What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DB Jason Allen at the Combine - Unreal (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I just saw something I didn't believe.

Tennessee's Jason Allen suffered an ugly hip injury in October. When it happened, I thought he might be done for a while.

He dislocated his hip in one of those :X injuries where he was pinned awkwardly and bent in a way that basically forced his thigh bone to pop out of the hip socket.

KNOXVILLE – The pain of the 27-14 loss to Georgia last night was one thing for Tennessee's players and coaches.

But afterward, their concern for fallen senior cornerback Jason Allen was foremost on everybody's mind.

Allen is expected to miss the rest of the season after dislocating his left hip late in the second quarter. It was a wicked-looking injury, as Allen's left leg was pinned underneath him when he tackled 6-foot-7, 250-pound Georgia tight end Leonard Pope.

The blow was intensified because Allen's teammate, Jason Mitchell, came from another direction to get in on the tackle of Pope.

After a long delay during which Allen's lower body was immobilized, he was carted off the field and taken to UT Medical Center for tests and observation. He was released last night and will continue to be evaluated.

The initial diagnosis was that there was no fracture of the hip, but the concern now is to make sure the blood flow in the hip remains strong.

Former Auburn star running back Bo Jackson had his career effectively ended by circulation problems in his hip.

Allen is likely to be on crutches for at least five to six weeks.
Fast forward to the combine where he ripped off a 4.39 40 and looked fantastic :eek: What a recovery.

I hope he does well.

J

I watched the coverage of his 40, and you could just tell he was ready to prove everybody he had the right to be there.

During the 40 he kept 'false starting', I think because he was so excited to be back on the football field, even if just for drills.

Could turn out to be a great story!

Last edited by a moderator:
Definite 2nd rounder, and he could sneak into the first. He's got a similar set of skills and versatility as Jimmy Williams and Michael Huff.

Definite 2nd rounder, and he could sneak into the first. He's got a similar set of skills and versatility as Jimmy Williams and Michael Huff.
Thanks Sigmund. Are you hearing any negativity over the hip injury? He looked obviously good to go yesterday.J

Thanks Sigmund. Are you hearing any negativity over the hip injury? He looked obviously good to go yesterday.J
Not anymore. Allen got rid of all doubts about the condition of his hip with that combine performance. Honestly, I think scouts would have given him a pass if he even looked like 75% of his former self because of the severity of the injury. The fact that he looked like the same guy that was graded similar to Michael Huff coming into the year was a huge upset.

I was watching the combine stuff last night when Jason Allen ran his 40 as well. I also noticed later when they were doing the change of direction drills that he wasn't on the field. Mike Mayock made a point of talking about it. He's probably not quite ready for that kind of stuff, but he did look quite good running straight ahead for such a wicked injury.

Adding to Bloom's assessment. I think he would've clearly been a 1st round candidate had he not gotten hurt. He was somebody that people were looking to possibly come out early last year and flirt with the first round.

Bloom - you think he'll be tried at safety first or will it entirely depend on where he lands in the NFL? IIRC, he's a little like Marlin Jackson in that he can and has played both positions? Don't watch enough Volunteer football to say definitively.

I was watching the combine stuff last night when Jason Allen ran his 40 as well. I also noticed later when they were doing the change of direction drills that he wasn't on the field. Mike Mayock made a point of talking about it. He's probably not quite ready for that kind of stuff, but he did look quite good running straight ahead for such a wicked injury.

Adding to Bloom's assessment. I think he would've clearly been a 1st round candidate had he not gotten hurt. He was somebody that people were looking to possibly come out early last year and flirt with the first round.

Bloom - you think he'll be tried at safety first or will it entirely depend on where he lands in the NFL? IIRC, he's a little like Marlin Jackson in that he can and has played both positions? Don't watch enough Volunteer football to say definitively.
Hey Bob, Jason Allen tore up the rest of the events as well. He had a 39.5 vertical. He was 6.75 in the three cone, which was only bested by a couple blazing smaller track guys. His short shuttle, 3.81 was the top time of everyone at every position. In the long shuttle he tied Tye Hill with the second best time of the combine. In the DB drills he was absolutely outstanding. I think Mayock must have confused Allen's group or something. :confused:

In the Combine thread I said he "may have been the star of the day" and I meant at any position. He was one of the top 10 most interviewed players, btw. My info is coming indirectly from a source in Indy.

eta: More DBs beat him in the 40 than beat him in the cutting and agility tests. Amazing recovery.

Right now, I have to cop out and say "it depends" which is also my answer for Huff and Williams.One thing I wanted to add about the impression Allen left on me after the combine - Its not only the results, as fantastic as they are, its also that he showed no tentativeness at all. His injury was one of goriest you'll ever see on a football field, and still he looks 100% confident in his body less than 6 months after that horrible day. I would understand if he didnt want to completely push himself, yet he ran like the injury never even happened.

Ill be pretty psyched if the steelers can land him or Mangold at the end of the first.

Hey Bob, Jason Allen tore up the rest of the events as well. He had a 39.5 vertical. He was 6.75 in the three cone, which was only bested by a couple blazing smaller track guys. His short shuttle, 3.81 was the top time of everyone at every position. In the long shuttle he tied Tye Hill with the second best time of the combine. In the DB drills he was absolutely outstanding. I think Mayock must have confused Allen's group or something. :confused:

In the Combine thread I said he "may have been the star of the day" and I meant at any position. He was one of the top 10 most interviewed players, btw. My info is coming indirectly from a source in Indy.

eta: More DBs beat him in the 40 than beat him in the cutting and agility tests. Amazing recovery.
That must've been the case. I didn't watch the entire show, but caught bits and pieces between chasing my 15 mth old around the house and away from the stairs. :) He looked great running.. If he last into the 2nd round, he'll be a S-T-E-A-L.

Also, his broad jump 10'11" was only bested by Cromartie and Watkins (by two inches)-- two tall leggy guys. You want to put pressure on your hips? Try the broad jump.

Users who are viewing this thread