What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Danny Amendola - Boston Marathon Relief Fund (1 Viewer)

PatsFanCT

Footballguy
"I will DONATE $100 for EVERY pass I catch next season to whatever "Boston Marathon Relief Fund" there is, And $200 for any dropped pass."

I'll guess 50 catches and five drops for a $6000 donation.

"I will DONATE $100 for EVERY pass I catch next season to whatever "Boston Marathon Relief Fund" there is, And $200 for any dropped pass."

Unless he breaks his arm patting himself on the back. Guy's getting over $8,000,000 this year.

And I'm guessing the folks kinda need the money NOW, and would rather not wait 10 months or so to get it.

Nice gesture, but not really what's needed.

Unless he breaks his arm patting himself on the back. Guy's getting over $8,000,000 this year.
I know he wants to do a good deed but it comes off as stingy. With his big bonus just cut a 100K check right and it will help a bit with his taxes next year.

I know he wants to do a good deed but it comes off as stingy. With his big bonus just cut a 100K check right and it will help a bit with his taxes next year.
I'm not going to tell him how or what to donate, but if you're giving pocket change, don't put it on Twitter.

I'm not going to tell him how or what to donate, but if you're giving pocket change, don't put it on Twitter.
How do you know he hasn't already given more? Maybe he's doing this just to generate publicity to get others to donate, both fans as well as other WRs.

Amazes me how some people find a way to tear down someone that tries to do good. It's not you or anyone else's place to determine how much he needs to donate to this. Maybe he's already giving a huge chunk to another charity as well.

Unreal.

:goodposting:

what a toolbox Amendola is.

How do you know he hasn't already given more? Maybe he's doing this just to generate publicity to get others to donate, both fans as well as other WRs.

Amazes me how some people find a way to tear down someone that tries to do good. It's not you or anyone else's place to determine how much he needs to donate to this. Maybe he's already giving a huge chunk to another charity as well.

Unreal.
Trying to do good isn't the same as actually doing good. I do hope that he has already given more than this, and I'm sure he's already given much more to other organizations and charities as well.

As he just recently signed a $28.5M deal with another $3.3M in incentives, and saying he'll donate - we'll estimate on the high side of this $10k, this is pretty much the same as a guy making $40k a year saying he'll donate $12.60......and will do so roughly 9 months from now.

I'm a bit surprised about all the negativity. The guy is donating to help out those harmed and he gets ripped because it's not enough? I'm starting to see why some athletes are so jaded.

He's generating publicity; bad publicity, just like Vick did when he gave $10K to the victims of the Virgina Tech massacre.

Unreal.
I'm not telling him what to donate. I'm telling him to shut his mouth if he's giving .1% of his salary. That's like you or me donating $50 and writing to the local papers about it.

I'm a bit surprised about all the negativity. The guy is donating to help out those harmed and he gets ripped because it's not enough? I'm starting to see why some athletes are so jaded.
I don't have an issue with how much he's giving at all. I have an issue with the timing of his donation (after this season), and him going on twitter or whatever to reveal that fact.

I don't have an issue with how much he's giving at all. I have an issue with the timing of his donation (after this season), and him going on twitter or whatever to reveal that fact.
I'd politely suggest you should have a much larger list of things to take issue with before this.

For all of you "taking issue" with how much he's donated and the fact he decided to put it on Twitter, how many of you have donated so far? You don't need to post your response here. Just a little personal reflection that might be in order.

My last response on the matter. As for me, I'd like to extend my thanks to Danny for donating whatever he decided to donate and applaud him for posting about it. If he garnered even one more donation as a result of his posting, it was worth it despite all of the people that he seems to have offended or have "taken issue" with his posting.

ETA--And for those looking for other places to donate in the future, you can try this too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, I'm not taking isue with "how much he's donated" as you state, I'm taking issue that he hasn't made a donation - and whatever he decides to give is based on his performance on the field over the next 9 months.

As for how much we have given - the anser to that question is likely zero as no relief fund exists at this time.

