What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

D/ST - Who are your top 5 and why? (1 Viewer)

rickyg

Footballguy
I haven't followed enough of the offseason moves with regards to D/ST and I feel a little lost right now. Is seattle still the best? Im hearing SF defense will be worse this year.

Thinking Houston, Carolina, Denver, KC, or even NE could vie for that top scoring fantasy defense spot this year. Is this accurate?

So here is what I'm thinking, and this is based off very little research lol:

1) Seattle?

2) Carolina - has anything changed for the worse since last year? Thinking they take another step forward.

3) Houston - Clowney and watt...but know nothing about secondary or safeties.

4) Denver - ware and miller - also added talib...looking good to me.

5) KC - Still star studded defense all around right? which one will show up, the one from first half of 2013 or 2nd half?

6) I know I said top 5 but I think NE deserves mention. I keep hearing how people are expecting them to be a top defense this year but want to know more about why.

Look at ne schedule. Its money. That's who I want
Who are the key players for me after wilfork? Why did they do for their secondary after Talib left?

Aside from schedule why does everyone think they will be so good? They haven't been in recent years.

Good thread. I tend to look at Front 7s and apply some measure of games vs. what look to be really bad offenses. Without further ado:

Seattle: duh

St. Louis: Fearsome front 7

New England: Wilfork, Mayo and Tommy Kelly should be able to stay on the field more than last year. Of course Wilfork & Kelly are old. Jamie Collins looks good. Revis!

Denver: Ware, Talib, TJ Ward could make this unit filthy. What do we get from Von Miller this year?

Carolina: People are down on them but their front 7 is outstanding. Backfield not so much.

Who are the key players for me after wilfork? Why did they do for their secondary after Talib left?

Aside from schedule why does everyone think they will be so good? They haven't been in recent years.
Dude NE signed Darrell Revis and Brandon Browner, plus Chandler Jones is about to be unleashed.

gimme NEpats all day
All in on the Pats D as well. In addition to Revis and Browner, they get WIlfork and Mayo back from injury and younger guys like Jones, Hightower, and Jamie Collins are primed to take big steps up IMO. When you factor in schedule and cost to acquire, the Pats D is my #1 target.

Seattle's D is still nasty with their pass rush, secondary, and homefield advantage and I would consider them #1 on the board. But I see people taking them really early in snakes and spending well above what I'm comfortable paying for a D in auction. Carolina, Denver, SF, Cincy, and STL, and KC are the usually the next 5 or 6 off the board. SF has major concerns in the secondary and uncertainty with Bowman and KC has a much tougher schedule than last year. Arizona is another D that people thought relatively highly of before Dockett went down.

Houston is an interesting one to see on the OP's list b/c I'm high on them but the consensus seems to be people shying away from all things Texans. I think Clowney will be an immediate impact player opposite of Watt and there is more talent on that team than people realize. Tampa is another D not being talked about a lot that I think will do well. Lots of talent and Lovie's teams always seem to get turnovers.

Dude NE signed Darrell Revis and Brandon Browner, plus Chandler Jones is about to be unleashed.

gimme NEpats all day
Also, Mayo and Wilfork are back and their rookie first round pick is Dominique Easley - who can be a very good pass rusher right off the bat. Add to that they get the Bills; Fins and Jets twice and how can you not like them?

People outside NO where it's no secret ought to look at the Saints as a cheap but great value.

Top 5 defense in yardage and points last year, they are emphasizing turnovers this year. Cam Jordan, Galette and Hicks with chime in with sacks.

People outside NO where it's no secret ought to look at the Saints as a cheap but great value.

Top 5 defense in yardage and points last year, they are emphasizing turnovers this year. Cam Jordan, Galette and Hicks with chime in with sacks.
Good one. Also almost forgot they signed Jarius Byrd and his playmaking skills in the secondary.

Browns

Cmon gents, your game is slipping
I like the talent, but I'm not touching them as a fantasy D because the O is going to be so awful. That team's going to give up 14 points a game just in field position, and that D's going to wear down in games because I can't see a way they don't come close to leading the league in 3-and-outs. Time of possession is going to kill them.

Fool's gold, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Houston deserves consideration, though probably not as top-5.

JJ Watt and Clowney putting pressure on opposing QBs should yield a decent bump in sacks, fumbles and INTs.

Is Cooks returning kicks? That might be a TD or two there. But I agree, they're the number 1 under-the-radar defense for me.

I am targeting New England and Cincinatti in that order. I think they are best in terms of value and not burning a very early pick.

Do not target Philly. They will not generate that many turnovers. Their ST stinks until Huff can return from injury. They will likely be middle of the pack for PA. They can't get off the field on 3rd down. They lack big playmakers.

I am targeting New England and Cincinatti in that order. I think they are best in terms of value and not burning a very early pick.

Do not target Philly. They will not generate that many turnovers. Their ST stinks until Huff can return from injury. They will likely be middle of the pack for PA. They can't get off the field on 3rd down. They lack big playmakers.
Keep in mind Philly gets 2 games against dallas and the giants. Thats worth a little bit of love there.....

This is who I'm targeting. Great early schedule too.

Keep in mind Philly gets 2 games against dallas and the giants. Thats worth a little bit of love there.....
Dallas is going to put up points. should be among the highest over/under games each week. they're not a plus defensive matchup.

I wonder if other defensive coordinators are going to catch onto this philosophy. What's your opinion?

Are there any DSTs that have been lights out in the preseason so far? NO and Hou have produced mixed results in the first quarter against some middling offenses, haven't they?

MoveToSkypager said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

I wonder if other defensive coordinators are going to catch onto this philosophy. What's your opinion?
That's funny. Poorly stated I guess, but the problem was they defended well but did not get FF points off TOs. Harper and Jenkins (who could not catch or recover to save their lives) are gone, in are Byrd, Ball, and Baptiste, and Robinson returns. I think the mission statement tone and the changeover in personnel could be what makes the TO ratio improve. Everything else for a Top 5 DST is there.

Buffalo. 57 sacks last year. 23 picks. Williams, Williams, Dareus, and Hughes.

Also SEA, STL, CAR, CIN.

I have four that I am targeting:

Seattle-On paper they look great, with their attacking style and home-field advantage they appear to be in a great position to be a force...

St. Louis-Very high on them...some serious talent here and I'm confident in Greg Williams as a DC (not as an HC)...if Donald is legit that front four could really get you some points quickly...

New England-Another D that looks very good on paper...Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins look ready to go to the next level and if Easley is legit it adds a dimension they have been sorely lacking...

Denver-Talent combined with an offense that will force their opponents to play risky is a very nice combination...I'm interested to see what Ware does this year...if he plays anywhere near what he has been that will be a huge addition...

Seattle-On paper they look great
They also look good in a boat. They also look good with a goat. In the rain and on a train, and in a car and in a tree. They are so good, so good you see. So you can draft them in a box or even draft them with John Fox. They will look great in their house, which will not be quiet as a mouse. They will look good here and there. They will hit you ANYWHERE! :)

They also look good in a boat. They also look good with a goat. In the rain and on a train, and in a car and in a tree. They are so good, so good you see. So you can draft them in a box or even draft them with John Fox. They will look great in their house, which will not be quiet as a mouse. They will look good here and there. They will hit you ANYWHERE! :)
Thoughts on the loss of important defensive personnel over the offseason?

I don't think it's as bad as it looks since they really have tremendous depth. I hate losing Big Red.. that guy was a beast, I'm hoping Williams can step in and be dominant. Losing Browner was no big deal.. I liked the guy but he's a penalty factory. I've been drinking bourbon so I'm having trouble finding the right words, but the team philosophy of competition has really had players holding other players accountable and I think that's huge. I don't know if it's the coaching or assembling the right bunch of individuals but they have built a unit that I can only describe as cohesive. When you get everyone on the same page.. and I mean exactly the same page, your depth gets that much stronger. YAY BOURBON! *falls over*

I don't think it's as bad as it looks since they really have tremendous depth. I hate losing Big Red.. that guy was a beast, I'm hoping Williams can step in and be dominant. Losing Browner was no big deal.. I liked the guy but he's a penalty factory. I've been drinking bourbon so I'm having trouble finding the right words, but the team philosophy of competition has really had players holding other players accountable and I think that's huge. I don't know if it's the coaching or assembling the right bunch of individuals but they have built a unit that I can only describe as cohesive. When you get everyone on the same page.. and I mean exactly the same page, your depth gets that much stronger. YAY BOURBON! *falls over*
:thumbup:

:goodposting:

As for Browner, IMO Maxwell is better.

I notice not a single person in this thread, outside of the OP, has mentioned the 49ers. They've had an elite defense for the last 3 years. Is there something about them that is different this year?

rickyg said:
I haven't followed enough of the offseason moves with regards to D/ST and I feel a little lost right now. Is seattle still the best? Im hearing SF defense will be worse this year.

Thinking Houston, Carolina, Denver, KC, or even NE could vie for that top scoring fantasy defense spot this year. Is this accurate?

So here is what I'm thinking, and this is based off very little research lol:

1) Seattle?

2) Carolina - has anything changed for the worse since last year? Thinking they take another step forward.

3) Houston - Clowney and watt...but know nothing about secondary or safeties.

4) Denver - ware and miller - also added talib...looking good to me.

5) KC - Still star studded defense all around right? which one will show up, the one from first half of 2013 or 2nd half?

6) I know I said top 5 but I think NE deserves mention. I keep hearing how people are expecting them to be a top defense this year but want to know more about why.
good luck w/that

Boccioni said:
Are there any DSTs that have been lights out in the preseason so far? NO and Hou have produced mixed results in the first quarter against some middling offenses, haven't they?
New England looked pretty good tonight. Granted it was against Carolina, but still they looked much better than the past 2 weeks with the starters getting a lot of the reps.

This has been a terrific thread so far! I've learned a lot...especially that New Orleans coaching has motivated their guys this year by emphasizing turnovers. I think that is key.

Lol no but seriously good stuff in here guys! This is what the sp is all about. Let's keep the convo going.

So, based in everything I've read, I would rank the top 5 as:

1) sea

2) ne (based in personnel, coaching, schedule)

3) stl/car tie

4) Denver

And keep an eye on NO, cincy, Cleveland, tb.

Who else besides NE has a d/at friendly schedule?

I wouldn't get too high on D.Ware with the Broncos. He'll prolly tear it up for a few games, get banged up, and kinda disappear.......at least as a pass rusher. He may still make a play here and there when they run to his side, but when he gets banged up, he cant get to the QB.

Users who are viewing this thread