What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dallas Clark signs with Ravens. Impact? (1 Viewer)

Shutout

Footballguy
In a year where TEs seem to be far and few between and on a team like the Ravens where the team has no clear cut reliable "move the chains" receiver, what do you guys think of the value of this potential signing since Clark is really a glorified Wr moreso than a TE anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think when you have an old, formerly great receiving TE entering the mix to join a younger, intriguing guy possibly getting his first big chance, and a FA vet acquisition that they plan to do God-knows-what with, you have a recipe for a big steaming bowl of stay the hell away.

34 yrs old.

I dunno if Id put much stock in him. Best days are far behind him
Of course it is always going to go nowhere but down when you don't play with Peyton manning anymore but I thought he looked pretty good last year with the bucs.

34 yrs old.

Of course it is always going to go nowhere but down when you don't play with Peyton manning anymore but I thought he looked pretty good last year with the bucs.
lowest ypc of his career last year.

old, oft injured in the past years (tho a full 16 last season which shocked me)

Id take a late round flier on him.. nothing more

34 yrs old.

You're dogging on him quite a bit to turn around and suggest taking him as a flier. After all, nobody is paying more that than for him in the first place.

34 yrs old.

You're dogging on him quite a bit to turn around and suggest taking him as a flier. After all, nobody is paying more that than for him in the first place.
Id take Christopher Reeves as a flier 19th rnd pick...

doesnt mean I expect anything from them

34 yrs old.

Id take Christopher Reeves as a flier 19th rnd pick...

doesnt mean I expect anything from them
Still too soon.

I wonder if he's "just" depth (don't even know who the next TE is up behind Dickson) or if this means they're going to try to stick with 2 TE sets.

Clark is a reach for the Ravens this close to the regular season. He would not be game ready, (playbook, conditioning, etc), for at least 3-4 weeks. It he tries to push it, he will also end up with the medical staff. If Dallas was a 1/3 of what he was 4-5 years ago, the Jets or Raiders jumped all over him months ago. I think he is serviceable and a better leader in the locker room for the Ravens than on the field.

Clark is a reach for the Ravens this close to the regular season. He would not be game ready, (playbook, conditioning, etc), for at least 3-4 weeks. It he tries to push it, he will also end up with the medical staff. If Dallas was a 1/3 of what he was 4-5 years ago, the Jets or Raiders jumped all over him months ago. I think he is serviceable and a better leader in the locker room for the Ravens than on the field.
Or maybe teams like that DID reach out to him but he waited on a contender.

X -- it's not the same offense but having his Indy HC as the now Baltimore OC still makes a difference.

Could this be a depth move. Thought i read that dickson was injuried last week. This way they have a te for the preseason and into the season if Dickson isnt ready

X -- it's not the same offense but having his Indy HC as the now Baltimore OC still makes a difference.
Yeah, you'd think he probably can walk in and have that down pretty quick

Visanthe Shainco. That's who their other TE is. Couldn't remember.

This move looks like Dickson insurance I think.

I was one of the very few who picked BAL to go to the superbowl last year in one of the SB threads... I felt it.

That being said, BAL is definitely NOT a contender this year... So no, I doubt that's what Clark waited on.

They'll be scrounging just to make playoffs

So the Ravens have picked up Stokley and Clark. 37 and 34 years of age respectively. So much for getting younger :lol:

I don't see any way they make the playoffs this season.

As a Bengals fan I am glad the Ravens signed Stokley and Clark. It shows that they are desperate for receivers.

So the Ravens have picked up Stokley and Clark. 37 and 34 years of age respectively. So much for getting younger :lol:

Signing two players makes them worse?
Relying on two expiring players makes them desperate.
Relying on?
well they didn't replace Boldin, the loss of Pitta is huge for that offense and I don't think they have a decent ILB on that team, Suggs, Elvis & upsshaw are all outside

I think the Bengals are the best team in the division this year.

Relying on?
Relying on. I think signing these guys this late in the process is an indication that things are not going to plan. Maybe that turns out to be wrong, and they don't make the team, or do and barely play, but looking at some of the names on the depth chart at WR and TE, I don't think these two were signed to add some old depth.

I really think the death of the Ravens is greatly exaggerated. They added Dumervil, Daryl Smith, Huff, and Canty. Their D might be better this year.
I don't see the point in listing their additions without referring to all of their subtractions. Ellerbe, Kruger, Lews, Reed, Boldin, and Pitta.

