What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Denver May Draft an RB in Rounds 1-3 (1 Viewer)

fatness

Footballguy
Denver Post article

.............The Broncos probably will select a running back during the April 29-30 draft, and likely in the first three rounds. They have a recent tradition of drafting a running back, having selected one every year but two since Mike Shanahan took over as coach in 1995.

Denver is in the market for a tailback this year. Starting tailback Mike Anderson turns 33 in September and is facing a contract negotiation. If Anderson does not return, it leaves third-year pro Tatum Bell and free agent Ron Dayne, who will get a shot at significant playing time. The Broncos are working to retain Dayne, a former Heisman Trophy winner. Depending on what happens, Tatum Bell could be a trade candidate.

The Broncos, who have the 22nd and 29th picks in the first round of the draft, could acquire a running back during free agency. But that avenue is less sure than the draft.

Denver may not have much spending flexibility in free agency, which starts Friday. But with a flooded running back market, the Indianapolis Colts' Edgerrin James and the Baltimore Ravens' Jamal Lewis are veteran players to monitor. Both tailbacks fit the style of Denver's running game but are expected to cost more than the Broncos can spend. ......................

Last edited by a moderator:
Denver is also considering CB, S, DT, DE, LB, WR, QB, OT, OG and C in the first three rounds from what I'm hearing...

This might be crazy, but I consider the Denver to NYJ trade having a LOT of credibility, and not being just "another" rumor.

There is a quote from an article where Shanahan was talking about the cap and saying how he wanted cap room to sign a top 5 pick.

And this was weeks ago (no link, sorry).

How does this value sound?

Jets Get:

No.22

No.29

Tatum Bell

2007 1st.

Broncos Get:

No.4

John Abraham

Of course, then you have the Jets in the predicament: Do they want to trade up for a Leinart or Bush and mortgage their core team until later, or do they want to trade on and build up now with more solid talent, rather than one blue-chip player.

The latter sounds like the Patriot-esque school of thought to me.

Last edited:
This might be crazy, but I consider the Denver to NYJ trade having a LOT of credibility, and not being just "another" rumor.

There is a quote from an article where Shanahan was talking about the cap and saying how he wanted cap room to sign a top 5 pick.

Jets Get:

No.22

No.29

Tatum Bell

2007 1st.

Broncos Get:

No.4

John Abraham

Of course, then you have the Jets in the predicament:  Do they want to trade up for a Leinart or Bush and mortgage their core team until later, or do they want to trade on and build up now with more solid talent, rather than one blue-chip player.

Seriously? :unsure: This board is really putting the "fantasy" in fantasy football. Im sure Denver wants to pay out $30 mil in signing bonuses + two huge contracts rather than 2 smaller ones + Bell's tiny base salary.

Denver gives up 3 1sts and a very good, young, cheap RB for the #4 and Abraham? What motivation does Denver have to get into the top 4?

I have read the piece, but it is unclear what is the likelihod that Anderson returns to some role that has him carrying the ball? Is the desire for someone to groom, play this year or Denver's normal draft a RB pretty close to every year policy?

Denver is also considering CB, S, DT, DE, LB, WR, QB, OT, OG and C in the first three rounds from what I'm hearing...
That is what is called a SMOKE screen!!!! You know they are looking at TE! ;)

I have read the piece, but it is unclear what is the likelihod that Anderson returns to some role that has him carrying the ball? Is the desire for someone to groom, play this year or Denver's normal draft a RB pretty close to every year policy?
Anderson will be around presuming he doesnt get stupid about his contract, but will not recieve near the workload he did last season.

Why would they waste a 1-3rd rd. pick on a RB? It's almost a proven fact that ANYONE can run behind Denver's O-line. I say just pick up some undrafted schmuck.

:P

Why would they waste a 1-3rd rd. pick on a RB? It's almost a proven fact that ANYONE can run behind Denver's O-line. I say just pick up some undrafted schmuck.

:P
Q: how did denver try and accomplish BOTH of these things last year?A: by drafting a player in the 3rd that should have been undrafted! :P

:) Silly me, reading the articles in the blogger. ;)
Hey fatness,I was just kidding with you [but you knew that]. I just find these articles hilarious right now b/c these beat writers have no Earthly idea what GMs are thinking right now b/c the GMs themselves don't know. They need to formulate their draft boards, and see how free agency shakes out before they begin to fathom who they'll draft in April.

Sure, I understand and I agree. I just figured the Denver RB position generates a lot of fantasy points, and we needed something to shift the subject from the number "6" today, you know?

Nobody ever knows what Denver's going to do in the draft.

There was a caller on Sirius today asking Shannon Sharpe if Shanahan would draft a RB in the first round. Sharpe said, "Shabba da flabba way!", which I translated to mean, "No way in Hell". Sharpe kept saying that no way would Shanahan draft a RB in the first round because Shanahan is confident he can get a RB in later rounds and plug them into the Denver System and still get great results. I guess that's not to say he won't take one in rounds 2-3, but Sharpe ain't buying a R1 RB!

There was a caller on Sirius today asking Shannon Sharpe if Shanahan would draft a RB in the first round. Sharpe said, "Shabba da flabba way!", which I translated to mean, "No way in Hell". Sharpe kept saying that no way would Shanahan draft a RB in the first round because Shanahan is confident he can get a RB in later rounds and plug them into the Denver System and still get great results. I guess that's not to say he won't take one in rounds 2-3, but Sharpe ain't buying a R1 RB!
I dont think anyone is

I agree, wasting a first rounder on a RB is just that...a waste. Love or hate the Rat, he can find a RB at Burger King and turn him into a star.....except Clarett.....

Jets Get:

No.22

No.29

Tatum Bell

2007 1st.

Broncos Get:

No.4

John Abraham

Of course, then you have the Jets in the predicament: Do they want to trade up for a Leinart or Bush and mortgage their core team until later, or do they want to trade on and build up now with more solid talent, rather than one blue-chip player.

that's crazy :shock: ...is Ditka running the Bronco's draft or something?? :loco:

Jets Get:

No.22

No.29

Tatum Bell

2007 1st.

Broncos Get:

No.4

John Abraham

Of course, then you have the Jets in the predicament:  Do they want to trade up for a Leinart or Bush and mortgage their core team until later, or do they want to trade on and build up now with more solid talent, rather than one blue-chip player.

that's crazy :shock: ...is Ditka running the Bronco's draft or something?? :loco:
Yeah, that trade sounds crazyThat aside Skeletor likes to draft RBs. He will probably see if he can find a replacement for Anderson down the line - but in the first?

Seems top me that there is some depth on RB this year and a second tier guy might be right for the one-cut and gone style Denver likes.

That is unless they really think Ron Dayne can run the ball...

Users who are viewing this thread