What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

do we need to know Dennis Johnson? RB, Hou (1 Viewer)

Honestly this is just my opinion, but if Tate were to go out I think Karim would get early down work and Johnson would stay in the change of pace role.

Conventional thought was that Deji would've been the 3rd back after Foster and Tate vs the colts. But Dennis Johnson got the nod while Deji and Ray Graham were inactive. Maybe Deji Karim wasnt in top shape seeing as the texans got him off the street while Johnson at least was on someone's practice squad. I was shocked to see DJ play over him. While I bet Karim is a more "solid" back and is better in pass protection, there's no doubt Dennis Johnson is way more explosive. The guy has some potential. You can tell he doesn't have the best vision though. He had plenty of room on some runs and would plow right into the backs of some of his linemen. He would get about 4 yards when he could've had 6-8. I like his game. He's got a big fumbling problem though. He put the ball on the ground multiple times in texans preseason games. Not sure how it'll all shake out this Sunday now that Deji has had more time to get up to speed. Tate is gutting it out and playing tough, but his explosiveness and upside is really capped by those hurt ribs. I would bet that he doesn't see 22 carries this Sunday like he did last week. I could see Dennis Johnson and Deji Karim getting about 16-18 carries combined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly this is just my opinion, but if Tate were to go out I think Karim would get early down work and Johnson would stay in the change of pace role.
Why do you think that? I see no justification for it.
Because Johnson has been referred to as a change of pace or 3rd down back
No because of his size and running style. He relies more on speed and quickness and can't take a pounding. Karim can plod ahead for a few yards and then Johnson can come in and work in space better.

Karim is jag, Johnson may not be. Stashed him in dynasty and watching for redraft, especially since Tate is playing injured.

None of these backups have any dynasty value imo. There will be a rookie as #2 RB in Houston next year.

None of these backups have any dynasty value imo. There will be a rookie as #2 RB in Houston next year.
not if Johnson plays well enough.
I don't think he's talented enough for long term appeal. Hell Cleveland's backfield is a mess and he wasn't on their active roster.
never really got a shot, it'd be more telling if he were there for camp but he was in Houston. Those practice squad guys get easily looked over once the season starts. Houston calling Johnson back really gets my attention.

Quote from Wade Phillips regardng Johnson

“I think he added a lot last game," Phillips said. "Between he and Ben last game, looked like to me, he was a good change up guy. We had a guy last year that was kind of that way. But I thought he did a good job in the ball game. We’ll try to utilize him again.” Johnson, according to Phillips, might also contribute in the return game as well.

He also said Kaim is likely the 3rd back..

I'm guessing Karim backs up Tate and Johnson keeps the change of pace role regardless of who is the primary carrier

Wood was better than any of em preseason. Karim looked decent then too. Johnson basically played his way from the 3rd back to off the team. IMO he didnt display good vision and ran into piles. Also fumbled. Maybe that was a wakeup call and he will fit in better this time around but looks like a change of pace guy to me....may not be bad tho if they run more shotgun and pistol sets with Keenum...might suit Johnsons style a little better

I would not be quick to discount Johnson......especially with the changing of the guard regarding NFL rb's and their usage. Guys like Woodhead, Ellington etc...are making big inroads this year and scoring big fantasy points for their teams. I watched Johnson's highlights at Arkansas and came away pretty impressed with his toughness at and after contact. He is not too far off the build of MJD/Rice so his size is irrelevant. He is in a rb friendly system with a qb throwing long and well enough to open up running lanes for him.

Above all he has opportunity and a ROS which make him a must add in my humble opinion

You tube him and decide for yourself. Broken ribs are no fun either having had them.

Conventional thought was that Deji would've been the 3rd back after Foster and Tate vs the colts. But Dennis Johnson got the nod while Deji and Ray Graham were inactive. Maybe Deji Karim wasnt in top shape seeing as the texans got him off the street while Johnson at least was on someone's practice squad. I was shocked to see DJ play over him. While I bet Karim is a more "solid" back and is better in pass protection, there's no doubt Dennis Johnson is way more explosive. The guy has some potential. You can tell he doesn't have the best vision though. He had plenty of room on some runs and would plow right into the backs of some of his linemen. He would get about 4 yards when he could've had 6-8. I like his game. He's got a big fumbling problem though. He put the ball on the ground multiple times in texans preseason games. Not sure how it'll all shake out this Sunday now that Deji has had more time to get up to speed. Tate is gutting it out and playing tough, but his explosiveness and upside is really capped by those hurt ribs. I would bet that he doesn't see 22 carries this Sunday like he did last week. I could see Dennis Johnson and Deji Karim getting about 16-18 carries combined.
The bolded is very confusing to me.

What has the 27 YO Deji ever done in his career to justify it ever being a surprise that a team elected not to play him?

I have no idea what'll happen, if ever someone not named Tate gets a chance, but did I miss something about Deji? He's just a guy right?

The bolded is very confusing to me.What has the 27 YO Deji ever done in his career to justify it ever being a surprise that a team elected not to play him?

