What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DFS Preseason (1 Viewer)

Nobody at FBG is doing projections for preseason games. Somebody might have an article in the works that I don't know about, but my own recommendation would be not to play during the preseason unless it's an overlay or free-roll. I could be wrong, but I suspect it's too random to gain an edge sufficient to beat the rake.

Contrary views are welcome.

Probably not, topman...

We are eyeball-deep in getting our content ready for the regular season including over 50 weekly articles, two separate blogs (DK & FD) with multiple daily updates/posts, audio podcasts, and even a weekly videocast. The amount of effort required to get that level of content off the ground is immense and will likely preclude any DFS content for the preseason.

When is the mobile DFS app coming out? I don't trust apple and their ####ty approval process with a last minute release.

When is the mobile DFS app coming out? I don't trust apple and their ####ty approval process with a last minute release.
It'll be soon...I don't have a date, but the beta-testing is complete and it was submitted to the Apple store on 8/11.

Last edited by a moderator:
The key to preseason is just reading the news and playing the guys that will likely play the longest.

Antonio Brown, AP and Roethlisberger were all around 20% owned even though it was announced ahead of time that none of them would play.

astukas said:
The key to preseason is just reading the news and playing the guys that will likely play the longest.

Antonio Brown, AP and Roethlisberger were all around 20% owned even though it was announced ahead of time that none of them would play.
Seems like a big advantage to those paying attention to what is going on in camp, position battles, guys dinged etc., contests/prize pools are pretty decent, seems like footballguys are kind of missing the boat/opportunity here...

Mycole Pruitt was a good example from the first game, lots of camp chatter, and figured to play a fair amount, but was only about 1% owned in the GPP's.

Hoping to finish off some GPP's tonight, and get the season started right. Neal, Seastrunk, James, and Allen seem like the Top RB plays, Tolzien, Garappolo at QB, WR is a crapshoot, but I like Inman, Montgomery, Enunwa, Gibson. Browns D

Seems like a big advantage to those paying attention to what is going on in camp, position battles, guys dinged etc., contests/prize pools are pretty decent, seems like footballguys are kind of missing the boat/opportunity here...

Mycole Pruitt was a good example from the first game, lots of camp chatter, and figured to play a fair amount, but was only about 1% owned in the GPP's.

Hoping to finish off some GPP's tonight, and get the season started right. Neal, Seastrunk, James, and Allen seem like the Top RB plays, Tolzien, Garappolo at QB, WR is a crapshoot, but I like Inman, Montgomery, Enunwa, Gibson. Browns D
I wouldn't say we're missing the boat...if you only knew the amount of preparation that goes on behind the scenes, you'd understand why our preseason content, in terms of selections/recommendations, is limited.

That said, Alex Miglio has you covered tonight: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=15Preseason_Week1_DFS :excited: :excited:

My advice is to not play the cash games for preseason. GPP you can take a few shots. I don't know who to pick despite knowing season long pretty well, it isn't worth the effort.

I wouldn't say we're missing the boat...if you only knew the amount of preparation that goes on behind the scenes, you'd understand why our preseason content, in terms of selections/recommendations, is limited.

That said, Alex Miglio has you covered tonight: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=15Preseason_Week1_DFS :excited: :excited:
Perfect! It's admittedly a small % of us that are looking for this, but it just seems like you have 99% of the info for other uses, having a guy or two do a write up (like Miglio's) would be a good opportunity.

Looking at some of the lineups other people submitted (starting Adrian Peterson, Antonio Brown, DeAngelo Williams...), I do think there may be enough dead money to make playing preseason games worthwhile. I think I'm changing my mind on that.

Looking at some of the lineups other people submitted (starting Adrian Peterson, Antonio Brown, DeAngelo Williams...), I do think there may be enough dead money to make playing preseason games worthwhile. I think I'm changing my mind on that.
I agree with you and I would think with the extra information you and the rest the staff have here along with the rest of the people here in the forum there should be some money to be won. It is almost like playing games with huge overlays based on some of the ownership on some these rosters. I cannot understand if these people do not watch preseason but there seems to be a lot of people playing players that are out and not scheduled to play at all in these line-ups and players they know will see little if any time.

Had this very conversation with our Steve Buzzard over text yesterday...it actually has swayed me into trying preseason for the first time ever.

You still have to know which guys are likely to play enough to be worthwhile in cash games. Even if there are people playing AP, or stars who won't play it can still be hard to win. Really depends on the percentage of people playing those stars/starters.

