What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Givens (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
I think he is an intersting player to watch this offseason. I think he is almost certain to leave NE. But where will he play. I saw one article that suggests Miami would have interest. What is the thinking about him? Will he go somewhere to be the #1 WR? What is his dynasty value at this point?

I bet Herm and the Chiefs take a look at him. I think Givens had a couple of good games against the Jets the past few years.

I think he'd be a great fit in SF.How many other teams can offer him the opportunity to be The Man? :bag:

Steelers, Eagles, Browns, Dolphins would be my top 4 guesses. A young, solid WR will get alot of love on the market. Personal guess would be the Steelers.

Steelers, Eagles, Browns, Dolphins would be my top 4 guesses.  A young, solid WR will get alot of love on the market.

Personal guess would be the Steelers.
Each of those would make sense. He would be starting for each of those teams and have a shot at being the #1 in Philly. None of those have a reliable #2 as of now, if you assume that Randle El leaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot depends on what Givens thinks he's worth. There was some speculation in Boston that he would probably be looking for 4 or 5 years and $20-25 million. On the surface, I'm not sure he's worth that much, but there's probably a team that will give him money close to that. And if that's what he really wants, then he will not be a Patriot.

I think a lot depends on what Givens thinks he's worth.  There was some speculation in Boston that he would probably be looking for 4 or 5 years and $20-25 million.  On the surface, I'm not sure he's worth that much, but there's probably a team that will give him money close to that.  And if that's what he really wants, then he will not be a Patriot.
Totally agree about the money aspect. The Pats have been haggling with him for two years and nothing has gotten done. I've never heard any numbers but that would indicate money will be a key factor in his decision (isn't it always). As far as the Pats go if they haven't signed up by now I'd be very surprised if he resigns. A few things about Givens:*It's a thin WR class so Givens is hitting the market at the right time. If Wayne resigns or gets franchised by the Colts that's even better news for him.

*I like Givens a lot. He's sort of a mini-Hines Ward in that he's a physical WR who's not afraid to throw his body around. He's made some very big catches for the Pats over the years. He's also very well like by his teammates.

*A knock on Givens is he gets dinged up a lot. He has never played a full 16 games in a season.

*I'm pretty sure the Pats have planned for him to leave since last summer. People forget but the Pats made a strong push for Derrick Mason last summer. They actually offered more than the Ravens.

*Givens is a very difficult player to put a dollar figure on. He's good but I have my doubts about him being a quality #1. There's not a team in the NFL he won't help but his overall value will be directly tied to his contract. A team could regret overpaying for him.

*As stated I have to believe the Pats have a plan in place for WR. If they lose Givens (and it appears to be the case) that leaves them with one very good WR and not much more. Davis can help but he's not top three material. Troy Brown is nothing more than a depth guy. Bethel is garbage and Sam is MIA. That means you can expect to see at least two and maybe three more new WRs on the Pats in 06. As far as who it is nothing would surprise me from going after a stud to a sort of WR by committe situation. The guy I think is the best fit is Moulds if he is cut. A Moulds-Branch-Watson trio would be pretty potent. Add in Graham, a decent #3 and that is some quality firepower. I think WR was not a big plus for the Pats this year. It is a unit that needs to be upgraded as a whole.

I think a lot depends on what Givens thinks he's worth.  There was some speculation in Boston that he would probably be looking for 4 or 5 years and $20-25 million.  On the surface, I'm not sure he's worth that much, but there's probably a team that will give him money close to that.  And if that's what he really wants, then he will not be a Patriot.
Totally agree about the money aspect. The Pats have been haggling with him for two years and nothing has gotten done. I've never heard any numbers but that would indicate money will be a key factor in his decision (isn't it always). As far as the Pats go if they haven't signed up by now I'd be very surprised if he resigns. A few things about Givens:*It's a thin WR class so Givens is hitting the market at the right time. If Wayne resigns or gets franchised by the Colts that's even better news for him.

*I like Givens a lot. He's sort of a mini-Hines Ward in that he's a physical WR who's not afraid to throw his body around. He's made some very big catches for the Pats over the years. He's also very well like by his teammates.

