What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did any skins fans here buy RG3 a wedding gift? (1 Viewer)

B-Deep

Footballguy
Maybe this is FFA but i wanted to ask football folks, specifically redskins fans

I am just curious, did anyone buy him a gift?

I think the stink about this is pretty dumb, if the fans wanna buy him something to say they gave RG3 a wedding git more power too them. I understand why buying an uberwealthy QB a wedding gift seems dumb, but i also understand why fans would think it was cool/fun/funny. I think people dissing it are off base.

and this is coming from a Cowboys fan

so fess up, did anyone get him some coasters, maybe some hand towels or a fondue set?

Seriously, if i were a Redskins fan and saw him regsitered for something cheap at BB&Beyond I'd get it for him

here's some people taloking about why they bought him gifts

It was quite the story last week, especially for those who enjoy outrage over the money made by professional athletes and the sense of entitlement they all supposedly have:Washington Redskins fans went to the Bed, Bath & Beyond website and bought gifts for quarterback Robert Griffin III and his fiancée, Rebecca Liddicoat from the couple's wedding registry. Those gifts included several pricey items (in the $200-499 range), which set quite a few people out of joint. After all, those people said, where does a guy who signed a four-year, $21,119,098, fully guaranteed contract in July of 2012 get off accepting gifts from fans?

Beyond the usual Twitter beefs, Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio and Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution were two media pros who seemed especially irritated by the whole thing.

Dan Steinberg, the Big Kahuna over at theWashington Post's indispensable D.C. Sports Bog, got all investigative instead, and actually reached out to the fans who bought those gifts to see why they did it. As you'd expect, Steinberg got some interesting responses.

Patrick Dibert, a 24-year old Redskins fan who works in the non-profit sector for a Virginia group that fights hunger ... bought Griffin and his fiancée, Rebecca Liddicoat, a set of Brita water filters for $30 (including shipping), and he isn’t about to apologize.

“It’s not like that was money I’m not going to donate to charity; I’m just not going to go out to happy hour one time during the week,” Dibert told me on Monday. “I mean, it’s just kind of funny to say I bought RGIII a present.”
Wes Taylor bought RG3 and Ms. Liddicoat a pair of spoon holders for $8, and seemed surprised anyone was taking this so seriously.

"It was kind of a goof," Taylor told Steinberg. “I just saw something on there that wasn’t that expensive and was like ‘You know what, I might as well send that.’ It was off the wall, it was goofy and no one else had bought it.’”

And for John Short, buying a simple wedding gift was more about the goofiness inherent to the hardcore Redskins fan than any sort of "give to the rich" mistake.

“Everybody knows Redskins fans are crazy optimists who love RGIII,” he said, explaining why he and his wife spent $35 on a chip-and-dip set for a quarterback. “I think it’s just an indication of the way Redskins fans feel about the team. Yes, it’s crazy and illogical, but it was kind of a no-brainer once we thought about it. We love this team, and this is a unique way to support them; why wouldn’t we do it? You don’t see Jaguars fans buying their draft picks anything; that’s something that makes Redskins fans unique. It IS weird, but it’s something uniquely Redskins."
Some have criticized Griffin for not giving the gifted items to charity instead of keeping them, and in the long view, that's legitimate. However, 24-year-old Danny Kolta pointed out to Steinberg that while he spent seven bucks on a dish towel for the happy couple, he's also put down over $500 for an RG3 jersey at a silent auction for charity.

Kolta explained his thought process thusly:

“I’m only 24 years old, but he just gave me the most exciting Redskins season I’ve ever seen. He’s a normal person. Just because he’s rich he shouldn’t be able to receive gifts? That’s kind of stupid….With all the bad quarterbacks we’ve had, now we actually have something to be excited about. I just wanted to thank him. That’s the least I could do.”
And that's what this seems to be about -- a simple series of appreciative gestures for a player who has given Redskins fans hope they haven't had in a good, long while. it's also a way for the fans to feel involved, it seems. Dibert joked that the water filter he bought will help keep Griffin hydrated, and John Short advised Griffin and Liddicoat to use their new chip-and-dip set while watching the Dallas Cowboys lose during the Redskins' 2013 bye week.

