What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Diamonds in the Rough (1 Viewer)

Trap Play

Footballguy
Hi all.I play in a league where we can keep two players from the previous year, but have to give up a draft pick two rounds higher than where they were initially drafted this year (e.g. if LaMont Jordan was drafted with a 3rd last year, he would cost a 1st this year). UFA or waiver wire adds cost a 12th/13th round pick depending on whether one or two are kept.Unfortunately, my team is bereft of truely exceptional keepers next year, so I am looking at potential diamonds in the rough for low-risk, high-reward keepers.I would like to get some input from the shark pool on players that might be gambling on. I'l start of the conversation with a few I like:Billy VolekKurt WarnerNajeh DavenportSamkon GadoGreg JonesMark ClaytonLee EvansHeath MillerKellen WinslowAny others I have may missed?TIA.EDITED TO SAY:I thought that this thread would be useful/applicable to a lot of other leagues/teams even though the question is a bit self-serving too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Mark Clayton as well. He and Derek Mason are a strong duo.others - Mark Bradley, Arnaz Battle, Brandon Jones

when do you have to declare your keepers? If it's now, then you may want to play it safe and keep someone who you know will contribute next season (Miller, Evans) but if you can wait to see what happens with the GB running game, you may get better value.

What about Kevin Curtis?He had some real flashes when Bruce was hurt. Any chance he becomes the full-time starter?

We wait until very late to declare our keepers, so, yeah, I understand the situation is a fluid one. Ideally, where ever I can hit on a RB would be preferable over a QB, WR, or TE.Right now, I would like to get an early jump on the wire, and then we can continue to ammend this thread throughout the off-season so as it can be most useful to everyone.

What about Kevin Curtis?He had some real flashes when Bruce was hurt. Any chance he becomes the full-time starter?
I actually have him squirreled away right now, but with Martz gone, who knows what kind of value the 2nd/3rd WR will have in St. Louis.

I picked up Patrick Ramsey at the end of the year in a 16 team dynasty league. I figure with Brunell being the QB of the present and Jason Campbell being the QB of the future, Ramsey is the odd man out. He's not a free agent, but has only one year left on his contract, so he's very tradable. He's looked quite good at times and there are a lot of teams that need a QB. In the right system he could flourish.

As far as TEs: Troupe looks like he will be a stud next year & Zach Hilton was VERY good down the stretch for NO.

What about Kevin Curtis?

He had some real flashes when Bruce was hurt. Any chance he becomes the full-time starter?
I actually have him squirreled away right now, but with Martz gone, who knows what kind of value the 2nd/3rd WR will have in St. Louis.
Just saw that Curtis is a UFA......doubt he goes back to STL......but what about KC, if the offense stays the same? :)

Eric Shelton
This is a guy I'm going to be keeping an eye on in the offseason, despite his celebrated failure in camp last year. Especially if Foster signs on elsewhere.

Would Reggie Brown be considered a sleeper?

I think he could have a decent year next year
I think so, assuming the Eagles don't bring in a proven vet (e.g., Moulds, as rumored)

Re: Eric Shelton

This is a guy I'm going to be keeping an eye on in the offseason, despite his celebrated failure in camp last year. Especially if Foster signs on elsewhere.
Could you give me a little more background on his failure in camp? I didn't follow the situation as closely as I should've last year.Also, any love for:Ciatrick FasonRon Dayne :X

Could you give me a little more background on his failure in camp? I didn't follow the situation as closely as I should've last year.
I don't recall all the details, but he had a very poor camp and didn't endear himself to the coaching staff.IIRC, he was IR'd before the season started without any serious injury.

But Shelton was drafted in the 2nd round, so perhaps they'll give him another chance. He wouldn't be the first rookie to flop in his first year.

Could you give me a little more background on his failure in camp? I didn't follow the situation as closely as I should've last year.
I don't recall all the details, but he had a very poor camp and didn't endear himself to the coaching staff.IIRC, he was IR'd before the season started without any serious injury.

But Shelton was drafted in the 2nd round, so perhaps they'll give him another chance. He wouldn't be the first rookie to flop in his first year.
Shelton had to go to school to relearn to how to run, this time with his pads lower. Nothing I have read indicates the Panthers have completely given up on him, and he should get a shot to win a job next year, even if it is the smaller part of an RBBC with a newly signed Deshaun Foster.

Link to article

I thought Shelton broke a bone in his foot in training camp? Wouldn't explain him missing the whole year but maybe they thought better to give him a chance to get acclimated?Any Panthers homers?

I thought Shelton broke a bone in his foot in training camp? Wouldn't explain him missing the whole year but maybe they thought better to give him a chance to get acclimated?Any Panthers homers?
Shelton's foot injury was not of the season ending variety and he could have easily been on the PUP instead and reevaluated later in the season. It was a bit of shock and a definite statement on how far behind Shelton was when he got IRed prematurely.

Link to article

I remember Fox was trying to decide whether to keep Rod Smart or Jamal Robertson as their kick returner, they didn't have room for both, and when Shelton hurt his foot they placed him on IR, and kept both. Stephen Davis was playing in the preseason at this time too.

What about Cedric Houston, i think he has a chance to start next season.Besides Reggie Bush no other RB's in the draft is a lock a being better than Houston .He might get a chance.

What about Cedric Houston, i think he has a chance to start next season.

Besides Reggie Bush no other RB's in the draft is a lock a being better than Houston .

He might get a chance.
Houston is indeed a wildcard, although I'm not sure whether team brass is content to hand him the reins, RBBC with Curtis/Blaylock, or bring someone in via free agency.Plus, one must be mindful that Herm may not return, which would make it less likely that Houston will be the guy (new coach may want his own guy).

Michael Turner
I'd love to see this guy get traded, as he seems to be feature back material. But the Chargers also know this, and I'm sure want to keep him as cheap insurance for LT.

Michael Turner
I'd love to see this guy get traded, as he seems to be feature back material. But the Chargers also know this, and I'm sure want to keep him as cheap insurance for LT.
The kid is, I believe, very good. If LT2 ever sits out for part of a season, he'll be a monster in that offense.

Michael Turner
The kid is, I believe, very good. If LT2 ever sits out for part of a season, he'll be a monster in that offense.
Indeed. As an LT owner, I'm going to have to spend an even earlier pick next year to make sure I grab him as insurance.

Michael Turner
Turner has scary abilities at RB - he's built like a bowling ball but a serious 5th gear in the open field (see the play that killed Indy's perfect season for reference)

I thought Bruce Perry looked good running for Philly the other night against the Redskins. I know they have Westbrook and Moats, but Perry looked good.

Frank Gore

Chris Perry

Michael Turner

Ciatrick Fason

Ryan Moats
@#!*% this guy was good.
2006 season? Michael Turner? You were a little early on that one, bud.

Gore was a no-brainer.
:rolleyes: - Especially AFTER his rookie season of averaging 4.8 YPC and 8.7 YPR - so was Turner. Almost everyone agreed even then that if he ever got traded he'd be an RB1.Two 3 foot putts and 3 complete wiffs is worth bumping a 6 year old thread?

I'm saying Trent Richardson and Julio Jones are going to be good - do I need to throw in 3 crappy players now - or can I just bump this in 2018 as is?

Ok, this may have been a totally douchey bump, but it's actually not a bad topic. In order of decreasing likelihood:

-I think Blount is a guy worth acquiring for his prospects of signing elsewhere next year as a FA.

-Hillis could also bounce back in the second half and land a nice gig somewhere as well. I consider this a tie with Blount.

-Bilal Powell has a chance to be the starter next year if Jets don't re-sign Greene or draft someone.

-Redman or Dwyer could take over if Mendenhall isn't re-signed. I imagine they'll draft someone or sign someone, though.

Users who are viewing this thread