What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Detroit Lions looking to trade Golden Tate (1 Viewer)

DarkKnightsGuru

Footballguy
News has it , Detroit is shopping him around.. that would be huge for Golladay and Jones owners.. 

Last edited by a moderator:
News has it , Detroit is shopping him around.. that would be huge for Golladay and Jones owners.. 
Golden Tate - WR - Lions

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Lions would need to be "blown away" to deal Golden Tate before the trade deadline.

Ian Rapoport added that "a few teams" have inquired about Tate. In his age-30 season, this is also Tate's contract year, and it sounds like the Lions are leaking this information to drum up trade interest with no intentions of keeping Tate in Detroit long term. If Tate were to be dealt, the Lions could turn to T.J. Jones at slot receiver between Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones.

Who makes sense as a fit? What teams need a WR, that are likely playoff contenders, and could use a possession/RAC guy?

Washington? Kansas City?

Rams?(if Kupp isn't close) Panthers?(though that might block Moore a bit)

Patriots?(makes more sense than D.Thomas anyway) Texans?(though I'd think they'd prefer a more vertical WR like D-Jax, or Sanders among guys who have been rumored) 

Washington makes the most sense in my book. If a 4th rounder would get it done, I see no reason not to. I doubt the Lions get a 3rd rounder, as Tate is a UFA at the end of the year, and the season is half over.

They will get a 4, he wont get the contract to get a 3rd, not at his age.

The Lions dont even use him, they should trade him since he is done with the team after this year. He shouldnt be talking about yac because he hasnt done much the past few weeks.

KC and Hou who are in the hunt really, he goe to either he would get a bump after a few weeks in the system. All players traded take a few weeks step back. Hyde showed it and Cooper had a bye so he will have a better chance than most players traded in season and they will make a point to feed him. Tate wont be that and he may be droppable unless he goes to either of those teams.

I’d say Cowboys, but it seems like there was some animosity between these teams & they just got Cooper.

HOU could absolutely use him. 

With Cam Meredith not really working out, putting Golden in Gold makes sense to me... Although they're pretty short on picks as it is.

I hate the Pats...but damn this guy has Pat written all over him. Short, small, quick guy. Lot of fire in his belly. Be the first to get up after a big hit and get right in his tacklers grill. Exactly like Edelman and Amendola. Except in NE he won't get flagged for it.

I hate the Pats...but damn this guy has Pat written all over him. Short, small, quick guy. Lot of fire in his belly. Be the first to get up after a big hit and get right in his tacklers grill. Exactly like Edelman and Amendola. Except in NE he won't get flagged for it.
He's exactly what they need and want. Tate has been a plus player for my Lions but this is a very Patriot thing to do which is to cut bate 2 minutes before the clock strikes 12 on a player's career. The minute Tate loses a quarter of a step, I think he's in big trouble and fades quick. Accept a third or better otherwise ride it out and keep fighting this year.

Dynasty leaguers may want to make a speculative dart throw on Brandon Powell if this happens. He's been starting to find the field and showed well in the slot during the preseason.

The Patriots also have the Lions 3rd round pick in the 2019 draft from their trade in the 2018 draft so the Lions could select Da'Shawn Hand. Seems awfully convenient for the Patriots to offer that extra pick back to get Tate if they want. Especially since the Lions will likely get a 4th round comp pick if he walks.

Agree with SayWhat? that the thread title is misleading. Teams are inquiring in on Tate's availability. The Lions aren't actively trying to trade or dump him off. 

Trading Tate would really hurt the Lions WR situation and be taking a step back. I'm hoping he stays put and the Lions find a way to re-sign him in the off-season. Losing M Jones or Galloday wouldn't hurt the Lions WR situation as bad, they're similar players. Not that either is going anywhere and it's best when all 3 of them are on the field together. The Lions don't have anyone close to Tate's ability to play the slot. It'd hurt them in the long run to lose him.

Agree with SayWhat? that the thread title is misleading. Teams are inquiring in on Tate's availability. The Lions aren't actively trying to trade or dump him off. 
For the record, the previous thread title was something like “Lions are trading Golden Tate.”  It’s since been changed and IMO is fine now.

Thinking about this trade more, I think a sneaky winner could be Kerryon Johnson. Lions have shown signs of wanting to be a more run first team, dealing Tate certainly seems like another step toward that. 

Thinking about this trade more, I think a sneaky winner could be Kerryon Johnson. Lions have shown signs of wanting to be a more run first team, dealing Tate certainly seems like another step toward that. 
Definitely possible. Although the lions D isn't exactly great and there will still be a lot of negative game scripts for them. Good thing for KJ is that he can contribute in the pass game as well. No matter how you slice it the deal is probably an upgrade for Kerryon. 

As a Lions fan, I don't get this trade at all.
They got a 3rd round pick for a guy who wasn't getting re-signed at season's end. They were maybe looking at a 4th or 5th rounder in 2020 in a compensatory pick if they just let him go.

Its also possible they felt Tate was making it harder to run the offense they(Patricia anyway) want to run, which is run to set up deep shots. Jones and Golladay fit that perfectly, Tate not so much. Maybe the coaches were annoyed that Tate was typically Stafford's 1st look.

Those are my theories anyway.

As a Lions fan, I don't get this trade at all.
You have to go 7-2 to make playoffs with a brutal upcoming schedule.  You won't do that with Tate or not.  Get a 3rd instead of nothing at seasons end.  Develop your stud young WR.  Great trade.

They got a 3rd round pick for a guy who wasn't getting re-signed at season's end. They were maybe looking at a 4th or 5th rounder in 2020 in a compensatory pick if they just let him go.

Its also possible they felt Tate was making it harder to run the offense they(Patricia anyway) want to run, which is run to set up deep shots. Jones and Golladay fit that perfectly, Tate not so much. Maybe the coaches were annoyed that Tate was typically Stafford's 1st look.

Those are my theories anyway.
I get they get a better draft pick, but they have a legit shot to win the division this year. Now that task seems harder. Is that change in draft pick worth that? 

I guess if this were Belichick, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. But its the Lions.

You have to go 7-2 to make playoffs with a brutal upcoming schedule.  You won't do that with Tate or not.  Get a 3rd instead of nothing at seasons end.  Develop your stud young WR.  Great trade.
There's a distinct possibility that 9-7 wins the North this year and the Lions have been dominant in the division lately. 

They have 5 division games left, plus the Bills, Cards, Panthers at home. This division is there for the taking.

There's a distinct possibility that 9-7 wins the North this year and the Lions have been dominant in the division lately. 

They have 5 division games left, plus the Bills, Cards, Panthers at home. This division is there for the taking.
Division splits are what are most likely.  Would be shocked if they beat any of those 3 teams twice.  If anything losing both is more likely.

So given the split assumption, they'd have to go 4-0 vs the Panthers, Rams, Bills, and Cardinals, JUST to get to 9-7. 

No.

Hellz yea! (Golladay owner)
Fellow Golladay owner here, and liking this news as well. Tate was definitely the guy getting more of the looks, so good bump in targets and opportunity (and value in PPR) for Golladay. 

I will temper this by saying that Jones also sees the similar bump, and the Lions were looking like they wanted to get their TE as well as Kerryon involved more in the passing game as well.

As for Tate, he's been a super solid possession receiver on a few teams, now, and should, IMHO, compliment Jeffrey nicely in that role. Jeffrey, Ertz, and the rest of the receivers will share targets, but can't divine who will be the biggest winner/loser on Philly. I would have said Ertz as those intermediate and over the middle routes are Tate's bread and butter, but both Ertz and Tate are great targets there, and in the RZ.

We'll see....

Fellow Golladay owner here, and liking this news as well. Tate was definitely the guy getting more of the looks, so good bump in targets and opportunity (and value in PPR) for Golladay. 

I will temper this by saying that Jones also sees the similar bump, and the Lions were looking like they wanted to get their TE as well as Kerryon involved more in the passing game as well.

As for Tate, he's been a super solid possession receiver on a few teams, now, and should, IMHO, compliment Jeffrey nicely in that role. Jeffrey, Ertz, and the rest of the receivers will share targets, but can't divine who will be the biggest winner/loser on Philly. I would have said Ertz as those intermediate and over the middle routes are Tate's bread and butter, but both Ertz and Tate are great targets there, and in the RZ.

We'll see....
As a Golladay owner what would it take to pry him away from you if you needed a Rb, I'm in a keep three 1/2 point Dynasty league and was just about to offer a trade for him. I have Kamara, Zeke, J. White and Carson. I only need to start one Rb. Curious as to where this moves Golladay on the rankings?

Users who are viewing this thread