What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Debating About Reporting A Service Company (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
Here's what happened . . . trying to figure out where to go and what to do next.

MONDAY AFTERNOON
- Noticed our furnace had a leaky pressure relief valve and called our oil service provider (they only service our equipment but don't supply us fuel).
- Was told that the company had been bought out, but we were in the system as an existing customer, and nothing changed other than the name.
- Confirmed that they bill time and materials, they would come and check the problem, tell us what the issue was and the cost, then get our approval, and bill us through the mail (ie, we would have 45-60 days to pay).
- The office said they had someone in the area, and they would be right over. I made sure it was not considered an emergency service call (they jack the rate up on those), and they said it was not.
- Service Tech #1 came and looked at everything and replaced the pressure relief valve. They previously would see what the issue was, would give us a breakdown, and get our approval. That didn't happen.
- I was curious by that and asked what the cost was, seeing how no one so far had told us any of that. The tech said that was an office thing, and he had nothing to do with pricing.

TUESDAY NIGHT
- We went and checked to see how the heating system was running and the boiler was leaking worse than before the tech came. Also, the pressure of the boiler was twice what it had been.

WEDNESDAY MORNING
- I called the office back and explained what happened, and I was told everything the office told me initially was incorrect.
- Since I was not a fuel delivery customer, the only way they would come service my furnace was if I signed an annual service agreement for $500 (which would not get me anything off the repair . . . just the privilege of them coming to me house).
- I explained I never would have paid them $500 PLUS the cost of the repairs and would have gone elsewhere. I also said that doesn't change that they made the situation worse, not better.
- After stomping my feet and refusing to pay the $500 or sign a service agreement, they refused to come out and fix the furnace without me paying for the initial service call.
- I asked how much that was and they told me it was X. They also said I would not be billed again for another service call since the first one didn't fix the problem.
- The agent on the phone indicated that I had been charged an emergency service call, which I should not have been, and that the charge would be removed.
- I paid X on a credit care for the initial repair and had them come back.

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON
- Service Tech #2 showed up to see what the problem was. However, he was a Tech-In-Training and couldn't figure out what the problem was. Service Tech #3 was called in.
- The third tech explained that Tech #1 should not have done what he did, as Tech #3 had to redo what Tech #1 did. Tech #3 indicated I would get a full refund for the first service call.
- Tech #3 changed out a couple of expansion tanks and a couple of controllers. They were there an hour.
- I asked if the problem might be the water heater. I was told we had the best water heater money could buy . . . no way was it the water heater.
- I again asked why no one presented me with an explanation of what services were being proposed and what equipment needed to be replaced. They just did the work.
- Tech #3 then explained they bill by the hour AND bill parts with a book value of what a repair should take (with labor costs added in).
- For example, the expansion tanks they replaced are $60 at any retail supply place (Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, etc.).
- However, Tech #3 said he doesn't do billing, but he believed they charge by the hour AND an inflated part charge with labor charges attached to the parts (4-5 times the retail price).
- I said that had to be wrong and instructed him to have the office call me ASAP. He did, but they did not call back before he was done. He called them again when he left, and still no one called back.
- At the close of business that day, I checked my credit card . . . and they had charged me 1.5X compared to what they told me for the initial service call.

THURSDAY
- I called first thing in the morning to complain about being over charged and to review what happened on the second service call. The office effectively punted and said someone higher up the food chain would be calling me ASAP. No one called me all day. I did not receive an invoice or breakdown of services, charges, parts, etc. We checked again . . . the furnace was still leaking (just in another spot).

THURSDAY
- I called again to discuss everything. Conveniently, no one was available, and a manager would call me back ASAP. No one called me back.
- Close of business, I checked my credit card again. They had charged my card AGAIN, this time 3X what they already charged me.
- The company website has a "message the owner" function, and at 9:30 PM, I send him a detailed account of everything I just posted here.
- Five minutes later, the owner called me to apologize, admitted none of this should ever have happened, agreed to reverse the charges on the credit card, and someone would call me first thing in the morning to get the repair done properly at no extra charge and review what the charges should have been.
- There was a sense of urgency to this, as the weather was expected to drop to a wind chill of -40 F.

