What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DETROIT TIGERS OFFICIAL: We are decent!!!! (1 Viewer)

Is ERod ever coming back?  Any word?
Apparently he's not been communicating with the team. Is that more an E Rod thing or Tigers? :shrug:

I can't imagine we'll get much for Grossman, but any likelihood we get something useful for Fulmer?

Apparently he's not been communicating with the team. Is that more an E Rod thing or Tigers? :shrug:

I can't imagine we'll get much for Grossman, but any likelihood we get something useful for Fulmer?
They quit paying E Rod because he went totally MIA. He might just end up a FA.

I think Soto has the most outside value, but then someone like Fulmer or Chafin would become the closer.

I think they will end up not buying or selling to any major degree.

I think Soto has the most outside value, but then someone like Fulmer or Chafin would become the closer.

Fulmer is a UFA. That's why he'd be the most identical one to move. Although him being a rental will suppress his price.

Tigers are stuck in no-mans land.

Greene looks like he is going to be a solid MLB player. Tork looks totally lost at the plate.  Probably needed at least another half season at AAA.  If they brought him up now there would have been much less pressure to produce now that season is over.

Tiger outfielders are like a bunch over overripe bananas, might find one good one in the bunch.

Tigers are stuck in no-mans land.

Greene looks like he is going to be a solid MLB player. Tork looks totally lost at the plate.  Probably needed at least another half season at AAA.  If they brought him up now there would have been much less pressure to produce now that season is over.

Tiger outfielders are like a bunch over overripe bananas, might find one good one in the bunch.
What's happening with Tork is exactly why I'm usually side eyed when an organization calls up a prospect with such limited upper minors experience. The Royals were raked through the coals about waiting so long to call up Pasquantino, but I think it was the right thing to do. Every prospect is different and not that it matters, but it takes an exceptional case for me to endorse an early call up. 

That said, while he's been below replacement value I think Tork seems like the type that will benefit from this early exposure. He's had some painful stretches and has been horrendous v off speed, but his periphs indicate he's due for positive regression and whether true or not Hinch's comments about him not pressing align with what he's said too. Unlike Meadows I'm cautiously optimistic about him on the other side of the ASB. 

Amazing if you think about the "What ifs"  and all the wasted $$$$$

Justin Verlander (14-3) leads the Major Leagues with 14 wins, and his 1.81 ERA ranks second in the Majors behind Shane McClanahan of the Rays (1.76), thanks to the one run allowed. Verlander is 6-0 with a 0.86 ERA and 0.84 WHIP in his last six starts and picked up his 240th career win. 

What if Tigers kept Verlander, Sherzer and Robbie Ray and built the staff around them.  JV and Max are still arguably the best starters in the games 6 years later. Ray turned into a solid starter.

From what I read a long time ago Tigers could have kept Max for 25 million more over the life of his contract. They offered 145, 170 would have got it done.

Let Miggy walk after his deal was up in 2017.  Extended him too early.  Great seasons but experts warned his body type would not hold up and they were correct.  Miggy has not had a quality season in 5-6 years.

Let Victor walk.  They were bidding against themselves. If they were going to spend that amount keep JD.

Wasted a 100 million on Zimmerman to offset Max and he was a total bust.

So the Tigers return for two HOF pitchers JV, Max, also JD and David Price was basically nothing. The return for those type of players should have nettet a solid group of young players who are part of the core of the team.

A tidbit I heard yesterday.  Not that I want him now but Carlos Correa is going to opt out of his deal at years end and test the market again, and Baez has decided he likes Detroit and will opt in to stay.

Heard AJ Hinch on the radio early in the week and he sounded like a beaten man.  Hinch is always so positive and upbeat but not this time.  Would be very surprised if Hinch does not opt out at years end as well as this team is going to have to rebuild the rebuild.

Any other moves to add in here?

Amazing if you think about the "What ifs"  and all the wasted $$$$$

Justin Verlander (14-3) leads the Major Leagues with 14 wins, and his 1.81 ERA ranks second in the Majors behind Shane McClanahan of the Rays (1.76), thanks to the one run allowed. Verlander is 6-0 with a 0.86 ERA and 0.84 WHIP in his last six starts and picked up his 240th career win. 

What if Tigers kept Verlander, Sherzer and Robbie Ray and built the staff around them.  JV and Max are still arguably the best starters in the games 6 years later. Ray turned into a solid starter.

From what I read a long time ago Tigers could have kept Max for 25 million more over the life of his contract. They offered 145, 170 would have got it done.

Let Miggy walk after his deal was up in 2017.  Extended him too early.  Great seasons but experts warned his body type would not hold up and they were correct.  Miggy has not had a quality season in 5-6 years.

Let Victor walk.  They were bidding against themselves. If they were going to spend that amount keep JD.

Wasted a 100 million on Zimmerman to offset Max and he was a total bust.

So the Tigers return for two HOF pitchers JV, Max, also JD and David Price was basically nothing. The return for those type of players should have nettet a solid group of young players who are part of the core of the team.

A tidbit I heard yesterday.  Not that I want him now but Carlos Correa is going to opt out of his deal at years end and test the market again, and Baez has decided he likes Detroit and will opt in to stay.

Heard AJ Hinch on the radio early in the week and he sounded like a beaten man.  Hinch is always so positive and upbeat but not this time.  Would be very surprised if Hinch does not opt out at years end as well as this team is going to have to rebuild the rebuild.

Any other moves to add in here?
Hindsight is 20/20. If we could have a do over the Suarez trade was the worst. He’s not a superstar but he hits a lot of homers and plays SS and 3B. 

I said then, Scherzer East top priority. He would have stayed for the right money. 

The Verlander deal looks awful on every level. They didn’t get Kyle Tucker, who should have been the only player they cared about, and helped Houston pay JVs salary. 

Trying to put out a decent hitting lineup on this team is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

I am so missing watching decent MLB games in Detroit. 81-81 is a pipe dream right now.

I used to have the TV on pretty much every night with the Tiger game on. Even if I was not watching the game, it was in the background, and I checked in now and then and watched the last couple of innings. I have watched a total of about 30 innings all season, and have not been to one home game when I used to go to 10-15 a season.

The Robbie Grossman comments about Atlanta’s analytics fixing his swing are troublesome. Although this function falls on the GM, Hinch is responsible for the on the field product. So if he didn’t have the resources, and was afraid to rock the boat, that’s bad. What would be exponentially worse is that he didn’t recognize the shortfall.

The Robbie Grossman comments about Atlanta’s analytics fixing his swing are troublesome. Although this function falls on the GM, Hinch is responsible for the on the field product. So if he didn’t have the resources, and was afraid to rock the boat, that’s bad. What would be exponentially worse is that he didn’t recognize the shortfall.

They are troublesome but Grossman is a journeyman OF. Grossman has run into a couple in for the Braves but was hitting 238 for Detroit and now is hitting 237 for the Braves.

In 8 MLB seasons before Detroit Robbie averaged around 7 HRs a season with a career high of 11 before hitting 23 with the Tigers last year, so a regression was likely in order.

Last edited:
Well thank god that's over. Glad they lost the last 3, no need for them to be celebrating anything this off season. 😾

I like the Tigers selling Soto at peak value for a couple of position players. They have a lot of PAs to fill this year with Candelario, Reyes, Barnhart and both Castros gone. Vierling and Maton aren't going to be stars but neither were the other guys.

I like the Tigers selling Soto at peak value for a couple of position players. They have a lot of PAs to fill this year with Candelario, Reyes, Barnhart and both Castros gone. Vierling and Maton aren't going to be stars but neither were the other guys.

it's probably fair and a decent move by the Tigers, but the Phillies get a strong bullpen arm for a couple have rich man's 4A players and their number 21 prospect. I think it was a good deal for the Phils.

it's probably fair and a decent move by the Tigers, but the Phillies get a strong bullpen arm for a couple have rich man's 4A players and their number 21 prospect. I think it was a good deal for the Phils.

The regulars in this thread have seen a lot more Gregory Soto than I have but he certainly throws hard and has been durable. You'll have to live with the walks though.

He's in his first arbitration year and will get more expensive from here on out. Unless Soto's command miraculously improved this year, I don't think Detroit would get a top prospect for him at the trade deadline. There's little reason for a team in the Tigers' predicament to pay for Saves right now and they have a lot of holes to fill at the big league level.

2023 Tigers can be summed up in 3 short items:

Cabrera retirement tour
Hope the prospects/young players improve
Bottom 5 team in the game, 66-96

2023 Tigers can be summed up in 3 short items:

Cabrera retirement tour
Hope the prospects/young players improve
Bottom 5 team in the game, 66-96
It can be summed up in one word: Apathy. There is less interest in the Tigers at the start of a season in my lifetime and I'm 62 years old.

Great to see big games yesterday from both Greene and Tork. Quite surprised they won the first 2 in Houston after that start in TB.

Watching Baez swing at pitches 2 feet over his head, and balls that bounce a foot in front of plate is frustrating.

Watching Baez swing at pitches 2 feet over his head, and balls that bounce a foot in front of plate is frustrating.
Not as frustrating as that stupid contract Avila gave him.

Could not give Baez away now. Do you think he will opt out? :wink:

If I was the new gm I would try to make him. Play him as little as possible and see if he opts at the end the year. I doubt it works, but what is there to lose? There isn't a difference in a few extra loses this year if you miss out on him getting hot.

If I was the new gm I would try to make him. Play him as little as possible and see if he opts at the end the year. I doubt it works, but what is there to lose? There isn't a difference in a few extra loses this year if you miss out on him getting hot.

A few extra losses? They might have a few more wins if he sits.

Well after this season Baez will still be owed 96 million for the next 4 seasons. No way he get anywhere close to that if he opts out, he might only get league minimum if any.

Right now he is one of the worst players in MLB. Baez is the worst at swinging at pitches out of the zone.

Well after this season Baez will still be owed 96 million for the next 4 seasons. No way he get anywhere close to that if he opts out, he might only get league minimum if any.

Right now he is one of the worst players in MLB. Baez is the worst at swinging at pitches out of the zone.

All fair points, but this is a hail Mary. Maybe he wants to play more than the money.

All fair points, but this is a hail Mary. Maybe he wants to play more than the money.

Hey..he has 2 hits tonight!

I know he just had the game tying hit, but I'm starting to lose faith in Tork. Think he just may be a bust.

I know he just had the game tying hit, but I'm starting to lose faith in Tork. Think he just may be a bust.

Needed to be in AAA all of last season. Sad thing is his swing looks great, just does not make contact enough.
They probably rushed him up and then didn't send him back down fast enough. The worst run franchises have a way of screwing up even the highest rated prospects.

Needed to be in AAA all of last season. Sad thing is his swing looks great, just does not make contact enough.
They probably rushed him up and then didn't send him back down fast enough. The worst run franchises have a way of screwing up even the highest rated prospects.

Also if he does pan out Tigers wasted a year of being under team control.

Users who are viewing this thread