What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dallas at Detroit (1 Viewer)

For 1, if the penalty is declined by Detroit, the clock should run. I can see if they took the penalty and you redid 3rd down you stop the clock, but that penalty served as a timeout but in reality it was no penalty because it was declined. I think that is a poor rule and one that cost Dallas big time in this game.
Agree with this. I expected the clock to start up again once they set the ball. That is a dumb rule.

Just another guy not understanding his role on a team when all you do all day every year is play football. These aren't guys who decided to go toss around the pigskins after work one day in the park. You would think you'd know everything there is to know about the position you play, and even if you didn't you think a coach would remind them about what they wanted from them in case they received the ball.
Football players typically spend a ton of time learning their position and almost no time learning the game. I'm friends with a guy that used to be a starting LB in the NFL and worked with a guy that was an All-American LB at Texas. Both of them are frustrating to watch a game with with their lack of understanding of the game. Typical frat-boy mentality that want a TD on every play and are ticked off when their team runs for 6 yards on 1st and 10.

Was that D Ware with Witten that wanted to kill Dez?
I think so.Any people that were tuned in can tell us what happened with that argument?
There was 12 seconds left after Detroit scored to go ahead and Dez was throwing a tantrum on the sideline for aboht the 3rd time furing the day. Witten was in his grill telling him to chill and that there was still 12 seconds to play, get a grip it is not over. Then Ware grabbed him bycthe jersey and brought him close to his face and said the same thing but with choice words. He then let him go and Bryant just mumbled to himself for awhile as he walked down the sideline.

I think so.Any people that were tuned in can tell us what happened with that argument?
There was 12 seconds left after Detroit scored to go ahead and Dez was throwing a tantrum on the sideline for aboht the 3rd time furing the day. Witten was in his grill telling him to chill and that there was still 12 seconds to play, get a grip it is not over. Then Ware grabbed him bycthe jersey and brought him close to his face and said the same thing but with choice words. He then let him go and Bryant just mumbled to himself for awhile as he walked down the sideline.
Before that, Romo was trying to get Witten and Bryant to huddle up to talk about the last 12 seconds. Bryant was too busy throwing his tantrum and that's when Witten walked over to him.

2nd, you make Detroit pay for declining and you do not kick the field goal there. You go to win the game. When Detroit had that ball with over a minute to go it was a 50/50 chance they win that game, Dallas was giving up huge chunks of yards towards the end of the game. Even with a failed 4th down attempt by Dallas, good defense would have stopped Detroit and won by 3. A first down ends the game.
No way was it a 50/50 chance.
What do you think it was? Megatron has over 300 yards and Dallas is near the bottom on pass defense. I know I felt Detroit was going to win when Dallas decided to kick that field goal.
I'd say Detroit had a 100% chance to win the game. It happened.
That's not how probability works. Probably about 10%, 20% at best. Dallas wins 80%+

Spending 5 seconds to run sideways to get out of bounds is not as smart as just giving yourself up on the kickoff, guy.
Just run straight ahead for 5 seconds. The clock stops either way. There's no reason to run out of bounds.
:goodposting: Was wondering why the guy made all that effort to get to the sideline.
Just another guy not understanding his role on a team when all you do all day every year is play football. These aren't guys who decided to go toss around the pigskins after work one day in the park. You would think you'd know everything there is to know about the position you play, and even if you didn't you think a coach would remind them about what they wanted from them in case they received the ball.
They're not rocket scientists, why do you think they're playing football? A seemingly bright Donovan McNabb didn't know the overtime rules, and wondered aloud what they would do in the Super Bowl if they tied.

Stafford is average without Calvin. Calvin Johnson is unstoppable
Broke Kurt Warner's NFL record for most completions and most yards in his first 50 games.

6 400 yard games (7th all-time)

25 years old

Yep, very average
Stafford is average without Calvin. Calvin Johnson is unstoppable
No way. Did you see some of the laser passes that Stafford threw.
Final drive was all Stafford. He commanded the pocket. Sideline pass to Reggie for the first down. 40 yard laser to Durham which was one of the better throws youll see all week. Perfect pass to Calvin to get it down to the goal line. And a ballsy Fake-spike, QB sneak to win the game! That was a joy to watch.

Respect.
Love watching Stafford. And I'm a Packer fan. You knew he was special here.

Dez was right. He had any play he wanted all afternoon. They should throw it to him.

He is raw and emotional but, dang, he is the only guy on the team who seemingly has a killer instinct. He really is muck like Irvin used to be. Right now, people will call it whiny. When the cowboys win, they call it competitive and passionate.

2nd, you make Detroit pay for declining and you do not kick the field goal there. You go to win the game. When Detroit had that ball with over a minute to go it was a 50/50 chance they win that game, Dallas was giving up huge chunks of yards towards the end of the game. Even with a failed 4th down attempt by Dallas, good defense would have stopped Detroit and won by 3. A first down ends the game.
What do you think it was? Megatron has over 300 yards and Dallas is near the bottom on pass defense. I know I felt Detroit was going to win when Dallas decided to kick that field goal.
That's not how probability works. Probably about 10%, 20% at best. Dallas wins 80%+
That's how it works in reverse though. Since we were referencing the past, that's all we can go by.

Before that, Romo was trying to get Witten and Bryant to huddle up to talk about the last 12 seconds. Bryant was too busy throwing his tantrum and that's when Witten walked over to him.
Dez is always going to be that guy. There will never be enough catches to satisfy him. He had character issues coming out of college. They didn't go anywhere. The Cowboys are getting the good with the bad. It's hard to succeed over the long-term with a guy like that in the locker room.

