What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DAL vs. PHI Interception Prayer Circle (1 Viewer)

Tom Skerritt

Footballguy
Not sure if anyone saw this, but there was a play late in the game... Foles threw low to a wide open Jason Avant in the end-zone. Avant tried to go down and make the catch. The ball hits off his hands, and maybe the turf, and bounces up into the defender's hands. An interception was ruled on the field. But it went to review, as the ball may have hit the ground.

It was a very close call, and honestly could have gone either way. But that is not what I want to talk about.

What I find absolutely absurd is that a group of Cowboys players were joining hands in a prayer circle during the review, presumably to pray that the ruling of the interception stand.

Is this really how these guys view faith? I realize that we routinely see and hear players thanking god, blah, blah, blah. But praying for individual plays during the course of a game?!?

I am atheist, so I find the whole thing just ridiculous. Do any of you believers find this type of behavior acceptable/unacceptable?

The call was overturned and ruled an incomplete pass, so clearly god is not a Cowboys fan.

Why do you even care to pass judgement on what they choose to do or not do. It's not like they were breaking any laws.

Leave them alone, you got bigger fish to fry.

keep religion out of my football. if I ever get famous and I give one of those interviews where they thank jesus, i'm going to change it to thanking Wile E Coyote because it makes just as much sense.

Not sure if anyone saw this, but there was a play late in the game... Foles threw low to a wide open Jason Avant in the end-zone. Avant tried to go down and make the catch. The ball hits off his hands, and maybe the turf, and bounces up into the defender's hands. An interception was ruled on the field. But it went to review, as the ball may have hit the ground.

It was a very close call, and honestly could have gone either way. But that is not what I want to talk about.

What I find absolutely absurd is that a group of Cowboys players were joining hands in a prayer circle during the review, presumably to pray that the ruling of the interception stand.

Is this really how these guys view faith? I realize that we routinely see and hear players thanking god, blah, blah, blah. But praying for individual plays during the course of a game?!?

I am atheist, so I find the whole thing just ridiculous. Do any of you believers find this type of behavior acceptable/unacceptable?

The call was overturned and ruled an incomplete pass, so clearly god is not a Cowboys fan.
Sorry, that sounded like a judgement to me. My bad.

Wrong forum.

That said, very few religious rituals are going to hold up to external logic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh, see I thought you thought that I said they were bad people for doing so. I never said that. Try reading again.

Oh, see I thought you thought that I said they were bad people for doing so. I never said that. Try reading again.
OK. I read it again. Now it appears that you are soliciting others to make judgement. :cool:

Hate to break it to you but players, coaches and fans have been praying on the sidelines and on the field and in the stands for their teams to win in almost every game since the first ball was punted at Rugby school.

Here's another thing: these guys are at the very pinnacle of their chosen profession, maybe they're on to something.

(Btw: Belongs in FFA).

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Hate to break it to you but players, coaches and fans have been praying on the sidelines and on the field and in the stands for their teams to win in almost every game since the first ball was punted at Rugby school.

Here's another thing: these guys are at the very pinnacle of their chosen profession, maybe they're on to something.

So god decided to make these guy the best at there profession? Makes sense that he'd elevate guys like Travis Henry, ADP and Aaron Hernandez to this level since they seem to be some of his best sheep followers.

It's no different than the lead-up to a game-winning FG attempt... you've got players on both sidelines holding hands and praying, each (obviously) for a different outcome. It's how we find out who God hates.

Then again, this is the Dallas Cowboys you are speaking of, the team some refer to reverently as "God's football team". In fact, Tex Schramm once said, and many Dallas fans concur, that the reason a hole was left in the roof of the stadium (now a retractable roof), is so "God can watch his favorite team play!" :tebow:

keep religion out of my football. if I ever get famous and I give one of those interviews where they thank jesus, i'm going to change it to thanking Wile E Coyote because it makes just as much sense.
I think you're safe.

Oh, and the NFL is not yours. TIA.

ETA:The irony here, is the fact that you hope to do someday do exactly what you are berating them for - which is practice the freedoms to which they are entitled.

Ray Lewis is a dirtbag murdering hypocrite. Unwatchable on ESPN IMO. God he sucks.
Check out the (obviously) spray-painted "I'm still young and styling" hair-do though. Not sure whose idea that is (his or ESPN's), but it is horrible.

ETA:The irony here, is the fact that you hope to do someday do exactly what you are berating them for - which is practice the freedoms to which they are entitled.
I think you can question the logic behind a statement without questioning a persons freedom to make it.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

So god decided to make these guy the best at there profession? Makes sense that he'd elevate guys like Travis Henry, ADP and Aaron Hernandez to this level since they seem to be some of his best sheep followers.
Wow, no, that's not what I said at all.

I'm just saying it certainly hasn't hurt them, heck maybe it helps them focus, stay positive, consciously set goals, etc.

Interesting issues but it belongs in FFA.

It's all made up, so who gives a crap?
Awesome, so if we are just going to not care what other's think, then I'm sorry you are going to Hell, unbeliever.
Um... this doesn't work. MTS does not believe in Hell, thus he cannot go to Hell. You may as well tell him that he's going to Middle Earth or Never Never Land.

It's common oversight. :)
I think he was rolling with he same idea you are, he was just having some fun with it. I don't care if people join prayer circles or say they scored a TD because their god let them or whatever. Also, Deion Sanders once healed Michael Irvin with a baby jesus dance when he got hurt, so there's that.

Users who are viewing this thread