

Cutler is immature and a bit of a headcase. Although, he seems more mature now than when he was in Denver. As things go sour, his attitude will too.

Orton can make every throw. He could throw over 74 yards while in High School. That's plenty.

Orton has the most 25+ yard receptions this year. Has the second most passing yards through 4 games in NFL history and has 4 WRs who have broken every NFL passing record. He is a better decision maker, doesn't fumble, doesn't turn over the ball, is mentally tougher, very humble, has no sticks up his ###, and is surrounded by the best offensive line in the NFL (once they are all healthy), he was getting killed last week.

Cutler may have God-given talent, but so does Orton and so did Jeff George, Kyle Boller, Ryan Leaf. There is way more to it than just arm strength. Both are about the same age and Orton has been playing 2 more years than Cutler.

We will never have an answer to "Who is better Cutler or Orton?" but it will come up every year. Until they both retire and their careers are over, we won't really know.

If I had to pick one right now to build a team around... I'd pick Orton. Cutler's attitude is too much of a liability when you are trying to build.

Denver is going to do some awesome things this year with their spread attack, and it's going to be fun to watch.

No one is throwing around DVOA/DVAR?

Better measure than QB Rating IMO, which does not penalize taking sacks/fumbles, doesn't adjust for context, etc.

2010: Orton DVOA: 31.2%, DVAR: 518 (2)

2009: Orton DVOA: 13.3% (17) DVAR: 877 (12)

2008: Orton DVOA: -.9% (25) DVAR: 334 (21)

2010: Cutler DVOA: 1.0%, DVAR: 90 (19)

2009: Cutler DVOA: -17.0% (30), DVAR: -222 (36)

2008: Cutler DVOA: 22.0% (7th), DVAR: 1380 (5)

Even if you think they preformed similarly over the 3 year stretch, wouldn't you take the guy who has all the intangibles, is the better leader, and shows mental toughness?

2010 Week 4 - both faced adversity, getting sacked early and often. One QB went into the fetal position and stopped even looking for his WRs. One QB bounced back and lead the 4th quarter go ahead TD drive. You do the math.

You want this guy leading your football team: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDQScvxHCFw

Seriously?

As a Bears fan I was terribly excited last year when we got Cutler. Not that I disliked Orton, but I just felt like he was very limited and in 25 yrs as a Bears fan, never saw a qb with the tools that Cutler has. But almost a year and a half in, I would absolutely take Orton. Intangibles and smarts at the position are so important, and Orton kills Cutler in both areas.

And frequently, the reason the D looked bad was because Cutler put them in bad situations.
They are on the field more frequently, so they are more tired.... just a possibility, not saying it's fact.
according to pfr, in 2009 the broncos ran 1032 offensive plays and 1007 defensive plays.in 2008, the broncos ran 1019 offensive plays and 990 defensive plays.

Cutler>Orton>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>monkey throwing feces>>>>>Leinart
:confused:

hey malo since u seem to be practically clairvoyant about the broncos how long until D Thomas is relevant?
They keep interspersing him on and off. The other guys are doing so well that they don't really need him. Plus, he's made a few mistakes the past 2 games. I think they will use him sparingly until he figures out everything.If they play a team that is thin at the CB position or has really small CBs, he may get more looks or be on the field more often. Baltimore is one of those teams. Denver is not even going to try to run. They may on the first few plays of each drive in the first quarter to keep Baltimore honest, but they are going to air it out. With Gaffney, Lloyd and Royal doing so well, Thomas will get minimal looks. Although this is a week where we may see a lil more of him. The next game is the Jets and they like picking on Cromartie, so they may use him there opposite Revis (if he is playing). They probably won't run much the next few weeks.Then tehir schedule gets real soft, and they can throw him in more often and let him grow and develop.

2.3 to 2.1 is not a huge difference.Let's look at this a little more closely, shall we?2008 week 4, Denver crushed 33-19, must be all the D fault, right? Both of Cutler's INTs came when the game was within three points. While KC didn't score off either turnover, it killed DEN's scoring chance, and forced the Denver D to be on the field for two more drives it shouldn't have been.2008 week7, Cutler throws 2 INTs, the second was well after they were blown out, but the first was in the second half, only down 13, a game well within reach.2008 week 9 versus Miami, Cutler throws 3 TDs, the first one is on the very first drive of the game, Cutler throws a pick. After Miami gets a whopping 2 FG lead, still in the first quarter, and Cutler throws an INT that goes back for a TD. Then, early in the 4th quarter, Miami still only leading by 6, Cutler throws another pick, that ends up with Miami scoring a FG. All three were when the game was well within reach.You can argue all you want, but when you take into consideration the exact situations where the INTs were thrown, it's obvious Cutler's INTs were not due to the team being "blown out" and him trying to catch up. And frequently, the reason the D looked bad was because Cutler put them in bad situations.
The fact that you had to go all the way to week 9 to find three examples of this, with one of them being a pretty big stretch with a 13 point differential in the 2nd half, pretty much proves my point. With that criteria, you can find similar examples for ANY qb.Unfortunately nfl.com is acting wonky and isn't showing INTs in situational stats right now, but I remember this coming up a few years ago and I believe the numbers were than 8 of Cutler's 18 INTs came when the team was already trailing by double digits.
Except that the defense was on the field for more plays in 2009. Whoops.
I actually just looked at his first three multi-INT games in '08, there was no cherry picking. And the difference is that you claimed the reason he threw the INTs was because they were down, my point as backed up is that simply wasn't the reason. And 13 points is not a huge lead, getting "blown out" - we've seen plenty of QBs come back from that - that's what makes them good QBs. If you're implying that a 13 point deficit is simply too much to ask Cutler to overcome, then I guess you are acknowledging he's not a great QB. I dunno.As for the defense question, I didn't look it up, just merely stated a hypothetical reason that could be the case, so you can drop the sarcasm. Additionally, playing 15 plays - a 5 minutes break - 15 more plays, is quite different than 12 plays - a 1 minute break - and 12 more plays. That again is hypothetical, but in the second case, the defense would have fewer plays, but likely be more tired. And the numbers were that Cutler threw 7 INTS when down by 9-16 points, 5 when down by more than that. Again, 9-16 isn't a huge deficit depending on how much time is left in the game when you have a good QB.

And frequently, the reason the D looked bad was because Cutler put them in bad situations.
according to pfr, in 2009 the broncos ran 1032 offensive plays and 1007 defensive plays.in 2008, the broncos ran 1019 offensive plays and 990 defensive plays.
That's about 1 defensive play per game different. Basically a wash as far as number of plays goes...

That's about 1 defensive play per game different. Basically a wash as far as number of plays goes...
ya, i mean, that was my whole point. remember, you were the one that was arguing that cutlers turnovers put them on the field more. fortunately, this forum conveniently nests the quotes so that you can even revisit the origins of the discussion, if you are comprehension skills are capable.

cvnpoka said:
switz said:
cvnpoka said:
switz said:
ya, i mean, that was my whole point. remember, you were the one that was arguing that cutlers turnovers put them on the field more. fortunately, this forum conveniently nests the quotes so that you can even revisit the origins of the discussion, if you are comprehension skills are capable.
I don't think I'm the one who needs to brush up on my comprehension skills

Users who are viewing this thread