*A knock on Givens is he gets dinged up a lot. He has never played a full 16 games in a season.

*I'm pretty sure the Pats have planned for him to leave since last summer. People forget but the Pats made a strong push for Derrick Mason last summer. They actually offered more than the Ravens.

*Givens is a very difficult player to put a dollar figure on. He's good but I have my doubts about him being a quality #1. There's not a team in the NFL he won't help but his overall value will be directly tied to his contract. A team could regret overpaying for him.

*As stated I have to believe the Pats have a plan in place for WR. If they lose Givens (and it appears to be the case) that leaves them with one very good WR and not much more. Davis can help but he's not top three material. Troy Brown is nothing more than a depth guy. Bethel is garbage and Sam is MIA. That means you can expect to see at least two and maybe three more new WRs on the Pats in 06. As far as who it is nothing would surprise me from going after a stud to a sort of WR by committe situation. The guy I think is the best fit is Moulds if he is cut. A Moulds-Branch-Watson trio would be pretty potent. Add in Graham, a decent #3 and that is some quality firepower. I think WR was not a big plus for the Pats this year. It is a unit that needs to be upgraded as a whole.
:goodposting:

Steelers, Eagles, Browns, Dolphins would be my top 4 guesses. A young, solid WR will get alot of love on the market.

Do you think DG or ARE will command more on the market? If they're near the same price (I'd think so?) then they will not pay DG the same amount or more that they wouldn't pay ARE to stay.Jeez, that sentence is a grammar nightmare. I think I'm making my point, though.

Steelers, Eagles, Browns, Dolphins would be my top 4 guesses.  A young, solid WR will get alot of love on the market.

Do you think DG or ARE will command more on the market? If they're near the same price (I'd think so?) then they will not pay DG the same amount or more that they wouldn't pay ARE to stay.Jeez, that sentence is a grammar nightmare. I think I'm making my point, though.
I think Randle El will get more money for a couple of reasons. He returns kicks. He is also a little more flashy and will make the big play. I think Givens is more of just a solid WR that will bolster a receiving corps.

If Givens can be had for less money than ARE, and ARE leaves PIT, I'd hope the Steelers at least entertain the idea of bringing him in.

Miami Interested In WR Givens ...2006-01-30[The Call] The Dolphins are reportedly interested in New England Patriots wide receiver David Givens.The 25-year-old receiver made $1.43 million last year and will be a hot commodity on the free-agent market -- especially since there’s not a deep class this winter.

I think Givens would fit in with the Titans as well. They'll be looking for a veteran #1 WR to complement Bennett, Jones and Roby... and they're going to have some money to spend this off season.

I cannot see how Philly let's him go and Philly would be the best spot for him fantasy wise. He has never been a great RAC WR, but that might have been the system he played in, and the patterns he ran in Weiss' offense. At ND he was even a Tailback at times and that is the prototypical pedigree for RAC in the WCO.

Matters what you're looking for. Givens is a more traditional WR. While I don't think he's a #1 he's more suited for a top of the rotation WR than ARE. On the flipside if you need the special teams boost than ARE is your guy. I see ARE as more of a missing piece player. He's a great fit if you need a big play WR/special teams ace. If you're a good team and you're close he could help put you over the top. Yet, if you're thin at WR and really need to boost that area than I think Givens is a much safer choice.

I think Givens would fit in with the Titans as well. They'll be looking for a veteran #1 WR to complement Bennett, Jones and Roby... and they're going to have some money to spend this off season.
Agree that they need him. Vehemently disagree that they'll pay for him. You left out the best of their rookie Wrs, Roydell Williams.

Their FA money will be spent along the OL, at saftey, and hopefully at LB.

They will likely pursue a veteran WR, but it won't be someone of Givens' quality.

Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 2002 nwe | 11 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 9 92 10.2 1 || 2003 nwe | 13 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 34 510 15.0 6 || 2004 nwe | 15 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 56 874 15.6 3 || 2005 nwe | 13 | 2 13 6.5 0 | 59 738 12.5 2 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| TOTAL | 52 | 2 13 6.5 0 | 158 2214 14.0 12 doesn't deserve $4 million per year...he does step up in the playoffs however...Year Opp Result | RSH YD TD | REC YD TD---------------------+-----------------+----------------- 2003 ten W,17-14 | 0 0 0 | 4 26 0 2003 ind W,24-14 | 0 0 0 | 8 68 1*2003 car W,32-29 | 0 0 0 | 5 69 1 2004 ind W,20-3 | 0 0 0 | 4 26 1 2004 pit W,41-27 | 1 -2 0 | 5 59 1*2004 phi W,24-21 | 0 0 0 | 3 19 1 2005 jax W,28-3 | 0 0 0 | 1 3 1 2005 den L,13-27 | 0 0 0 | 5 54 1---------------------+-----------------+-----------------TOTAL | 1 -2 0 | 35 324 7nevertheless, only a GM on crack would give this guy what he wants...decent #2 wr, should stay with the pats if he knows what is good for him

Is there a team Givens would not be a good fit on. He is not your typical crazy WR - he plays big and he can make some tough catches.I hope the Giants land him and relegeate Toomer to the third WR.

Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| 2002 nwe | 11 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 9 92 10.2 1 |

| 2003 nwe | 13 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 34 510 15.0 6 |

| 2004 nwe | 15 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 56 874 15.6 3 |

| 2005 nwe | 13 | 2 13 6.5 0 | 59 738 12.5 2 |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| TOTAL | 52 | 2 13 6.5 0 | 158 2214 14.0 12

doesn't deserve $4 million per year...

he does step up in the playoffs however...

Year Opp Result | RSH YD TD | REC YD TD

---------------------+-----------------+-----------------

2003 ten W,17-14 | 0 0 0 | 4 26 0

2003 ind W,24-14 | 0 0 0 | 8 68 1

*2003 car W,32-29 | 0 0 0 | 5 69 1

2004 ind W,20-3 | 0 0 0 | 4 26 1

2004 pit W,41-27 | 1 -2 0 | 5 59 1

*2004 phi W,24-21 | 0 0 0 | 3 19 1

2005 jax W,28-3 | 0 0 0 | 1 3 1

2005 den L,13-27 | 0 0 0 | 5 54 1

---------------------+-----------------+-----------------

TOTAL | 1 -2 0 | 35 324 7

nevertheless, only a GM on crack would give this guy what he wants...

decent #2 wr, should stay with the pats if he knows what is good for him
I think there is more to Givens than meets the numbers. The Patriots don't adhere to a #1 WR mantra, and they are forever and a day hyping a spread the ball around offensive scheme. Givens was not in a WR friendly system , so its hard to really know if he could be a true #1 some place else.

Is there a team Givens would not be a good fit on. He is not your typical crazy WR - he plays big and he can make some tough catches.

I hope the Giants land him and relegeate Toomer to the third WR.
The key issue with a guy like Givens is the contract has to match the talent/production. He's not an All World talent. He's a guy who works hard, plays hard and will be productive yet he's never going to be an All Pro. If the money is reasonable there isn't a team he won't help. Yet, if you're going to overpay for a guy you're better off doing it for someone in the trenches or a CB and not for a good but not great WR.

Is there a team Givens would not be a good fit on. He is not your typical crazy WR - he plays big and he can make some tough catches.

The key issue with a guy like Givens is the contract has to match the talent/production. He's not an All World talent. He's a guy who works hard, plays hard and will be productive yet he's never going to be an All Pro. If the money is reasonable there isn't a team he won't help. Yet, if you're going to overpay for a guy you're better off doing it for someone in the trenches or a CB and not for a good but not great WR.
He is what he is. A perfect New England Patriot. I don't think he would as good anywhere else. Brady trusts him in the playoffs.

I think a lot depends on what Givens thinks he's worth. There was some speculation in Boston that he would probably be looking for 4 or 5 years and $20-25 million. On the surface, I'm not sure he's worth that much, but there's probably a team that will give him money close to that. And if that's what he really wants, then he will not be a Patriot.
David,Which teams do you think would be willing to pay that much? I just don't see it from anyone in the league but I'm surprised by a lot of contracts, i.e. Chad "Noodle Arm" Pennington.

