What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do the Packers talk to Flynn now? (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
You'd have to think they'll see what he can do in terms of working out. I don't think he offers anything more than Wallace other than potential playcalling flexibility.

if the the nfl operated like a fantasy team, maybe the bears or lions pick him up off waivers to hold him for a few weeks just until rodgers is about to come back. kind of like the broncos activating that practice squad wr so they couldnt sign him. doubt it even happens, and the packers i believe have a higher waiver claim than those 2 teams if they wanted to put a claim in...

He's been dumped by three teams since leaving the Packers, right? Local sports radio callers this morning were seriously talking about Favre. Sometimes I'm honestly embarrassed for our fans.

He's been dumped by three teams since leaving the Packers, right? Local sports radio callers this morning were seriously talking about Favre. Sometimes I'm honestly embarrassed for our fans.
Its nice to see there's a lunatic fringe in every fan base. Some people here in philly honestly wish Buddy Ryan was brought back to coach. Or that vick should still be the qb.

Also, I see the packers picking up a veteran backup but can any homers honestly say they won't roll with what they have? That's been their philosophy forever. Next man up. Senecas job for better or worse.

Also, I see the packers picking up a veteran backup but can any homers honestly say they won't roll with what they have? That's been their philosophy forever. Next man up. Senecas job for better or worse.
Id say there is almost no chance another QB comes in and plays this weekend other than Wallace.

Short week...even Flynn would not jump right in and start this week.

Just not sure what Veterans are really out there right now.

Flynn

V. Young

Favre

Wallace

That's quite a list of options for a team tied for 1st place... yikes!

As a Bears fan, I am praying that they call Matt "Statue" Flynn. The question is, who is his backup after he drops back the second time?

I would talk to Flynn or Vince young... I think Young could be a good player and win some games... All he ever has done before having that point in his career where he was basically a back up was win games... I believe he is much better then Seneca wallace, right? Seneca was completely incapable of throwing any type of a pass with any accuracy or mustard... the pack became 1 dimensional very fast.

Scott Tolzien can do everything Flynn can do.

As an aside the Pack last week or so raised Tolzien's practice squad salary to keep him from being signed away.

The Green Bay Packers like practice squad quarterback Scott Tolzien so much that they were willing to jack up his salary to the second-year veteran minimum in order to keep him from signing with another team.

The Packers increased Tolzien's salary from $6,000 per week to a base salary of $544,999, according to figures listed on the NFL Players Association website. The upgrade appears to have been made late last week.

Because NFL base salaries are paid over a 17-week schedule, Tolzien will receive $32,058 per week for the remaining nine weeks of the season. If the Packers keep him on the practice squad the rest of the season, he will receive $288,529 total.

He has made $48,000 during the first eight weeks of the season.

The team's decision to pay Tolzien what he would be making were he signed to another team's 53-man roster is not unprecedented.

The fact the Packers were willing to bump up Tolzien's salary speaks to how much they like him and want him to compete for a roster spot next season. The former University of Wisconsin quarterback has been with the San Francisco 49ers and San Diego Chargers, but he seems to have found a home with the Packers.

"The[y're] great people," Tolzien said recently. "It has been an easy transition. It's a great working environment. It's always business first, but guys get in their laughs, too."

Tolzien said he has soaked up as much as possible watching quarterback Aaron Rodgers and has already learned a great deal being in the same meeting room and practice field with him. He said veteran backup Seneca Wallace has taken him under his wing and been a huge resource.

"You'd be an idiot not to be a sponge," he said.

Quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo said recently that Tolzien was making strides in learning the offense and that his work ethic was outstanding. He said Tolzien would benefit greatly from going through coach Mike McCarthy's quarterbacks school in the off-season.

In the meantime, though, he and McAdoo work alone on sharpening his skills. Before the Minnesota game, Tolzien went through every possible drop-back and roll-out maneuver during a Metrodome workout that lasted at least 45 minutes.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-practice-squad-qb-scott-tolzien-gets-big-raise-b99131757z1-229983911.html#ixzz2jmt32yHl

Last edited by a moderator:
I would talk to Flynn or Vince young... I think Young could be a good player and win some games... All he ever has done before having that point in his career where he was basically a back up was win games... I believe he is much better then Seneca wallace, right? Seneca was completely incapable of throwing any type of a pass with any accuracy or mustard... the pack became 1 dimensional very fast.
Didn't Vince Young fail to learn the offense last time they tried him out? Why should he then succeed in five days?

I say Flynn. He knows majority of the play calling. (Unless they changed it when philbin left) and has some chemistry with the receivers (Nelson. Jones. Quarless. Etc etc)

Vy is not the answer. If the answer to any question is "we should sign Vince Young" then you might as well fold.

I'm of the mind that Seneca did ok for being thrown in there with basically no first team reps for almost 3 months. The bears did the right thing in stacking the run and forcing Wallace to beat them but with a week of practice, he should at least be serviceable.

The eagles defense while improved still will get lit up. I see the eagles offense putting up at least 35 on that defense. So seneca should have a good stat line.