“Congratulations, hope you have many happy years together, Hail to the Redskins,” Dibert wrote in the card that was sent with his gift.

What's so economically evil about that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have been a non-story. Good on the fans. I know I spend most of my weekends and plenty of time from late August to January watching/reading about my team, giving something to those guys I enjoy out there is kind of a no-brainer. Especially if it's non obtrusive and in good spirit.

Should have been a non-story. Good on the fans. I know I spend most of my weekends and plenty of time from late August to January watching/reading about my team, giving something to those guys I enjoy out there is kind of a no-brainer. Especially if it's non obtrusive and in good spirit.
I agree!

i just hoped someone here would say "yeah, i bought him steak knives!"

i mean someone who actually DID buy him steak knives

Pretty ridiculous argument when people pay hundreds of dollars to see him play in person vs. watching the same game on TV for free.

In theory, they should also get some kind of personalized thank you card from the couple which would hopefully be signed by RGIII and would be a neat collectable!

...I got Flacco an ice cube tray off his when it was leaked because i thought it was funny. Got personalized thank you card in mail (written by wife but he signed too). made me giggle.

...I got Flacco an ice cube tray off his when it was leaked because i thought it was funny. Got personalized thank you card in mail (written by wife but he signed too). made me giggle.
That's great, probably fetch a nice amount on eBay as well.

Lifelong skins fan here. I've been there through both the good and the bad times (more bad times recently, haha).

Bought him some hand towels off his registry. Not a huge some of money at all, but kinda fun to say I got them something. After all, I'm the kinda fan that lives and dies with the team (as I'm sure many of us are with our teams), so giving this little gift is a way of saying "thank you" for what he's done for the franchise in the short time he's been with it.

He should donate the value of the gifts to the families of the Oklahoma victims or something like that and call it a day. But i'm not going to worry about it if he doesn't.

He should donate the value of the gifts to the families of the Oklahoma victims or something like that and call it a day. But i'm not going to worry about it if he doesn't.
Why? Should I also donate the value of gifts I will receive at my wedding?

All it does it show how skewed society is and how so many people have so many mixed up priorities nowadays...

Yes, if you are a millionaire and people that you never met send you a gift. He could sign a dozen toasters and auction them off on ebay.

He should donate the value of his net worth he is going to lose by signing those wedding papers to all the brave men who have been extorted by their ex-wives.

Donnybrook said:
Spin said:
Tool said:
Yes, if you are a millionaire and people that you never met send you a gift. He could sign a dozen toasters and auction them off on ebay.
Why does the amount you make matter? If I make 100k a year, and people I've never met stumble upon my wedding registry, should I also donate the value to charity? A personalized, signed thank you card should be plenty. If he wants to donate to charity, I'm all for it. But he should in no way be obligated to donate to charity because some fans bought him wedding gifts.

Rockchild said:
In theory, they should also get some kind of personalized thank you card from the couple which would hopefully be signed by RGIII and would be a neat collectable!
never thought of that, that would be awesome

hell I want to buy him a gift now

matttyl said:
Lifelong skins fan here. I've been there through both the good and the bad times (more bad times recently, haha).

Bought him some hand towels off his registry. Not a huge some of money at all, but kinda fun to say I got them something. After all, I'm the kinda fan that lives and dies with the team (as I'm sure many of us are with our teams), so giving this little gift is a way of saying "thank you" for what he's done for the franchise in the short time he's been with it.
mad props to you!

Tool said:
He should donate well more than the value of these gifts to various causes over the course of his career, not so concerned about these gifts

killface said:
All it does it show how skewed society is and how so many people have so many mixed up priorities nowadays...
if you mean the people who want to critisize wedding gifts or say he should donate i agree

if you mean people sending him gifts, I think you are putting way too much weight on what it means

I've given wedding gifts to people I like far less than RG3 because it was what was expected of me. Why not give sopme to someone who entertains me, and doubly so if sending the gift itself entertains me

Definitely a stupid story. For those asking him to donate the value, do you really think he isn't going to donate way more than that over his career through raising money and his own donations? Just stupid for people to get mad at him when he didn't ask for it in any way and the people who bought the gifts never asked him to either.

matttyl said:

mad props to you!
Thanks! Something fun to do for my favorite athlete. And I meant to type "not a huge SUM of money", not "some of money", haha. I mean the guy quite literally put his career on the line in that playoff games for fans like me. A couple of hand towels is the least I could do!

killface said:
I had to spend $50 on my Brother's Fiancee's Sister for her wedding, and I can't stand that person. But apparently it would cause some giant family drama if I skipped the wedding and showed up without a gift.

I once ran into Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis while shopping before the Niners/Saints game a few years ago in New Orleans. I asked them to sign my hat, and they both obliged even took pictures with me. Some kids saw me taking pictures and came up asking if they played for the Niners. They probably sat there and took pictures, signed autographs for close to 30 minutes. Smiled the entire time. Some mom said thanks to Patrick wills for taking pics with her kids, and he replied "No, thank you." If I had the chance to buy either of them something, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Unlike Isaac Bruce who simply said "I don't do autographs and kept walking"

It'd be one thing if he was tweeting out the details of his registry and asking fans to buy him stuff, but that's not what happened. Somebody found it, put it up somewhere and fans took it on themselves to buy him stuff without him asking them to in any way. He then posted a picture of the gifts and expressed his sincere thanks to fans.

Should he not have a registry because he's rich? Wouldn't donating the stuff or the amount of gifts from fans actually be kind of an insult to the fans and be disrespectful of their kindness? Couldn't he ask his actual wedding guests to donate to a charity since the items were already purchased?Not a surprise that Florio is tearing down RG3. Mike Florio is a jerk that always seems to go out of his way to tear down legitimately good guys in the NFL. Wonder how much Mike Florio has donated to charity out of his millions he made off of PFT?

I do think it's somewhat silly for fans to have bought the stuff, but it was their money and their decision. To act like that reflects poorly on RG3 in any way is dumb.

I think it's a really fun story, especially if he does send a personalized thank you note to everyone who buys him something.

Donnybrook said:
Spin said:
Tool said:
Why does the amount you make matter? If I make 100k a year, and people I've never met stumble upon my wedding registry, should I also donate the value to charity? A personalized, signed thank you card should be plenty. If he wants to donate to charity, I'm all for it. But he should in no way be obligated to donate to charity because some fans bought him wedding gifts.
I am just saying that he will probably be getting a ton of stuff that he doesn't want or can't use. Duplicate items etc. People might be insulted if he sent their present back. I am sure they would not mind if their item went to a charity or soup kitchen etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Donnybrook said:
Spin said:
Tool said:
I am just saying that he will probably be getting a ton of stuff that he doesn't want or can't use. Duplicate items etc. People might be insulted if he sent their present back. I am sure they would not mind if their item went to a charity or soup kitchen etc.
I'm not sure how he would get duplicate items. Every registry I've seen in the last decade makes it clear what items have been purchased and which haven't. If you're ordering online, which I'm guessing all of these folks did, it won't even allow you to buy something already purchased.

Donnybrook said:
Spin said:
Tool said:
I'm not sure how he would get duplicate items. Every registry I've seen in the last decade makes it clear what items have been purchased and which haven't. If you're ordering online, which I'm guessing all of these folks did, it won't even allow you to buy something already purchased.
Ok. I stand corrected.

Note to self: stay out of RGIII threads.

I believe you should get your ### kicked for doing something like this.

I put this only slightly above saying, "Sounds like somebody has a case of the Mondays" on the geek scale.

Users who are viewing this thread