FRIDAY
- No one called me until the afternoon. They sent Service Tech #4 (the guru) to resolve my issue. The office said once he reported in, they would call me about resolving the billing issues.
- Tech #4 said Tech #3 put in his notes he couldn't really identify what the issue was, so he replaced every possible part he could replace so they wouldn't have to come back.
- Tech #4 also said in his opinion, it was clear as day the water heater was the problem, and they didn't need to swap out all the other parts. He tried selling me on having them replace my water heater.
- No one called me back about the billing.

MONDAY
- The furnace still has an occasional leak from a spigot on the bottom, but the pressure has stabilized, and there hasn't been a pressure relief issue.
- No one has called me (a week since this started) to discuss the charges, and no invoice has been emailed to me (even though everyone promised they would).
- No charges have been removed from my credit card.
- My wife and I agree that we don't want any part of this shady company, and we don't want them coming back to do anything else.

I am ready to go on a rampage and report this company to every possible place under the sun. My wife wants me to keep working with them amicably to resolve the issues. We are now into this for $1,700+, still don't have any idea if they fixed the problem, and we have no faith that they actually did anything other than take our money. Based on all of that, what should I do next?

I'm in the HVAC business and pretty much EVERYTHING they did is wrong.

#1. I would do the "message the owner" thing again. This will be the only way this will get resolved. If you talk to him I would be prepared to tell him you are going to dispute the charges on your credit card AND if not done by the end of the day will report his company to the local district attorney for not informing you of your charges before doing the work.

#2. Once you get your money back never do business with them again. Any company that does not let you know the cost of what they are doing is borderline criminal in my opinion. A reputable company would never do this.

Ugh that sucks. Lots of good recommendations here.

As a side note, how do we feel about the phrase going postal given what it really means? I never thought about it twice until a few years ago my friend married a woman whose dad was murdered in one of the most infamous post office shootings (Royal Oak). It got me thinking it’s probably the modern equivalent of saying, “I’m going to go Sandy Hook” or “I’m going into school shooter mode”. Not saying anyone is wrong for the phrase, just wondering if it’s a phrase we should phase out.

As a side note, how do we feel about the phrase going postal given what it really means? I never thought about it twice until a few years ago my friend married a woman whose dad was murdered in one of the most infamous post office shootings (Royal Oak). It got me thinking it’s probably the modern equivalent of saying, “I’m going to go Sandy Hook” or “I’m going into school shooter mode”. Not saying anyone is wrong for the phrase, just wondering if it’s a phrase we should phase out.
I changed the thread title to be less inflammatory.

Definitely not one I would ever use at work. My last job was pretty high stress and at one point senior management felt the need to hold small group meetings with groups of employees. A lot of venting happened in those meetings and one guy used that phrase. A day or two later I got a call from a lawyer from HR asking me questions about it, whether I felt threatened, etc......Anyways, they fired the guy who said it. And, for the record, I didn't feel threatened and understood his frustration, but I knew the guy personally. Others in the meeting may not have known him and felt differently. I thought he should have been suspended, maybe made to take a class or see a counselor, but I thought firing was excessive. But that's the world we live in.

Leave the place negative online reviews? Report them to the BBB and state Attorney General’s Office? Or just dispute the credit card charges?
Yeah this. BBB complaint and dispute the charges. And sounds like these days leaving negative Google and Yelp reviews are also the thing to do.

Yikes.

Definitely not one I would ever use at work. My last job was pretty high stress and at one point senior management felt the need to hold small group meetings with groups of employees. A lot of venting happened in those meetings and one guy used that phrase. A day or two later I got a call from a lawyer from HR asking me questions about it, whether I felt threatened, etc......Anyways, they fired the guy who said it. And, for the record, I didn't feel threatened and understood his frustration, but I knew the guy personally. Others in the meeting may not have known him and felt differently. I thought he should have been suspended, maybe made to take a class or see a counselor, but I thought firing was excessive. But that's the world we live in.
Yeah I hear ya. I wasn’t threatened or even offended. Just sometimes we use phrases or phrases slip into the common vernacular and we don’t think about what we are truly saying. I don’t know much about your former coworker but I do feel a little bad for him. Not sure he really meant it in its fullest sense. Sucks he couldn’t get a second chance but I don’t know all the context around it/him.