I really think the death of the Ravens is greatly exaggerated. They added Dumervil, Daryl Smith, Huff, and Canty. Their D might be better this year.
I don't see the point in listing their additions without referring to all of their subtractions. Ellerbe, Kruger, Lews, Reed, Boldin, and Pitta.
The subtractions are already well known, and has been discussed. Hence my reference to the 'death of the Ravens'. It's not like I am pretending they didn't lose anyone. THey also didn't have a healthy Haloti last year. The defensive line is going to be a lot better this year, IMO. I'll trade Kruger for Dumervil any day, and Canty is going to turn out to be a great sneaky addition for them, as will Daryl Smith.

I think losing Reed is bigger than Ray, and the team probably loses more in leadership than actual ability.

My opinion, I must admit, comes from a pretty good faith in the Ravens front office. I give Ozzie the benefit of the doubt.

The pass catching options are scary, for sure, but this team won't 'rely' on Stokely or Clark. They will rely on Flacco, Rice, Torrey. Dickson will get some, and Clark is good enough to do what he did last year, catch 40 unspectacular balls.

Talking about missing the playoffs, in the AFC, seems like a reach to me.

Fair point, the AFC is pretty weak this year. I'm not even sure how many teams I'd say are definitely significantly better than the Ravens.

Definitely better:

Broncos

Patriots

Texans

Probably better:

Bengals

Steelers

Could be, but could easily not be better:

Chiefs

Colts

Dolphins

I've always liked Clark. I don't about for FF, but it can't be a bad thing to add him to a team.

TE is not a storied position in NFL history. He's gotta be one of the better TEs of all time.

Fair point, the AFC is pretty weak this year. I'm not even sure how many teams I'd say are definitely significantly better than the Ravens.

Definitely better:

Broncos

Patriots

Texans

Probably better:

Bengals

Steelers

Chiefs

Colts

Dolphins
How are the steelers better? they lost their wr1 and placing their hopes on a rookie rb after running the ball terribly last year. I expect both offenses to struggle at times but Rice and Pierce are likely the most talented skill position players on either team. I think the ravens defense actually improved in the off season, the only player I think they truly miss will be Ellerbe. Disregarding intangibles, last year Lewis was a liability in coverage and Reed was an awful tackler. If anything Healthy Suggs, Ngata and Webb puts this team above pitt's D, even more so if Polamau can't get healthy.

The raven's have a vacuum at wr2, but Dickson and Shaincoe are good blockers and they resigned Leach. This team will be able to run the ball out of TE sets. It won't be a top 15 NFL offense but it will be enough to win games. With the AFC as weak as it is, I would be shocked if this team didn't limp into a wildcard slot, there's a reason why the Raven's have the longest current streak of making the playoffs.

Definitely better:

Broncos

Patriots

Texans

Probably better:

Bengals

Steelers

Chiefs

Colts

Dolphins
How are the steelers better? they lost their wr1 and placing their hopes on a rookie rb after running the ball terribly last year. I expect both offenses to struggle at times but Rice and Pierce are likely the most talented skill position players on either team. I think the ravens defense actually improved in the off season, the only player I think they truly miss will be Ellerbe. Disregarding intangibles, last year Lewis was a liability in coverage and Reed was an awful tackler. If anything Healthy Suggs, Ngata and Webb puts this team above pitt's D, even more so if Polamau can't get healthy.

The raven's have a vacuum at wr2, but Dickson and Shaincoe are good blockers and they resigned Leach. This team will be able to run the ball out of TE sets. It won't be a top 15 NFL offense but it will be enough to win games. With the AFC as weak as it is, I would be shocked if this team didn't limp into a wildcard slot, there's a reason why the Raven's have the longest current streak of making the playoffs.
Probably better, but maybe not. If I had to pick who'd have a better season, I'd go with the Steelers, but I wouldn't feel great about it. Much of that decision might just be that Roethlisberger > Flacco.

Relying on?
well they didn't replace Boldin, the loss of Pitta is huge for that offense and I don't think they have a decent ILB on that team, Suggs, Elvis & upsshaw are all outside

I think the Bengals are the best team in the division this year.
Daryl Smith has and can play inside, if needed (if their rookie Brown doesn't give them what they need).

The subtractions are already well known, and has been discussed. Hence my reference to the 'death of the Ravens'. It's not like I am pretending they didn't lose anyone. THey also didn't have a healthy Haloti last year. The defensive line is going to be a lot better this year, IMO. I'll trade Kruger for Dumervil any day, and Canty is going to turn out to be a great sneaky addition for them, as will Daryl Smith.

I think losing Reed is bigger than Ray, and the team probably loses more in leadership than actual ability.

My opinion, I must admit, comes from a pretty good faith in the Ravens front office. I give Ozzie the benefit of the doubt.

The pass catching options are scary, for sure, but this team won't 'rely' on Stokely or Clark. They will rely on Flacco, Rice, Torrey. Dickson will get some, and Clark is good enough to do what he did last year, catch 40 unspectacular balls.

Talking about missing the playoffs, in the AFC, seems like a reach to me.
The scary thing about Torrey is its hard to rely on your WR1 when he is essentially a one trick pony. Where is the chain mover? I think that is where Stokely and Clark both come in. They both know the system and they can both find that space in that system that gives the 6 yards when needed. I don't think you can give that role to Rice out of the backfield exclusively without teams keying on him and I don't think that is good for his fantasy prospects. Similarly, they could go 2 RBs with Pierce and achieve that effect but I think with Clark and Stokely and Rice/Pierce all on the field, they find a way to get that itermediate game going.

In the AF, that is probably enough to still be in the running for a playoff spot. Probably will come down to them or the Steelers for a WC. Looks funny on paper but the Bengals have that division if they stay healthy. Very underrated defense, lots of pieces suddenly on Offense. No, its not Brees at the helm but they can definitely play a ball control, intermediate type of game that takes its shots with Green deep. In general, very balanced team.

I think there is a role for both these guys. Probably unspectacular in terms of fantasy but Clark could be a guy that might start a lineup, given byes, the loss of so many key TEs, etc.

Definitely better:

Broncos

Patriots

Texans

Probably better:

Bengals

Steelers

Chiefs

Colts

Dolphins
how are the Pats better? How did they improve? No Ahern, no welker, Gronk is super Iffy. Their Defense is very meh.

Any reason to think Dickson won't be the #1 TE, assuming he gets over this injury?
I guess I'm kind of thinking that Clark will be used more as a WR out of the slot as much as anything.
Any more clarity on this with Dickson returning to practice? I was hoping to take him as TE2, assuming he is the #1.
Latest I read was Clark in the "move" position so I suppose that leaves Dickson as the more traditional role. That makes sense from the standpoint that Clark never made a living blocking.

Definitely better:

Broncos

Patriots

Texans

Probably better:

Bengals

Steelers

Chiefs

Colts

Dolphins
how are the Pats better? How did they improve? No Ahern, no welker, Gronk is super Iffy. Their Defense is very meh.
Yeah it's extremely debatable til we see how the zillion rooks do.

He should retire, seriously
His FF stats were pretty good tonight
He had a ton of targets and seemed to actually be a featured weapon. Pretty much a direct Pitta replacement. Problem is, he was AWFUL. How many drops did he have in one game? The first one was a wide open TD. And at least one fumble to boot?

None of the receiving options looked to be helping that much. Not a lot of separation and when Joe did get it to them, they dropped it half the time.

He should retire, seriously
His FF stats were pretty good tonight
He had a ton of targets and seemed to actually be a featured weapon. Pretty much a direct Pitta replacement. Problem is, he was AWFUL. How many drops did he have in one game? The first one was a wide open TD. And at least one fumble to boot?

None of the receiving options looked to be helping that much. Not a lot of separation and when Joe did get it to them, they dropped it half the time.
I agree he looked like a waning player last night. I have watched Dallas a long time and it was tough.

However, with that being said, I think you absolutely can attribute some of it to rust and newness to the team (not the system, he is familiar) and his hands ARE much better than this. I think both those things will come around and they now have some extra prep time.

Combining that with the apparent look that he WILL be targeted out of necessity, I think he may be a pretty solid play each week. Typically, he does not drop passes like that. I don't like to play the what if game much but I CAN see a scenario where, had he been in camp all along, he could have easily had 2-3 more catches and a TD last night and that's pretty good.

On the downside, I think his wiggle is gone. He looked a lot like the current version of Gates to me; can still position himself but he's not going to make that subtle extra move that puts him open anymore. But, given the landscape of TEs right now and the need of the Ravens, I think he could catch 5-7 almost every week. Stockley is cooked. Probably only Brown's emergence, if it happens, pulls a lot of targets from Clark at this point. Whatever alien abducted Ed Dickson and replaced him with a marshmellow with greasy aligator arms should really consider returning him.

Clark was targeted 12 times last night, and twice in the red zone. It's very hard to predict TDs, but he's targeted 8-12 times every game he's going to produce, no matter how old and slow he appeared last night.

If he gets 12 targets a game this season it will amount to 204 targets - He would have finished second to Calvin Johnson's NFL high 205 targets last season.

If he gets 8 targets a game this season it will amount to 136 targets over the season - He would have finished with the second highest TE targets last season, one target more than Jimmy Graham.

That's a lot of opportunity.

The Ravens have no one to catch passes, and if game one is any indication Flacco is going to look Clark's way frequently. Call me crazy, but I would rather own Dallas Clark over Julius Thomas at this point. Thomas is getting lots of hype, but the sheer volume of balls thrown to Clark will make a top five TE finish very possible.

Users who are viewing this thread