What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daily Broncos Training Camp Report (1 Viewer)

As a Griffin owner, I was getting worried!!!OK. Whewwww!! I feel better now. I read in the post that the Broncos were off today but I didn't remember when Bell broke the finger. I was thinking it was Friday but I checked the Boggler and it was yesterday.

As a Griffin owner, I was getting worried!!!
Seriously, if your hope for Griffin lies in Tatum Bell's fractured finger I feel sorry for you. Fractured fingers heal fairly quickly and normally don't keep a player sidelined for too long, if at all. For example, Ross Verba, an OT for the Cleveland Browns fractured his thumb this past week....Verba returned to practice the same day. You should be more worried about Tatum Bell's 4.37 speed, 212 lbs., and 25 reps at the combine. Power, speed, vision, and homerun ability.....a fractured index finger should be the least of your worries as a Griffin owner. :loco:

Seriously, if your hope for Griffin lies in Tatum Bell's fractured finger I feel sorry for you. Fractured fingers heal fairly quickly and normally don't keep a player sidelined for too long, if at all. For example, Ross Verba, an OT for the Cleveland Browns fractured his thumb this past week....Verba returned to practice the same day. You should be more worried about Tatum Bell's 4.37 speed, 212 lbs., and 25 reps at the combine. Power, speed, vision, and homerun ability.....a fractured index finger should be the least of your worries as a Griffin owner. :loco:
1) Bell is a rookie RB, he's going to need practice time in training camp to learn the system. Plenty of RBs don't play their rookie year after a full training camp.2) Offensive tackle does not equal running back. RBs handle the ball, offensive tackles do not.

3) There are many different kinds of fractured fingers. According to the reports, Bell's fracture does not look good. The quickest he would be back is two to three weeks according to press reports, and that is the absolute quickest.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Griffin owner, I was getting worried!!!
My hope is that Griffin enters the season as the starting RB for the Broncos. I feel sorry for you that you think you need to respond to this thread and flame me by insulting my FF knowledge. Can you tell me what game Portis earned the starting gig his rookie season? I don't remember him being banged up at all during the preseason.The other poster said it, it's about the reps and being givin an opportunity to earn the job. The longer Bell is out, the more he'll ride the bench during the season. Even if Griffin gets hurt, there's Hearst and Anderson ahead of him on the depth charts. I have no doubts he can beat out the others but these three RBs can hold him off all season if he doesn't learn the offense and the blocking assignments.The league I have Griffin in is a 3rd year Dynasty league where I drafted Griffin late in the 2nd round of our rookie draft last season. My other RBs are Dillon, William Green, and Moe Williams (plus other scrubs) With Lee Suggs in Cleveland, I'm counting on Griffin to be the starter early on at the very least. ........Call THAT what you will :boxing:BTW, Griffin had 21 reps at the combine.Quentin Griffin (5-7, 196, 4.47/40, 4.02/SS, 21/BP, 38"/V, 10’3"/LJ, 6%/BF) | Oklahoma

Just got home, Day 5 training camp report will be emailed soon!thanks for the props everyone, I would hardly call this "work" but it's what I get paid to do! :D

Hey rebel,I know it's not as important as the Griffin/Bell watch or the Lelie watch, but can you keep us updated on how you think Watts and Luke compare? I really thought going into the draft that Luke was underrated and that Watts was overrated. Wondering how they turn out. I keep hearing that Shanny "loves" Watts, but I think Luke has a better chance at playing time in future years as Rod Smith's replacement.

Hey rebel,I know it's not as important as the Griffin/Bell watch or the Lelie watch, but can you keep us updated on how you think Watts and Luke compare? I really thought going into the draft that Luke was underrated and that Watts was overrated. Wondering how they turn out. I keep hearing that Shanny "loves" Watts, but I think Luke has a better chance at playing time in future years as Rod Smith's replacement.
Also keep us informed on the TE position. There could be a fantasy gold mine there with Sharpe's retirement. Will it be Chamberlain or Weaver??

I think that Luke will be the better long term prospect. Everyone is infatuated with Watts, and he's having a great camp, but Luke's camp is just a small notch below. Luke also is practicing returning punts/kicks.