Spending 5 seconds to run sideways to get out of bounds is not as smart as just giving yourself up on the kickoff, guy.
Just run straight ahead for 5 seconds. The clock stops either way. There's no reason to run out of bounds.
:goodposting: Was wondering why the guy made all that effort to get to the sideline.
They're not rocket scientists, why do you think they're playing football? A seemingly bright Donovan McNabb didn't know the overtime rules, and wondered aloud what they would do in the Super Bowl if they tied.
But football isn't complicated. Thats' why there are so many people here that would be better HCs and GMs than the real ones.

That's how it works in reverse though. Since we were referencing the past, that's all we can go by.
Are you Phil Simms?

Are you Phil Simms?
That is hilarious :)

Dez was right. He had any play he wanted all afternoon. They should throw it to him.

He is raw and emotional but, dang, he is the only guy on the team who seemingly has a killer instinct. He really is muck like Irvin used to be. Right now, people will call it whiny. When the cowboys win, they call it competitive and passionate.
dez is a major talent, but he can be a handful at times...

just make sure you get out of the barber chair when irvin asks you to...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/081016

* no way jerry wasn't going to take him after passing on another non-choir boy who ended up having HoF talent, randy moss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we sure the refs handled the clock correctly when the penalty was declined? Sure seems logical that you would start the clock on a declined penalty (like the play happened) and stop the clock if penalty accept (down replayed).

Are you Phil Simms?
What was the probability that you made that post? This isn't difficult.

I would have said ~15%. Truman's link above says it's even less.

The odds that a team would score a TD on a particular drive which starts at their own 20 is less than 50%. In today's game, Detroit had 4 TDs in 14 drives, or 29%. Add in the fact that there was just over a minute left with no timeouts and it falls even lower.

Not true at all. I was a the game and was watching Bryant much of the day. Many times he just was not open..or was doubled with the safety. They were rolling coverage to Witten and Bryant. Romo is paranoid about making the big INT now and was not taking many chances with the football.

Are you Phil Simms?
That is hilarious :)
And a complete misunderstanding on how probability works, but sure it was funny.

Dez said:
The guy who got the holding penalty is the one who cost them the game could have ran off 40 more seconds.
Do you have enough self-congratulations in your sig, Henry? Seriously? Humility is a virtue.

Da Guru said:
SacramentoBob said:
There's a 100% chance this thread sucks.
Of course..any thread with Bryant and or Dallas usually ends up in the crapper.
Any team that has the arrogance to call or embrace itself as "America's Team" deserves what it gets.

And yes I get that they didn't decree themselves that title. They still roll with it though.

Spartans Rule said:
Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
For 1, if the penalty is declined by Detroit, the clock should run. I can see if they took the penalty and you redid 3rd down you stop the clock, but that penalty served as a timeout but in reality it was no penalty because it was declined. I think that is a poor rule and one that cost Dallas big time in this game.
Agree with this. I expected the clock to start up again once they set the ball. That is a dumb rule.
Why is it a dumb rule? Why should the team committing the penalty get any benefit out of it?

That last drive by Stafford was incredible. The 2 throws he made, this first down the sideline in particular, were throws only a handful of guys can make. What a game! That was probably the best finish I've seen all year.

Da Guru said:
Shutout said:

Not true at all. I was a the game and was watching Bryant much of the day. Many times he just was not open..or was doubled with the safety. They were rolling coverage to Witten and Bryant. Romo is paranoid about making the big INT now and was not taking many chances with the football.
Then you are watching the wrong thing and you need to look no further than across the field at Calvin. When you have a talent such as Dez, you must throw it to him when he's not wide open because the great ones should never be wide open. That is what makes them great. They perform despite the odds and Dez can do that and that is clearly one of the points he is attempting to get across. Like Keyshawn used to say, throw him the damned ball.

Everything we need to know about the cowboys was shown in that game. Teams that use their stars, like Calvin, like AJ green, etc, get results. Teams that are afraid to use theirs get losses. One first down would seal that game and you can't use Dez Bryant? Inexcusable.

With a 1.07, Detroit was out of timeouts. Dallad committed a hold that stopped the clock but the penalty was declined, leaving it 4th and 4.

Ultimately this is a good game for Dallas as Garrett is much closer to being fired.
That hold is all on Garrett. In that situation, 3rd and 13, you can't expect to run for the 1st down - running a play and having 40 seconds drain off the clock, with Detroit having no way to stop it, is what matters the most. A hold there is unnecessary and should never happen, and that should be coached. It is called understanding how to manage the game. Run the play, get two yards, kick the FG or punt, and give the Lions the ball back with only 15-20 seconds left. If they do that, the Cowboys win, barring a miracle.

With a 1.07, Detroit was out of timeouts. Dallad committed a hold that stopped the clock but the penalty was declined, leaving it 4th and 4.

Ultimately this is a good game for Dallas as Garrett is much closer to being fired.
That hold is all on Garrett. In that situation, 3rd and 13, you can't expect to run for the 1st down - running a play and having 40 seconds drain off the clock, with Detroit having no way to stop it, is what matters the most. A hold there is unnecessary and should never happen, and that should be coached. It is called understanding how to manage the game. Run the play, get two yards, kick the FG or punt, and give the Lions the ball back with only 15-20 seconds left. If they do that, the Cowboys win, barring a miracle.
I agree..a QB sneak to the middle of the field or a kneel down and the Cowboys win the game. Even with a missed FG I think they still win the game. Lions would have had around 30 seconds with no TOs.

Spartans Rule said:
Why is it a dumb rule? Why should the team committing the penalty get any benefit out of it?
exactly. clock stops due to a penalty. Its been in the rules forever.

Great win for the Lions!

----

And....

Stafford was in full on mode.. (He was money)

(can't ask for more out of your QB then that)

With play like that the Lions will be in a lot of games in his career..

(obviously Megatron surely helps there) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread