What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

D&D anyone? (1 Viewer)

NCCommish

Footballguy
Forgive my poor search skills if I missed an existent thread. It doesn't seem like we have a discussion thread going. I thought it might be fun to discuss games, mechanics, being the DM, whatever related topic might come up.

I am currently playing in a longterm(over 2 years so far) partially homebrew campaign. We are in Chult loosely playing Tomb of Annihilation with our main characters.  We are doing a side quest with backup characters that our DM wrote himself for Halloween season. Lots of RP(role play).

I have started YouTubing the sessions so people who can't be there can still see what happened.

I am currently playing in a longterm(over 2 years so far) partially homebrew campaign. We are in Chult loosely playing Tomb of Annihilation with our main characters.  We are doing a side quest with backup characters that our DM wrote himself for Halloween season. Lots of RP(role play).

?

2 years...

That's pretty cool that it can last that long. I had no idea. I thought you could play in a day or two

We played well into adulthood, but eventually lost steam and have not played in years.  I miss it and have been trying to get the group back together for a while. 

I'll put out the link a little later. Very raw no production stuff done.  Lots of crosstalk and other things you aren't supposed to do. All shot on the notebooks camera and using the built in mic.

There is a fairly popular D&D twitch channel (I forget the name right now) that I watch from time to time.  It is very well done and the DM is very quick and concise to keep things moving.

I played my first game with Hags as DM. Kid is masterful. I just couldn't do it weekly. My kids have too much stuff going on. 

BigSteelThrill said:
Very cool NCC.  We haven't done anything for quite some time, but the next time we start another Roleplaying campaign it will assuredly be Batletech.
Man I was big into Battletech. I still have a bunch of stuff in the garage rafters I can’t bring myself to let go of.  Break it out every few years and reminisce about a period in my life where I was a non-sex having supernerd.  Sadly not much has changed in the last 30 years.

If you ever do spin something up, ping me.  

Man I was big into Battletech. I still have a bunch of stuff in the garage rafters I can’t bring myself to let go of.  Break it out every few years and reminisce about a period in my life where I was a non-sex having supernerd.  Sadly not much has changed in the last 30 years.

If you ever do spin something up, ping me.  
Don't let it go!  ?

Do you play the whole role playing part, or just the 'mech fighting?  We are very player character and story driven. 

My husband and his brother have a weekly dnd night with my #4,5,6. They all love it and it’s been really good for all their relationships. 

Who are your favorite DMs in the content creation space? I know everyone loves Matt Mercer, but I have a couple favorites I rank above him.

First is Matt Colville and his "Running the Game" YouTube series. He packs a ton of content into each episode and has a very common sense approach to every scenario a DM encounters in game or at the table.

But my favorite DM running a game right now is Rodrigo Lopez from Critical Hit. They are still running a 4E campaign and I think his style is impeccable. I've never even played 4E (started with 5E release) and am still super impressed with how he enables player agency within his broad, overarching campaign narrative.

Who are your favorite DMs in the content creation space? I know everyone loves Matt Mercer, but I have a couple favorites I rank above him.

First is Matt Colville and his "Running the Game" YouTube series. He packs a ton of content into each episode and has a very common sense approach to every scenario a DM encounters in game or at the table.

But my favorite DM running a game right now is Rodrigo Lopez from Critical Hit. They are still running a 4E campaign and I think his style is impeccable. I've never even played 4E (started with 5E release) and am still super impressed with how he enables player agency within his broad, overarching campaign narrative.
How do you get started on the professional DD circuit

?

Started playing 5th edition after not playing since Basic. Somehow got roped into being DM. Got through the Starter adventure and Hoard of the Dragon Queen so far.

Running ToA for my 15-year group now.  Ping me if your interested in sharing stuff.  Fighting our way through Omu at the moment.
Wow you guys have been playing for 15 years? That's impressive. I think Omu is where we are headed after the Halloween quest.

I don't really watch people play often. My DM has started to play in some online one shots so I have watched a bit of those. But to be honest I have never made.it through a whole episode of Critical Role. I always fall asleep. Kind of like baseball for me. Like to play, rarely watch.

As far as content guys in general I like quite a few. Big fan of Nerdarchy, Puffin Forest, Digital Dungeon Master, Geek and Sundry, D&D Beyond, Great GM and a few others.

How do you get started on the professional DD circuit
There are several ways people get started. For instance we play every week at a game store where we have a private room. People will drop by and watch us play and have approached our DM about hosting one shots for them which they would pay him to do. I know some people who started like that and through word of mouth got big. Also of course building an online presence. Playing in popular online games, doing interviews on popular channels,  building up a Twitter following, get your own YouTube channel going, etc. It can pay well but it takes a while to build it to the point it's your job. 

I'm going to get my notebook fired up and get links to those who requested them. We played kind of late last night then I had a bunch of run around early today so haven't gotten to it yet. 

Again these are very raw if you will. They are mainly meant for people who miss the session so they can keep up. So no production and all that. Kind of like a video podcast as we don't really show people much. Some are shy about camera time. Lots of inside jokes and general tomfoolery. Just trying to set appropriate expectations. 

Currently working on a webseries, starting up a weekly Wednesday night brewery partnership called dungeonbarcrawl, playing in two home campaigns.

I'm in a bit deep.
Weekly brewery/bar game send like the perfect thing to replace bar poker which faded and left a vacuum. 

Have always wanted to play a real game of DnD with actual players and a DM and all that but never really found the opportunity.  Looking forward to those links NC!  I recently 'stumbled' into some like-minded souls out of the blue who may be interested in starting something up.

Looks like I got some youtubes to watch tonight.

Don't let it go!  ?

Do you play the whole role playing part, or just the 'mech fighting?  We are very player character and story driven. 
Mech fighting but could expand my horizons a bit. Just need someone to point me to some reference materials. 

Mech fighting but could expand my horizons a bit. Just need someone to point me to some reference materials. 
Having the characters drive the story (like D&D, et al.) in the world that the GM lays out in front of them, and then manipulates is a ton of fun.  Its often all the players doing their best away from the 'mechs, and then eventually ending up in 'mech combat scenarios that the GM designs that fit the story line. Lots of intrigue and drama. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Played for awhile under 3.5E rules and loved them.  Apparently Paizo paid the licensing fee, made a few tweaks to the ruleset and has continued to crank out content.  Anyone play those?

Been playing for nigh on 35 years now - apart from the parts I've lived outside Denmark. Got into a good group about 30 years ago and we still meet 8-10 times a year. 

And I've started a new group with my kids, my nephew, the husband of one of my nieces and the current boyfriend of my oldest daughter. Hoard of the Dragon Queen, although we'll branch off soon into some of my own writing because there are a couple of chapters that are just plain stupid that I'm replacing.

:blackdot:

This is a timely post for me. My neighbor and I were just talking to our kids about D&D last week. I just told my mom yesterday that I need to stop by and dig my old books out to show them. Nothing more current than AD&D stuff from the early/mid-80's.

Last edited by a moderator:
:blackdot:

This is a timely post for me. My neighbor and I were just talking to our kids about D&D last week. I just told my mom yesterday that I need to stop by and dig my old books out to show them. Nothing more current than AD&D stuff from the early/mid-80's.
5th Edition is better

Users who are viewing this thread