What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Debate: Which of These Aging Veteran WR's Will (1 Viewer)

1 point per 10 yds. 6 TD's Give Reasons

• Derrick Mason

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keyshawn Johnson

• Muhsin Muhammad

• Joe Jurevicious

• Terry Glenn

• Rod Smith

• Donald Driver

• Eric Moulds

• Jimmy Smith

• Eddie Kennison

• Joe Horn

• Amani Toomer

• Isaac Bruce

• Keenan McCardell

• Joey Galloway

• Total voters

Englishteacher

Footballguy
Older WR's are consistently undervalued in drafts. You can get great value with them. Some things to consider: Who has the the most gas left in the tank? Who has the most talent? Who has the best surrounding cast? Is there a guy playing for a team with a poor defense? Are they still the #1 receiver on the team? What sort of offense do they play in? Are there younger guys who may emerge on their teams that will push them for receptions? Have they had recent injuries that have slowed their production?

Chime in, a lot of good guys here.

P.S. had to eliminate Bobby Engram and Marty Booker to pair it down to 15. But lets keep the discussion to these guys (plus Engram and Booker if you feel strongly about them, there may be another I missed but I think this is a good list).

These are all maybe what you would call second tier guys at this point. Marvin Harrison is old but still a huge producer. These are guys you'll be looking at in drafts who you'll be comparing with say, (the) Roddy White, Justin McCareins, Samie Parker, Matt Jones, Ashley Lelie, Mark Cayton, Kevin Curtis, and Reggie Brown (s). Plus some other more proven younger guys who many feel have more potential for even bigger upsides (Braylon Edwards, Michael Clayton, Nate Burleson, Houshyerdaddy) that will also still be outproduced by some of our venerable, elder statesman WR's.

2005 Stats

GM Yds TD's Player

16 1073 3 Derrick Mason

16 839 6 Keyshawn Johnson

15 750 4 Moose M.

16 694 10 Joe Jurevicious

16 1136 7 Terry Glenn

16 1105 6 Rod Smith

16 1221 5 Donald Driver

15 816 4 Eric Moulds

16 1023 6 Jimmy Smith

16 1102 5 Eddie Kennison

13 654 1 Joe Horn

16 684 7 Amani Toomer

11 525 3 Isaac Bruce

16 917 9 Keenan McCardell

16 1287 10 Joey Galloway

13 778 3 Bobby Engram

15 686 3 Marty Booker

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked Rod Smith. The safe pick IMO. Somebody else might go off for a few weeks. But the stone cold lock is Smith.

I picked Rod Smith. The safe pick IMO. Somebody else might go off for a few weeks. But the stone cold lock is Smith.
I have Smith in a league with a bunch of FBG's and he did very well for me last year. I expect more of the same this year. Great keeper for the draft slot I got him in.

Keyshawn is probably the best pick right now.

However, if McNair hits Baltimore, Mason shoots up the charts.

I picked Rod Smith.  The safe pick IMO.  Somebody else might go off for a few weeks.  But the stone cold lock is Smith.
I have Smith in a league with a bunch of FBG's and he did very well for me last year. I expect more of the same this year. Great keeper for the draft slot I got him in.
He is the guy who I have never drafted because I didn't think he had enough upside. But there is something to be said for a guy who consistently produces on the level with Rod Smith.

I voted JJ. Braylon Edwards won't be ready for the beginning of the season and probably won't be 100% healthy till way past the beginning of the season. JJ will be the WR1, he is tall and will probably be the favorite target of Charlie Frye. He might not get that many yards but fantasy wise I think he'll be good.

How many of the people that voted for Joe Horn actually own him?

Last year Joe Horn had several game time decisions on which two of them I got burned on.

Guy will play hurt, put up great numbers, BUT you get burned figuring out when he plays.

Seeing 0's as a score for your number 1 wr in a couple of games will make you say "never again"

I did not vote for Kennison (my vote went to Mason), but I cannot believe he has not received one single vote. He honestly would have been my #2 selection.

The guy has averaged 73 yards/game (1168 yards per 16 games) the past two seasons with 13 total TD's. The Chiefs have the same QB and did not added competition for Kennison in the offseason. I'd be completely shocked if Kennison did not easily exceed 1k yards...again.

I did not vote for Kennison (my vote went to Mason), but I cannot believe he has not received one single vote. He honestly would have been my #2 selection.

The guy has averaged 73 yards/game (1168 yards per 16 games) the past two seasons with 13 total TD's. The Chiefs have the same QB and did not added competition for Kennison in the offseason. I'd be completely shocked if Kennison did not easily exceed 1k yards...again.
FixedAgree. KC has done nothing to upgrade at WR and Kennison will just prod along and kill you with consistancy, Toss in some big games and he will be productive come year's end,

I expect the following guys to all have good value respective to their ADP:

Number one WR's in good situations

Joe Horn - Upgrade at QB, will be undervalued

Derrick Mason - Boller improvement could really help him

Muhsin Muhammad - IF Grossman stays healthy

Rod Smith - Won't be huge, but will be steady, think he is starting to show his age

The next tier

Joey Galloway - Tough to duplicate last year, especially if Clayton is healthy b/c that will hurt his numbers

Keenan McCardell - Depends on Rivers

Donald Driver - Depends on Favre coming back and Walker's health

Eddie Kennison - TD's usually low

I voted for Amani for several reasons:

1. Eli is getting better

2. He scored 5 TDs in his last 7 games. Kind of reminds me of Galloway 04 when he need time to get adjusted to new QB (Griese, even though he hit the ground running with Simms)

3. Giants have a tough schedule which could mean they will be throwing more in 06?

4. I am a Giants homer and from the Bay Area so have to show my boy Amani some love

Only problem I see is he is the #3 option in the passing game. Some might even say #4 option if you count Tiki.

