What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daunte Culpepper in negotiations with Green Bay (1 Viewer)

{Syrus}

Footballguy
A source of mine within CBS sports news is saying Green Bay has contacted Daunte Culpepper late this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not surprising. The Packers offered him a contract in April but he said no. If Rodgers has a dislocated or separated shoulder, Culpepper should get a chance to start right away.

i'll file this under "RUMOR" for now, but it makes sense.

What's the over/under on how much CPepp weighs in at these days? 275? 3 bills?

Yuck. Now this is one thing that can stop Greg Jennings. Man up Rodgers, you sissy. Favre would play right thru a seperated shoulder.

Yuck. Now this is one thing that can stop Greg Jennings. Man up Rodgers, you sissy. Favre would play right thru a seperated shoulder.
I remember watching Favre play with a sperated shoulder back in his first year with the Pack and dove into the endzone to win a game.That is a football player. And he limped around today on his way to 6 TD's. The Pack blew it this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Green Bay made a very bad move, to me Favre had one more year in him then Rodgers next year..RISK/REWARD goes pro wise too!
You mean the part where Favre retired, then said he wanted to play again so Green Bay flew down to welcome him back, and he said no thanks, I'm retired?

Boot said:
hellz_fireflies said:
Green Bay made a very bad move, to me Favre had one more year in him then Rodgers next year..RISK/REWARD goes pro wise too!
You mean the part where Favre retired, then said he wanted to play again so Green Bay flew down to welcome him back, and he said no thanks, I'm retired?
No..its the last part of that..when Favre said I'll come back..and they said if you do your a backup!

Todem said:
FavreCo said:
I remember watching Favre play with a sperated shoulder back in his first year with the Pack and dove into the endzone to win a game.That is a football player. And he limped around today on his way to 6 TD's. The Pack blew it this season.
They tried to keep Favretastic in Mississippi just for this reason. He showed them this week why they f'ed up.Call Jeff George over C-rotten-pepper. At least then Jennings will still get mucho balls thrown his way.Hell, call ANYONE over Rotten-pepper...Joey Harrington even.

Todem said:
FavreCo said:
They tried to keep Favretastic in Mississippi just for this reason. He showed them this week why they f'ed up.Call Jeff George over C-rotten-pepper. At least then Jennings will still get mucho balls thrown his way.Hell, call ANYONE over Rotten-pepper...Joey Harrington even.
They gave Rodgers a nice contract..maybe a tad lower for aQB...Ryan Leaf?

Todem said:
FavreCo said:
I bet Bert Jones could still out play some of that trash on the WW heap.

Todem said:
FavreCo said:
They tried to keep Favretastic in Mississippi just for this reason. He showed them this week why they f'ed up.Call Jeff George over C-rotten-pepper. At least then Jennings will still get mucho balls thrown his way.

Hell, call ANYONE over Rotten-pepper...Joey Harrington even.
Be careful what you wish for.Signed,

A Dolphins Fan

This is a very irresponsible thread title. First off, your "source" only says that Culpepper was contacted -- NOT that he was "in negotiations".

Furthermore, I find it to be extremely dubious that all of this could have taken place in less than 3 hours.

This is a very irresponsible thread title. First off, your "source" only says that Culpepper was contacted -- NOT that he was "in negotiations".Furthermore, I find it to be extremely dubious that all of this could have taken place in less than 3 hours.
Did you miss this in the topic title ****RUMOR***** ?????

This is a very irresponsible thread title. First off, your "source" only says that Culpepper was contacted -- NOT that he was "in negotiations".Furthermore, I find it to be extremely dubious that all of this could have taken place in less than 3 hours.
According to the original post, the RUMOR is that Culpepper was CONTACTED -- not that he was already in negotiations.

Holy crap. The board police are getting almost as bad as the trolls and the WDIS threads.

It says *Rumor* and since Daunte is his own agent any call to him could be considered negotiations on some level.

According to the original post, the RUMOR is that Culpepper was CONTACTED -- not that he was already in negotiations.
If I ever have some hairs that I need to split, I now know who to go to.But I think that contact is an step in the negotiating process, is it not?

Todem said:
FavreCo said:
:rolleyes:

bonesman said:
AnonymousBob said:
bonesman said:
{Syrus} said:
A source of mine within CBS sports news is saying Green Bay has contacted Daunte Culpepper late this afternoon.
Shouldn't they be contacting his agent?
He is his own agent.
:bs: :link:
Link to him being his own agent..http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3569109

Culpepper is one of the few players who hasn't had an agent. He represents himself.

"The decision I made in 2006 to represent myself rather than hire an agent has been an invaluable experience," Culpepper said.

Boot said:
hellz_fireflies said:
Go educate yourself on how all of this went down and you will learn you are so very wrong.

Boot said:
hellz_fireflies said:
Go educate yourself on how all of this went down and you will learn you are so very wrong.
Well here's the history per Wikipedia, if you have a link to an unbiased story that says otherwise I'll be happy to read it.Otherwise the below writeup pretty much says the same thing I've previously heard, read, and believe, and it doesn't touch on all the aggravation Favre caused the Packers the past few years with his off season retirement drama:

Retirement and return (2008)

On March 4, 2008, Favre formally announced his retirement.[51][52][53][54] Favre's agent, Bus Cook, stated "Nobody pushed Brett Favre out the door but then nobody encouraged him not to go out that door either. I don't think he had a lot of encouragement to stay, but nobody told him to leave either."[55] Cook also believed that Favre had not gotten the impression from the Packers that they wanted him back. Although Favre stated that he had been willing to play another year, he felt that another season would only be successful if he led his team to another Super Bowl victory. He added the chances for a Super Bowl win are small, and that he wasn't up for the challenge. At his press conference, Favre openly wept about leaving the NFL. He stated that his decision, regardless of what was being said in the media, had nothing to do with what the Packers did or didn't do. He said, seemingly contradictory to Cook's statements, that his decision to retire was based on the fact that he didn't want to play anymore. He said during the conference, "I know I can play, but I don't think I want to. And that's really what it comes down to." If Favre had stayed retired, he would have been eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2013.

On July 2, 2008, it was reported that Favre was in contact with the Packers about a possible return to the team.[56] On July 11, 2008, Favre sent a letter to the Packers asking for his unconditional release to allow him to play for another NFL team.[57] Packers general manager Ted Thompson announced he would not grant Favre an unconditional release[58] and reaffirmed the organization's commitment to Aaron Rodgers as its new quarterback.[59] Complicating matters is Favre's unique contract giving him the leverage to void any potential trade by not reporting to the camp of the team he might be traded to if the Packers elect to go that route.[60]

Favre spoke publicly for the first time about his potential comeback in a July 14, 2008 interview with Greta Van Susteren on the Fox News Channel's On the Record with Greta Van Susteren. In the interview, Favre said he was "guilty of retiring early," that he was "never fully committed" to retirement, and that he was pressured by the Packers to make a decision before the NFL Draft and the start of the free agent signing period.[61] Favre disputed the notion that he doesn't want to play for Green Bay and said that while he understands the organization has decided to move on, they should now allow him to do the same. He made clear that he would not return to the Packers as a backup and reiterated his desire to be released rather than traded, which would allow him the freedom to play for a competitive team. Favre also accused the Packers of being dishonest, wishing the team would have been straightforward with him and the public.[62]

In the second part of the interview, which aired on July 15, Favre expressed his frustration with Packer management, spoke of his sympathy for successor Aaron Rodgers' predicament, and affirmed he is 100 percent committed to playing football in 2008.[63]

FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer reported on July 16, 2008, that the Packers filed tampering charges against the Minnesota Vikings with the league office, alleging improper communication between Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and Favre,[64] although one source suggested that Favre may have been in contact with Vikings head coach Brad Childress.[65] After an investigation, Commissioner Roger Goodell ruled there had been no violation of tampering rules.[66]

Favre formally filed for reinstatement with the NFL on July 29, 2008, and his petition was granted by Commissioner Goodell, effective August 4, 2008.[67] Favre then flew to Green Bay to report to Packers training camp. After a lengthy meeting with head coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson, however, both sides agreed it was time for Favre and the organization to part ways.[68] McCarthy sensed Favre wasn't in "the right mind-set" to resume playing for the Packers, while Favre felt that his relationship with Packer management had deteriorated to the point that a return to the team would be untenable.[68]

Boot said:
hellz_fireflies said:
Well here's the history per Wikipedia, if you have a link to an unbiased story that says otherwise I'll be happy to read it.Otherwise the below writeup pretty much says the same thing I've previously heard, read, and believe, and it doesn't touch on all the aggravation Favre caused the Packers the past few years with his off season retirement drama:

On March 4, 2008, Favre formally announced his retirement.[51][52][53][54] Favre's agent, Bus Cook, stated "Nobody pushed Brett Favre out the door but then nobody encouraged him not to go out that door either. I don't think he had a lot of encouragement to stay, but nobody told him to leave either."[55] Cook also believed that Favre had not gotten the impression from the Packers that they wanted him back. Although Favre stated that he had been willing to play another year, he felt that another season would only be successful if he led his team to another Super Bowl victory. He added the chances for a Super Bowl win are small, and that he wasn't up for the challenge. At his press conference, Favre openly wept about leaving the NFL. He stated that his decision, regardless of what was being said in the media, had nothing to do with what the Packers did or didn't do. He said, seemingly contradictory to Cook's statements, that his decision to retire was based on the fact that he didn't want to play anymore. He said during the conference, "I know I can play, but I don't think I want to. And that's really what it comes down to." If Favre had stayed retired, he would have been eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2013.

On July 2, 2008, it was reported that Favre was in contact with the Packers about a possible return to the team.[56] On July 11, 2008, Favre sent a letter to the Packers asking for his unconditional release to allow him to play for another NFL team.[57] Packers general manager Ted Thompson announced he would not grant Favre an unconditional release[58] and reaffirmed the organization's commitment to Aaron Rodgers as its new quarterback.[59] Complicating matters is Favre's unique contract giving him the leverage to void any potential trade by not reporting to the camp of the team he might be traded to if the Packers elect to go that route.[60]

Favre spoke publicly for the first time about his potential comeback in a July 14, 2008 interview with Greta Van Susteren on the Fox News Channel's On the Record with Greta Van Susteren. In the interview, Favre said he was "guilty of retiring early," that he was "never fully committed" to retirement, and that he was pressured by the Packers to make a decision before the NFL Draft and the start of the free agent signing period.[61] Favre disputed the notion that he doesn't want to play for Green Bay and said that while he understands the organization has decided to move on, they should now allow him to do the same. He made clear that he would not return to the Packers as a backup and reiterated his desire to be released rather than traded, which would allow him the freedom to play for a competitive team. Favre also accused the Packers of being dishonest, wishing the team would have been straightforward with him and the public.[62]

In the second part of the interview, which aired on July 15, Favre expressed his frustration with Packer management, spoke of his sympathy for successor Aaron Rodgers' predicament, and affirmed he is 100 percent committed to playing football in 2008.[63]

FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer reported on July 16, 2008, that the Packers filed tampering charges against the Minnesota Vikings with the league office, alleging improper communication between Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and Favre,[64] although one source suggested that Favre may have been in contact with Vikings head coach Brad Childress.[65] After an investigation, Commissioner Roger Goodell ruled there had been no violation of tampering rules.[66]

Favre formally filed for reinstatement with the NFL on July 29, 2008, and his petition was granted by Commissioner Goodell, effective August 4, 2008.[67] Favre then flew to Green Bay to report to Packers training camp. After a lengthy meeting with head coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson, however, both sides agreed it was time for Favre and the organization to part ways.[68] McCarthy sensed Favre wasn't in "the right mind-set" to resume playing for the Packers, while Favre felt that his relationship with Packer management had deteriorated to the point that a return to the team would be untenable.[68]
Or you could read all the info from the NFL insiders and Favre that state the team decided months before he retired that they didn't want him back and made no attempts to ask him back. What you have posted is all the TT and McCarthy proraganda about the situation. Of course Favre wasn't in the "right mind-set" to return......it took a 6 hour meeting with McCarthy for Favre to fully understand the team did not want him back.

bonesman said:
AnonymousBob said:
bonesman said:
{Syrus} said:
Shouldn't they be contacting his agent?
He is his own agent.
:lmao: :shrug:
Link to him being his own agent..http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3569109

Culpepper is one of the few players who hasn't had an agent. He represents himself.

