What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deacon Jones dead at 74 (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
The Washington Redskins have learned last night through EVP/General Manager Bruce Allen that Pro Football Hall of Famer David Deacon Jones has passed away from natural causes at his home in Southern California. He was 74 years old.

Deacon Jones was one of the greatest players in NFL history. Off the field, he was a true giant. His passion and spirit will continue to inspire those who knew him" said Allen. He was cherished member of the Allen family and I will always consider him my big brother.

David Deacon Jones, who played for head coach George Allen with both the Los Angeles Rams and Redskins, Jones played defensive end in the National Football League for the Los Angeles Rams (1961-71), San Diego Chargers (1972-73), and the Redskins (1974).

He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980, his first year of eligibility. Jones elected to have George Allen as his presenter in Canton.

The Allen family had Jones present George Allen for his former coach's Pro Football Hall of Fame induction in 2002.

Jones specialized in quarterback sacks, a term he coined. Nicknamed the "Secretary of Defense", Jones is considered one of the greatest defensive players ever.

Jones was draft in the 14th round of the 1961 NFL Draft by the Los Angeles Rams.

He immediately became a part of the Fearsome Foursome defensive line of the Rams (along with Larry Lundy, Rosey Grier, and Merlin Olsen), which is now considered one of the best lines of all time.

In 1972, Jones was included in a multi-player trade with the San Diego Chargers and concluded his career with the Redskins in 1974.

Jones won consensus All-Pro honors for five consecutive seasons from 1965 through 1969, earned eight Pro Bowl honors and was twice named NFLs Defensive Player of the Year (1967-68).

In 1994, he also was named to the NFLs 75th Anniversary All-Time Team. In 1999, he was named by Sports Illustrated as the "Defensive End of the Century."

One of the all-time greats and one helluva character.

Some of my favorite NFL Films clips feature Deac talking about something hilarious.

RIP to originator of the head slap.

In 1967, Jones had 26 sacks in only 14 games, which (if official) would be the single season record. (The term "sack" had not yet been coined at the time, and official sack statistics were not recorded by the NFL until 1982.) Then in 1968 Jones had 24 sacks in 14 games, also more than the current NFL record. The sum total of these two seasons would give him 50 sacks in 2 seasons, far more than anyone else has achieved.Unofficial Annual Sack Totals(Source: St. Louis Rams, San Diego Chargers and Washington Redskins Media Guides)1961 8,1962 12,1963 20,1964 22,1965 19,1966 18,1967 26,1968 24,1969 15,1970 12,1971 4½,1972 6,1973 5,1974 3

R.I.P. Deacon. I used to enjoy listening to him on NFL films and had the pleasure watching him play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revolutionized the DE position and paved the way for guys like Bruce Smith and many others that would follow after him. Part of an amazing DLine in the 1960s that included Merlin Olsen with the Rams. One of the all time greats, the NFL even had to outlaw the head slap which Jones perfected.

How long would Deacon last in Goodells NFL? Great player but makes Suh look like a choir boy. I saw an interview with him talking about his best move was the head slap..or forearm blow to the head..it would stun the offensive lineman for a second and the Deacon would blow right by him. This went on week in and week out his whole career.

How long would Deacon last in Goodells NFL? Great player but makes Suh look like a choir boy. I saw an interview with him talking about his best move was the head slap..or forearm blow to the head..it would stun the offensive lineman for a second and the Deacon would blow right by him. This went on week in and week out his whole career.
Deacon played at a time and in an era when the NFL was the wild-wild-west and every NFL player of his era was playing under the exact same rules. The Deacon played within the rules of his time and era along with every single other NFL player of his time but he alone emerged as thee-best at his position and should be held to the standard of his time because quite frankly no one knew the NFL would change rules so dramatically. Rule changes that took place after he played are not the standard that Jones should be held accountable for because no-one knew the NFL would change rules and that their accomplishments would be questioned after-the-fact. He gets all of the credit he rightly deserves for being thee-best defensive end of his era. Suh is not the undisputed best at his position today and he is an embarrassment off tjhe field who has also embarrassed hmself on the field by flaunting the rules that every NFL player is held to today. It isn't fair to taint Jones by mentioning Suh in the same breath. The Deacon was thee-best. Rest in Peace Mr. Deacon Jones.

Often when I watch players from different decades of the NFL I wonder if their game would translate in today's NFL. Deacon Jones is one of the players I think would still be highly successful in today's game. There aren't a whole lot of other players that I would say that about.

Deacon played at a time and in an era when the NFL was the wild-wild-west and every NFL player of his era was playing under the exact same rules. The Deacon played within the rules of his time and era along with every single other NFL player of his time but he alone emerged as thee-best at his position and should be held to the standard of his time because quite frankly no one knew the NFL would change rules so dramatically. Rule changes that took place after he played are not the standard that Jones should be held accountable for because no-one knew the NFL would change rules and that their accomplishments would be questioned after-the-fact. He gets all of the credit he rightly deserves for being thee-best defensive end of his era. Suh is not the undisputed best at his position today and he is an embarrassment off tjhe field who has also embarrassed hmself on the field by flaunting the rules that every NFL player is held to today. It isn't fair to taint Jones by mentioning Suh in the same breath. The Deacon was thee-best. Rest in Peace Mr. Deacon Jones.
I agree...but the Deacon was one of the dirtiest of the dirty. And you are correct..that was acceptable at the time. During that period the NFL players who were the ones that were the judge and jury and justice was served on the field of play. Jones was the best DE of his era though.

I'm convinced that the best defensive players of the 60's would still be impact players of today. I'm thinking of people like Doug Atkins, Merlin Olsen, Butkus, Larry Wilson, Bob Lilly and Deacon of course. There are probably others of that group as well. The Vikings had some great defensive players like Page and Eller. The Packers had Willie Davis, Herb Adderly and Ray Nitschke. And that doesn't count any of the AFL guys like Willie Lanier or Willie Brown.

Often when I watch players from different decades of the NFL I wonder if their game would translate in today's NFL. Deacon Jones is one of the players I think would still be highly successful in today's game. There aren't a whole lot of other players that I would say that about.
Tombstone Jackson was a contemporary of Jones. Jackson was also a big time head slapper. I believe he called his move the halo spinner.

My favorite Deacon Jones moment was how he coined the term sack. He stated how he wanted to demoralize the opposing qb by conjuring up an image of Atilla the Hun devasting a city. They don't make characters like him anymore now they manufactured phonies like Ochostinko. RIP!

Users who are viewing this thread