What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

D. Ryans vs G. Hayes (1 Viewer)

4 - Digit Shark

Footballguy
After following FBG's advice for IDP's, I ended up with Ryans and Hayes, along with Pierce and Witherspoon as my LB's. We start 3 and I'm set on Pierce and Witherspoon but can not make up my mind on the other two. Ryan's has the better Schedule but Hayes is ranked higher in the projections. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, scoring: 1pt for solo, 3 pts for sack, 4 pts for pick, 6 pts for safety & 12 pts for TD.

Last edited by a moderator:
After following FBG's advice for IDP's, I ended up with Ryans and Hayes, along with Pierce and Witherspoon as my LB's. We start 3 and I'm set on Pierce and Witherspoon but can not make up my mind on the other two. Ryan's has the better Schedule but Hayes is ranked higher in the projections. Any help would be appreciated.By the way, scoring: 1pt for solo, 3 pts for sack, 4 pts for pick, 6 pts for safety & 12 pts for TD.
I'm not sure there's a right answer here. I'm struggling with this decision in a couple of leagues myself.I'm leaning toward waiting on Ryans for a bit and starting Hayes because I think Greenwood is a little better player than Huff and the Philly rush offense may not be a great matchup unless Andy Reid commits to it early, but it's questionable. I'm interested in other takes on this as well.

I'm trying to understand all the hype on Hayes in the last week...the FBG staffers talking him up are the same ones with him ranked outside the top 40 in the latest rankings...where should he rank?

I'm trying to understand all the hype on Hayes in the last week...the FBG staffers talking him up are the same ones with him ranked outside the top 40 in the latest rankings...where should he rank?
I can't speak for the others, but I have Hayes 27th and will probably move him up in my final pre-season ranking today.I think he easily has LB2 potential. I'm not supremely confident that he'll outproduce the glut of backers in that tier by year's end given his injury history and the specter of Dansby's return possibly kicking him out of the nickel package but the MLB role in Arizona could be very, very nice.

I'm not sure there's a right answer here. I'm struggling with this decision in a couple of leagues myself.

I'm leaning toward waiting on Ryans for a bit

would you start ryans with these options - need 3 - Zach, Mike Pete, Morgan, Kawika, Demeco, Hayes?

I'm not sure there's a right answer here. I'm struggling with this decision in a couple of leagues myself.

would you start ryans with these options - need 3 - Zach, Mike Pete, Morgan, Kawika, Demeco, Hayes?
Aaaah, the wunnerful problem of having four low LB2 tier level guys to decide between before bye weeks start.If you're a Morgan owner, only you can decide if you can live with the chance that he'll go out in the first series of the game. If he's on your roster, he's awful hard to bench. And I think Mitchell is a pretty good play this week -- the perfect guy to play if you want to wait a week to see how Ryans and Hayes look against relatively weak matchups before throwing them into the fray.

I'd plan to start Thomas, Peterson, and Morgan until one of the other three makes themselves a must start.

This is similar to my problem...I'm trying to figure out if the Hayes hype warrants a roster spot...

LB1 Tatupu

LB2 Fletcher

LB3 Trotter / Brackett

I'd probably be dropping Archuletta to get Hayes...

If Greenway is on waivers - leave him there, and keep/grab Hayes. You'll likely be able to get Greenway later on when you know more about Hayes.

If you need to drop Greenway, it's kind of murky. Depends if you need more production now versus later.

My Ditka said:

Zach, Kawika and Morgan. Unless you are playing me this week, then it would be Mike, Demeco and Gerald..

The scoring history of idp vs Philly has not been good. Philly mixes up their offense to exploit specific areas of the defense and MLB usually do not score well against them. Of course, Reid has said he will be more committed to the run this year.

SF has said they will run the ball and I believe they will as long as the game is close. Unfortunately, I expect the Cards to put up some serious points on the SF defense, which may cause less running.

Neither player is proven, but I'd start Hayes and I don't think its close.

I have the Ryans/Hayes decisions in a couple of leagues as well. In one of those leagues I have Peterson and in the other Brackett. If those guys were healthy they would be in but I won't start a guy with a sore knee in week one. Especially if he's still listed as questionable.

I'll likely go with Ryans even though the Eagles are a threat to run the ball 15 times in the whole game. Last year middle backers reached 6 solo tackles 9 times against Philly. Heck Trev Faulk put up 10 and Bradie James 12.

Against San Francisco only 1 MLB made it to 7 all year and the team average was 13.8 per game for all linebackers combined. The MLB position alone averaged 3.6 tackles versus SF with only 3 guys reaching 6. I'm not convinced that they are all that much improved offensively.

My Ditka said:

Zach, Kawika and Morgan. Unless you are playing me this week, then it would be Mike, Demeco and Gerald..
My teams in your leagues aren't nearly as dominant as they are when you aren't around......

this is almost my problem...

Ryans/Henderson/Hayes

Hayes is on the wire... I have EJ and Ryans but am w/o a kicker.

I'm leaning to drop EJ and start Hayes... holding on Ryans and foregoing a kicker this week...

this is almost my problem...Ryans/Henderson/HayesHayes is on the wire... I have EJ and Ryans but am w/o a kicker.I'm leaning to drop EJ and start Hayes... holding on Ryans and foregoing a kicker this week...
You're giving up probably between 5 and 10 points this week, and you may lose by that much so I'd drop someone from your roster and pickup and start a kicker.

this is almost my problem...Ryans/Henderson/HayesHayes is on the wire... I have EJ and Ryans but am w/o a kicker.I'm leaning to drop EJ and start Hayes... holding on Ryans and foregoing a kicker this week...
I don't like the skip a kicker strategy, unless they score just about nothing compared to other players. You will need/want a kicker at some point, right?Leave Hayes on the wire and figure out a way to get a kicker. Look at the score differentials from your league last year, and at scoring for an average kicker per game. You will likely find that spotting someone X number of points (X = kicker production) would switch 10% or more of the losses to the worse team to wins. Especially true with smaller lineups, and lower scoring leagues.I know a guy who did this one year in what was a TD league with yardage bonus scoring - of course kickers got points for FG & PAT. Dumbest thing I ever saw for roster management - giving up 8-10 points a week for better depth when it's lightning in a bottle predictign TD's.

it's not like that... Kickers score 5-7 pts... D scores 12+ basically every other position varies and the low end is 10+ points.

Should I drop Ryans or Henderson... or Benson or Lundy.

here's the lineup:

QB-M.Bulger

BN QB-____

WR-R.Williams/D.Jackson/D.Hall

BN WR-M.Clayton

RB-L.T./S.Jax

BN RB- D.Foster/C.Brown/F.Gore/C.Benson/W.Lundy

D-R.Lewis

LB-A.Pierce/D.Morgan/E.Henderson

LBBN-D.Ryans

DB-G.Wilson/D.Sharper/M.Boulware

I suppose I could drop Benson or Lundy... (...)

it's not like that... Kickers score 5-7 pts... D scores 12+ basically every other position varies and the low end is 10+ points. Should I drop Ryans or Henderson... or Benson or Lundy.here's the lineup:QB-M.BulgerBN QB-____WR-R.Williams/D.Jackson/D.HallBN WR-M.ClaytonRB-L.T./S.JaxBN RB- D.Foster/C.Brown/F.Gore/C.Benson/W.LundyD-R.LewisLB-A.Pierce/D.Morgan/E.HendersonLBBN-D.RyansDB-G.Wilson/D.Sharper/M.BoulwareI suppose I could drop Benson or Lundy... (...)
I'm guesing you get return yards for points form seeeing Dante Hall. I'd try and do a 2 for 1 deal, and use the spot to get a kicker.For now, I'd drop one of the LB's and grab a kicker. If they score 5-7 points, I'm guessing either FG's are worth less than 3 or PAT's score 0. Odd, but possible. I'd drop Henderson myself.

I don't own either, but if I did, it would be an easy decision. I start DeMeco Ryans and don't worry about it. You can't make these calls perfectly every week, but you can be sure Ryans has the look of a full fledged IDP stud for years to come. Starting him will prove wise more often than not. .02

I'm in a similar but slightly different situation and would appreciate any and all feedback.

* Start 3 IDP

* 1 solo 0.5 ast tack 3 INT/FF/FR/Sack 6 TD

* 2 spots locked with Vilma and Witherspoon

* 3rd spot Ryans

* bench AJ Hawk

* Waiver wire Haynes, Ernie Sims, Kawika Mitchell, Gabril Wilson

I'm thinking of cutting Hawk but would like to give him a chance and see how he plays out for 1 real game. Would you cut Hawk immediately for any of the players on the waiver wire for either short term (week 1 to start ahead of Ryans)? or long term (season)? and for whom?

Not sure I like Ryans opening up at LB 50 week 1 projections - where's the love?

And how is Mitchell ranked top 10?

Comments welcomed......