I have no idea what'll happen, if ever someone not named Tate gets a chance, but did I miss something about Deji? He's just a guy right?
It was a shock to ME as a Texans fan because knowing conservative Kubiak, I figured he would play the guy with NFL experience over an undrafted rookie. After all, in 2009 it took every RB we had on the roster to fail miserably or get injured before the undrafted guy named Arian Foster got a chance to strut his stuff. I'm aware that Karim is the perfect example of a journeyman and "just a guy". I was just shocked that Kubes allowed a kid who fumbled in preseason multiple times (and Gary always punishes BEN freaking TATE for fumbles) to be active rover the non-spectacular vet Deji Karim. Karim was "solid" in preseason for Houston, but didn't look like amazing. That's where my shock last Sunday came from. I have no doubts that Dennis Johnson has or will have better ability than Karim. I just expected it to be Karim getting the nod over DJ vs the colts. I was pleasantly surprised it was the other way around.

The bolded is very confusing to me.What has the 27 YO Deji ever done in his career to justify it ever being a surprise that a team elected not to play him?

It was a shock to ME as a Texans fan because knowing conservative Kubiak, I figured he would play the guy with NFL experience over an undrafted rookie. After all, in 2009 it took every RB we had on the roster to fail miserably or get injured before the undrafted guy named Arian Foster got a chance to strut his stuff. I'm aware that Karim is the perfect example of a journeyman and "just a guy". I was just shocked that Kubes allowed a kid who fumbled in preseason multiple times (and Gary always punishes BEN freaking TATE for fumbles) to be active rover the non-spectacular vet Deji Karim. Karim was "solid" in preseason for Houston, but didn't look like amazing. That's where my shock last Sunday came from. I have no doubts that Dennis Johnson has or will have better ability than Karim. I just expected it to be Karim getting the nod over DJ vs the colts. I was pleasantly surprised it was the other way around.
Oh, now I get you mean.

Johnson is the most added player today in Yahoo, over 33,000 teams, maybe he has value
Willis McGahee was the most added player in Yahoo a while back. So maybe not.
Zac Stacy had Johnson type add numbers in Yahoo a while back, it seemed to work out
no difference between stacy and johnson at all... <_<
Yeah Zac Stacy has that first round pedigree?

Both played in the SEC.....both have opportunity.....Stacy's came first

Johnson just wasnt impressive in the preseason...he was clearly outplayed by Wood and Karim and he fumbled. I think thats why a lot of us homers were surprised he got the call. He must show something in practice because he had first shot at the #3 job in camp and they threw him back out there last week--we just havent seen it it games yet but maybe the light will come on for him

For those of us that followed the preseason, both the coaches words, and how they split time between the backs suggested Karim was going to be the 3rd RB. Graham was cut first, Johnson nearly never saw the field(in games), and Wood was coming in after Karim. So we were somewhat surprised when Karim was released and Wood was kept. There was more upside with Wood, so fans didn't have a problem with it. Now with Johnson coming back and being active over Karim, it was a little head scratching considering what we saw from them in the preseason.

I'm thinking of dropping Mcfadden for him. I'm in a 0.5 PPR league and have Stacy, Bush, Pierre and Ellington anyway. I even picked up Rashad Jennings. This isn't a look at me thing - more of an indication as to McFadden's value now.

Here's what I need to know

1. About 90 percent chance Foster is done for the season

2. Tate has FOUR broken/damaged ribs

3. Houston is going with a unknown at QB, lots of run plays

4. Johnson ran hard and looked good last week, I don't care about his size, who the RB is behind him is, it's all out seizing opportunity, and Johnson is

5. Where else are you going to get a potential starting NFL RB for your FF team this late in the season on the waiver wire, I take him now over Harvin at the end or my bench, at least I know he will play.

6. With two games left against the leaky Jac D, weeks 12/14 makes him with a pick up alone.

Here's what I need to know1. About 90 percent chance Foster is done for the season2. Tate has FOUR broken/damaged ribs3. Houston is going with a unknown at QB, lots of run plays4. Johnson ran hard and looked good last week, I don't care about his size, who the RB is behind him is, it's all out seizing opportunity, and Johnson is5. Where else are you going to get a potential starting NFL RB for your FF team this late in the season on the waiver wire, I take him now over Harvin at the end or my bench, at least I know he will play.6. With two games left against the leaky Jac D, weeks 12/14 makes him with a pick up alone.
Yep, agreed. In a 12-14 team league with deep rosters he is the golden child

Here's what I need to know

1. About 90 percent chance Foster is done for the season

2. Tate has FOUR broken/damaged ribs

3. Houston is going with a unknown at QB, lots of run plays

4. Johnson ran hard and looked good last week, I don't care about his size, who the RB is behind him is, it's all out seizing opportunity, and Johnson is

5. Where else are you going to get a potential starting NFL RB for your FF team this late in the season on the waiver wire, I take him now over Harvin at the end or my bench, at least I know he will play.

6. With two games left against the leaky Jac D, weeks 12/14 makes him with a pick up alone.
Tate had FOUR broken/damaged ribs last week plus 22 carries

this tread gives the same feeling i had with the stacy thread. johnson is a must add in dynasty and redraft. that's my gut feeling.

@AdamSchefter 4m
Texans RB Arian Foster has a bulging disc in back that is expected to require surgery. Three doctors recommending surgery. Question is when.

@AdamSchefter 4m
RB Arian Foster will meet with Texans to determine how soon he should have surgery. Foster would like to play but doesn’t how prudent it is.

Foster done for the season, per Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet). Texans will place him on IR Monday.
Yep:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Texans will announce the move to put Arian Foster on Injured Reserve on Monday. It is a lumbar issue.

Users who are viewing this thread