The info is not readily available on preseason playing time, I find it more of a hassle to look at reports to find who is playing and how much.

Its the only reason I even consider playing preseason. It was like this last year too. I thought people would be smarter this year, but based on the contests that started Sunday, thats not the case.

Thanks. Ended up paying off for me. Hope Alex does another write up for tomorrow night's games. Thanks.

I got owned in the Thur only Preseason slate. Only a few $3 entries but it is very random at least for preseason. Even GPP in regular season are kind of tough to cash because you have to get the top 15 to 20 percent.

Nobody at FBG is doing projections for preseason games. Somebody might have an article in the works that I don't know about, but my own recommendation would be not to play during the preseason unless it's an overlay or free-roll. I could be wrong, but I suspect it's too random to gain an edge sufficient to beat the rake.

Hey MT,

After 2 slates I've found that NFL preseason is very high EV, but its tough to get much action down. I understand that FBGs has a very busy schedule and puts out a phenomenal regular season product, but I'm disappointed by the lack of preseason DFS coverage. As the #1 site(imo) I think FBGs should try to stay ahead of the curve and cover any football event that either of the big 2 DFS sites offers.

I do think full projections may be asking too much, as its so much guesswork with the preseason. However, I think projecting playing time would be quite helpful, as thats a huge factor in preseason NFL DFS. On Rotogrinders "sethayates" puts out preseason NFL articles, and perhaps something along these lines could be done by FBGs:

https://rotogrinders.com/blog-posts/nfl-preseason-strategy-and-dfs-picks-774450

https://rotogrinders.com/articles/nfl-preseason-dfs-picks-thursday-august-13th-778275

A lot of preseason DFS decisions will come down to last minute LU announcements. For example, even though the play didn't work out, I thought Sammie Coates became a must-play when it was announced 30 minutes before gametime that Heyward-Bey was sitting out. So it would also be very helpful if one of the FBGs staff was active on twitter instantly posting DFS-related lineup news in the 30 minutes leading up to lineup lock.

Hey MT,

After 2 slates I've found that NFL preseason is very high EV, but its tough to get much action down. I understand that FBGs has a very busy schedule and puts out a phenomenal regular season product, but I'm disappointed by the lack of preseason DFS coverage. As the #1 site(imo) I think FBGs should try to stay ahead of the curve and cover any football event that either of the big 2 DFS sites offers.

I do think full projections may be asking too much, as its so much guesswork with the preseason. However, I think projecting playing time would be quite helpful, as thats a huge factor in preseason NFL DFS. On Rotogrinders "sethayates" puts out preseason NFL articles, and perhaps something along these lines could be done by FBGs:

https://rotogrinders.com/blog-posts/nfl-preseason-strategy-and-dfs-picks-774450

https://rotogrinders.com/articles/nfl-preseason-dfs-picks-thursday-august-13th-778275

A lot of preseason DFS decisions will come down to last minute LU announcements. For example, even though the play didn't work out, I thought Sammie Coates became a must-play when it was announced 30 minutes before gametime that Heyward-Bey was sitting out. So it would also be very helpful if one of the FBGs staff was active on twitter instantly posting DFS-related lineup news in the 30 minutes leading up to lineup lock.
A couple points to clarify:

1) As you may (or may not) know, I also contract with RotoGrinders during NFL season and consider Cal, Cam, and Dan personal friends...so I know a little about how their site operates. The links that you provided are blog posts by Seth Yates that are hosted by RG; they are not paid articles solicited by RG. In fairness, Seth has built himself a nice little following for preseason NFL and they are well-written and backed by solid research, but I don't think it's fair to say that RotoGrinders is actively publishing pre-season content and Footballguys is not.

2) Related to Point #1, any person in this forum can post their research here, if they so choose (akin to Seth's RG blog)...that is one of the many things this forum could be used for. In fact, many current FBG staff got their start by being active members in the forums, who posted quality content and were later hired for their football prowess.

