What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disgruntled QBs and the owners "line in the sand" (1 Viewer)

I think that if you look at a situation like Brady and Belichick, those guys are obsessed with figuring out how to win. And they worked together. It was a collaboration. No days off. I think Rodgers is not in this vein. He is an amazing talent, one of the best to ever play quarterback. Super confident and believes in himself to get the job done. But he's got a lot going on outside of football. And I think he expects the packers to just take care of things the way that he wants when it comes to front office stuff and coaching strategies and what not. There's not a lot of communication there until after things are done. He doesn't get down amd dirty in these matters and make the packers winning his whole focus. Which is why this disconnect is happening I think.
That's also a possibility.

That said, there's also a lot of weird off-field stuff about Rodgers that we know, about his being estranged from his family, about some drama while he was dating Olivia Munn - I'm not saying these are related to his relationship issues with the Packers, but I'm also not not saying it. 

Could just be he's a weird dude who doesn't get along with people. I don't know this, but it's just another thing to consider while evaluating why all this went south in a hurry for the Packers. 

To be clear, I am not anti-Rodgers, and I am not anti-Packers. Something went wrong there - and I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around. I just have a hard time seeing this as 100% on Rodgers or 100% on the Packers front office.  We only have a few details to go on, and it seems like the Packers & ARod could have handled things much differently. 

And as others suggested, it might still be a cluster if they had regardless. 

What a mess.  

As an old guy I have to say, this is such a weird irony - I'd long thought of the Packers as one of the best run organizations in football. 

I think that if you look at a situation like Brady and Belichick, those guys are obsessed with figuring out how to win. And they worked together. It was a collaboration. No days off. I think Rodgers is not in this vein. He is an amazing talent, one of the best to ever play quarterback. Super confident and believes in himself to get the job done. But he's got a lot going on outside of football. And I think he expects the packers to just take care of things the way that he wants when it comes to front office stuff and coaching strategies and what not. There's not a lot of communication there until after things are done. He doesn't get down amd dirty in these matters and make the packers winning his whole focus. Which is why this disconnect is happening I think.
I wouldn't go quite this far but I do think there's a bit of truth to what you say. I'm sure at times brady/bill hated each other but they kept it out of the media and worked together anyways with the sole purpose of winning. 

I can't see Rodgers being like this. Not saying he doesn't work as hard as them, but I think his mind just works differently. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily, it's just how he is. But he's notorious for grudges (Jennings, his brother, etc) so if he dislikes someone, he's likely gonna dig his feet in and refuse to work with them. 

Miami had a ton of draft picks that could have been dealt for Rodgers.   Having enough draft and player capital to return to GB is another piece of the puzzle.  

This is an interesting part too. Leaking the news a few hours before the draft almost ensured a draft pick deal wouldn't be made. That seems curious. 
It's definitely weird timing. Did they leak it then because they didn't actually want a trade? Because he didn't want to go to a team like the Jets?  Because it would get the most media coverage?  Or the least? 

There's no way it was just a coincidence that it happened hours before the draft. I just don't really have a theory on why they did it. 

There's no way it was just a coincidence that it happened hours before the draft. I just don't really have a theory on why they did it. 
I may have missed it, but do we know it was the Packers who leaked it & not Rodgers?

It's definitely weird timing. Did they leak it then because they didn't actually want a trade? Because he didn't want to go to a team like the Jets?  Because it would get the most media coverage?  Or the least? 

It was probably just to get maximum coverage.  Something like 10 million people watch the NFL draft on television (which is honestly stunning to me.)  The funny part is the quote from yesterday where he claimed he is "disappointed" the news he leaked has become public.

It was probably just to get maximum coverage.  Something like 10 million people watch the NFL draft on television (which is honestly stunning to me.)  The funny part is the quote from yesterday where he claimed he is "disappointed" the news he leaked has become public.
Haha I didn't see that quote. Sure he was 😛

I guess maximum coverage, but also it lasted an hour and then all the focus was on the draft. I feel that if it was 2 weeks ago, it would be the only NFL news out there and dominate the sports world more. 

But maybe only for hardcore fans like us. 

Rodgers was "blindsided" by the Pack on draft day last year so he was just returning the favor.  Rodgers is petty enough to do something like that.

Rodgers was "blindsided" by the Pack on draft day last year so he was just returning the favor.  Rodgers is petty enough to do something like that.
Possibly. If this is the case then I see no repair possible. Get him out of green Bay. He played 16 seasons there, the exact same as Favre and Starr played in GB. 

It's time. 

Possibly. If this is the case then I see no repair possible. Get him out of green Bay. He played 16 seasons there, the exact same as Favre and Starr played in GB. 

It's time. 
I'm beginning to think this too.  I think we'll see him dealt after June 1st.

Most people who get punched, punch back.  Not sure if that is petty.  It is a lot more than just one thing though.  It has accumulated.

Agreed. Me neither. It's the one thing that makes me think he may not really want a trade. We'll see soon enough. 

What’s kind of fascinating to me is just how poorly BOTH sides have seemed to play this over the last year. It seems as if over the last year both sides have made wrong move after wrong move.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Right - and I believe that would have been a better situation. Because they’d have involved him in the process, he wouldn’t have felt threatened by it & he may have appreciated the courtesy. 

His input would have been noted because he had the opportunity to provide it & a management team who was willing to listen. 

I worked as a project manager for the better part of 20 years. Large projects seldom get consensus buy-in from management & inevitably some higher up or another wouldn’t be on board with the larger group’s decision. 

But they were involved in the decision-making process, let their feedback be heard & everyone moved forward with a plan. 

Sometimes that’s all it takes to keep people happy.

Had some of those dissenting executives not even been invited to the meeting, they likely would Have responded as ARod did. 

What Green Bay’s front office did lacked professionalism, and failed to account for the ego of their HOF QB. 

Ain’t saying Rodgers is right to have an ego & I ain’t sayin he handled it like a prince.  But superstar athletes are known quantities & they should have both anticipated & hedged for his response by involving him. Even if he disagreed. 
What a horrible take. First, Rodgers still would have been threatened by it. This guy holds a chip on his shoulder. He still talks about slipping in the draft as huge motivation. If a WR screws up a route, he chews him out on the field and doesn't go back to him. It's been reported that he would not call the plays Mike McCarthy called because he didn't like them. Not because they were the wrong call, but to spite McCarthy. His press conferences are usually filled with passive-aggressive digs on coaches or management. It's his history. Including him in the decision to draft Love wouldn't have changed that.

Second, comparing your decision making process as a project management is like comparing apples to oranges. Are you dealing with employees that are making 10s of million of dollars and making more money than those making the final decision? Does your company include everybody when it comes to who to hire or fire? I am sure the Packers include the players when making decisions about weight room equipment, individual workouts, etc. Player decisions is a different level. It's not really comparable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Report came out yesterday that this goes back to the Packers decision to release Jake Kumerow a couple of years ago. If he's upset that they released Jake Kumerow, do they really want him involved in the decision making process?

What a horrible take. First, Rodgers still would have been threatened by it. This guy holds a chip on his shoulder. He still talks about slipping in the draft as huge motivation. If a WR screws up a route, he chews him out on the field and doesn't go back to him. It's been reported that he would not call the plays Mike McCarthy called because he didn't like them. Not because they were the wrong call, but to spite McCarthy. His press conferences are usually filled with passive-aggressive digs on coaches or management. It's his history. Including him in the decision to draft Love wouldn't have changed that.

Second, comparing your decision making process as a project management is like comparing apples to oranges. Are you dealing with employees that are making 10s of million of dollars and making more money than those making the final decision? Does your company include everybody when it comes to who to hire or fire? I am sure the Packers include the players when making decisions about weight room equipment, individual workouts, etc. Player decisions is a different level. It's not really comparable.
My take was just fine thanks. It’s an opinion - you apparently have one too. I won’t read it after you started out by insulting me, but that’s how these things work.

have a nice day. 

What if he was traded to the Browns for a package including Baker Mayfield?
Exactly.  I do think their first priority will be grabbing a QB that can still take them to the playoffs.

Wilson, Mayfield, maybe even Carr.

If not then it's rebuild time and roll with Love and get a ton of picks for him.  Make sure he goes AFC.

Users who are viewing this thread