What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DIGTAL NOMAD 3.0 > ARGENTINA (Buenos Aires + Patagonia + ???) (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
We're looking into our annual escape from American life, and a discussion with a friend got us very intrigued about the idea of Argentina... particularly Buenos Aires with possible jaunts to Patagonia and or a Coastal town TBD. We're still considering other options (Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Colombia, Peru) but wanted to do some digging on this one. 

As usual key factors for us are somewhat stable digital infrastructure and power grid, affordable, english friendly, fairly stable government, respectable healthcare, etc. 

Concerns to monitor:
Inflation: While beneficial to our USD conversion rate... runaway inflation could impact stability and crime rates. 
COVID: Major mutations for the worse could make the trip more risky.. particularly visiting a bustling city vs smaller beach towns.

What's everyone know about Argentina? Buenos Aires and Patagonia specifically? Other cool towns / coastal towns? The GF loves wine so a long weekend into Malbec country could be cool. 

:popcorn:  

Last edited by a moderator:
We did this trip several years ago. One of the best vacations of my life. Not sure it was in exactly this order, but these were the stops.

El Calafate, Argentina (just a bunch of hiking)

Torres del Paine, Chile (Perito Moreno Glacier)

El Chalten, Argentina (hike to Mt Fitz Roy, the famous peak on Patagonia gear)

Ushuaia, Argentina (southern most point of South America, where we got in the cruise ship)

Cruise to Antarctica

We had steak (order it jugoso, aka juicy) and wine every night. 

Buenos Aires is nothing special. Spend very little time there.

Buenos Aires is like 4-5 city blocks of Times Square/Chicago surrounded by the most egregious 3rd world living/squalor you will ever see in this life.

Mendoza was amazing.

To clarify: 

I usually go for 6 weeks... we usually plan on ~4 weeks in one place and 1-2 weeks in a second place.  

We generally will work M-F 8-5 for the bulk of the time with 4-5 vacation days mixed in via a long weekend trip or two. 

We're not big on bouncing all over the place... this isn't really a sight seeing trip per se... more of a settle in a "live" in a new place for a month+ and have a couple small trips worked in.

Dont mind "3rd world squalor".... we spent nearly a month in Nicaragua a few months ago and had an amazing time. Awesome people, cheap living, etc. 

To clarify: 

I usually go for 6 weeks... we usually plan on ~4 weeks in one place and 1-2 weeks in a second place.  

We generally will work M-F 8-5 for the bulk of the time with 4-5 vacation days mixed in via a long weekend trip or two. 

We're not big on bouncing all over the place... this isn't really a sight seeing trip per se... more of a settle in a "live" in a new place for a month+ and have a couple small trips worked in.

Dont mind "3rd world squalor".... we spent nearly a month in Nicaragua a few months ago and had an amazing time. Awesome people, cheap living, etc. 

By that I meant buldings you see that look like they were hit with a bomb, literally leaning/falling over.... then you realize people are living in it.  Mind blowingly bad conditions those people are surviving in.

And around the corner the greatest steakhouse I've eaten at.

eta - 12 years is a long time.. maybe it is gotten better.  :shrug:

Did 2 weeks in Argentina many moons ago. BA is a big city with beautiful women. Dinner is hella late. Many restaurants don’t open until 10pm.  Ice creameries were a big thing. And the ice cream was amazing. It’s a very European Feeling city. As a big city guy, I liked it, but there was nothing amazing about it. Other than the women. :D   The best day in BA was the Eng-Arg match in the World Cup. Went to a small bar to watch it. Arg won. The entire country lost its mind. Very fun. 

The other stop was in cordoba. Smaller city. I was with locals, so did a lot of meeting families and doing traditional asados in the burbs/country.  Ate my one and only Guinea pig there.  Again, nothing crazy great about it. The people were very friendly. 

having followed your previous journeys, I don’t see the fit. Unless you want to do a small town there.  Which I don’t have any experience with. 

buena suerte. 

Well I still wouldn't call BA my home base. I'd hang out in one of the little towns I listed and do your weekend trips to the other little towns I listed. But they aren't tropical, sit on the beach locations, so might not be your scene. 

Users who are viewing this thread