What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Derek Smith a Charger (1 Viewer)

Rozelle

49ERS CUT DEREK SMITH by Michael David Smith

The San Francisco 49ers announced today that they cut 11-year veteran linebacker Derek Smith.

"Decisions like this are a difficult part of a great business," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "Derek has been an important member of the 49ers, and you don't make these kinds of decisions without battling the emotion that is natural when you are dealing with a player that has done so much for your organization."

The 33-year-old Smith started 14 games for the 49ers in 2007, but as the season went on it became clear that the team would build its defense around younger players, especially Rookie of the Year Patrick Willis. Nolan said that youth movement was the primary reason for today's move.

"We made the decision because we have quality linebackers who we think are the future of the 49ers," Nolan said. "Derek was a model professional during his seven seasons with the 49ers, and he influenced a lot of the younger players with his work ethic."

Although Smith, who had one season left on his contract, had said he would have preferred to play out the duration of his deal, he indicated at the end of the 2007 season that he knew he could get cut and added, "It's a business, pure and simple."

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe B Moore will finally get some love from the 49er coaches

AMEN! :goodposting:

Good riddance, DSmith. Too bad this move is 2 years too late.

No way Lawson moves inside, he's the "elephant" on this team. The SILB is either not on the roster, or Mikey Nolan realized BMoore is pretty good next to Willis and will give him a shot.

Ok, I'm sold, Lance Briggs is going to be a 9er. Bad move on their part as I don't think he'll fit their scheme, but I believe this move seals it.

I have no idea what Smith's intentions are, but doesn't he fit the mold of the kind of LB the Patriots might be interested in?

Looks like he is now a charger. What kind of value does he hold now?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/charg...1456-smith.html
By the article ... not much. The Chargers acquired him for experienced depth behind Matt Wilhelm and Stephen Cooper.I'm sure he'll compete for a starting job, however he's 33 and the Cooper and Wilhelm have experience in the system.
Agree. Smith played some WILB in San Francisco, but he's been average at best for too long to have any major impact himself. It may mean that the Chargers think highly enough of Waters and Siler that they wanted a vet to fill out the roster rather than pursuing another rookie in this draft. If they add another high draft pick, it may mean that Smith isn't a lock to make the roster, even though they've signed him early in the process.

By the article ... not much. The Chargers acquired him for experienced depth behind Matt Wilhelm and Stephen Cooper.I'm sure he'll compete for a starting job, however he's 33 and the Cooper and Wilhelm have experience in the system.
Agree. Smith played some WILB in San Francisco, but he's been average at best for too long to have any major impact himself. It may mean that the Chargers think highly enough of Waters and Siler that they wanted a vet to fill out the roster rather than pursuing another rookie in this draft. If they add another high draft pick, it may mean that Smith isn't a lock to make the roster, even though they've signed him early in the process.
Just keep in mind they don't have a 2nd or 3rd rounder in the draft. I really doubt they'll take a LB in round 1(but will concede anything is possible... guys slip in the draft all the time for no apparent reason). I think he's a lock to take Dobbins spot on the roster.IMO Smith(or Waters) beat out Wilhelm for the starting job, but SD rotates players at ILB more than they have in the past. Smith could play very, very well in part time duty imo. They've had a bunch of young guys since Godfrey/Foley left and I'm glad they went out and got a headsy vet type player to fill a limited role just like the Patriots have been doing for some time now.

I'm a big fan of Siler but I think this move means he'll be strictly a ST'er one more season. If things went as planned I'm sure SD would love Waters to be 100% over the knee injury and progress to the point he beats out Smith/Wilhelm and in '09 they had an improved Cooper/Waters duo in the middle with Wilhelm/Siler battling to back them up.

Just keep in mind they don't have a 2nd or 3rd rounder in the draft. I really doubt they'll take a LB in round 1(but will concede anything is possible... guys slip in the draft all the time for no apparent reason). I think he's a lock to take Dobbins spot on the roster.IMO Smith(or Waters) beat out Wilhelm for the starting job, but SD rotates players at ILB more than they have in the past. Smith could play very, very well in part time duty imo. They've had a bunch of young guys since Godfrey/Foley left and I'm glad they went out and got a headsy vet type player to fill a limited role just like the Patriots have been doing for some time now.

I'm a big fan of Siler but I think this move means he'll be strictly a ST'er one more season. If things went as planned I'm sure SD would love Waters to be 100% over the knee injury and progress to the point he beats out Smith/Wilhelm and in '09 they had an improved Cooper/Waters duo in the middle with Wilhelm/Siler battling to back them up.
:lmao: Thanks for the insight. I didn't know they were without those draft picks. Heard anything more about Waters progress medically or otherwise?

:mellow: Thanks for the insight. I didn't know they were without those draft picks. Heard anything more about Waters progress medically or otherwise?
No, just what I've heard from MT. MT seems sold on him. I've also seen articles where his goal is to be the next Cromartie, but really isn't that the goal of every guy coming off a rookie year slowed because of a knee injury being rehabbed?

Waters should be fully recovered. He had eight tackles in the final preseason game in 2007. He was kept inactive during the regular season, but was healthy enough to play if needed.

I think Derek Smith and Tim Dobbins will compete for the last ILB roster spot. Smith should be considered the favorite, but I wouldn't say he's a lock. Dobbins was a real disappointment last year in limited playing time, but showed some good stuff during the 2006 preseason, so I wouldn't completely count him out yet.

Waters should be fully recovered. He had eight tackles in the final preseason game in 2007. He was kept inactive during the regular season, but was healthy enough to play if needed.I think Derek Smith and Tim Dobbins will compete for the last ILB roster spot. Smith should be considered the favorite, but I wouldn't say he's a lock. Dobbins was a real disappointment last year in limited playing time, but showed some good stuff during the 2006 preseason, so I wouldn't completely count him out yet.
Do you see either displacing Cooper/Wilhelm, or are those two solid?

Waters should be fully recovered. He had eight tackles in the final preseason game in 2007. He was kept inactive during the regular season, but was healthy enough to play if needed.I think Derek Smith and Tim Dobbins will compete for the last ILB roster spot. Smith should be considered the favorite, but I wouldn't say he's a lock. Dobbins was a real disappointment last year in limited playing time, but showed some good stuff during the 2006 preseason, so I wouldn't completely count him out yet.
Do you see either displacing Cooper/Wilhelm, or are those two solid?
Cooper and Wilhelm will enter camp as the starters, and they're the favorites to end the season that way as well.Cooper played very well last year. Wilhelm had a slow start (he was injured at the beginning of the season), but played much better in the last six games. Still not great, but decent.There is a possibility that Waters could overtake Wilhelm at some point this season. I doubt it will happen in camp, though. It might be a situation like last year with Cromartie where, if Wilhelm misses time and Waters comes in and represents and upgrade to the position, he'll stay in the line-up for good.

Users who are viewing this thread