What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Detroit at Washington (1 Viewer)

pretty sure the league said last year a player can declare himself down. how is that not the case there?
"Rule 7, Section 2, Article 1 states that 'An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended: (e): when a runner is out of bounds, or declares himself down by falling to the ground, or kneeling, and making no effort to advance.' "

^^not sure how that was ruled a fumble based on the rule there
Didn't actually see the fumble until RedZone showed it - how the #### is he not down rofl?
Hochuli and the Fox officiating dude both explained that a QB diving head first isn't considered giving himself up and isn't considered down.

Foot first slide wouldn't have been a fumble.

Makes sense.
doesn't really make sense. Last year Cruzwent down w/o being touched and the above rule was cited saying he gave himself up. So slipping and falling=giving yourself up, but diving doesn't? Bad call or another bad rule that relies on the arbitrary judgment of the in-game official. Going by the rule, RGIII was down. The rule says nothing about sliding feet first or head first. I don't have RGIII in any league and I don't really care about either of these teams, but that's just a bad call according to the rule.

pretty sure the league said last year a player can declare himself down. how is that not the case there?
"Rule 7, Section 2, Article 1 states that 'An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended: (e): when a runner is out of bounds, or declares himself down by falling to the ground, or kneeling, and making no effort to advance.' "

Didn't actually see the fumble until RedZone showed it - how the #### is he not down rofl?
Hochuli and the Fox officiating dude both explained that a QB diving head first isn't considered giving himself up and isn't considered down.

Makes sense.
Makes sense? Are you suggesting he should be considered still in play while he's laying on the ground because he slid head first instead of feet first? What the #### kind of bonkers rule is that?

Makes sense.
doesn't really make sense. Last year Cruzwent down w/o being touched and the above rule was cited saying he gave himself up. So slipping and falling=giving yourself up, but diving doesn't? Bad call or another bad rule that relies on the arbitrary judgment of the in-game official. Going by the rule, RGIII was down. The rule says nothing about sliding feet first or head first. I don't have RGIII in any league and I don't really care about either of these teams, but that's just a bad call according to the rule.
I agree from the rule. Just relaying what they said.

The one thing I could see is the "making no effort to advance" part. Diving head first could certainly be considered making an effort to advance.

Makes sense.
Makes sense? Are you suggesting he should be considered still in play while he's laying on the ground because he slid head first instead of feet first? What the #### kind of bonkers rule is that?
I wouldn't see the problem with that, no.

I'm not claiming to know the rule. Just what was said about differentiating between feet first and head first.

If they view it like a player slipping and falling without being touched, and still being able to get up and run, I think it makes some sense, sure.

Makes sense.
I agree from the rule. Just relaying what they said.

The one thing I could see is the "making no effort to advance" part. Diving head first could certainly be considered making an effort to advance.
THIS. Diving forward is an attempt to advance the ball. If the ball comes out as you hit the ground diving forward, it is and always has been a fumble (assumning not touched by a defender).

Now if you lay there a second, and get up leaving the ball behind to run back to the huddle...THAT is giving yourself up similar to last years play. This is not confusing...the correct call was made.

Redskins begin their poor clock management early. After stopping the Lions on 2 short running plays to bring up 4th down, Redskins call time out. While trailing. Late in the 4th quarter.

I'm not a "they're turning into flag football" guy, but that call was just awful.

Great, clean hit there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redskins begin their poor clock management early. After stopping the Lions on 2 short running plays to bring up 4th down, Redskins call time out. While trailing. Late in the 4th quarter.
They're going to want that timeout back.

These calls... Still not sure how diving forward is an effort to progress and sliding forward is not.
It's really not that difficult to understand. That's the entire reason the foot first slide exists, to differentiate a player actively gaining extra yardage, versus a player giving themselves up and foregoing the extra yardage. When Eli fumbled the ball diving forward untouched a couple years back to end the game against the Eagles, it was also correctly ruled a fumble.

Redskins set an alltime record for most yards given up in first 3 games of a season.

Why is Haslett there?

Congrats Lions fans.

This is going to be a long season in Washington. I'd expect the coaching staff to get more defensive and surly with the press from here on out.

Users who are viewing this thread