My first thought is they would take a look at all available guys that know the system since it is mid year. I would think their short list would include Flynn, Vince Young and Graham Harrell.

My first thought is they would take a look at all available guys that know the system since it is mid year. I would think their short list would include Flynn, Vince Young and Graham Harrell.
If they were valuable enough to have. They'd be on the team already. Seneca starts at least this week. From there we'll see.

If they were valuable enough to have. They'd be on the team already. Seneca starts at least this week. From there we'll see.
If Rodgers is out they have to sign someone to backup Wallace. I would think if they need another body for a few weeks they will most likely turn to an available body that is familiar with their system. I didn't say they would start that player. Wallace is the most likely starter but they won't go into next week without another healthy QB on the roster.

If Rodgers is out they have to sign someone to backup Wallace. I would think if they need another body for a few weeks they will most likely turn to an available body that is familiar with their system. I didn't say they would start that player. Wallace is the most likely starter but they won't go into next week without another healthy QB on the roster.
This weekend it will almost certainly be Tolzien.

I would be shocked if it's not Wallace.

Coach even admitted in his presser that back-up QB's behind Rogers get almost ZERO rep's in practice.

He'll play better next week.

Coach even admitted in his presser that back-up QB's behind Rogers get almost ZERO rep's in practice.

Sorry to confuse, I'm taking about the backup. I don't agree with Warhogs that the Packers "have to sign someone to backup Wallace." If history is a guide with Thompson and Mcarthy, Tolzien will back Wallace on Sunday.

Sorry to confuse, I'm taking about the backup. I don't agree with Warhogs that the Packers "have to sign someone to backup Wallace." If history is a guide with Thompson and Mcarthy, Tolzien will back Wallace on Sunday.
Exactly what I was thinking.

this is what you get when you don't probably back up the most important position on the team. Theres no way a team with management this highly ranked should of been running around with Wallace as their #2 option when they know their O-line isn't all that. I know people love Thompson but this has to be a knock against him.

this is what you get when you don't probably back up the most important position on the team. Theres no way a team with management this highly ranked should of been running around with Wallace as their #2 option when they know their O-line isn't all that. I know people love Thompson but this has to be a knock against him.
Because there were a ton of other options out there all offseason right?

How many other teams can take a hit to their starter...on a team whose QB is that highly rated and carry on?

Brees? Brady? Manning? Any of those guys go down right now the season is basically over for their teams.

Didn't they lose Flynn because they couldn't afford to keep him? Now Rodgers is hurt AND Flynn is cheap? Of course they're trying to throw off the scent with the arm issue talk. The entire front office is holding hands and praying that he clears waivers as we speak.

The problem is, many teams have the same issue. Look around the league - if Brady went down or Brees...Peyton Manning? All of those teams would be absolutely screwed. I think this is a league problem with roster numbers and slots, as well as the CBA's practice limits. The NFL should allow a team a "developmental QB" slot on their roster for game-days (the old "emergency QB" slot). But the other issue is practice time. Most teams' #2 QB see almost zero reps during practice in-season. I don't know that there is a way to fix that.

ETA: :lmao: sniped by sho - and he even listed all the same QBs.

And this is exactly what I was thinking.

The problem is, many teams have the same issue. Look around the league - if Brady went down or Brees...Peyton Manning? All of those teams would be absolutely screwed. I think this is a league problem with roster numbers and slots, as well as the CBA's practice limits. The NFL should allow a team a "developmental QB" slot on their roster for game-days (the old "emergency QB" slot). But the other issue is practice time. Most teams' #2 QB see almost zero reps during practice in-season. I don't know that there is a way to fix that.

For the record the Saints cut Wallace, so, no, they wouldn't have Seneca Wallace in that situation.

There's a discussion to be had about backup QBs and the situations they're in. There are backups that come in and are FF gold this time of year for WW DSTs you can scopp up and start against. And then there are guys liek Josh McCown who can come in and do just fine.

How many other teams can take a hit to their starter...on a team whose QB is that highly rated and carry on?

Brees? Brady? Manning? Any of those guys go down right now the season is basically over for their teams.
Luke McCown, Mallett, Osweiler.

Other frontrunners have backups Chase Daniel, Matt Hasselbeck, Kyle Orton, Tavaris Jackson.

So no none of these teams are as unprepared as the Packers.

Add in that there really is a lack of quality QBs out there.

Hell, some teams can't find one...and we are supposed to bash a GM for not having 2.

Luke McCown, Mallett, Osweiler.

Other frontrunners have backups Chase Daniel, Matt Hasselbeck, Kyle Orton, Tavaris Jackson.

So no none of these teams are as unprepared as the Packers.
Luke McCown...sucks.

Mallett...yeah, ok.

Osweiler...um...if you say so.

Chase Daniel...Hasselbeck is still in the league?...Kyle Orton is that much better than Wallace now?

Sorry, but none of those guys you mentioned are anything to really write home about and yes, those teams could very well be in the same spot as the Packers as to how prepared they are to deal with this.

Users who are viewing this thread