I don't fault him for giving, if in fact he has already given - which apparenlty he hasn't. We should all give all that we can - be it money, blood donations (which I personally can not do again for another 23 days or so), or if in the Boston area doing what you can for those directly affected.

If his idea spreads throughout the NFL, it could end up being quite a substantial donation. It needs to start somewhere, and this is just as good a way as any.

I'd politely suggest you should have a much larger list of things to take issue with before this.

For all of you "taking issue" with how much he's donated and the fact he decided to put it on Twitter, how many of you have donated so far? You don't need to post your response here. Just a little personal reflection that might be in order.

My last response on the matter. As for me, I'd like to extend my thanks to Danny for donating whatever he decided to donate and applaud him for posting about it. If he garnered even one more donation as a result of his posting, it was worth it despite all of the people that he seems to have offended or have "taken issue" with his posting.

ETA--And for those looking for other places to donate in the future, you can try this too.
I haven't donated anything. After reading about Mr Woodheads monstrous contribution from his discretionary income I will contribute a tin of baked beans next month.

Unreal.
Trying to do good isn't the same as actually doing good. I do hope that he has already given more than this, and I'm sure he's already given much more to other organizations and charities as well.

As he just recently signed a $28.5M deal with another $3.3M in incentives, and saying he'll donate - we'll estimate on the high side of this $10k, this is pretty much the same as a guy making $40k a year saying he'll donate $12.60......and will do so roughly 9 months from now.
And what exactly is the problem with a 40k guy donating 12 bucks in 9 months? Is that not the very definition of what the Jimmy V fund asks for? Whatever you can spare? Who are any of us to tell another person what they can spare...it is their money in the first place.

It seems to me this is an attempt by Danny to spur more athletes to do the same. He's giving somthing, how many of you have given to any charity this year?

He's giving somthing, how many of you have given to any charity this year?
That's just it, he hasn't given anything yet and apparently wont for many more months. The act of giving at a time of need is what's needed, not a promise to give some unknown amount many months from now. If he has an injury plagued season like he did last year or the year before - this "gift" may only end up being $5k 9 months from now. The time to give is now, not 9 months from now.

And what exactly is the problem with a 40k guy donating 12 bucks in 9 months? Is that not the very definition of what the Jimmy V fund asks for? Whatever you can spare? Who are any of us to tell another person what they can spare...it is their money in the first place.

It seems to me this is an attempt by Danny to spur more athletes to do the same. He's giving somthing, how many of you have given to any charity this year?
Look, when Allstate donates $1,000 per field goal to some worthy cause, they don't do it because they want to donate money to the cause; they do it because they want it to be known that they're donating money to the cause. That you'll think they're somehow a better company because of it. And that you'll get reminded about it at least once a game.

The reason why Woodhead's tweet rubs people the wrong way is that it makes the whole thing about him. An anonymous donation, or even a donation with his name but without the "look at me" stuff, would be more appropriate.

He's giving somthing, how many of you have given to any charity this year?
That's just it, he hasn't given anything yet and apparently wont for many more months. The act of giving at a time of need is what's needed, not a promise to give some unknown amount many months from now. If he has an injury plagued season like he did last year or the year before - this "gift" may only end up being $5k 9 months from now. The time to give is now, not 9 months from now.
It's sad and unfortunate that people like you can only see what they want to see. This athlete has pledged money to a cause in the future when most people will have moved onto something else and those that need the money won't have it. Donating to any cause at the start is wonderful but don't forget people have short attention spans and will move onto the next worthy cause when it pops up. Just looking at those poor people that lost limbs...they are going to have enormous bills and lifestyle changes. Amendola is pledging to give money at a later date and that will be used when there is a better idea of what certain people will need. Your high horse of "now or never" is absolutely vile and I really hope you take a step back and think about how these things work.

Any gift is better that no gift at all, I fully undstand that.

What I'm saying is that pleding some unknown amount (likely well under 1% of his income) to be given many months from now for a horrific event that happend less than 24 hours ago - and then tweeting about it isn't the way to go about it.

I'm not saying that he should have done this or that, but what he did wasn't the way to go about it.

Any gift is better that no gift at all, I fully undstand that. What I'm saying is that pleding some unknown amount (likely well under 1% of his income) to be given many months from now for a horrific event that happend less than 24 hours ago - and then tweeting about it isn't the way to go about it. I'm not saying that he should have done this or that, but what he did wasn't the way to go about it.
So when he presents a donation at the end of the year, it's only the amount that matters? You seem very hung up on percentage of income and timing which is very curious. If he doesn't present his pledge format on a social media site, how would you like him to do it? Keeping it to himself isn't going to keep it in the spotlight throughout the season as is the intention. Too many folks are attaching a "look at me" for these causes when the idea is that it will be mentioned every game in hopes that others will give or continue to give. Social media isn't going away and he's using it for awareness and to grow an already strong sense of community within the Patriots fans.

All the people in here that are ripping him for only 1% of his income or whatever it is, please post pics of your tax returns and yearly donations.

So he posts it on twitter? So what, he at least will be giving something, even if 1%, alot more than most people on these boards will donate.

Thumbs up to Amendola for his donation, $1 or $10,000, any amount will help.

THIS is a great way to use social media, imo, not posting pics of your outlandish lifestyles or stupidity.

He's generating publicity; bad publicity, just like Vick did when he gave $10K to the victims of the Virgina Tech massacre.

Unreal.
I'm not telling him what to donate. I'm telling him to shut his mouth if he's giving .1% of his salary. That's like you or me donating $50 and writing to the local papers about it.
Wow. How much do you think he should give?

>Amazes me how some people find a way to tear down someone that tries to do good. It's not you or anyone else's place to determine how much he needs to donate to this. Maybe he's already giving a huge chunk to another charity as well.

Unreal.
Actually it's nothing like that. Twitter is nothing like writing to your local papers. Nice hyperbole, but dumb. And if I wanted to help out a worthy cause, I'd think nothing of posting about my $50 donation to my twitter account (if I used one) to get others to consider donating. I see it on Facebook all the time with people who run races or make donations trying to get others involved. It's all about awareness.

You guys have a seriously warped way of looking at the actions of someone. Do you REALLY think he's doing this as a "look at me" ploy? Really? The guy has his own charitable organization. He's had this since 2010 well before he was making anything close to what he's making now. I'd be willing to bet he spends far more time and money (both amount and %-wise) than the vast majority of you complaining about a Tweet.

You're telling him to "shut his mouth"? Really? WTF are you? If even ONE other player in the NFL decides to give any money as a result of Danny's twitter post (whether out of guilt or good intention), then his post was a success. If it gets one of you schlubs to break open the wallet and donate in the future as a result, then he's done some good. You think he should shut his mouth and I applaud him for being the first one to post about it and hopefully get others to take action. I've already read comments on various newsfeeds thanking him for his contribution and volunteering to follow suit.

And those of you complaining of how much and the timing of his donation (months from now)....do you honestly think he's probably not giving some of his money on the side much earlier on? Even if you don't, can you say so with 100% certainty? If not, then you honestly should kindly #### and worry about other things. If he shows you a receipt in a week with a $100,000 donation, would you feel like an idiot for calling him out? Does it really matter? In the end, he's doing a good thing. The fact that it's not an acceptable amount or right time for you is ridiculous. Or the fact that you don't like that he's publicizing it. We should remove all sorts of advertising for charitable organizations or athletes or celebrities giving away? Don't you realize that the reason we hear about these donations is for awareness to get others to follow suit.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with you people? As someone pointed out above, THIS is what social media should be used for. And the fact you think this is a "look at me" ploy......unreal.

All the people in here that are ripping him for only 1% of his income or whatever it is, please post pics of your tax returns and yearly donations.

So he posts it on twitter? So what, he at least will be giving something, even if 1%, alot more than most people on these boards will donate.

THIS is a great way to use social media, imo, not posting pics of your outlandish lifestyles or stupidity.
If it's a $10k donation (which is giving him a generous upcoming season), it's .125% (an eight of one percent) of his 2013 income - payable 8-9 months from now.

Percentage wise I gave more to my church, my sponsor child in Uganda, my local SPCA, the Salvation Army, the Purple Heart - and if you want to give me a few dollars for each blood donation I make, the Red Cross. While I don't give much, I do what I can when I can. I don't post about it online - maybe I should or maybe I shouldn't.

If it's a $10k donation (which is giving him a generous upcoming season), it's .125% (an eight of one percent) of his 2013 income - payable 8-9 months from now.

Percentage wise I gave more to my church, my sponsor child in Uganda, my local SPCA, the Salvation Army, the Purple Heart - and if you want to give me a few dollars for each blood donation I make, the Red Cross. While I don't give much, I do what I can when I can. I don't post about it online - maybe I should or maybe I shouldn't.
Honestly, I applaud you for making donations and if you were to post them on your twitter or facebook account, that would be awesome too. That could potentially lead to bringing more awareness for others to donate.

I am just shocked at people who say how much someone should give. NO ONE knows how much amendola has given to this charity or various others. Maybe he already donated 20% to his own charities and figured giving SOMETHING/ANYTHING is better than nothing?

Applaud the guy for giving something, making it known in the twitter-verse and like someone said, if even one more person donates because of his tweet, it was worth it.

Wow. How much do you think he should give?
You apparently missed the two occasions in the post you were quoting where I said "I'm not telling him what to donate."
Ahh, you just know it wasn't enough to warrant an announcement. He probably should have consulted with you before going public.

I agree. Wonder how much those that are ripping him here have given.

gianmarco said:
CalBear said:
gianmarco said:

gianmarco said:
>>Amazes me how some people find a way to tear down someone that tries to do good. It's not you or anyone else's place to determine how much he needs to donate to this. Maybe he's already giving a huge chunk to another charity as well.

Unreal.

>
Actually it's nothing like that. Twitter is nothing like writing to your local papers. Nice hyperbole, but dumb. And if I wanted to help out a worthy cause, I'd think nothing of posting about my $50 donation to my twitter account (if I used one) to get others to consider donating. I see it on Facebook all the time with people who run races or make donations trying to get others involved. It's all about awareness.

You guys have a seriously warped way of looking at the actions of someone. Do you REALLY think he's doing this as a "look at me" ploy? Really? The guy has his own charitable organization. He's had this since 2010 well before he was making anything close to what he's making now. I'd be willing to bet he spends far more time and money (both amount and %-wise) than the vast majority of you complaining about a Tweet.

You're telling him to "shut his mouth"? Really? WTF are you? If even ONE other player in the NFL decides to give any money as a result of Danny's twitter post (whether out of guilt or good intention), then his post was a success. If it gets one of you schlubs to break open the wallet and donate in the future as a result, then he's done some good. You think he should shut his mouth and I applaud him for being the first one to post about it and hopefully get others to take action. I've already read comments on various newsfeeds thanking him for his contribution and volunteering to follow suit.

And those of you complaining of how much and the timing of his donation (months from now)....do you honestly think he's probably not giving some of his money on the side much earlier on? Even if you don't, can you say so with 100% certainty? If not, then you honestly should kindly #### and worry about other things. If he shows you a receipt in a week with a $100,000 donation, would you feel like an idiot for calling him out? Does it really matter? In the end, he's doing a good thing. The fact that it's not an acceptable amount or right time for you is ridiculous. Or the fact that you don't like that he's publicizing it. We should remove all sorts of advertising for charitable organizations or athletes or celebrities giving away? Don't you realize that the reason we hear about these donations is for awareness to get others to follow suit.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with you people? As someone pointed out above, THIS is what social media should be used for. And the fact you think this is a "look at me" ploy......unreal.
A little self awareness from Danny wouldn't go astray. A multi-millionaire bragging about a minuscule 4 figure donation? If he were making under 100k maybe it would be significant. As it is it looks like self promotion gone wrong.

matttyl said:
ClownDogs said:
All the people in here that are ripping him for only 1% of his income or whatever it is, please post pics of your tax returns and yearly donations. So he posts it on twitter? So what, he at least will be giving something, even if 1%, alot more than most people on these boards will donate. Thumbs up to Amendola for his donation, $1 or $10,000, any amount will help. THIS is a great way to use social media, imo, not posting pics of your outlandish lifestyles or stupidity.
If it's a $10k donation (which is giving him a generous upcoming season), it's .125% (an eight of one percent) of his 2013 income - payable 8-9 months from now. Percentage wise I gave more to my church, my sponsor child in Uganda, my local SPCA, the Salvation Army, the Purple Heart - and if you want to give me a few dollars for each blood donation I make, the Red Cross. While I don't give much, I do what I can when I can. I don't post about it online - maybe I should or maybe I shouldn't.
Not really a fair comparison. It will be a far greater proportion of your discretionary income than it is for Danny. For you it's something you'll actually miss. For him it's completely meaningless.

Lot of messed up people here. The guy is donating money to support his new community - maybe he's just trying to show some appreciation to his new home, and that maybe other players will follow suit.

Who cares whether it's a drop in the bucket - it's still a thoughtful gesture.

Again, I'm not busting on him for the donation amount. Any amount is better than nothing. I'm also really not busting on him for posting about whatever donation he sees fit to make - as others have mentioned, maybe it will get other pros to do the same. What I'm saying is that if he is making a donation, do it now when help is needed the most - and don't make it about you. He's saying that he'll donate for every catch HE makes? A better way would have been to say that he and/or the Pats are setting up a fund to help victims and he'll match donations or something like that. To me, this just comes off as self promotion at the exact wrong time. Great gesture, wrong execution.

Again, I'm not busting on him for the donation amount. Any amount is better than nothing. I'm also really not busting on him for posting about whatever donation he sees fit to make - as others have mentioned, maybe it will get other pros to do the same. What I'm saying is that if he is making a donation, do it now when help is needed the most - and don't make it about you. He's saying that he'll donate for every catch HE makes? A better way would have been to say that he and/or the Pats are setting up a fund to help victims and he'll match donations or something like that. To me, this just comes off as self promotion at the exact wrong time. Great gesture, wrong execution.
I'm not sure I completely get this argument. It's not like he is donating blood which would be a different argument. Sure there is going to be an immediate need for some money to help some of these families get by while loved ones are being buried or in the hospital but there will also be a lot of financial need a year from now. I would think typically there is a big outpouring of donations when an event like this has freshly happened but then becomes forgotten so the need will be there when this donation is made.

I'm not looking to nominate Amendola for man of the year but I see no reason to criticize his donation.

To me, it just rubbed me as self-promotion. I guess you feel differently. Any contribution made is better than no contribution made. I just don't think it was the best move for him to come out and say he'll donate what will likely amount to such a small part of his income (when just just recently singed a $28.5M deal), and will do so based on how good or bad he performs this year. He's making it about him - I guess that's the part that gets me.

I guess we can all take a page out of his book, though, and donate what we can, when we can, to this cause to help anyway we can.

This keeps attention on the event through the whole season, in our uber short attention span world that is a good thing. I'm pretty sure this was done with the best of intentions, seems wrong to critique him for it.

Not critizing the intentions at all. They are extremely nobel. I'm critizing the execution of those intentions.

And this attack will never be forgotten. Maybe I just feel that way as I myself am a runner, and had a marathon I ran 2 years ago ended just a few minutes faster I may have been running in Boston myself on Monday. I did have some friends, and one family member in the race, and they are all OK.