But in all seriousness, absolutely dispute the charges to your credit card unless they refund it all. I wouldn't give them a dime as they've only worsened the problem and caused you to waste an inordinate amount of time and stress to address this.

Just curious... Did you sign anything at any time?

But in all seriousness, absolutely dispute the charges to your credit card unless they refund it all. I wouldn't give them a dime as they've only worsened the problem and caused you to waste an inordinate amount of time and stress to address this.

Didn’t sign anything. No contract, no estimates, no statement of work. Nothing that said I reviewed the work and agreed to it. Absolutely nothing.

I didn’t hear from them all day, so I reported it to my credit card. They will process the dispute, but they are hopeful the company is just slow in process my refund. I don’t want to keep going through the wringer over this and keep playing their game.

At some point this will end up getting ugly, as they will go after payment some other way. I am likely going to have to start over again with another service company, as the bottom spigot is leaking a decent amount.

Didn’t sign anything. No contract, no estimates, no statement of work. Nothing that said I reviewed the work and agreed to it. Absolutely nothing.

I didn’t hear from them all day, so I reported it to my credit card. They will process the dispute, but they are hopeful the company is just slow in process my refund. I don’t want to keep going through the wringer over this and keep playing their game.

At some point this will end up getting ugly, as they will go after payment some other way. I am likely going to have to start over again with another service company, as the bottom spigot is leaking a decent amount.
I would start with another company right now. No reason to wait. I wouldn't let the original company back in my house.

And if you didn't sign anything, no work order, no estimate, then there's no way you'll be responsible for anything. Your credit card will take it from here.

If you want to go hard in the paint, call in another company, have them fix it and then you send in an invoice to the previous company.

Last edited:

Eh

If you want to go hard in the paint, call in another company, have them fix it and send in an invoice to the previous company.
Pretty sure that won't work. "Do the work for me, but send the bill to that company over there" isn't something many businesses will do.

I respectfully disagree. They came out and caused (more) damage to his property. They did not have permission to make any repairs. He can 100% invoice the previous company. If they balk, take them to small claims. I know for a fact that the OP has all the notes he needs.

By the way, forget the Better Business Bureau. I mean, feel free, but you really wanna hurt them, find the local Facebook group for your town, then the ones for the surrounding towns.

Post it there.

Get the local Moms and Grannys fired up about this.

By the way, forget the Better Business Bureau. I mean, feel free, but you really wanna hurt them, find the local Facebook group for your town, then the ones for the surrounding towns.

Post it there.

Get the local Moms and Grannys fired up about this.
this. my one bad vrbo experience was going nowhere until i threatened to nuke them from orbit on every possible site that took reviews. refund came immediately with a disclaimer that by accepting payment, i couldn't leave any reviews for them. worked for me.

. He can 100% invoice the previous company.
He can invoice them, yes. A third party isn't likely to do so, which is the way I read your suggestion --- to have the third party bill the first company.
"have them fix it and send in an invoice to the previous company"

Sorry. Yes, I meant have the second company fix it. Then the OP sends his own invoice to the original company.
Thanks. Then I agree with you that he can do it that way.

Damn. Sucks all around. Dispute the charges, don't let them in, and leave sobre bad reviews everywhere. Call them shady and incompetent.

@Anarchy99
I think we're in the same area. Once you're sure you're not getting a satisfactory resolution. If you can share the name of the company, in this thread or via PM, I'd be happy to let others in my social circle know that they might want to avoid this business.

What do people suggest as a strategy after the charges are reversed on my credit card? The likelihood that the company just rolls over and goes away are zero. Take their phone calls? Answer their emails? Pay anything toward what at some point will be forwarded as a total bill? Let them take me to collections? Let them take me to court? I've never been in a situation like this before, so it's exploring a new territory for me. I was contemplating holding off on leaving negative reviews, hitting up social medial and local forums, or reporting them to the state for now, and then effectively telling them go away and leave me alone or I will go on the offensive. Good plan?

As a rule here, we don't charge anyone's credit card until they know what they are paying and agree to it.