3) Yesterday, I jumped in here to share Alex Miglio's short pre-season piece on players for last night's slate (Post #9)...it performed quite well. Furthermore, I shared Campanaro as a GPP sleeper on my Twitter feed last night and he came through with a 45-yard TD at 2.1% owned in the $27 GPP. On a short slate with many things happening behind the scenes, I think this somewhat discounts the notion that FBG isn't doing anything for preseason content

4) Today, I'm sharing the link to our DraftKings' blog, which is going to be an awesome place to visit, daily (pun intended), throughout the season. If you visit that site today, you will see a couple of entries from our staff with some thoughts on tonight's slate. http://crackingdraftkings.footballguys.com/

We continue to value your feedback, but also request your patience as we develop the necessary tools and infrastructure to deliver the type of daily content that you have become accustomed to from FBG in the season-long space.

Thanks for the reply, John. Yea I think FBGs is great, and I wasn't trying to compare it to RG. I definitely never said that RG is actively publishing preseason content. I was just trying to give an example of something that could be done for the preseason.

Thanks for the links to the DK blog, will check it out.

edit: Yea this is just what I was looking for, thanks again.

Is there a way to find the contests after they start so we can follow the scores for the winning lineups? I'm trying to find the ones from tonight. I think there was a $300 entry and a $27 entry that I am looking for.

Is there a way to find the contests after they start so we can follow the scores for the winning lineups? I'm trying to find the ones from tonight. I think there was a $300 entry and a $27 entry that I am looking for.
Yes on Rotogrinders main forum, SBK has a thread that has links to the main tournament contests for that day.

freeannyong said:
I found the SBK thead, but didn't see any of the preseason contests on it.
Most of the time, there is a tab on the right side of the screen that says, "LIVE"...if you click that, you should be able to follow any action in any contest on the site.

Seen this before on other sites...tonight was on draft kings. 10 minutes(ish) left to sign up for a guaranteed 63 member league, there's 32 of 63, then a few seconds later it's full.

I click and I see 63 names.

Did they fill with computer teams?

What happens there?

Again, seen this on other sites as well

Seen this before on other sites...tonight was on draft kings. 10 minutes(ish) left to sign up for a guaranteed 63 member league, there's 32 of 63, then a few seconds later it's full.

What happens there?

It's NFL...and a Friday night where a lot of people are watching football.

Tens of thousands of people likely playing...it's reasonable to concede that 31 of them had a lineup that could be imported into that particular game in that 600 seconds.

DK is a company now valued at over $1B. Do you honestly believe they would risk being shut down over 31 entries in a low-dollar contest? Not a realistic scenario at all.

What happens there?

Tens of thousands of people likely playing...it's reasonable to concede that 31 of them had a lineup that could be imported into that particular game in that 600 seconds.

DK is a company now valued at over $1B. Do you honestly believe they would risk being shut down over 31 entries in a low-dollar contest? Not a realistic scenario at all.
I don't follow. How did anything I asked risk them getting shut down?

Bri said:
John Lee said:

What happens there?

You appeared to ask whether DraftKings filled their own contest with computer teams.

Man I wish I had put into to way more cash games this week. The lineups for the Mon-Fri contests were awful, and not much better tonight. Pretty easy money out there

Bri said:
John Lee said:

What happens there?

You appeared to ask whether DraftKings filled their own contest with computer teams.
that's illegal?

What are they supposed to do? Send 30 some odd people away and say it wasn't filled?

Bri said:
John Lee said:

What happens there?

that's illegal?

What are they supposed to do? Send 30 some odd people away and say it wasn't filled?
Yes...it's illegal. And the type of thing that could get a site shut down under the UIGEA.

I enter contests all the time on FanDuel where they don't fill and I get an email stating that it didn't fill and that my entry fees for those contests have been refunded to my account.

Bri said:
John Lee said:

What happens there?

that's illegal?

Yes...it's illegal. And the type of thing that could get a site shut down under the UIGEA.

I enter contests all the time on FanDuel where they don't fill and I get an email stating that it didn't fill and that my entry fees for those contests have been refunded to my account.
Sorry, I didn't know that. In no way did I mean to be accusatory, much love for DraftKings

Bummer that the DK blog suggested Brees as a play. I should have checked other places but didn't have time
Sorry about that - but in reality, none of the four starting QBs were worth anything Sunday. None topped 8 points.

You have to like some of the names dropped there - where else would you have read about Brice Butler and Marcus Murphy?

It wasn't a sexy slate of two games. If you got 50+ points, you fared quite well. David Johnson and the Cardinals' defense were major helpers to that cause.

Yeah I ended up cashing in my 50/50s even with Brees and Robinson. David Johnson and Riveria saved my entries, which were both top plays on the blog so went a little both ways there.

Users who are viewing this thread