I did have a night to sleep on it after making my above posts, and I do feel a bit different about it today but I still don't think that this was the best way to go about it. To me, it's just making this about him, and not about those affected. I mean what's he going to do if he has a season ending type injury week 3?! Just say "sorry I only had 10 catches so here's a grand"? The thing to do would have been to make a relief fund with other players or the Pats organization and made it easily possible for others to help.

matttyl said:
ClownDogs said:
All the people in here that are ripping him for only 1% of his income or whatever it is, please post pics of your tax returns and yearly donations. So he posts it on twitter? So what, he at least will be giving something, even if 1%, alot more than most people on these boards will donate. Thumbs up to Amendola for his donation, $1 or $10,000, any amount will help. THIS is a great way to use social media, imo, not posting pics of your outlandish lifestyles or stupidity.
If it's a $10k donation (which is giving him a generous upcoming season), it's .125% (an eight of one percent) of his 2013 income - payable 8-9 months from now. Percentage wise I gave more to my church, my sponsor child in Uganda, my local SPCA, the Salvation Army, the Purple Heart - and if you want to give me a few dollars for each blood donation I make, the Red Cross. While I don't give much, I do what I can when I can. I don't post about it online - maybe I should or maybe I shouldn't.
Not really a fair comparison. It will be a far greater proportion of your discretionary income than it is for Danny. For you it's something you'll actually miss. For him it's completely meaningless.
Holy crap...who the hell are you to say its meaningless to him?And where did he brag about it? Do you know what brag means?

Again, I'm not busting on him for the donation amount. Any amount is better than nothing. I'm also really not busting on him for posting about whatever donation he sees fit to make - as others have mentioned, maybe it will get other pros to do the same.

What I'm saying is that if he is making a donation, do it now when help is needed the most - and don't make it about you. He's saying that he'll donate for every catch HE makes?

A better way would have been to say that he and/or the Pats are setting up a fund to help victims and he'll match donations or something like that. To me, this just comes off as self promotion at the exact wrong time.

Great gesture, wrong execution.
Kraft family will match $100,000 in donations to support Boston Marathon victim recovery

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Kraft-family-will-match-100000-in-donations-to-support-Boston-Marathon-victim-recovery/57121618-abfa-423c-90a4-bb0693d96868

Maybe this was sparked by Amendola. Maybe it wasn't, and if that's the case, his $10,000 will just be tacked on in December.

Again, I'm not busting on him for the donation amount. Any amount is better than nothing. I'm also really not busting on him for posting about whatever donation he sees fit to make - as others have mentioned, maybe it will get other pros to do the same.

What I'm saying is that if he is making a donation, do it now when help is needed the most - and don't make it about you. He's saying that he'll donate for every catch HE makes?

A better way would have been to say that he and/or the Pats are setting up a fund to help victims and he'll match donations or something like that. To me, this just comes off as self promotion at the exact wrong time.

Kraft family will match $100,000 in donations to support Boston Marathon victim recovery

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Kraft-family-will-match-100000-in-donations-to-support-Boston-Marathon-victim-recovery/57121618-abfa-423c-90a4-bb0693d96868

Maybe this was sparked by Amendola. Maybe it wasn't, and if that's the case, his $10,000 will just be tacked on in December.
$100,000 is like 0.1% of his salary. And look at him making this all about him. The nerve of that guy.......

This is exactly what's needed. Great gesture, and great execution by Kraft.

It wasn't sparked by Amendola.

Look, when Allstate donates $1,000 per field goal to some worthy cause, they don't do it because they want to donate money to the cause; they do it because they want it to be known that they're donating money to the cause. That you'll think they're somehow a better company because of it. And that you'll get reminded about it at least once a game.

The reason why Woodhead's tweet rubs people the wrong way is that it makes the whole thing about him. An anonymous donation, or even a donation with his name but without the "look at me" stuff, would be more appropriate.
Can't you just look at it as an "in the heat of the moment" type thing? He was moved to do something and acted quickly, likely without much thought behind it at all.

And why does Woodhead keep getting bashed here when it was Amendola. Do all little white people look the same to you guys?

Users who are viewing this thread