What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dallas Morning News Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

doughboydeluxe

Footballguy
The Dallas Morning News is doing a Mock Draft and asking fans to be the GM for their favorite teams...

Wanted: GMs for Fans' Mock Draft

02:35 PM CDT on Thursday, April 13, 2006

Want to be a GM for the day?

We are looking for fans to serve as general managers for our annual Fans' Mock NFL Draft.

The "draft" will be held Thursday, April 27 at 2:30 p.m. CT.

What we need from you is your name, hometown, phone number (so we can contact you, not for publication) and your choice of team and why. Now everyone cannot be the GM for the Cowboys, Steelers or Patriots, so we need your second and third choices, too. And it would help if several of you would pick the Cardinals, Lions and Jaguars.

In addition, please send along a color photo in .jpg format for use in the draft.

Send your e-mail to mockdraft@dallasnews.com. Don't delay. We'll be making our assignments soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got selected to be the GM for the Broncos for the Dallas Morning News Fan Mock Draft taking place this Thursday at 2:30CT. Any input as to who I should pick? WR? DE? RB? Other?

I got selected to be the GM for the Broncos for the Dallas Morning News Fan Mock Draft taking place this Thursday at 2:30CT. Any input as to who I should pick? WR? DE? RB? Other?
I think DEN is clearly in a position of waiting to see who falls to them.

I got selected to be the GM for the Broncos for the Dallas Morning News Fan Mock Draft taking place this Thursday at 2:30CT.  Any input as to who I should pick?  WR?  DE?  RB?  Other?
I think DEN is clearly in a position of waiting to see who falls to them.
Agreed. Assuming things go as predicted, I am leaning toward selecting a pass rusher, but you never know when fans are making the picks. Should be a lot of fun no matter what.

Huge Denver fan and it is clear that we need a couple things. 1. A big time receiver! Rod Smith is getting a little old to be the #1 guy anymore and Lelie has failed miserably. Unless we get Javon Walker from G Bay, take Chad Jackson from Florida!!! 2. Now if we get J Walker from G Bay, we can look at the best player on the board with pass rushers or running backs. If Deangelo Williams is there, it will be hard to pass on him......holla.

That's pretty cool that they do that... :thumbup:

For Denver, I agree that it's more of a wait-and-see approach. I definitely agree with ComebackKurt in that they definitely need a WR. This year, however, is a pretty weak WR class. Especially compared to the last several years. I could see them taking Jackson or just looking to defense.

That's pretty cool that they do that... :thumbup:

For Denver, I agree that it's more of a wait-and-see approach. I definitely agree with ComebackKurt in that they definitely need a WR. This year, however, is a pretty weak WR class. Especially compared to the last several years. I could see them taking Jackson or just looking to defense.
Yeah, I would definitely take a WR if this was a good class. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things fall...

1. Houston Texans - Reggie Bush

"Comment: I don't think Houston is crazy enough to do anything different than what's being reported. If it were me, I'd pick Vince Young, but that's because I'm a fan."

2. New Orleans Saints - Mario Williams

"Comment: Obviously, I'd like the chance to trade down, to picj up some addition picks, but remaining at No. 2, Williams is too much of a specimen to pass up. With his size and speed, and what scouts are projecting for him turns out to be true, he's going to be a dominant pass rusher for years to come."

3. Tennessee Titans - Matt Leinart

"Comment: He played in a pro-style offense at a large school, and Norm Chow is familiar with him. Because of those two factors, he is used to the pressure of performing and his learning curve will be significantly short."

4. NY Jets - D'Brickashaw Ferguson

"Comment: Jets fans wanted a QB, and I was going to deliver with Leinart, but now will go with logic and solidify a shaky offensive line. Ferguson is one of the surest picks in the draft and will have an immediate impact on the offense."

6. San Francisco 49ers - AJ Hawk

"Comment: They lost both of the outside linebackers to free agency. With Mike Singletary as a defensive coach, Hawk fits the mold of Singletary protege, his heart and all-out playing style."

7. Oakland Raiders - Vince Young

"Comment: I'd love to trade up to the No. 2 spot, but the Saints wouldn't be left with much. The Raiders went into this draft knowing they wanted Leinart or Young, and Young fell into their lap."

8. Buffalo Bills - Michael Huff

"Comment: They've had back luck with Michaels from Texas before (Mike Williams in 2002), but he's the best playmaker on the board. The Bills will go for offensive and defensive line help in subsequent rounds."

9. Detroit Lions - Ernie Sims

"Comment: I feel that the Lions needs a playmaking linebacker. He can produce plays coming off the weak side."

Not bad so far. I see DET going for Justice to help the O-line, though. The Davis to GB pick got straightened out by Hawk to SF.

Not bad so far. I see DET going for Justice to help the O-line, though. The Davis to GB pick got straightened out by Hawk to SF.
Yeah pretty standard so far if you flip the GB/SF picks. Didn't think Sims would go top 10, but not totally out of whack.

10. Arizona Cardinals - Jimmy Williams

"Comment: I don't buy the Jay Cutler stuff, he played at Vanderbilt! I need a cornerback who is going to compete with our rookie pick last season, Antrel Rolle. I think the Cardinals will try to find a way to pick up Brodie Croyle in the second round."

11. St. Louis Rams - Broderick Bunkley

"Comment: We lost two defensive tackles in free agency (Ryan Pickett and Damione Lewis, both former first-round picks), and we signed La'Roi Glover from Dallas. But we had one of the worst run defenses in the NFL last season."

So far, from what I see, you're looking at WR Chad Jackson or QB Jay Cutler

Cutler has to remind Shanahan some of Elway. Big arm, not always the greatest accuracy, can use his legs but would rather hang & throw, heart of a lion.

Cutler has to remind Shanahan some of Elway. Big arm, not always the greatest accuracy, can use his legs but would rather hang & throw, heart of a lion.
Agree completely on Cutler, but would you take Jackson over Holmes?

12. Cleveland Browns - Jay Cutler

"Comment: This is a value pick instead of defensive needs. Trent Dilfer is not the answer at quarterback, and I'm not sold on Charlie Frye. You have a chance at a franchise quarterback, so you have to take it. I was surprised that he kept dropping like that."

Cutler has to remind Shanahan some of Elway.  Big arm, not always the greatest accuracy, can use his legs but would rather hang & throw, heart of a lion.
Well, Cutler is gone. Personally, yeah, I'd take Jackson over Holmes, though either is a decent choice, IMO. I think you'll see Holmes go to PHI.

Cutler has to remind Shanahan some of Elway.  Big arm, not always the greatest accuracy, can use his legs but would rather hang & throw, heart of a lion.
Well, Cutler is gone. Personally, yeah, I'd take Jackson over Holmes, though either is a decent choice, IMO. I think you'll see Holmes go to PHI.
I think PHI could go several ways - WR, Justice, or Ngata - and be OK

13. Baltimore Ravens - Haloti Ngata

"Comment: This is a steal! He is the best defensive tackle in the draft, a pick run-stopping nose tackle to make the Ravens defense work. They also need a safety, but good safeties will be available in the second and third round."

There you go.

If I were in your spot, I'd pick the WR I consider the best in the draft, and if either Holmes/Jackson goes to PHI take the other.

IMO.

There you go.

If I were in your spot, I'd pick the WR I consider the best in the draft, and if either Holmes/Jackson goes to PHI take the other.

IMO.
Really the only sensible option. If the Broncos ran a 3-4 I would take Lawson or Wimbley since they only managed 28 sacks last year.

14. Philadelphia Eagles - Winston Justice

"Comment: He helped Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart to be picked in the top three, and now he'll be rewarded with cheese steaks! "

15. Denver Broncos - Santonio Holmes

"Comment: Rod Smith is getting up there in a age, and it's definitely a need spot for the Broncos. I thought about going defense, they were third-to-last in sacks, but there's just no one there at this spot that would fit in with their defensive scheme."

16. Miami Dolphins - Chad Jackson

"Comment: Because Santonio [Holmes] is off the board, I'm going with Jackson. He has incredible hands, and the Dolphins needs a No. 3 to put with Chambers and Booker, but I see the Dolphins trying to trade about 10 spots for more picks. It was either wide receiver or linebacker."

17. Minnesota Vikings - Chad Greenway

"Comment: The Vikings set an NFL record with two linebackers from the state of South Dakota! They obviously need to upgrade at that position."

18. Dallas Cowboys - Bobby Carpenter

"Comment: I feel that he's the guy who is most ready for the NFL. He knows the position and is ready to go. He can rush, cover well, excellent competitor, solid tackler, very disciplined. He'll shut down the run (he did it against Vince last year!) The reason I didn't pick Manny [Lawson, North Carolina State] is no amount of speed can make up for being out of position."

18. Dallas Cowboys - Bobby Carpenter

"Comment: I feel that he's the guy who is most ready for the NFL. He knows the position and is ready to go. He can rush, cover well, excellent competitor, solid tackler, very disciplined. He'll shut down the run (he did it against Vince last year!) The reason I didn't pick Manny [Lawson, North Carolina State] is no amount of speed can make up for being out of position."
Ouch

19. San Diego Chargers - Jonathan Joseph

"Comment: San Diego just traded away Sammy Davis, and this pick clears up one of their starting cornerback slots. Joseph has the size and speed to step in and start from day one."

20. Kansas City Chiefs - Manny Lawson

"Comment: The Chiefs need defensive help, and since Jimmy Williams is gone, a good pass rush can help a pass defense. They can sure use him."

Users who are viewing this thread