Is there a team Givens would not be a good fit on.  He is not your typical crazy WR - he plays big and he can make some tough catches.

He is what he is. A perfect New England Patriot. I don't think he would as good anywhere else. Brady trusts him in the playoffs.
I think he can put up better numbers elsewhere but when you tie it in to the big deal he will probably get he will lose a lot of what his current value is.

David,Which teams do you think would be willing to pay that much? I just don't see it from anyone in the league but I'm surprised by a lot of contracts, i.e. Chad "Noodle Arm" Pennington.
I don't see him getting that much, but the papers in Boston were putting him in a low-end $3 million/high-end $5 million per year range once the signing bonus was added in.Signing bonus aside, is Givens worth more than . . .

Kennison ($1.6 mil)

Moulds ($1.5 mil)

Muhammad ($2.1 mil)

Glenn ($1.5 mil)

KJohnson ($1.5 mil)

RSmith ($3.5 mil)

JSmith ($3.5 mil)

Booker ($2.9 mil)

MRobinson ($2 mil)

Toomer ($2 mil)

Bruce ($5.8 mil)

Those were the 2005 base salaries of some other notable WR.

To answer the question, MIA, NYJ, and CLE all have already expressed an interest . . . and all have ties to N.E.

I read somewhere the Browns may have interest.
I've got to believe that the Browns and Jets will be two of the top teams interested.Before I gave it much thought at all, the Eagles immediately came to mind.

To answer the question, MIA, NYJ, and CLE all have already expressed an interest . . . and all have ties to N.E.
Isn't it tampering for a team to have already expressed public interest?By the way Miami is kind of a head scratcher. They have an aging D, no QB, an average O line and not the greatest cap situation. Spending money on a WR doesn't really make much sense with other more important areas to address.

Isn't it tampering for a team to have already expressed public interest?By the way Miami is kind of a head scratcher. They have an aging D, no QB, an average O line and not the greatest cap situation. Spending money on a WR doesn't really make much sense with other more important areas to address.
Technically it is, but all the teams involved are out of the running, and I don't think any of them have made mention of it other than Givens name being brought up and the teams in question indicating that they would have an interest in a lot of players should they part ways with N.E.

It won't happen but an awesome fit for Givens would be Carolina. He would be a perfect compliment to Smith.

Signing bonus aside, is Givens worth more than . . .

Kennison ($1.6 mil)

Moulds ($1.5 mil)

Muhammad ($2.1 mil)

Glenn ($1.5 mil)

KJohnson ($1.5 mil)

RSmith ($3.5 mil)

JSmith ($3.5 mil)

Booker ($2.9 mil)

MRobinson ($2 mil)

Toomer ($2 mil)

Bruce ($5.8 mil)

:no: Except for Booker and Marcus Robinson. Other than that, I'd rather have all of the others over Givens not factoring in their salary. Givens is very overrated imo.

I don't see him getting that much, but the papers in Boston were putting him in a low-end $3 million/high-end $5 million per year range once the signing bonus was added in.Signing bonus aside, is Givens worth more than . . .

Kennison ($1.6 mil)

Moulds ($1.5 mil)

Muhammad ($2.1 mil)

Glenn ($1.5 mil)

KJohnson ($1.5 mil)

RSmith ($3.5 mil)

JSmith ($3.5 mil)

Booker ($2.9 mil)

MRobinson ($2 mil)

Toomer ($2 mil)

Bruce ($5.8 mil)

Those do not take into account signing bonuses. :rolleyes:

Dave Givens is coming back to NE imo for one more year and will sign a 1yr deal, soIm not getting overly excited about him chasing the money just yet. Look for the Pats to give him 1.5 -2.0mil for the season and make another run. Givens has scored a TD in something like 7 or 8 straight playoff games which is nearly a record, all from Brady, plus he's always been a team guy, so I dont see him jumping ship quite yet considering how poor of a season he had due to injury. Theyll restructure some deals to make room for him and some other vets. Ive got him as a keeper in a dynasty. Personally, I hope he stays put.

Kennison ($1.6 mil)

Moulds ($1.5 mil)

Muhammad ($2.1 mil)

Glenn ($1.5 mil)

KJohnson ($1.5 mil)

RSmith ($3.5 mil)

JSmith ($3.5 mil)

Booker ($2.9 mil)

MRobinson ($2 mil)

Toomer ($2 mil)

Bruce ($5.8 mil)

You can't put the signing bonus aside. Just like you can't say Peyton Manning is cheap since his base salary last year was $0.655 mil.

:no: Except for Booker and Marcus Robinson. Other than that, I'd rather have all of the others over Givens not factoring in their salary. Givens is very overrated imo.
If Miami makes the mistake of taking on more salary in order to "upgrade" from Booker to Givens, it will be a very big mistake. His last three seasons are due to a high ankle sprain, a terrible offense with no running game, and a QB who wouldn't throw him the ball enough.
Those do not take into account signing bonuses. :rolleyes:
It does for Booker because he was traded from the Bears. :)

I don't think it will matter much unless Givens can stay heathy for a full season. He got crazy ops from Brady but keeps getting dinged (2 years in a row now). There are not many qbs who are going to put him in a better situation than Brady does.So If the market is not high for him then he may end up back with the Pats. They clearly like him. Been trying to resign him the past 2 years. but he wants too much money so they will let him test his value. I have not heard about there being bad blood between Givens and the Pats orginization. So if the money isn't there he may still opt to stay.Going to Pittsburgh or Philly might not be a downgrade for him but just about any other team would. I don't understand why Miami would want him. Booker is about the same talent level as Givens I think. The year of transition probobly won't be kind for his production imo.As a Givens dynasty owner I hope he stands pat.

Dave Givens is coming back to NE imo for one more year and will sign a 1yr deal, soIm not getting overly excited about him chasing the money just yet. Look for the Pats to give him 1.5 -2.0mil for the season and make another run. Givens has scored a TD in something like 7 or 8 straight playoff games which is nearly a record, all from Brady, plus he's always been a team guy, so I dont see him jumping ship quite yet considering how poor of a season he had due to injury. Theyll restructure some deals to make room for him and some other vets. Ive got him as a keeper in a dynasty. Personally, I hope he stays put.
Right, a 1 year deal after back to back 1 year deals under EFA and RFA tenders. :rolleyes: The guy can and will get paid by Washington or philly

Dave  Givens is coming back to NE imo for one more year and will sign a 1yr deal, soIm not  getting overly excited about him chasing the money just yet.  Look for the Pats to give him 1.5 -2.0mil  for the season and make another run.  Givens has scored a TD in something like 7 or 8 straight playoff games which is nearly a record, all from Brady, plus he's always been a team guy, so I dont see him jumping ship quite yet  considering how poor of a season he had due to injury.   Theyll restructure some deals to make room for him and some other vets.  Ive got him as a keeper in a dynasty.  Personally, I hope he stays put.
Solo-How's it going? Good to see you here. Unfortunately I don't see this happening (although I wish it would). It's pretty much what happened last year although the fact he was restricted and didn't get any offers was the big reason. Even though Givens didn't light it up he's coming onto the market at the right time. Outside of Wayne (who may resign or get franchised) this is not a strong free agent group of WRs. Therefore Givens value will get an extra bump. While his numbers aren't great that isn't unusual for Patriot Wrs. The fact he has two rings and is considered a clutch and tough Wr will lead someone to make him a solid offer.The Pats have had two years to make a deal with Givens and have not been able to get it done. Add in the fact they were willing to pay Mason very good money and my gut says they are not in rush to give him close to what another team will. He's been a very good soldier during this process and has done zero pissing and moaning. Yet, right now is his time to get the big payday and I fully expect him to take advantage of it. He's come a very long way from being a seventh round special teamer.

Dave  Givens is coming back to NE imo for one more year and will sign a 1yr deal, soIm not  getting overly excited about him chasing the money just yet.  Look for the Pats to give him 1.5 -2.0mil  for the season and make another run.  Givens has scored a TD in something like 7 or 8 straight playoff games which is nearly a record, all from Brady, plus he's always been a team guy, so I dont see him jumping ship quite yet  considering how poor of a season he had due to injury.   Theyll restructure some deals to make room for him and some other vets.  Ive got him as a keeper in a dynasty.  Personally, I hope he stays put.
Solo-How's it going? Good to see you here. Unfortunately I don't see this happening (although I wish it would). It's pretty much what happened last year although the fact he was restricted and didn't get any offers was the big reason. Even though Givens didn't light it up he's coming onto the market at the right time. Outside of Wayne (who may resign or get franchised) this is not a strong free agent group of WRs. Therefore Givens value will get an extra bump. While his numbers aren't great that isn't unusual for Patriot Wrs. The fact he has two rings and is considered a clutch and tough Wr will lead someone to make him a solid offer.The Pats have had two years to make a deal with Givens and have not been able to get it done. Add in the fact they were willing to pay Mason very good money and my gut says they are not in rush to give him close to what another team will. He's been a very good soldier during this process and has done zero pissing and moaning. Yet, right now is his time to get the big payday and I fully expect him to take advantage of it. He's come a very long way from being a seventh round special teamer.
Boston-

Greetings to you again, guru. I didnt know Givens was coming off back to back one year deals. I know the chances are slim, but personally, I just have a feeling he's staying put and riding it out for another ring. He's not getting one in Philly or Washington, but I think even after next year he'll be in line for a big pay day if he has a solid year and the Pats do something in the playoffs. From a fantasy perspective, Philly wouldnt be a bad place for him to be. The guy could be a TD machine with McNabb and a team that is more willing to go more often to a money guy. The Pats spread the ball around so much, Givens hasnt reached his fantasy potential even when he's been healthy. If he takes the money and runs, it'll suck. Just hoping it doesnt happen. Take care.....Ive got to rage a little more on Lions' fans.

I'll throw out a couple of teams that I could seehim going.

KC

Philly

SD

Wash

Givens wants to stay in New England and will give the Pats every chance to re-sign him:

Givens wants to stay
Workhorse-

If you would, give me the jist of this article. I have no interest in signing up for another subscription, but Id love to hear what he had to say....cut and paste or summarize?? Hook a bro up....thanks.

Givens wants to stay in New England and will give the Pats every chance to re-sign him:

Givens wants to stay
Workhorse-If you would, give me the jist of this article. I have no interest in signing up for another subscription, but Id love to hear what he had to say....cut and paste or summarize?? Hook a bro up....thanks.
I'd love to read it as well because this is the first I've seen of this being a possiblity. Solo-As you know the Pats are tight-lipped but there's a lot of speculation around here recently about the WRS. The word is expect big changes. How much of it is media-driven is always up for debate. Yet, right now it seems that El and Jurevicious are going to be names that are linked a lot to the Pats this offseason. I think either one would be a great fit and be a plus. ARE could be used to his fullest by the Pats (like he is with Pittsburgh) and would give them a big play threat they could really use (especially in the return game). As for JJ his size and style would be a nice compliment to Branch.

Another guy I think the Pats may look at hard is Keenan McCardell. He has a history with BB and I guess it was very good. He'd be a great addition as a #3 to go with Branch and whoever ends up at that other position be it ARE, JJ , Givens or someone else. At this point of his career he probably won't have a big pricetag but I think he would be a very big upgrade for the Pats WR corps. He's a quality veteran who should have no problem catching balls from Brady.

IMO this area of the team needs o be upgraded from 2005. It needs more big play ability and more depth. After Givens and Branch last year there wasn't much which made it much easier to focus on those two. Also, the playmaking wasn't what it should have been. If they upgrade here and Watson goes to the next level (which should happen) and guys like Graham and Faulk can stay healthy they could really take their pasing game to another level...and it's very good right now.

Users who are viewing this thread