SackDiesel808 said:
I'm in a similar but slightly different situation and would appreciate any and all feedback.* Start 3 IDP* 1 solo 0.5 ast tack 3 INT/FF/FR/Sack 6 TD* 2 spots locked with Vilma and Witherspoon* 3rd spot Ryans* bench AJ Hawk* Waiver wire Haynes, Ernie Sims, Kawika Mitchell, Gabril WilsonI'm thinking of cutting Hawk but would like to give him a chance and see how he plays out for 1 real game. Would you cut Hawk immediately for any of the players on the waiver wire for either short term (week 1 to start ahead of Ryans)? or long term (season)? and for whom?Not sure I like Ryans opening up at LB 50 week 1 projections - where's the love?And how is Mitchell ranked top 10?Comments welcomed......
I've been pretty hard on Hawk's prospects from the beginning; I just don't think the scheme will allow him to put enough tackles into the boxscore to give him the value everyone expects. I'd take any of the four players you mentioned -- yes, even Hayes -- this season. And you should usually lean toward the LB, although Gibril Wilson should be in this discussion.As has been said elsewhere, the projections tend to bunch in the second and third tiers. There's really little difference in them between the 20 and 50 spots in many cases. Your confidence in the 44 guy may be much higher than the 28 guy. In reality, there's not much difference.Mitchell is ranked top ten because he's a very good 4-3 MLB who plays in all situations with a great matchup this weekend. Until things shake out, I usually err on the side of the proven player. I'd pick up Mitchell and start him over Hawk, but keep a real close eye on Hayes. If he has a great week with a relatively poor matchup, he's likely primed for a big season.

Thanks for all the replys. I didn't think this topic would generate so much activity. As of now I think I'm going to go with Ryans. I'm sure I'm thinking about this more then I should, but then again losing any points could be costly.

SackDiesel808 said:
I'm in a similar but slightly different situation and would appreciate any and all feedback.* Start 3 IDP* 1 solo 0.5 ast tack 3 INT/FF/FR/Sack 6 TD* 2 spots locked with Vilma and Witherspoon* 3rd spot Ryans* bench AJ Hawk* Waiver wire Haynes, Ernie Sims, Kawika Mitchell, Gabril WilsonI'm thinking of cutting Hawk but would like to give him a chance and see how he plays out for 1 real game. Would you cut Hawk immediately for any of the players on the waiver wire for either short term (week 1 to start ahead of Ryans)? or long term (season)? and for whom?Not sure I like Ryans opening up at LB 50 week 1 projections - where's the love?And how is Mitchell ranked top 10?Comments welcomed......
I've been pretty hard on Hawk's prospects from the beginning; I just don't think the scheme will allow him to put enough tackles into the boxscore to give him the value everyone expects. I'd take any of the four players you mentioned -- yes, even Hayes -- this season. And you should usually lean toward the LB, although Gibril Wilson should be in this discussion.As has been said elsewhere, the projections tend to bunch in the second and third tiers. There's really little difference in them between the 20 and 50 spots in many cases. Your confidence in the 44 guy may be much higher than the 28 guy. In reality, there's not much difference.Mitchell is ranked top ten because he's a very good 4-3 MLB who plays in all situations with a great matchup this weekend. Until things shake out, I usually err on the side of the proven player. I'd pick up Mitchell and start him over Hawk, but keep a real close eye on Hayes. If he has a great week with a relatively poor matchup, he's likely primed for a big season.
To summarize for week one:Mitchell > Ryans > Hayes > Wilson/Sims > HawkWith Hayes having the chance for a big year? Does Ryans have the same upside as Hayes?

SackDiesel808 said:
To summarize for week one:Mitchell > Ryans > Hayes > Wilson/Sims > HawkWith Hayes having the chance for a big year? Does Ryans have the same upside as Hayes?
That looks about right. As I said above, I'm not confident on the Ryans vs Hayes issue for this week. Long term, I think Ryans has the better upside -- he's probably the better player and hasn't had the injury issues. Like others have said, though, it wouldn't be shocking to me if Hayes has a huge year if he stays healthy.Nobody else in the Arizona front seven is a big threat to make tackles. He looks likely to play in the nickel all season long. And, although it gets lost in the shuffle with all his injury struggles, Hayes was a very highly regarded prospect -- 6'1", 245lbs with good speed -- coming out of Pitt once upon a time. See the thread Norton started last week for a little extra information.It won't be an easy decision if Ryans and Hayes play to top expectation. Starting three players a week leaves a lot of good players on the table to choose among.

Users who are viewing this thread