I voted for Amani for several reasons:2. He scored 5 TDs in his last 7 games. Kind of reminds me of Galloway 04 when he need time to get adjusted to new QB (Griese, even though he hit the ground running with Simms)
Nice observation. In a few months, when I redraft Toomer late, I will give all the credit to my gut.

I think Muhammad is a lot safer with Griese in town as the backup. Grossman loves the Muhs and if he isn't effective or gets hurt, Muhammad will still be solid. I pick him slightly ahead of KJohnson because I think he'll score more.

wow, very impressive that every single player on the list has received a vote. (This must be a good poll. :P )
This is a good poll.For me, I had to narrow it down to WR#1s on their respective teams. That knocks out Keyshawn and Driver, amongst others.

I think JJ will be the #1 in Cleveland, but he wasn't my vote. He will do well there.

Eddie Kennison - good talent, not enough TDs. Gonzo and Parker take away some of his value.

Big fan of Rod Smith. Production is always there. But I see a bigger year on the table.

I went with Mason. Baltimore's passing game is likely to improve, although just how I'm not 100% certain. It could be Boller, it could be McNair. Could even be Collins. But I expect the biggest year of these receivers from Mason.

Can't go wrong with Rod Smith, Eddie K or JJ either. I would expect all 3 over 1000 yards.

I took Mushin (but only is Grossman is healthy!!!)
Have to like that they've got Griese now too. he might not be Elway but he's pretty solid. And having a rookie who played 10-14 games last year is not bad for 3rd string.

Mason his 1K yards with Kyle Freakin Boller as his QB. If McNair comes to town, he's good for 1300/8. Otherwise I'd pick Donald

I voted JJ. Braylon Edwards won't be ready for the beginning of the season and probably won't be 100% healthy till way past the beginning of the season. JJ will be the WR1, he is tall and will probably be the favorite target of Charlie Frye. He might not get that many yards but fantasy wise I think he'll be good.
Jurevicious is a nice prospect as well. he was in an excellent situation last year since Seattle scored a lot of touchdowns. Have to like his size, physicality, and guts in the red zone. He also benefitted from Jackson and Engram being banged up so most of the year he was in as one of the starting Wr's. I agree Braylon might be slow at the beginning of the year and I can't think of anyone on the Browns roster who should give JJ much comp. Northcutt is on the roster but he's Northcutt. I think the two keys for JJ in 2006 are health, last year was the first in two or three seasons where he stayed healthy, and the development of the offense. Reuben Druohns was the starting RB and only scored what 2 TD's last year. I think it will be hard for JJ to duplicate his 10 TD grabs from last year. I'm pretty high on him though for the value he might provide.

Mason his 1K yards with Kyle Freakin Boller as his QB. If McNair comes to town, he's good for 1300/8. Otherwise I'd pick Donald
I like Mason a lot too and he actually got my vote. That might be a high ceiling though I certainly think it's achievable. There were a lot of elements that were off last year for the Ravens O so if only a few of them come together they should be better. For instance, Jamal ran like a girl. If this offense does get going and the defense rolls as normal, they tend to get pretty predictable and one dimensional (run-run-pass) with a grind it out attack which would hurt the huge upside for a passing game. Still Mason is very solid, especially if 100% healthy. It would be interesting to see him play in an offense that is more wide open (Rams, Colts, Green Bay) but I doubt we'll ever see that happen. He's played for ball control offenses (Titans, Ravens).

I did not vote for Kennison (my vote went to Mason), but I cannot believe he has not received one single vote.  He honestly would have been my #2 selection.

The guy has averaged 73 yards/game (1168 yards per 16 games)  the past two seasons with 13 total TD's.  The Chiefs have the same QB and did not added competition for Kennison in the offseason.  I'd be completely shocked if Kennison did not easily exceed 1k yards...again.
FixedAgree. KC has done nothing to upgrade at WR and Kennison will just prod along and kill you with consistancy, Toss in some big games and he will be productive come year's end,
Kennison is a guy who you aren't excited about picking but hwo ends up being a great player for you. He's not Manny Ramirez but he's that consistent #6 hitter who always comes through for you with production.

I voted for Amani for several reasons:

2.  He scored 5 TDs in his last 7 games.  Kind of reminds me of Galloway 04 when he need time to get adjusted to new QB (Griese, even though he hit the ground running with Simms)
Nice observation. In a few months, when I redraft Toomer late, I will give all the credit to my gut.
I think Toomer is toast. Not enough left in the tank. He may benefit from being in the right place at the right time now and again but I don't think he's that good of a WR anymore. Call me crazy. Maybe you are corect about the QB thing, Eli is only going to get better but I think Toomer's ship has already set sail. A declining player IMHO. The situation is decent though.

I voted Joe Horn. Rod Smith is Mr. Steady, and would probably be my choice over Horn as an every-week starter. However, Horn will probably have a bit higher numbers in the end after a few more "boom" than "bust" weeks....... My :2cents:

I think JJ will be the #1 in Cleveland, but he wasn't my vote. He will do well there.Can't go wrong with Rod Smith, Eddie K or JJ either. I would expect all 3 over 1000 yards.
His career average for yards and receptions don't lead me to think he'll be a 1000 yard WR. Why do you think so? Why do you think he'll be the #1 and not Braylon Edwards?

I like Key to catch 80 balls this season with SS drawing so many double teams.

That being said, if the Ravens land a quarterback, especially if it is McNair, pencil Mason in for 80-100 receptions and tickets to Hawaii.

Nice poll to put out Englishteacher. I gave She a vote. Think Ownes is gonna bring the best put of her yet another year. Buckeyes never die.

And they just keep breeding better ones. Of coarse Galloway was a close second!

Users who are viewing this thread