What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dear Raider fans... (1 Viewer)

Looks like Peter King has something to say on the subject...check #5:

LINK
10. I think these are my non-football thoughts of the week:

a. One note for the highway-sign people of the Twin Cities: It does no good on interstate signs, instead of "INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT," to put "LINDBERGH TERMINAL" or "HUMPHREY TERMINAL" at different exits. That stumps me every time in Minneapolis. One of those, and I don't know which one, is the main terminal. Why not just put "MAIN TERMINAL" on the interstate signs instead of making us guess?
:goodposting: I even get confused sometimes.

Looks like Peter King has something to say on the subject...check #5:

LINK
I am sure it will be dismissed, but this sort of says it all. Nice link.
I appreciate the optimisim, but they still haven't played any games w/o Moss. I'll reserve my optimisim until I actually see this O play as effectivly w/o him.

A few quick thoughts:(1) If Randy has so much "value" in this "free market", why was MIN able to get so little for him. The answer is that despite the impressive statistics, he was hurting the team more than helping. Or else why trade him for so little? Think about what Jim Mora Jr. said when Owens speculated that he should be traded to to Falcons...where was his "value"?(2) I think the context of the quote actually support the way it is usually used. The etirity is more damning than the blip. (3) I would rather lose with class than win with Randy. Period. When he behaves as badly as he often does it reflects poorly on every other player on his team.

Moss should have never said that publicly, but I don't think hes different than any other star player.I'm not trying to act like I'm "in the know" or anything, but as a former college basketball player, who played on a few summer league teams where I was the best player, I understand the need for taking plays off here and there to keep yourself in the game since you're the go to guy. I would love to hear from some other athletes who have direct experience with this. My thought is that Moss only said what nearly every other star player believes. I wasn't the star player at all in college, but I knew the best player on my team well. And I can tell you for a fact that our coach told him to rest himself on the court at times if the play wasn't near him, so that he could stay fresh. Several people have brought up Michael Jordan's name....well do you not remember several big games where Pippen, not Jordan, guarded the other team's best player so that MJ would have his energy for the offensive end of the court?Now I realize that I'm comparing two different sports here, but I'm only doing that because I don't have as much first hand experience with playing football. However, I would think that its similar. Randy Moss cannot be tired when its 3rd and 10 and his team is relying on him for a big play. So on a 2nd and 10 play that is a RB sweep going away from Moss' side, he might not block as hard as he could....I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that it might hurt his team in the long run for him to spend a ton of energy blocking and then not being at 100% for the next play.And, yes, I know...these guys are pro athletes, they should be in great shape, they shouldn't need time off, blah, blah, blah....bottom line is that it takes a lot out of you to on every single play, and the best players- almost all of them- do take plays off in order to not ever have to come off the field. Randy Moss could just come out of the game every now and then like most WRs do. But I'm sure its better for the team for him to be out there not playing hard but still drawing a triple team and to have another WR out there going 100%.Just my two cents.
I understand what you're saying, but that's not how it comes across from Moss. If he or the coaches said he would rest on the field out of design or act as decoy, that's one thing. It's a part of strategy. But the way it comes out is "I'm Randy Moss, I do what I want when I want because I'm Randy Moss." If you read the full quote he sounds like he does just enough to be great, but he could be so much more.We disagree, that's cool...I'm sure Moss won't lose any sleep over it.

Yes, Moss isn't a great over the middle WR. But the point I'm making is that you're stressing his shortcomings, while overlooking Rice's. I could say: What happens when the game is on the line and the QB has overthrown Rice by a few yards, and only a WR with 4.1 speed can catch up? What will he do then? Unless Rice gets quicker, he'll never be on Moss' level....see what I'm saying? Now I agree that Rice is the best ever as of now. But both Rice and Moss have drastically different skills sets, so it seems totally unfair to just pick on Moss' shortcomings and say that until he improves those he'll never be as good as Rice, while totally ignoring the areas where he is better than Rice.
You're missing the point, as usual.Moss's weakness going over the middle has nothing to do with his skill set; it has to do with his character. Moss, if he had a stronger character, could easily be the best ever. But he won't be, because his character issues keep getting in the way, both on and off the field.
I disagree with that. Some people are not good at going over the middle. Moss is one of those.

A few quick thoughts:

(1) If Randy has so much "value" in this "free market", why was MIN able to get so little for him. The answer is that despite the impressive statistics, he was hurting the team more than helping. Or else why trade him for so little?

Think about what Jim Mora Jr. said when Owens speculated that he should be traded to to Falcons...where was his "value"?

(2) I think the context of the quote actually support the way it is usually used. The etirity is more damning than the blip.

(3) I would rather lose with class than win with Randy. Period. When he behaves as badly as he often does it reflects poorly on every other player on his team.
1. I could be off on a few of these as my memory is hazy from the fog, but IIRC....The 49ers only got a 2nd round choice for TO, the Colts only got a 2nd rounder for Faulk, the Bills only got a 3rd rounder for Henry, The Colts and Seahawks tried to trade Edge and SA and couldn't get anything more than a 2nd rounder for them. For some strange reason, NFL GMs way overvalue draft picks. That Minnesota got a 7th overall pick for Moss speaks volumes about how great Moss is...compare that to what the rest of these guys I listed went for.3. Every team has guys that are just as "classless" as Randy. So he has fun celebrating TDs and rests on certain plays so that he'll help the team more...who cares?

Users who are viewing this thread