"The decision I made in 2006 to represent myself rather than hire an agent has been an invaluable experience," Culpepper said.
When he says he represents himself, I think it's just urban slang.you know... Reprezent!...yo

Boot said:
hellz_fireflies said:

On March 4, 2008, Favre formally announced his retirement.[51][52][53][54] Favre's agent, Bus Cook, stated "Nobody pushed Brett Favre out the door but then nobody encouraged him not to go out that door either. I don't think he had a lot of encouragement to stay, but nobody told him to leave either."[55] Cook also believed that Favre had not gotten the impression from the Packers that they wanted him back. Although Favre stated that he had been willing to play another year, he felt that another season would only be successful if he led his team to another Super Bowl victory. He added the chances for a Super Bowl win are small, and that he wasn't up for the challenge. At his press conference, Favre openly wept about leaving the NFL. He stated that his decision, regardless of what was being said in the media, had nothing to do with what the Packers did or didn't do. He said, seemingly contradictory to Cook's statements, that his decision to retire was based on the fact that he didn't want to play anymore. He said during the conference, "I know I can play, but I don't think I want to. And that's really what it comes down to."
Or you could read all the info from the NFL insiders and Favre that state the team decided months before he retired that they didn't want him back and made no attempts to ask him back. What you have posted is all the TT and McCarthy proraganda about the situation. Of course Favre wasn't in the "right mind-set" to return......it took a 6 hour meeting with McCarthy for Favre to fully understand the team did not want him back.
Those are all quotes from Favre and his agent - the Favre apologists would quickly have those quotes removed from Wikipedia if they weren't properly documented - but they are.You talk about "all the info from NFL insiders", I suspect that really means Favre and a few reporters who print what Favre feeds them.

If you have any links that are unbiased, I'd be interested in reading them, but I'm guessing you'll find it difficult to find a pro-Favre story where the info in it didn't mostly come from Favre.

Boot said:
hellz_fireflies said:

On March 4, 2008, Favre formally announced his retirement.[51][52][53][54] Favre's agent, Bus Cook, stated "Nobody pushed Brett Favre out the door but then nobody encouraged him not to go out that door either. I don't think he had a lot of encouragement to stay, but nobody told him to leave either."[55] Cook also believed that Favre had not gotten the impression from the Packers that they wanted him back. Although Favre stated that he had been willing to play another year, he felt that another season would only be successful if he led his team to another Super Bowl victory. He added the chances for a Super Bowl win are small, and that he wasn't up for the challenge. At his press conference, Favre openly wept about leaving the NFL. He stated that his decision, regardless of what was being said in the media, had nothing to do with what the Packers did or didn't do. He said, seemingly contradictory to Cook's statements, that his decision to retire was based on the fact that he didn't want to play anymore. He said during the conference, "I know I can play, but I don't think I want to. And that's really what it comes down to."
Those are all quotes from Favre and his agent - the Favre apologists would quickly have those quotes removed from Wikipedia if they weren't properly documented - but they are.You talk about "all the info from NFL insiders", I suspect that really means Favre and a few reporters who print what Favre feeds them.

If you have any links that are unbiased, I'd be interested in reading them, but I'm guessing you'll find it difficult to find a pro-Favre story where the info in it didn't mostly come from Favre.
Someday you will open your eyes.

Boot said:
hellz_fireflies said:

Someday you will open your eyes.
You keep tossing out one liners, but not links. Hmmm....And don't bother linking to the Favre interview with ESPN you mentioned in the other thread, I'm interested in the comments from the unbiased NFL experts you keep referencing.

If I ever have some hairs that I need to split, I now know who to go to.But I think that contact is an step in the negotiating process, is it not?
If Green Bay made contact and Culpepper said "No thanks", then there was no negotiating involved.

Users who are viewing this thread