What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DEVY] 2021 NFL Draft Prospects (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Here are just a few.  Feel free to add to it.  Obviously some 2020 draft eligible players will wait until 2021.  I'm sure I missed some big names.  I just wanted to name a few and get it on the forum.  It doesn't look all that deep at a glance unless some of those highly rated RBs and WRs that are eligible for the 2020 draft decide to stay in school.

Justyn Ross WR 6'4" 205 Clemson Soph

Rondale Moore WR 5'9" 180 Purdue Soph

Trevor Lawrence QB 6’6” 220 Clemson Soph

Ja'Marr Chase WR 6'1" 205 LSU Soph

Jaylen Waddle WR 6'1” 182 Alabama Soph

Zamir White RB 6'0 215 Georgia Redshirt Fresh

Chuba Hubbard RB 6'1" 207 Oklahoma St. Soph

Jatavious Whitlow RB 5'11" 210 Auburn Soph

Kennedy Brooks RB 5'10" 216 Oklahoma Soph

Sage Surratt WR 6'2" 220 Wake Forest Soph

Pat Freiermuth TE 6'5" 256 Penn St. Soph

Brevin Jordan TE 6'3" 245 Miami Soph

Jermer Jefferson RB 5'10" 214 Oregon St. Soph

Adrian Martinez QB 6'2" 225 Nebraska Soph

Justin Fields QB 6'3" 223 Ohio St. Soph

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice!  Let's fire it up.  This class is super deep at WR it appears. 

A few 2021 prospects I really want:

Zamir White - RB - Georgia 

Seth Williams - WR - Auburn

Rashaad Bateman - WR - Minnesota

Also I believe Chuba is 2020 eligible.  I think he goes pro this offseason. 

Nice!  Let's fire it up.  This class is super deep at WR it appears. 

A few 2021 prospects I really want:

Zamir White - RB - Georgia 

Seth Williams - WR - Auburn

Rashaad Bateman - WR - Minnesota

Also I believe Chuba is 2020 eligible.  I think he goes pro this offseason. 
White is a freshman.  I don’t think he is eligible until 2022. How is Chuba eligible in 2020 if he’s a sophomore?  Did he redshirt?

White is a freshman.  I don’t think he is eligible until 2022. How is Chuba eligible in 2020 if he’s a sophomore?  Did he redshirt?
Zamir graduated high school the same year as Trevor and Fields.  He was a 5 star up there with those two. 

Chuba redshirted freshman year, he's a redshirt Soph l believe. 

JohnnyU said:
Chase or Waddle?  Chase for me right now.
A little early for this one, Waddle has the most talented WRs in all of college football in front of him even though he's posted better numbers but based off of what I believe will be the case a year from now..................Waddle for me. I already have three 2021 1s and 2s but I'm not that crazy about it over all. It looks like its going to be top heavy but no one has really declared or said they were staying in school so I'll wait til after the 2020 declarations. 

Great list so far though.

Tex 

A little early for this one, Waddle has the most talented WRs in all of college football in front of him even though he's posted better numbers but based off of what I believe will be the case a year from now..................Waddle for me. I already have three 2021 1s and 2s but I'm not that crazy about it over all. It looks like its going to be top heavy but no one has really declared or said they were staying in school so I'll wait til after the 2020 declarations. 

Great list so far though.

Tex 
In one devy league I made a trade yesterday where I acquired Zamir White (eligible in 2021 draft) and a 2020 1st rd pick (can be either rookie or future devy prospect) and gave N'Keal Harry and a 2020 2nd rd pick.

Chase is my top ranked player for 2021. Probably a minority opinion, but he would be number one guy in 2020 if eligible. Great hands, tough competitor and a game-breaker. I really like him.

I really like Whitlow as well. He has been hurt a bunch this year, but he's a man among boys when healthy. He's not a flashy type so he could drop with draftniks. I will be all over that.

Chase is my top ranked player for 2021. Probably a minority opinion, but he would be number one guy in 2020 if eligible. Great hands, tough competitor and a game-breaker. I really like him.

I really like Whitlow as well. He has been hurt a bunch this year, but he's a man among boys when healthy. He's not a flashy type so he could drop with draftniks. I will be all over that.
I like him as well.  I am considering him and Zamir White at 1.01 in one league where I traded for the pick.  Of course this could change.

This is a flaming hot take.

Chase is nowhere even close to being number 1 in 2020 if he were eligible.  In fact, he probably wouldn't crack the top 10 WRs for 2020. 

Hes not even in the same stratosphere as Jeudy or Lamb.  Nowhere even remotely close to that. Ruggs, Higgins, Shenault, and Reagor are also probably pretty far ahead of him.  After that you an make a case. 

He's not even close to number 1 in his own 2021 class. Moore and Ross by a mile. 

This is a flaming hot take.

Chase is nowhere even close to being number 1 in 2020 if he were eligible.  In fact, he probably wouldn't crack the top 10 WRs for 2020. 

Hes not even in the same stratosphere as Jeudy or Lamb.  Nowhere even remotely close to that. Ruggs, Higgins, Shenault, and Reagor are also probably pretty far ahead of him.  After that you an make a case. 

He's not even close to number 1 in his own 2021 class. Moore and Ross by a mile. 
Ruggs is overrated.  I think you overstate Higgins, Shenault and Reagor when comparing what Chase may be valued at in 2021.  He's definitely on the upswing.  Having said that, I believe Chase was a 4 star recruit, not a 5 star.

OK... It's Devy guys so a lot could change, but just a quick look at DHH they have 9 2020 WRs ahead of Chase. 
Of course these guys could be right or wrong; I don't really pay attention to lists like that. I've watched every LSU game this year and Chase has been dominant. Dominant may even be an understatement. Chase: 57/1,136/13/19.6. And Burrow spreads it around. College production means a lot to me when I do my evaluations. Also, he will have just turned 21 when drafted in 2021 so that's very appealing as well.

Ruggs is overrated.  I think you overstate Higgins, Shenault and Reagor when comparing what Chase may be valued at in 2021.  He's definitely on the upswing.  Having said that, I believe Chase was a 4 star recruit, not a 5 star.
Ruggs is going to run a 4.2x 40 at the combine and get drafted in the first round. 

Higgins is going to climb too. 

Reagor is also going to post insane speed and athletic measurables.

Health could hold Shenault back. 

Ruggs is going to run a 4.2x 40 at the combine and get drafted in the first round. 

Higgins is going to climb too. 

Reagor is also going to post insane speed and athletic measurables.

Health could hold Shenault back. 
Always easy for fantasy guys to think upcoming prospects are better than those another year into the future.

Always easy for fantasy guys to think upcoming prospects are better than those another year into the future.
Isn't it the other way around?  The rookie fever effect? 

In any case, I predict those players to rise based on their projected combine workouts and projected draft stock. 

What is the story with Zamir? I look at box scores and one week he has a couple of carries, the next week none. Just easing him back and getting him ready to carry the load next year?

What is the story with Zamir? I look at box scores and one week he has a couple of carries, the next week none. Just easing him back and getting him ready to carry the load next year?
They kind of have this other guy.... :)

Kidding aside, I think they are just easing him back in.  They have a decent senior backup to spell Swift so they are probably taking it easy with White. 

JohnnyU said:
Chase or Waddle?  Chase for me right now.
Rondale Moore for me.  He might be better than all the 2020 prospects.  He's certainly a better prospect IMO than all but Jeudy and Lamb. 

I like Chase better than Waddle.  Chase is right there with Williams and Bateman for me. 

My biggest problem with Chase is that I think his athletic measurable are not great for his size.  If he runs a 4.55 or 4.6 at the combine he is going to fall in the NFL draft. 

Rondale Moore for me.  He might be better than all the 2020 prospects.  He's certainly a better prospect IMO than all but Jeudy and Lamb. 

I like Chase better than Waddle.  Chase is right there with Williams and Bateman for me. 

My biggest problem with Chase is that I think his athletic measurable are not great for his size.  If he runs a 4.55 or 4.6 at the combine he is going to fall in the NFL draft. 
Isn't Moore small?  I know a lot of very good small WRs, but it is a negative in most people's mind.

Isn't Moore small?  I know a lot of very good small WRs, but it is a negative in most people's mind.
Oh yeah, he is tiny.  He's going to break the mold though IMO.  His skill and athleticism are a pretty insane combo. 

I think the NFL is moving away from bigger receivers now that the rules have changed.  I think in the past you had to be big to survive the hits you took making contested catches.  That's a penalty now. 

You can still be big, that's still good, but you have to be able to get separation first and foremost.  Big guys who can separate and have elite athletic profiles like Tee Higgins and Justin Ross should still be prototypes. 

Oh yeah, he is tiny.  He's going to break the mold though IMO.  His skill and athleticism are a pretty insane combo. 

I think the NFL is moving away from bigger receivers now that the rules have changed.  I think in the past you had to be big to survive the hits you took making contested catches.  That's a penalty now. 

You can still be big, that's still good, but you have to be able to get separation first and foremost.  Big guys who can separate and have elite athletic profiles like Tee Higgins and Justin Ross should still be prototypes. 
I think Justyn Ross will be very good, perhaps even a stud.    Higgins will probably be a #2.  He ran a 4.75 40 in HS, but I'm sure he's improved that now).  He needs to improve his hand work getting off the LOS.   One thing tiny guys like Moore has to do, other than have great speed,  is run great routes and have great hands..  If they don 't, then they are just another speed guy that makes the occasional big play and can't be trusted in fantasy.

I think Justyn Ross will be very good, perhaps even a stud.    Higgins will probably be a #2.  He ran a 4.75 40 in HS, but I'm sure he's improved that now).  He needs to improve his hand work getting off the LOS.   One thing tiny guys like Moore has to do, other than have great speed,  is run great routes and have great hands..  If they don 't, then they are just another speed guy that makes the occasional big play and can't be trusted in fantasy.
Totally agree with this.  Higgins NFL draft capital is probably going to depend heavily on his combine metrics and he has other things to work on. 

I think you described Moore pretty well there, he's that type of player.  More than a burner.  He's super elusive too, good hands, great routes, did it as a freshman... 

Hasn't Zamir White torn his ACL twice?  Would that make you pause at the top of a devy draft?  Would you consider Waddle or Chase instead ?  Considering that Lawrence,  Ross, Moore and some other top 2021 devy picks are already on a roster.

He will get dinged if he runs 4.6, but he appears very dynamic to me
I'm coming around a bit more, mostly because in seeing more warts in other players, but I'm keeping an open mind. 

I still have concerns that guys like Waddle with their elite projected athletic measurables will move up draft boards ahead of him when we get closer to 2021 draft time.  Waddle ran a 4.37 coming out of HS.  Chase ran a 4.67.  Players get faster, but I don't think Chase is going to go from 4.67 to 4.4x type of speed. 

I also get a bit wary about fast rising WR who are tied to an elite QB who we were not crazy for before having great college stats.  I know college stats are important, but context matters a lot too. 

Clemson junior WR Amari Rodgers has announced that he will be returning to school for his senior season in 2020.

Earlier in the season Rodgers (5'10/210) returned from a torn ACL after only six months of recovery time. He stands to boost his draft stock with a healthy 2020 and specifically cited the strength of this year's wide receiver class as a factor in his decision to stay. Rodgers caught 27 passes for 380 yards and four touchdowns in an injury-shortened season. The Tigers upcoming playoff game against Ohio State December 28th will be his primary focus now that his decision to return has been made.

SOURCE: The Clemson Insider

Dec 17, 2019, 7:33 PM ET

I'm coming around a bit more, mostly because in seeing more warts in other players, but I'm keeping an open mind. 

I still have concerns that guys like Waddle with their elite projected athletic measurables will move up draft boards ahead of him when we get closer to 2021 draft time.  Waddle ran a 4.37 coming out of HS.  Chase ran a 4.67.  Players get faster, but I don't think Chase is going to go from 4.67 to 4.4x type of speed. 

I also get a bit wary about fast rising WR who are tied to an elite QB who we were not crazy for before having great college stats.  I know college stats are important, but context matters a lot too. 
If he was a 5'10' jitterbug that came out of nowhere I would be more skeptical.  I like the way he plays.  He seems to have all the attributes of a top tier WR.  One can only go on what we see.  I do believe however that I would be more skeptical because of LSU's offense rather than coming out of nowhere, because after all, last year he was a Freshman.  How much are you really expecting from a Freshman at a big name school?  Having said that, he was a 4 star recruit, not a 5 star recruit, and I would be more skeptical if he were a 3 star recruit having the type of year he had.

Houston redshirt junior WR Marquez Stevenson announced on Tuesday that he will return to school for his senior season.

Stevenson (6'0/190) announcing that he'll be back for his redshirt senior season is big news for the Houston program. The speedy wide receiver caught 52 passes for 907 yards and nine touchdowns this season, and while those numbers aren't as good as what he produced in 2018 it's understandable why he wasn't as productive. QB D'Eriq King redshirted this season, and the resulting instability at quarterback did no one any favors. As a redshirt sophomore Stevenson caught 75 passes for 1,019 yards and nine touchdown while also rushing for 126 yards and two scores on 14 carries. He'll be a key target for King in 2020.

SOURCE: Marquez Stevenson on Twitter

Dec 18, 2019, 3:13 PM ET

If he was a 5'10' jitterbug that came out of nowhere I would be more skeptical.  I like the way he plays.  He seems to have all the attributes of a top tier WR.  One can only go on what we see.  I do believe however that I would be more skeptical because of LSU's offense rather than coming out of nowhere, because after all, last year he was a Freshman.  How much are you really expecting from a Freshman at a big name school?  Having said that, he was a 4 star recruit, not a 5 star recruit, and I would be more skeptical if he were a 3 star recruit having the type of year he had.
Yeah, I try to be less reactionary than the overall fantasy community.   Recency bias is out of control with fantasy football.  It's a strange balance between being overly bayesian and mired in take lock. 

Sometimes a player has a few good games or one good season and suddenly they are a totally different player with a totally different talent profile than they were last year. 

Right now I am laughing at sentiment in the community that CMC is the obvious 1.01.  A year ago 0 percent of the community had that opinion.  Now it's basically 99 percent. What changed in terms of those players' talent level?  Nothing.  CMC had better stats largely because he was healthy.  We went from Saquon is obviously better to CMC is obviously better based only on fantasy stats for this year, which we all know fluctuates every year.  Was our original talent evaluation just wrong, or are we overvaluing CMCs recent production? 

Big Moore fan.  He's electric and will be as such in the NFL.  He's about the same size as Tyreek Hill.  4.33 40, 42-inch vert and yeah... watch this....

And... :blackdot:  for my devy league.  :)

Yeah, I try to be less reactionary than the overall fantasy community.   Recency bias is out of control with fantasy football.  It's a strange balance between being overly bayesian and mired in take lock. 

Sometimes a player has a few good games or one good season and suddenly they are a totally different player with a totally different talent profile than they were last year. 

Right now I am laughing at sentiment in the community that CMC is the obvious 1.01.  A year ago 0 percent of the community had that opinion.  Now it's basically 99 percent. What changed in terms of those players' talent level?  Nothing.  CMC had better stats largely because he was healthy.  We went from Saquon is obviously better to CMC is obviously better based only on fantasy stats for this year, which we all know fluctuates every year.  Was our original talent evaluation just wrong, or are we overvaluing CMCs recent production? 
With CMC it's about utilization and that can change from year to year.  As for Chase, he was just a freshman last year, so we didn't expect much then.  He blossomed in his sophomore year with a great offense and a QB that was unreal.  Yes, supporting cast does play a role most of the time and we saw what Chase is capable of.  Is it sustainable, I don't know, but we will find out next year with a new QB and a different WR on the other side.  Jefferson will turn pro this year.  From a prospect perspective Chase has the look of a top tier WR.  I love what he brings to the table.  Having said that, future success has nothing to do with past success.  At least Chase is just a sophomore and if he were a senior without past success I would be skeptical.  Right now I am not because I don't really have any reason to be.

With CMC it's about utilization and that can change from year to year.  As for Chase, he was just a freshman last year, so we didn't expect much then.  He blossomed in his sophomore year with a great offense and a QB that was unreal.  Yes, supporting cast does play a role most of the time and we saw what Chase is capable of.  Is it sustainable, I don't know, but we will find out next year with a new QB and a different WR on the other side.  Jefferson will turn pro this year.  From a prospect perspective Chase has the look of a top tier WR.  I love what he brings to the table.  Having said that, future success has nothing to do with past success.  At least Chase is just a sophomore and if he were a senior without past success I would be skeptical.  Right now I am not because I don't really have any reason to be.
Yes, very much agree. 

I don't doubt that he will be a decent prospect or player, I just that we are maybe taking it too far if we are putting him ahead of Rondale or a lot of the 2020 studs. 

Yes, very much agree. 

I don't doubt that he will be a decent prospect or player, I just that we are maybe taking it too far if we are putting him ahead of Rondale or a lot of the 2020 studs. 
I never did put him ahead of anyone in 2020.  This thread is about 2021 and yes, I do like him more than Rondale Moore  in 2021 draft when the smoke clears at the end of 2020.  I certainly like his size and strength better to win contested balls, strong hands, explosion.  Plus, he's not a plodder either. He looks like a dominate WR1.  Watching some videos on him shows it.  He's got that oomph.  Of course it he's drafted by a bad team with a bad QB in 2021, I have the right to change my mind.  Destination does matter.  Moore at 5'9" scares me.  Yes, he is dynamic, but IMO Chase is the better choice for 2021.  Go and listen to this podcast.

Around the 11:15 mark in episode 35 and 10:48 in episode 32 - https://destinationdevypodcast.podbean.com/

Edited to add:  Sorry, had a Rondell White (baseball), or Lendale White (Titans) brain fart.

I never did put him ahead of anyone in 2020.  This thread is about 2021 and yes, I do like him more than Rondale Moore  in 2021 draft when the smoke clears at the end of 2020.  I certainly like his size and strength better to win contested balls, strong hands, explosion.  Plus, he's not a plodder either. He looks like a dominate WR1.  Watching some videos on him shows it.  He's got that oomph.  Of course it he's drafted by a bad team with a bad QB in 2021, I have the right to change my mind.  Destination does matter.  Moore at 5'9" scares me.  Yes, he is dynamic, but IMO Chase is the better choice for 2021.  Go and listen to this podcast.

Around the 11:15 mark in episode 35 and 10:48 in episode 32 - https://destinationdevypodcast.podbean.com/

Edited to add:  Sorry, had a Rondell White (baseball), or Lendale White (Titans) brain fart.
I already listened to that.  Ray G Q is awesome :)

The true test for Chase will be next year.  If he doesn't produce like this year, which he probably won't due to losing Burrow, his value falls.  Even if it shouldn't, it will because recency bias.  So if you're buying now, I'd be expecting the smoke to clear with him losing value after not living up this this season in the post-Burrow year. 

Another thing that I think DDP is good at is pointing out that in Devy there are sell high moments to take advantage of.  For Chase, I think this is one of them.  When Waddle has a better season next year combined with the better athletic profile, I bet he rises.  Ross will have Higgins out of the way and still have Trevor.  Rondale will be healthy. 

Good discussion, I am enjoying it.  It's more fun to discuss these things where it's wide open and certainty is very low. 

I already listened to that.  Ray G Q is awesome :)

The true test for Chase will be next year.  If he doesn't produce like this year, which he probably won't due to losing Burrow, his value falls.  Even if it shouldn't, it will because recency bias.  So if you're buying now, I'd be expecting the smoke to clear with him losing value after not living up this this season in the post-Burrow year. 

Another thing that I think DDP is good at is pointing out that in Devy there are sell high moments to take advantage of.  For Chase, I think this is one of them.  When Waddle has a better season next year combined with the better profile, I bet he rises.  Ross will have Higgins out of the way and still have Trevor.  Rondale will be healthy. 

Good discussion, I am enjoying it.  It's more fun to discuss these things where it's wide open and certainty is very low. 
Yes, like I said there are many factors and you cannot predict future success based on the past.  Also, like I said, let's see how Chase fares next year with a new QB and different WR on the other side.  Jeudy's stock dropped some this year as well.  I think you have to look beyond just stats.  Chase is only a sophomore, so let's see if he builds on it.  Ross should be a stud.  Moore is dynamic, but I will almost always shy away from someone 5'9" unless I can get at great value.   I don't like taking the risk on someone like Moore with a top 3 pick.

Yes, like I said there are many factors and you cannot predict future success based on the past.  Also, like I said, let's see how Chase fares next year with a new QB and different WR on the other side.  Jeudy's stock dropped some this year as well.  I think you have to look beyond just stats.  Chase is only a sophomore, so let's see if he builds on it.  Ross should be a stud.  Moore is dynamic, but I will almost always shy away from someone 5'9" unless I can get at great value.   I don't like taking the risk on someone like Moore with a top 3 pick.
Totally agree, I think we are seeing this pretty similarly.  I was even going to mentioned a Jeudy as an example of a player whose stats dropped a bit and with it his stock, even though it shouldn't have IMO.  GMTA

Eta Jalen Reagor is the extreme example.  He's a stud with nothing for stats this year.  I hope his stock dropped a lot :)

Totally agree, I think we are seeing this pretty similarly.  I was even going to mentioned a Jeudy as an example of a player whose stats dropped a bit and with it his stock, even though it shouldn't have IMO.  GMTA

Eta Jalen Reagor is the extreme example.  He's a stud with nothing for stats this year.  I hope his stock dropped a lot :)
Without looking up anything to substantiate this, how does Jalen Reagor compare to Christain Kirk?

Without looking up anything to substantiate this, how does Jalen Reagor compare to Christain Kirk?
Good question.  In my opinion Reagor is more of a physical freak than Kirk.  Kirk is fast but not fast for his size.  Reagor is expected to run in the high 4.2s.

Kirk may have a bit better grade in the hands department. 

I think both are pretty good route runners. 

I think Reagor has a higher ceiling, he could be special. 

Colorado junior WR K.D. Nixon has decided to return to school instead of enter the NFL Draft.

Nixon (5'8/185) declared about a week ago that he would be entering the NFL Draft. After talks with HC Mel Tucker and others, Nixon has flipped that decision and decided to return to Boulder for his senior season. Nixon caught 35 passes for 465 yards and three touchdowns this season, in addition to being one of the team's main kick returners.

SOURCE: NBC Sports

Dec 19, 2019, 1:38 PM ET

USC sophomore WR Amon-Ra St. Brown caught nine passes for 163 yards in a 49-24 loss to Iowa on Friday in the San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl.

St. Brown was getting open early and often, and this likely would have been an all-timer if not for the injury to Kedon Slovis in the third quarter. It's still another impressive game for the 6-foot-1, 195-pound sophomore, and it puts him over the thousand-yard mark on the season. St. Brown will be back with the Trojans barring something unforeseen, and he'll likely be one of the most productive wideouts in the Pac-12 before possibly entering the draft in 2021.

Dec 27, 2019, 11:48 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread