What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DIY headrest DVD players (1 Viewer)

Bayhawks

Footballguy
Does anyone have experience with installing headrest DVD players in a vehicle? I've done some research, and it doesn't seem too difficult, but I'm curious if anyone has any first-hand experience with the process.

The wife is pregnant with twins (our second set), and we also have a 4 year old son. We need a bigger vehicle (mini-van), but I'm disinclined to pay the exorbitant price to have one put in by the dealership/car company. Furthermore, I think installing two screens that can play separate movies will make it easier to keep more of the kids happy at the same time on road trips.

Any tips would be appreciated.

ETA-I'm referring to DVD players that are integrated into a headrest, which would replace the original headrest, thereby running the wiring through the seats, and not having wires hanging out everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like nowadays a Kindle Fire or Ipod Touch is probably a wiser spend of $ then trying to put something permanent into the car. The hesitation I got from my wife is "you can't give a 4 year old an iPod Touch", but looking into it more, I think it is the better solution.

I got a double screen dvd setup for about $100 at Target about 3 years ago. They strap onto the headrests. DONE.

I know you don't want wires hanging out everywhere, but is honestly the best option. You could then take off the screens and bring them into house/hotel room and use them there. win-win.

I got a double screen dvd setup for about $100 at Target about 3 years ago. They strap onto the headrests. DONE.

I know you don't want wires hanging out everywhere, but is honestly the best option. You could then take off the screens and bring them into house/hotel room and use them there. win-win.
Yeah, I considered them, but with 5 kids, we will be constantly putting 3 kids in the 3rd row, 2 babies in the 2nd row, and the wife will probably have to go back and forth from the front seat to the back 2 rows during trips, so the wires would not only be an "eyesore," but would also make getting the kids in & moving around difficult.

We have the same. Cords are minimal as well. Great purchase.

We have a ceiling mounted (dealer installed) DVD player in my wife's minivan. Its paid for itself many times over.

I have researched both DIY ceiling mounted systems, strap on headrest players (wire and wireless), and the headrest tablet holders for my truck.

Most people on the F150 forums favor the tablet holders, but I don't see a reason to own 2 iPads (yet). Personally I'd like to find a decent ceiling mounted system.

I built a fold down tray that slides into the seat back pocket of the drivers seat. That way on trips we can put a regular $30 portable DVDplayer on the tray for my daughter to watch, or she can use the tray for coloring. Tray folds up and out of the way to get the kids in, and we can take the DVD player into the hotel rooms to keep them occupied.

I installed these into my car before. Worked great and the kids loved them. If you have ever installed a car stereo these are very easy to install. Ran all the wires in the seat so they were out of sight. Both can play separate movies and at the same time you can link them to play the same movie..so it works in all situations. Grab some wireless headphones and you are good to go. I had them for almost three years with no issues,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C1035-Grey-2X-Car-Headrest-DVD-Player-9-HD-Screen-FM-Game-IR-Headphone-/171015111316?pt=US_Car_Monitors_w_Built_In_Player&hash=item27d14b8294&vxp=mtr

Thats pretty sweet gobrowns. How long did it take you to install?

eta--i took a strap from my duffel and ran it around my middle front seat (40-20-40 split front bench) when down and "tied down" my laptop and the iPad for past trips. Ghetto but works :lol:

Just bought an suv and was considering spending some cash on getting a dvd system installed in the headrests. It has a sunroof so ceiling is out. But after reading this thread, I think we'll just go with a set to strap on the headrests. Can anyone recommend a good brand? We have one that was in our former vehicle but it was cheap.

I like the idea of the iPod touch. Have three kids, do a ton of driving. Each can do their own thing, and can be used as a camera.

I have just bought a device that allows you to view videos via a local wifi. You hook up a hard drive or memory card and share video/music without over filling the iPod. My only issue with it was using a regular HDD in a moving vehicle. Kept losing connection and resetting when it bounced, bad for movies. I'm going to try a SSD drive before a big trip this summer.

I like the idea of the iPod touch. Have three kids, do a ton of driving. Each can do their own thing, and can be used as a camera.

I have just bought a device that allows you to view videos via a local wifi. You hook up a hard drive or memory card and share video/music without over filling the iPod. My only issue with it was using a regular HDD in a moving vehicle. Kept losing connection and resetting when it bounced, bad for movies. I'm going to try a SSD drive before a big trip this summer.
What's the device ?

Users who are viewing this thread