Also keep us informed on the TE position. There could be a fantasy gold mine there with Sharpe's retirement. Will it be Chamberlain or Weaver??
Right now I'd say Chamberlain. He's catching everything and doesn't have bad moves for a big man.Weaver is a great up and comer, the best thing about him is his route running, height, and toughness. This battle will be a close one and could go either way. I will make sure to keep a close eye on this as well.

I think that Luke will be the better long term prospect. Everyone is infatuated with Watts, and he's having a great camp, but Luke's camp is just a small notch below. Luke also is practicing returning punts/kicks.
Thanks alot!!

Day 5 has been emailed, here's some excerpts:Garrison Hearst got some 1st team reps this morning and looked solid. Hearst looked good on the goal line reps as well.B.J. Johnson was getting chewed out by OC Gary Kubiak for walking back to the huddle after Willie Middlebrooks swatted a pass away. Al “stickiest of the icky” Wilson was pumping up the crowd and getting rowdy. D.J. Williams continues to impress and is now practicing with the first team. They are calling Watts “Spiderman” and I can see why.

Just got home. Afternoon practice was special teams. I will write the morning report (not much happened in the afternoon) and let everyone know when it posts!

I have emailed the Day 6 report. Day 5 hasn't posted yet!!!! :rant: But I trust that both day 5 and 6 will be up soon!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here's some excerpts from Day 6.Ashley Lelie did not practice today due to an injured/sore back. There are rumblings around here that Watts could very well be the starting receiver opposite Rod Smith. The best play Watts made today was on a fade stop. The ball was a little underthrown and Watts came back and leapt forward while scooping up the catch on the sidelineThe Broncos D is looking more ferocious by the day.I will let everyone know when it posts!

Ashley Lelie did not practice today due to an injured/sore back.

There are rumblings around here that Watts could very well be the starting receiver opposite Rod Smith.

The best play Watts made today was on a fade stop. The ball was a little underthrown and Watts came back and leapt forward while scooping up the catch on the sideline
Here's a blurb on Watts
Meet . . . Darius Watts

The receiver is the Marshall University and Mid-American Conference career leader in receptions (272), receiving yards (4,031) and touchdown catches (47). Those numbers put him ahead of former Marshall great Randy Moss.

"No, I won't say I'm the greatest wide receiver ever there; they have had a pretty good one come through there before me," Watts said. "I just think that offense helped me a lot."

In his final year, he made 74 catches for 968 yards and 11 touchdowns.
LINKAnd save the rants cause I am not proclaiming Watts to be the next Randy Moss but it looks like he may sneak the job away from Lelie.

Ashley must be doing this :no:

You guys act like a bunch of guppies. There is absolutely zero chance that a rookie WR will take a starting job from Lelie, a 2-year veteran first rounder that the team is excited about and is about to maximize his training and talents. Sure, Watts is making some plays in practice, a lot of rookies are doing that. The Denver media is notorious for pimping rookie WR's, such as last year when Adrian Madise looked like the second coming of Hines Ward according tot he Denver media. This year the flavor of the month is Darius Watts and to a bit lesser extent Triandos Luke. You see, people don't really want to hear about the catches veteran WR's make right now. Hearing about what Rod Smith did in camp today, and even Lelie doesn't excite the fan base quite like hearing about the catches the rookies are making. People want to know how the rookies look, and the Denver media sure does a great job of hyping them up. And you guys eat it up by the spoonful.

day 6 is up here

I just got home and day 7 will be posted soon!

BTW, I signed on as a spokesperson for Choice Fantasy Sports they are doing a special where you get $10 off your commish service by entering the promotional code: Cecil check it out!

You guys act like a bunch of guppies. There is absolutely zero chance that a rookie WR will take a starting job from Lelie, a 2-year veteran first rounder that the team is excited about and is about to maximize his training and talents. Sure, Watts is making some plays in practice, a lot of rookies are doing that. The Denver media is notorious for pimping rookie WR's, such as last year when Adrian Madise looked like the second coming of Hines Ward according tot he Denver media. This year the flavor of the month is Darius Watts and to a bit lesser extent Triandos Luke. You see, people don't really want to hear about the catches veteran WR's make right now. Hearing about what Rod Smith did in camp today, and even Lelie doesn't excite the fan base quite like hearing about the catches the rookies are making. People want to know how the rookies look, and the Denver media sure does a great job of hyping them up. And you guys eat it up by the spoonful.
Except that when a WR like Watts is battling everyday with Champ Bailey, arguably the best cover CB in the NFL and winning some of those battles, he becomes a much more interesting prospect.Taking the information on Watts and filing it away for your draft day as a late round flier is not a "guppy" move. Taking that information and drafting Watts in the 3rd is a "guppy" move, and just plain stupid, to boot.

Here's some day 7 excerpts!Jake Plummer is very effectively using his hard count to get the D off sides. It seems like every day he is able to get the linemen to jumpHe and Triandos Luke were making some great plays during scrimmage. During team drills Luke made a great catch on a deep bomb from Plummer that went for a TD. . Ahmaad Galloway had some great inside moves but he is stiff in the hips and doesn’t show enough wiggle to make defenders miss.Day 8 excerpts forthcoming!

Here's Day 8 excerpts:Q is having a great camp. His speed, quickness, and vision are proving to be even more honed this year. However, in every practice but one Mike Anderson is bringing the heat. . Cecil Sapp has hardly practiced because of a sore hammy and is looking at the PS again this year-if he’s lucky. Santonio Beard is a decent inside runner but I don’t expect him to make the team with his rash of fumbles. Ahmaad Galloway is an interesting prospect and could be a decent fit in this system. He probably sits on the Practice Squad this year. Brandon Miree is a favorite of mine. Overall he’s more talented than Sapp, Beard, or Galloway. But because of the situation here in Denver being so cluttered I don’t see him making the active roster.Triandos Luke was fielding all the punts at the beginning of practice and he should see a lot of time at the KR/PR spot. There are whispers that Tim Brown could get a contract offer from the Broncos as soon as this weekend and be in camp next week.John Madden was in attendance at this morning’s practice and was taking notes and watching players. He is one big guy, and he can pack away the food! I thought I was a pig!I will let everyone know when they post!

Q is having a great camp. His speed, quickness, and vision are proving to be even more honed this year. However, in every practice but one Mike Anderson is bringing the heat.
So, with all of this first-person training camp experience, what's your speculation as to how the Denver RB situation shapes up this year? Will Q be the starter with Anderson in short-yardage situations? Will Hearst be the one to give Q a rest? Or will Shanny break tradition and change to the dreaded RBBC? Does Bell even have a chance to start this year?

Before Training Camp I said that Bell would be starting by week 8 at the earliest. He needs to really come back with a vengeance to reach that deadline IMHO. Watching him in mini camp, and in his ONE TC appearance I see a young runner that isn't patient enough. That trust in his OL should come with time, but he's got to get out there to establish that timing. I don't get the same feeling that I did when I saw Portis in his first TC. Q is the man right now. IF all stays as it is right now I think that Shanny would primarily use Q. Hearst would be used to give Q a breather, or on 3rd and long situations. Anderson would be used as a short yardage/goal line back, and I've even seen some of Hearst/Anderson in the same backfield (again on 3rd down situations). Preseason could go either way. If Q has a bad game, a few fumbles, or an injury I think Anderson would take the job and not look back. Bell will have some role this year, whether that's in week 5 or week 15 is really up to him and the kind of performance he'll give from here on out. I don't believe that Coach Skeletor would go to RBBC. If one falters, there is two more that could pick up the slack. He will have one primary back. Currently in practice that back is Quentin Griffin. Short yardage has been somewhat of a problem with Q in camp and that's where Anderson would come in. Hell, even Hearst could carry the load for a game or two if needed.

Thanks for the updates. They are much appreciated. DO you think you could change the date in the title when you update, so I know when to check back? Thanks again, good stuff.

"Watching him in mini camp, and in his ONE TC appearance I see a young runner that isn't patient enough. That trust in his OL should come with time, but he's got to get out there to establish that timing. I don't get the same feeling that I did when I saw Portis in his first TC."

This quote of yours reminds me exactly of a former KC Chiefs RB, Greg Hill. Do you remember him Rebel34? He was a first round draft selection, and turned out to be a huge first round draft bust. He too had blazing speed, but he had the same problem of hitting the hole before it opened. He never could get his timing down right, and it ruined his career. In contrast, when you watch Priest run, he'll just sit back and wait for the holes to be created, then he explodes. That's the same kind of thing I see in Griffin (not that I'm remotely saying that Q is as good as Priest).

Rebel, how has Q's inside running looked?
This is where Q has surprised me. His inside running has been excellent. He hides behind his line well, I'm standing on the sidelines and I sometimes lose track of him!!!! He can really "skinny" through holes well where he turns his body to squeeze through a hole. He doesn't lose much if any speed when he does this either. He can get to the 2nd level at full speed and that's where he's most dangerous. Not many people can tackle him in the open field. He sometimes is arm tackled too easily, but I've also seen him run UNDER a defender's outreached arm. He is very exciting to watch and he has really impressed me in camp. It's short yardage where he's had problems. Yesterday on a 3rd and 1 John Lynch met him in the hole and stopped him dead in his tracks. He dances sometimes when he just needs to lower his head. that's my :2cents:

Thanks for the updates. They are much appreciated. DO you think you could change the date in the title when you update, so I know when to check back? Thanks again, good stuff.
not a problem cosjobs, glad you enjoy them! :thumbup:

This quote of yours reminds me exactly of a former KC Chiefs RB, Greg Hill. Do you remember him Rebel34?
Greg Hill is a good comparison. I have TONS of Greg Hill football cards, remember when he went to Detroit? Yes, I also have TONS of Leeland McElroy cards too! :bag: :nerd: The runner that Tatum reminds me most of is Byron Hanspard. Now, I hope his pro career is better than Hanspard but that's who's skill set he reminds me of. He's faster than Hanspard, that's for sure. :yes:

There is absolutely zero chance that a rookie WR will take a starting job from Lelie, a 2-year veteran first rounder that the team is excited about and is about to maximize his training and talents.
Why? Lelie has been a bust o far, and if Watts outplays him, he'll start. While I agre it won' be game one, I wouldn't say it won't happen this year.

There is absolutely zero chance that a rookie WR will take a starting job from Lelie, a 2-year veteran first rounder that the team is excited about and is about to maximize his training and talents.
Why? Lelie has been a bust o far, and if Watts outplays him, he'll start. While I agre it won' be game one, I wouldn't say it won't happen this year.
I doubt Watts gets the start this year. The reason they're reaching for washed up scrubs like Jackson and Brown is because they don't have confidence in these players at all. It's the same thing every year. Shanahan's awful cornerback drafting is only surpassed by his inability to evaluate young receivers. All this Watts and Luke hype is what I call Denver's 'Kevin Kasper syndrome'. Every year some late round 'gem' supposedly is blowing up in camp yet when the season starts their harder to find than talent in a karaoke bar. And this always means a training camp signing of a once great WR(remember Robert Brooks or Andre Reed?) to backup the aging McCaffrey and Smith...except now there isn't even McCaffrey to fall back on.

I doubt Watts gets the start this year. The reason they're reaching for washed up scrubs like Jackson and Brown is because they don't have confidence in these players at all. It's the same thing every year. Shanahan's awful cornerback drafting is only surpassed by his inability to evaluate young receivers. All this Watts and Luke hype is what I call Denver's 'Kevin Kasper syndrome'. Every year some late round 'gem' supposedly is blowing up in camp yet when the season starts their harder to find than talent in a karaoke bar. And this always means a training camp signing of a once great WR(remember Robert Brooks or Andre Reed?) to backup the aging McCaffrey and Smith...except now there isn't even McCaffrey to fall back on.
That may be true, but my poiont was more directed at how awful Lelie is than how great Watts is...

That may be true, but my poiont was more directed at how awful Lelie is than how great Watts is...
That's true. Who knows the slot maybe the greatest thing that ever happened to Lelie.

Great stuff rebel! By far the best team camp info on the board. :thumbup:
Thanks guys!Day 9 and 10 haven't posted yet, but they have been emailed, here's some excerpts:Charlie Adams looked great today and is quietly making a name for himself. Triandos Luke is still looking strong and hauled in a 50 yard TD pass from Danny Kannell. . He was stuffed inside one time by Al “wesley pipes” Wilson. Later in practice though it was Q who got the last laugh as he juked past Wilson for a great long run. Jake Plummer and Rod Smith were looking good as usual. That was up until the last play where Jake tried to hit Rod on a deep route that was picked off by Kelly Herndon. Triandos Luke had an uncharacteristic lack of concentration and dropped an easy pass over the middle. He later got his redemption when he wrestled a pass away from Jeff Shoate on a crossing route. Luke is a fierce competitor and was clearly upset with himself when he dropped the easy one. Bradlee Van Pelt was not in on much action today, unless you count playing WR. He was running routes and catching passes from Mike Quinn down in the endzone. This could be the first sign of the inevitable position switch for Van Mullet. I return to action on Wednesday, it should be exciting to see these guys on Monday night! Young players to watch: Mauck, Watts, Luke, Galloway

Great stuff rebel! By far the best team camp info on the board. :thumbup:
Thanks guys!Day 9 and 10 haven't posted yet, but they have been emailed, here's some excerpts:Charlie Adams looked great today and is quietly making a name for himself. Triandos Luke is still looking strong and hauled in a 50 yard TD pass from Danny Kannell. . He was stuffed inside one time by Al “wesley pipes” Wilson. Later in practice though it was Q who got the last laugh as he juked past Wilson for a great long run. Jake Plummer and Rod Smith were looking good as usual. That was up until the last play where Jake tried to hit Rod on a deep route that was picked off by Kelly Herndon. Triandos Luke had an uncharacteristic lack of concentration and dropped an easy pass over the middle. He later got his redemption when he wrestled a pass away from Jeff Shoate on a crossing route. Luke is a fierce competitor and was clearly upset with himself when he dropped the easy one. Bradlee Van Pelt was not in on much action today, unless you count playing WR. He was running routes and catching passes from Mike Quinn down in the endzone. This could be the first sign of the inevitable position switch for Van Mullet. I return to action on Wednesday, it should be exciting to see these guys on Monday night! Young players to watch: Mauck, Watts, Luke, Galloway
Nice work homey! :thumbup:

Bradlee Van Pelt was not in on much action today, unless you count playing WR. He was running routes and catching passes from Mike Quinn down in the endzone. This could be the first sign of the inevitable position switch for Van Mullet.
:angry: I prefer "head-spike", if you're going to nickname him...seeing as he never had a mullet...just long hair. Yeah, "Mr. Head-Spike" to you, in fact -- in a tribute to his beotch-slap of that Fluffalo, that was trying to give him a late shove, after he crossed the goal line. :boxing:

Bradlee Van Pelt was not in on much action today, unless you count playing WR. He was running routes and catching passes from Mike Quinn down in the endzone. This could be the first sign of the inevitable position switch for Van Mullet.
:angry: I prefer "head-spike", if you're going to nickname him...seeing as he never had a mullet...just long hair. Yeah, "Mr. Head-Spike" to you, in fact -- in a tribute to his beotch-slap of that Fluffalo, that was trying to give him a late shove, after he crossed the goal line. :boxing:
You're in denial! His hair was close enough to a mullet to be labeled as such! :D Remember SLBD that I too was in Ft. Fun back in the day!

Rebel, any guess when Tatum Bell resumes full contact practice?

Rebel, any guess when Tatum Bell resumes full contact practice?
It all depends on how well he plays with pain. My guess would be next week. Hopefully I'm right because Tatum needs to get in there!

Bradlee Van Pelt was not in on much action today, unless you count playing WR.  He was running routes and catching passes from Mike Quinn down in the endzone.  This could be the first sign of the inevitable position switch for Van Mullet. 
You're in denial! His hair was close enough to a mullet to be labeled as such! :D Remember SLBD that I too was in Ft. Fun back in the day!
No way. And I can't believe I'm about to argue this :rotflmao: , but the only time he looked like that was when he would be dripping in sweat. He'd have to paste his hair back behind his ears to put his helmet on.I don't know if I've ever seen any kids from Santa Barbara sporting a mullet...ever. You'd have a case if he were a redneck, maybe. But, make not mistake about it, that nickname came from the Republic of Boulder, and has no truth.Thanks for the updates, by the way. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread