What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dez's Digital Nomad Thread: Colombia (1 Viewer)

Yeah, that would be an instant red flag. "No lindo, I'm not interested in a fancy dinner and drinks. Let's go straight to the secks"

Right, they're likely either up to no good or a prepago. One of the recommendations if you're unsure is to tell the girl that the owner of the apartment requires you to take a picture of any visitor's ID and send it to them, then you send it to a buddy or whoever. But that hopefully acts as a deterrent if they're not legit. I also try to make friends with the porteros (security, reception staff) and tell them ahead of time if I want them to tell the girl they have to register her.

Yeah, that would be an instant red flag. "No lindo, I'm not interested in a fancy dinner and drinks. Let's go straight to the secks"

Right, they're likely either up to no good or a prepago. One of the recommendations if you're unsure is to tell the girl that the owner of the apartment requires you to take a picture of any visitor's ID and send it to them, then you send it to a buddy or whoever. But that hopefully acts as a deterrent if they're not legit. I also try to make friends with the porteros (security, reception staff) and tell them ahead of time if I want them to tell the girl they have to register her.

IIRC my hotel in Cartagena limited the number of female guests we had in our room probably to limit potential group robberies. Felt like we had to sneak girls in college dorm style.

IIRC my hotel in Cartagena limited the number of female guests we had in our room probably to limit potential group robberies. Felt like we had to sneak girls in college dorm style.

Not sure when you were in Cartagena last but these days it's almost impossible to get a guest into your room (hotel or apartment).

Not sure when you were in Cartagena last but these days it's almost impossible to get a guest into your room (hotel or apartment).

That's what I remember as well. Think my Spanish speaking friend probably tipped the security guys to let us bring guests. It was such a PIA we decided to rent a house on our next visit 2010-15 ish

That's what I remember as well. Think my Spanish speaking friend probably tipped the security guys to let us bring guests. It was such a PIA we decided to rent a house on our next visit 2010-15 ish

Yeah, the hotels were probably tough back during that time frame. But now it's almost all the apartment buildings as well. In Laguito, Bocagrande, and even in the Old City and Gethsemane.

Yeah, the hotels were probably tough back during that time frame. But now it's almost all the apartment buildings as well. In Laguito, Bocagrande, and even in the Old City and Gethsemane.

Yep. This was at a nice hotel in Old Town (Santa Clara) so I just assumed it was because it's upscale. Come to find out that's par for the course in Cartagena and I assume most tourist spots in Colombia. First time ever dealing with rules like that.

So how do you get around that Dez? You just get to know your doorman?

Yep. This was at a nice hotel in Old Town (Santa Clara) so I just assumed it was because it's upscale. Come to find out that's par for the course in Cartagena and I assume most tourist spots in Colombia. First time ever dealing with rules like that.

Ahh I should have figured, I forgot who I was talking to lol :p

So how do you get around that Dez? You just get to know your doorman?

You just have to ask about the guest policy when you're looking at places in Cargagena and some parts of Medellin. The place I stayed in Cartagena a few weeks ago, the guy told me no issues with guests, but when I got there they said guests had to be registered and absolutely no guests after 10pm.

Wife just landed. Said immigration was "kilométrico".

She's hanging with her Guatemalan friend (also in Bogatá for the conference) that lives in Bergen Norway with her husband she refers to as "el vikingo". Still not sure how the Guatemalan deals with the Norwegian cold and weird affect those people have.

Getting ready to fly out tonight. Always depressing to be headed back to the :tumbleweed:, and with the new job, who knows for how long? :oldunsure::cry:

Looking forward to updates from @The Z Machine .

I remember that depression well after a stint in Brazil. Hit me almost immediately when I got off the plane in NY. Cold weather, cost of living and offdee 3 and 4s with attitude :kicksrock:

One last hurrah for ol' Dez on the trip home.

Was supposed to leave out of Bogota at 11:45pm Sunday night, and got to the airport at 9pm. Long story short, American Airlines sucks and I ended up on a Delta flight leaving at 9am Monday morning bound for Atlanta. Was sitting in the window seat of a 2-3-2 seating layout, and an older guy came and sat next to me. I'd been up all night in the airport rescheduling etc. and was looking forward to sleeping on the 5-hour flight to ATL. Everyone continued boarding and a cute Colombian girl showed up in our row and told the old guy that he was in her seat. They looked at their tickets and sure enough he was supposed to be in the middle row of 3 and she was in the seat next to me.

She sat down and even though I was tired as could be, I figured I couldn't pass up the opportunity. So I started chatting her up and it turned out she was a 33-year old engineer who likes to travel and she was on her way to DC for a week of vacation. We ended up talking the entire 5+ hour flight to ATL, exchanged numbers, and I asked her if she wanted to get something to eat at the airport. She had a 7-hour layover and I had a 4-hour layover. We went through immigration, security, etc. and ended up at Fridays for a meal. Once we finished I had about an hour left so I took her to her terminal and gate then headed to mine.

Getting ready to fly out tonight. Always depressing to be headed back to the :tumbleweed:, and with the new job, who knows for how long? :oldunsure::cry:

Looking forward to updates from @The Z Machine .

I remember that depression well after a stint in Brazil. Hit me almost immediately when I got off the plane in NY. Cold weather, cost of living and offdee 3 and 4s with attitude :kicksrock:

Every time I get on the plane to head home and start flipping through my pics. :cry:

OK I've been here in Bogotá 3 days and have 2 more. Quick thoughts:
  • I love the country as a whole. So beautiful. Beautiful mountains and scenery.
  • I like the city overall. Very lively and lots to see and do. Traffic can be nightmarish. The hills on the east side of the city are no joke.
  • I love the Colombian culture. I feel very at home here and the people are very friendly and warm.
  • Very affordable if you have dollars. You can do things here that are impossible in other places like hiring drivers and guides for a more personal tourism.
  • I feel safe here walking around. As safe as Baltimore and maybe more so because there's just so many people out and about.
  • The food and drink is delicious and affordable. Service is generally excellent.
  • The weather is Bogotá is NOT to muy liking. Cold and wet. Rains every day and if you get caught in a significant downpour you will get soaked through like you jumped into a swimming pool. This happened to my wife and she needed a hot shower back su the hotel to warm up.
  • They love the bici here. From getting around the city to mountain biking in the country to guys that look like they are training to be pro road riders. Bicyles are everywhere.
  • I noticed some good looking women but not a ton. None would give me the time of day i think. But then again, I'm with my wife and children and I'm 42 and my beard is showing a lot of white these days. Lacking colágeno it seems.
I would definitely recommend Colombia for a vacation. I would love to go to Medellin, Cartagena, and Cali.

Final point. It's been good for my kids (and me) to practice my Spanish and get immersed in the culture. If we could figure out a way to live in this country and earn in USD, I think my wife and I would do it.

But probably not in Bogotá because it's so damn cold.

OK I've been here in Bogotá 3 days and have 2 more. Quick thoughts:
  • I love the country as a whole. So beautiful. Beautiful mountains and scenery.
  • I like the city overall. Very lively and lots to see and do. Traffic can be nightmarish. The hills on the east side of the city are no joke.
  • I love the Colombian culture. I feel very at home here and the people are very friendly and warm.
  • Very affordable if you have dollars. You can do things here that are impossible in other places like hiring drivers and guides for a more personal tourism.
  • I feel safe here walking around. As safe as Baltimore and maybe more so because there's just so many people out and about.
  • The food and drink is delicious and affordable. Service is generally excellent.
  • The weather is Bogotá is NOT to muy liking. Cold and wet. Rains every day and if you get caught in a significant downpour you will get soaked through like you jumped into a swimming pool. This happened to my wife and she needed a hot shower back su the hotel to warm up.
  • They love the bici here. From getting around the city to mountain biking in the country to guys that look like they are training to be pro road riders. Bicyles are everywhere.
  • I noticed some good looking women but not a ton. None would give me the time of day i think. But then again, I'm with my wife and children and I'm 42 and my beard is showing a lot of white these days. Lacking colágeno it seems.
I would definitely recommend Colombia for a vacation. I would love to go to Medellin, Cartagena, and Cali.

I've been waiting for your update. I'm so glad that you've had such a great experience so far. I've been going to Colombia for so long and have such strong connections there now that I basically consider it my adopted second country. But it's almost like I've been living two separate lives and never the two shall meet, so some of my happiest and most fulfilling moments have been when I've been able to bring someone from the U.S. with me to share all the things and people there that I love so much. Not that this is exactly that, but it feels a little bit like that ❤️. Really sorry I missed you GB.

Well now that you've broken the ice, you should come back again and visit those other places. I'm sure you would love them too. Imagine, all these years and I still have never been to Cali.

:lmao:

I certainly recommend the treatment for other, not so married, guys. My ex-wife is Colombian (which is how this whole saga got started in the first place). She lives in my city in the States, as does her cousin. My ex sister-in-law was visiting for a few months and was leaving a couple of days after I got back. I went to see the ex-SIL at the cousin's house to visit before she left and when the cousin saw me she said Dez you look good, you look young, what have you been doing? I smiled and looked at the ex-SIL and she rolled her eyes and said don't say it! The cousin started laughing and said that's ok, I'm taking the colageno too (she married a younger guy) and she and I laughed while the ex-SIL made faces.

Final point. It's been good for my kids (and me) to practice my Spanish and get immersed in the culture. If we could figure out a way to live in this country and earn in USD, I think my wife and I would do it.

But probably not in Bogotá because it's so damn cold.

It was raining a lot right before I left, so I don't know if they hit a rainy spat or rainy season or what. But in general it rains every day somewhere in Bogota for sure. On the flip side though, a nice day in Bogota is really beautiful.

Hoping to hear more about your trip when you get back.

Damn... I just wrote Iike 20 mins worth of update then mishandled my phone and lost it... ugh

Did you get any of these in?

I think the only must-do in Bogota is to go check out the La Candelaria/Las Aguas/Plaza de Bolizar/Septima area. I'd say it's good at any time, but especially on the weekend. The Gold Museum is down there as well, and I found it really interesting when I went years ago. Nearby there is also the Quinta de Bolivar if you have time.

I also recommend going to Monserrate. There's a hiking trail that leads up there but best to take the cable car to the top of the mountain. But don't go on the weekend, as you could get stuck up there for longer than you want. Bring a jacket too, it's notably colder up there than in the city.

I also really recommend taking a day trip to Zipaquira to see the Salt Cathedral. I've been there twice and think it's pretty cool. On the way back you should be sure to stop in Chia to eat at Andres Carne de Res. I think that's a can't miss place as well, and fits perfectly with the Zipaquira trip. Ask for them to give you a tour of the place or to see the kitchen, so you can see just how big the whole thing really is.

I did all of those including a graffiti tour in la Candelaria and another neighborhood. All were really great.

Took mostly yellow can taxis everywhere and the 4 of us just piled in. They actually use the meter and everything!

I did all of those including a graffiti tour in la Candelaria and another neighborhood. All were really great.

Took mostly yellow can taxis everywhere and the 4 of us just piled in. They actually use the meter and everything!

You went to Zipaquira? And which Andres did you end up at? What did you think?

I know you wrote all this out already and lost it, but would like to hear about things when you have time for another attempt. :thumbup:

Yeah we went out the the salt cathedral. We asked our hotel for a driver. My wife's uncle is a professor at the University near there. We were going to stop and have a coffee with him, but he was giving exams when we were in the area. Instead we had dinner with him at a Spanish restaurant in Usaquén.

I had never met him before and my wife hadn't seen him in 25 years. He was a former leader of he lower legislative house (and dean of a law school in Caracas) in Venezuela and was going to be charged with fomenting unrest and facing 25 years in prison. He fled to Colombia via a border checkpoint in the jungle. Got asylum in Colombia 18 years ago. Long story short we didn't go to Andrés Carne de Res, but my wife did the week she was living the good life without us. She said it was crazy.

We did Montserrate, the flea market in Usaquén, and a bunch of shopping, eating, and drinking. Went to some bookstores to get Spanish language books for the kids and their friends.

Did the gold museum which was pretty amazing, but I'm a suckered for museums. Aside from the traffic at times, getting around was easy and cheap via yellow taxis and Uber.

We bought a handwoven basket that's like 36" tall and 20" on each side. They packed it into a cardboard box which weighed only 2.5kg. The issue was that DHL wanted somewhere between $300-600 to ship to the US since the box was so big. It was also too big for regular luggage in the airplane. So i had to ask the hotel staff for scissors and packing tape to reshape the box and cut ~3" off the long side. It ended up costing $80 to pay to check it on 2 flights to get it home. It's beautiful though.

Yeah we went out the the salt cathedral. We asked our hotel for a driver. My wife's uncle is a professor at the University near there. We were going to stop and have a coffee with him, but he was giving exams when we were in the area. Instead we had dinner with him at a Spanish restaurant in Usaquén.

I had never met him before and my wife hadn't seen him in 25 years. He was a former leader of he lower legislative house (and dean of a law school in Caracas) in Venezuela and was going to be charged with fomenting unrest and facing 25 years in prison. He fled to Colombia via a border checkpoint in the jungle. Got asylum in Colombia 18 years ago. Long story short we didn't go to Andrés Carne de Res, but my wife did the week she was living the good life without us. She said it was crazy.

We did Montserrate, the flea market in Usaquén, and a bunch of shopping, eating, and drinking. Went to some bookstores to get Spanish language books for the kids and their friends.

Did the gold museum which was pretty amazing, but I'm a suckered for museums. Aside from the traffic at times, getting around was easy and cheap via yellow taxis and Uber.

We bought a handwoven basket that's like 36" tall and 20" on each side. They packed it into a cardboard box which weighed only 2.5kg. The issue was that DHL wanted somewhere between $300-600 to ship to the US since the box was so big. It was also too big for regular luggage in the airplane. So i had to ask the hotel staff for scissors and packing tape to reshape the box and cut ~3" off the long side. It ended up costing $80 to pay to check it on 2 flights to get it home. It's beautiful though.

That's great! I like the market at Usaquen (and Usaquen in general). That's where I was going to stay this last time but my reservation got cancelled two weeks before my trip.

I think the Salt Cathedral is really cool. Hopefully the kids liked it. Glad you liked the gold museum as well, I think it's pretty cool.

Too bad you didn't get to try Andres, but at least your wife did. The food/restaurants in Bogota are really great and cheap, it's one of the best things about the city IMO.

Amazing story about your wife's uncle. The relationship between Colombia and Venezuela seems complicated.

Any pics?

The relationship between Colombia and Venezuela seems complicated.
It is. During the guerrilla, the only country to not close its borders with Colombia was Venezuela. During the 70s and 80s, there were a lot of low paid workers (all of the domestic help in Maracaibo where my wife is from) were Colombian.

Obviously with the economic crisis in Venezuela in the last decade, that flipped 180 degrees. Colombia had welcomed more Venezuelan refugees than any other country. They truly are sister countries with a long shared history. Culturally they are very similar although Colombians are generally more conservative and much less vulgar than Venezuelans.

The relationship between Colombia and Venezuela seems complicated.
It is. During the guerrilla, the only country to not close its borders with Colombia was Venezuela. During the 70s and 80s, there were a lot of low paid workers (all of the domestic help in Maracaibo where my wife is from) were Colombian.

Obviously with the economic crisis in Venezuela in the last decade, that flipped 180 degrees. Colombia had welcomed more Venezuelan refugees than any other country. They truly are sister countries with a long shared history. Culturally they are very similar although Colombians are generally more conservative and much less vulgar than Venezuelans.

That has always been my impression of things. They seem to me to be the same people and culture, "cousins" as it were, who have always gone back and forth and many have family in both countries.

I found out several years ago about how Venezuela was open to Colombian refugees during the violence of the 90s. It definitely puts a different perspective on the current state of affairs.

Feeling depressed. The new job is going ok, but I'm almost two months in and I'm still pretty confused and lost. They seem to expect that, so the only pressure I'm feeling is really from myself. I think I'm pressing a bit, feeling that the sooner I can get up to speed and prove myself, the sooner I'll be able to work out a travel arrangement with the boss.

I should be getting ready to be going somewhere, but instead I'm stuck for who knows how long. I'm no offdee, so the dating scene is non-existent for me here. :tumbleweed:

I had set up a trip to Puebla next (MLK) weekend to see a girl I've been talking to for 3 years. We were supposed to meet my last couple of trips to Mexico City, but she disappeared on me both times. We've been talking a little more consistently the last couple of months, but then she basically stopped talking to me the last couple of weeks. Apparently I was getting a little too flirty and she didn't like it. I contacted the girl I hooked up with in Mexico City last year and she's down, but she doesn't really excite me and I remembered there are a ton of playoff games on next week. So today I just cancelled the flight and got e-credit. Gonna try and come up with something to do Presidents' Day weekend.

Had an annual physical last month and my liver numbers were out of whack. I think it was due to some supplements, so I'm sorting that out. My cholesterol was also through the roof (245 total, 171 LDL) so now I'm trying to get started on a crappy diet that I'll hate.

Just nothing to get excited about, and nothing on the horizon.

:kicksrock::cry:

Maybe you should meet up with offdee in Vegas?

I'll be there in about 8 days myself. Won't have time for any cornhole though as it'll be work at the trade show non-stop. Have to get in and get out quickly as my wife will be in Kenya at the same time and I can't leave my MIL with the kids flying solo for too long.

Last edited:
Maybe you should meet up with offdee in Vegas?

I'll be there in about 8 days myself. Won't have time for any cornhole though as it'll be work at the trade show non-stop. Have to get in and get out quickly as my wife will be in Kenya at the same time and I can't leave my MIL with the kids flying solo for too long.

Can't see that turning out well, definitely not my scene. Don't have the look or the :style:

Fortunately the FFA Peanut Gallery is less likely to click on a thread about a digital nomad so everything here kind of flies under the radar. Not that there is anything out of line anyways.

Last edited:
Miracle of miracles, I matched with 26-year old Jay here in the States who turned out to be a real girl and I somehow ended up on a date with her last night. It's funny because I don't even know what to talk about with American women anymore. But she's a software engineer and a little bit of a nerd so we were on the same wavelength. We met for milkshakes (which she seemed to think was a cute idea since she doesn't drink) and from there we walked to a nearby bar that had a race simulator thing. We did that for a while then decided to go to Dave & Busters for food and games. By the time we said goodnight (in the parking lot) it was 5 hours after we had met up. My first dates in Colombia typically run 3-4 hours but not around here, so that was a bit out of the ordinary. I sent her a text when I got home saying I had a great time and hoped to see her again soon, she replied to tell me when she got home and said me too. Again, since I'm out of my element here in the U.S. I'm not sure what the next move is, the girls here are much harder to navigate.

I've been getting matches here and there, but they either never reply or the conversation ends after the first day. I've switched to a new opening line that seems to be getting me more initial responses, so maybe I'll be able to convert that into some small successes. Hey, I got this last date so fingers crossed.

My new boss sits in Europe but he was in town this past week. We had a 2-hour meeting yesterday and I brought up the remote work and the things we had talked about and agreed to prior to me taking the job. I told him I wasn't comfortable running off to South America before I was established and contributing, but that I wanted to know his thoughts. He said that there was no litmus test that I had to pass, and that as far as he was concerned as long as I have a good reliable internet connection wherever I am that I'm free to go. I got the green light, baby!

:pickle::hifive:

My new boss sits in Europe but he was in town this past week. We had a 2-hour meeting yesterday and I brought up the remote work and the things we had talked about and agreed to prior to me taking the job. I told him I wasn't comfortable running off to South America before I was established and contributing, but that I wanted to know his thoughts. He said that there was no litmus test that I had to pass, and that as far as he was concerned as long as I have a good reliable internet connection wherever I am that I'm free to go. I got the green light, baby!

:pickle::hifive:
Hell yeah!

Just booked a 1-week vacation to Colombia for Easter week. Delight has been writing and calling a lot, and has been super sweet with me, so I made sure to include her on the itinerary. I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but she moved back to Bogota to work and study right after I left. So I'm going to start off there for two days with her then head to the coast. Still talking here and there with Andrea in Cartagena (the chica I finally met last time after 2+ years) and she seems open to things, and several of my chicas in Barranquilla keep asking when I'm coming back, so there are a few irons in the fire. Now if I can just make it two more months...

Potential multi-week work trip to Europe in mid-April, so after I get back from those two trips hopefully I'll have a plan in place to head south again for a month or so (still need to work out the details with the boss) in the May-June timeframe.

Getting ready to leave in a week for vacation. Everything seems all set with Delight, although Andrea has been wishy washy since I started trying to get more specific with the plans. Now she says that she might be traveling that week :rolleyes:. I would be very disappointed if I didn't get to see her, she's so hot, but that's the way it goes sometimes. I should have plenty of other chicas lined up the days I'm in Barranquilla. Old faces from the thread include Mary, Taylor, and Kelly. New potential chicas are Xilena, Estef, and Carmen. I've known Carmen for 6 years, we hooked up a few times the first 3 years, but the last 3 years she's been living with a guy in Spain. She's going to be back home in Barranquilla next week for the first time since she left, and we're supposed to get together. I have no idea what she's thinking or what might happen, but I've flirted with her a little since she's had this boyfriend and she never shuts me down, she just says we should see each other again someday.

Two-week work trip to Europe is all set, leaving one week after I get back from vacation. I've had my Tinder set over there for a couple of months. It's been slow going but I did match with 34-year old Ofelia. She's separated after a 5-year relationship and is looking for fun, and says she's never been with an American and is curious. We exchanged numbers and I pulled her up on my WhatsApp. When I saw her profile pic, I noticed that she was wearing something with a company logo. Upon closer inspection I realized that it was my company's logo... :oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread