What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daylight Saving Time ends this Sunday. Set your clock back. (1 Viewer)

I went ahead and set it back now. Give myself an extra 36 hours to enjoy/acclimate to the extra hour. 

Hey, look at me, I’ve already had 2 drinks and it’s not even 5:30 on Friday!

Oh look, two people without young kids or sleep problems. 

I frigging hate daylight savings time. Now it will be dark before I leave work for the next 3 months.
No more young kids;

Plenty of sleep problems - I am kind of zombie like right now actually and leaving work in the dark is pretty lousy, but if you work a longer day, depending where you live, you are either headed to work in the dark, coming home in the dark, or in my case on some days.. Both!

No more young kids;

Plenty of sleep problems - I am kind of zombie like right now actually and leaving work in the dark is pretty lousy, but if you work a longer day, depending where you live, you are either headed to work in the dark, coming home in the dark, or in my case on some days.. Both!
Both too often. I run after work so I really would prefer it to be light out later.

How many clocks do you actually have to physically change?

We have the stove, microwave and basement wall clock. Everything else does it on its own.

Oh look, two people without young kids or sleep problems. 

I frigging hate daylight savings time. Now it will be dark before I leave work for the next 3 months.
When do you leave for work, 6PM? Sunrise/sunset will be an hour earlier for the next few months.

Both too often. I run after work so I really would prefer it to be light out later.
Echo, there is virtually no benefit to the sun coming up at 7 instead of 8. Losing that hour after work is a schedule killer. Good weekend weather is a must or else I'm doing leaves in the dark all month. 

When do you leave for work, 6PM? Sunrise/sunset will be an hour earlier for the next few months.
I leave for work around 5:30am.

I drive home most days after I run, I won't get home until 6pm.

(Fwiw I was referring to it being dark for the drive home, not to work)

Sunrise Today: 6:09 am

Sunset Today: 4:49 pm

?

Last edited by a moderator:
-OZ- said:
I leave for work around 5:30am.

I drive home most days after I run, I won't get home until 6pm.

(Fwiw I was referring to it being dark for the drive home, not to work)

Sunrise Today: 6:09 am

Sunset Today: 4:49 pm

?
My bad.  But yeah when we start getting down around 10 hours or less of daylight, one trip or the other is almost always going to be dark no matter what the clock says.

My bad.  But yeah when we start getting down around 10 hours or less of daylight, one trip or the other is almost always going to be dark no matter what the clock says.
Right. I'd just prefer it to be after.

#firstworldproblems

I am now faced with the annual question:

Do I bother changing the clock in my car or just wait for the issue to correct itself in a little over 4 months.  ?

Our dogs get a biscuit at 8pm and they’re amazing at knowing when it’s time. Well see in an hour.

Although my wife has an 8pm alarm on her phone now that gets an amusing Pavlovian response.

My alarm clock has a DST switch on the back which will automatically adjust it by an hour. I never remember until after I've already manually changed the time. :wall:

Heard the best reason for still having DST the other day. Several school kids got hit and killed while waiting for the school bus last week. DST keeps it lighter in some areas during that time. 

Leave for work in the morning?  I don’t think you understand how this works. 
Was I really this unclear?

frigging hate daylight savings time. Now it will be dark before I leave work for the next 3 months.

Although if I'm being really accurate, it will be dark before I get home for the next few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard the best reason for still having DST the other day. Several school kids got hit and killed while waiting for the school bus last week. DST keeps it lighter in some areas during that time. 
Sounds like a great reason to get better lighting by bus stops.

DST keeps it light longer in the evening. DST ending today will make  sunrise earlier for schoolkids

Was I really this unclear?

frigging hate daylight savings time. Now it will be dark before I leave work for the next 3 months.

Although if I'm being really accurate, it will be dark before I get home for the next few months.
I can’t read.  Sorry. 

I am all for changing this as long as the choice is DST all the time. 

Though right now I'm on Kauai and get to miss this whole drama. Screw all you mainlanders.  :P

In order to have DST all of the time, you need federal approval. Florida actually passed this bill earlier this year but can't enact it.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20181102/florida-passed-law-to-stay-on-daylight-saving-time-so-why-are-we-changing-clocks
Indiana for many years stayed on Eastern standard time all year round, which given our location at the west edge of the time zone, felt more like Central Daylight time.  Anyone living close to the edges of the time zones get some weird effects no matter what.

West edge of the time zone? With DST, you get light until 10PM in June . East edge? Without DST you get sunrise at 4AM or some such garbage, and then in winter it's dark by 5PM.

Indiana for many years stayed on Eastern standard time all year round, which given our location at the west edge of the time zone, felt more like Central Daylight time.  Anyone living close to the edges of the time zones get some weird effects no matter what.

West edge of the time zone? With DST, you get light until 10PM in June . East edge? Without DST you get sunrise at 4AM or some such garbage, and then in winter it's dark by 5PM.
Almost 20 years ago, we lived in Phenix City, Alabama. One of 4 cities officially on Central but unofficially on Eastern. That's a bit confusing

"let's meet at the restaurant at 6"

"Official 6 or real 6?" 

?

Almost 20 years ago, we lived in Phenix City, Alabama. One of 4 cities officially on Central but unofficially on Eastern. That's a bit confusing

"let's meet at the restaurant at 6"

"Official 6 or real 6?" 

?
Back in the non-DST years here, there were some counties in the southeast near Cincinnati that would observe DST with Cincinnati, and a few NW counties would observe DST with Chicago, just to stay in sync with the nearby cities.  I used to work with a woman who grew up near Cincy, and they would refer to "fast time" and "slow time" during the summer when they were officially out of sync

I am all for changing this as long as the choice is DST all the time. 
It seems like of the 3 alternatives, this might be the most popular since people would rather have it lighter later in the day than in the morning.

I don't know a single person who enjoys switching back and forth.

So much confusion.

"I hate DST"

Well then you should be happy, because it just ended. 

I actually do hate DST. I don't like it staying light out until nearly 9pm in the summer. That's just too late. I also don't like the sun coming up at 7am like it did last week. Again, way too late. So I'm happy it's over for a few months. 

Users who are viewing this thread