And if we charge someone and we still haven't fixed the problem, that is our issue and not the customer. So we don't expect a customer to pay for a repair that does not work.

That being said, in this case I'd probably pay the original service call only. You did agree to let them come out and diagnose the issue. Normally should be anywhere from say $79 to $99. That cost basically covers the time it takes to send a guy out. Nobody is really making money on that fee, believe me.

To me, I'd send a letter with a check that says something like:

"This amount will cover the initial service call that I agreed to. Nobody at your company informed me of any repair costs and as of now nothing has been repaired at my house. My credit card company has reversed the charges that you put on there without my consent and I consider this matter finished."

If I got this letter as the service manager I'd eat those additional costs because we failed the situation. Not you. Their process is a mess.

And to add how pricing normally works in our business: companies normally either use a flat rate book or time and materials. Time and materials is exactly what it sounds like: they have a labor rate per hour, and then they have their materials cost (which is marked up).

The flat rate book is similar but it takes your labor cost divided by how long it normally takes to do a job. This normal time is basically an average in the industry. So let's say on average it takes a technician 72 minutes to replace a blower motor.

So they would take your hourly rate and divide it by 60 minutes to get your per/minute rate and then multiply that by 72 minutes. They then add your material cost (blower motor cost plus markup). That is your flat rate price for your repair.

If it takes the tech 60 minutes to do that repair, you are paying for 72 minutes. There is no deviation here. The tech gets paid the same hourly rate no matter what, so he doesn't get to bank minutes like in the auto industry.

Conversely, if that repair takes 87 minutes to do, you are paying for 72 minutes. Over time those numbers tend to even out for the service company.

EVERY service tech at a company should know pricing. We use flat-rate pricing here, so each tech has a spreadsheet that I created (for truck stock items), and we then use a software service for the rest (when they have to get a part from a distributor for example). So our guys in the field don't even have to call me for the repair cost.

Any service company worth their salt has a system like this. Now, on the east coast that may be different. Time and materials is a system most companies used forever, so there are some that still use this system. But even that system the techs or the office should have that information readily available to give pricing.

That company is operating in the dark ages if they just replace parts and bill customers later. It's stupid.

And one more bit of info regarding the markup of parts:

I can't tell you how many times people call me and say "well that part I can get on Amazon for $51 but you are charging me $400 for the repair".

So, our labor rate for the most part covers the salary for the technician, his liability insurance, his workers comp, his taxes that we have to pay, his van cost, which includes insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc. There is also some profit in there.

The materials markup covers the cost of the part, plus office overhead, the time it takes for me to answer the phone and get a tech to your house, the time of the office manager to process your invoices and pay bills and all that entails, not to mention all the other million other things it takes to run a business. Plus, we have to make profit or we won't be here very long.

It gets old trying to explain this to people and honestly it's one of my main frustrations with my job. Now, that's the business I have chosen and I understand that. But I just post this so folks understand most companies are honest and try to be fair. We are not out to screw you (at least most aren't).

The OP's company is representative of what is wrong in our industry. You just cannot operate that way anymore.

That company is operating in the dark ages if they just replace parts and bill customers later. It's stupid.
If that is their standard business practice, they must get absolutely destroyed in online reviews, BBB, etc. Terrible.

Yeah, I'd make try to make not paying/disputing credit card charges a last resort. As Chief mentioned, a check and a letter/email is a good idea.

Some documentation in case they try to put a lien on your house.

Social media or even the local news might be something to consider to get their attention.

More effective than negative reviews, imo. Once the negative review is left it's done.

But using social media or the local news to alert fellow citizens about the bad business practices of this company could get the ball rolling.

But send an email or Facebook message explaining the situation and that you would rather settle this before going other routes.

Yeah, I'd make try to make not paying/disputing credit card charges a last resort. As Chief mentioned, a check and a letter/email is a good idea.

Social media or even the local news might be something to consider to get their attention.

More effective than negative reviews, imo. Once the negative review is left it's done.

But using social media or the local news to alert fellow citizens about the bad business practices of this company could get the ball rolling.

But send an email or Facebook message explaining the situation and that you would rather settle this before going other routes.
There's about as close to a 0% chance of them succeeding on getting a lien on his house as you can get. When they show up with documentation, what are they going to show up? There's no estimate, no work order, no signature, nothing.

I wouldn't give this company a dime. Dispute the credit card and call it a day.

And really this is probably a go to the office in person situation. It's easy to brush off and messages through the website or phone calls.

You show up at the office wanting to discuss it they're going to understand this isn't going away, even if the owner isn't there the first time.

There's about as close to a 0% chance of them succeeding on getting a lien on his house as you can get. When they show up with documentation, what are they going to show up? There's no estimate, no work order, no signature, nothing.

I have disputed the credit card charges, but that apparently takes a few days before those charges will provisionally be taken off my account. It could take 2-3 months for the bank to resolve the issue. The company will be contacted to provide their side of the story. They will be compelled to provide proof and documentation. I then get a chance to rebut their claims, and ultimately it will go to arbitration between my credit card company and their merchant services company.

That's great and wonderful that I likely will have the charges removed from my card, but that doesn't mean they aren't entitled to try to collect money for their products and services. I have spoken with them enough times and demanded phone calls and explanations a dozen times by now, and they have never gotten back to me. Not sure what they will do once they find out all the money will be pulled out from under them in a few days. They will say they are out $2,000. I will say I never agreed to what they did, and my system still isn't working properly.

For now, I am refraining from posting about my experience or leaving any negative reviews. I guess I will see how things go moving forward to determine how public I want to make this situation.

I have disputed the credit card charges, but that apparently takes a few days before those charges will provisionally be taken off my account. It could take 2-3 months for the bank to resolve the issue. The company will be contacted to provide their side of the story. They will be compelled to provide proof and documentation. I then get a chance to rebut their claims, and ultimately it will go to arbitration between my credit card company and their merchant services company.

That's great and wonderful that I likely will have the charges removed from my card, but that doesn't mean they aren't entitled to try to collect money for their products and services. I have spoken with them enough times and demanded phone calls and explanations a dozen times by now, and they have never gotten back to me. Not sure what they will do once they find out all the money will be pulled out from under them in a few days. They will say they are out $2,000. I will say I never agreed to what they did, and my system still isn't working properly.

For now, I am refraining from posting about my experience or leaving any negative reviews. I guess I will see how things go moving forward to determine how public I want to make this situation.
Except re: the bolded, they can try any avenue they want to collect that money and will fail miserably.

No small claims court or lien assessment will award them a dime when they can't show a single signed work order, estimate, etc.

They performed unauthorized work. They can't recoup that and they don't have any recourse to collect on it. If they even try to go that route, then you counter claim for damages they caused. But it will never get there because they know they have no chance in winning any judgement.

Which is why you dispute the charge, let that play out (since they can't prove anything with the credit card either), then you'll be made whole.

And really this is probably a go to the office in person situation. It's easy to brush off and messages through the website or phone calls.

You show up at the office wanting to discuss it they're going to understand this isn't going away, even if the owner isn't there the first time.
The trip back and forth would take me two and a half hours plus whatever time I am there. Sorry, not willing to take more time off of work for them (I had to come home and take three partial workdays as I had to wait around for them to show up and work on my heating system). Why should I lose even more money (not working) so they can give me the run around about taking my money? All that time is a net loss as far as I am concerned.

The trip back and forth would take me two and a half hours plus whatever time I am there. Sorry, not willing to take more time off of work for them (I had to come home and take three partial workdays as I had to wait around for them to show up and work on my heating system). Why should I lose even more money (not working) so they can give me the run around about taking my money? All that time is a net loss as far as I am concerned.
Oh dear. Scratch that.

@Anarchy99 Is there any path that allows you to go after their business license?

When we built our house the builder/his crew when they backfilled drove over our septic line that ran out of the house and into the tank. I knew it was cracked becasue I had waste water running down my basement walls. He argued I was making it up, even though I provided him pictures...blew off all phone calls and other contacts and basically called it a day with me.

I went to the State Attorney General's office and filled a complaint (at that time in Michigan, you could go after their business licenses and any other pertinent licenses as part of the resolution. Funny...as soon as he was served with that claim document, he immediately called that day and brought his crew with a backhoe and the necessary materials to correct the problem and gave me a $500 refund on my construction costs.

Just wondering if there is a similar way in your neck of the woods to put this type of pressure on to correct the situation.

As a rule here, we don't charge anyone's credit card until they know what they are paying and agree to it.

And if we charge someone and we still haven't fixed the problem, that is our issue and not the customer. So we don't expect a customer to pay for a repair that does not work.

That being said, in this case I'd probably pay the original service call only. You did agree to let them come out and diagnose the issue. Normally should be anywhere from say $79 to $99. That cost basically covers the time it takes to send a guy out. Nobody is really making money on that fee, believe me.

Why should he even pay for the initial call when they got it wrong?

@Anarchy99 Is there any path that allows you to go after their business license?

When we built our house the builder/his crew when they backfilled drove over our septic line that ran out of the house and into the tank. I knew it was cracked becasue I had waste water running down my basement walls. He argued I was making it up, even though I provided him pictures...blew off all phone calls and other contacts and basically called it a day with me.

I went to the State Attorney General's office and filled a complaint (at that time in Michigan, you could go after their business licenses and any other pertinent licenses as part of the resolution. Funny...as soon as he was served with that claim document, he immediately called that day and brought his crew with a backhoe and the necessary materials to correct the problem and gave me a $500 refund on my construction costs.

Just wondering if there is a similar way in your neck of the woods to put this type of pressure on to correct the situation.
That's a tough one to answer. The short answer is . . . it's complicated. In my state, contractors don't have to be licensed. Anyone can open up shop and provide services. There are no requirements, licenses, certifications,or training the state mandates to run a business. So on that front, I doubt I could do anything. The business operates in multiple states, but I am unsure if I could file a complaint in a state that is different than where the work was completed. I would guess probably not, as the state regulatory board likely only cares what goes on in their own state, not someone else's. The only recourse I have is going to the state AG's office and filing a complaint . . .but what they can do about it is a mystery.

We will end up getting a different company in (likely a plumber not an oil service company). There are a couple of places other local people have recommended. Depending upon what they say / have to do / charge will likely impact how crazy I want to go in terms of making life difficult for the oil service company.

Last edited:
Welp, I got an update and am totally dumbfounded. I spoke with my bank, and my dispute was denied. Final answer. No appeal allowed. Apparently, instead of writing it up as "no signature, no contract, no valid agreement, " they wrote it up as "owner promised refund." They reached out to the owner, who said he never said that, said I never cancelled the request for services, and turned the tables and said "customer must prove in writing where the company agreed to a refund." Clearly, as I still have nothing in writing from this company AT ALL, I can't prove that.

I verbally undressed the woman from my bank on the phone. I spent an hour AGAIN explaining everything all over again, and she said she will try to refile the dispute the way it should have been filed again. However, she said she has never seen this type of situation before, her manager is off today and therefore is flying solo, and she has no idea if they can even do that. I am livid. Incensed. Infuriated beyond believe. Steamed. Well, you get the idea.

Last edited:
Oof. knew the owner was going to go full douche mode. You don’t have employees acting like that without the owner leading the charge. Credit card company needs to lead here. You are their client, not him.

Time for an attorney?
Yeah, maybe, but part of me things I would just be shelling out even more money that I won't get back. I would have to sue for an insane amount of money to get back what I already paid, my time, and whatever I have to pay an attorney. The couple of other times I had to use an attorney, even though I won, I actually lost money.

Time for an attorney?
Yeah, maybe, but part of me things I would just be shelling out even more money that I won't get back. I would have to sue for an insane amount of money to get back what I already paid, my time, and whatever I have to pay an attorney. The couple of other times I had to use an attorney, even though I won, I actually lost money.
Sorry bud. Awful situation. I think I’d email the owner, so there’s a paper trail, one last time and let him know that he knows this is ********, $2000+ in charges and nothing was actually done, that you need to come to an equitable amount that’s fair or you are going to trash his company on every review site and Facebook. After that it’s up to the credit card company. If that doesn’t work, I think I’d file a claim in small claims court.

Users who are viewing this thread