What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you have a will? (1 Viewer)

Chemical X

Footballguy
so, its at the point right aboot now where we have accumulated enough r.e., cash & assets to probably do a will. we travel together alot and have no chillens.

dont really know if i want to do an equal 'split' amongst familty members, as we have differing family sizes. do you have a will? how did the discussions with your s.o. go?

any advise is appreciated.

fyi - i have the arag group legal plan, so will preparation is no cost.

:bag: :hot:

Last edited by a moderator:
If only one of us croaks, the other gets it all.

If both of us croak together, we each get to dispose of 50% our combined assets as we see fit.

I left all my assets to my nieces and nephews. My wife left all her stuff to her mom.

:shrug:

so, its at the point right aboot now where we have accumulated enough r.e., cash & assets to probably do a will. we travel together alot and have no chillens.

dont really know if i want to do an equal 'split' amongst familty members, as we have differing family sizes. do you have a will? how did the discussions with your s.o. go?

Dude...do a will and a trust. They are worthless without each other.This is important for a few reasons, but mainly to avoid probate court and to keep your financial affairs private.

Imagine this....you die. That's a bad day, but what is in store for your wife is brutal. She will have to go to court to prove that she owns all the stuff you guys have accumulated together...not to mention expensive court fees (3-6%). :thumbdown:

Will and trust are cheap. $2k max, but if you have access to free legal then use them. Make sure the will pours into the trust. Then you have to retitle everything into the name of the trust. The Chemical X Family Trust Dated xx/xx/xxxx.

so, its at the point right aboot now where we have accumulated enough r.e., cash & assets to probably do a will.  we travel together alot and have no chillens.

dont really know if i want to do an equal 'split' amongst familty members, as we have differing family sizes.  do you have a will?  how did the discussions with your s.o. go?

:bag:   :hot:
Dude...do a will and a trust. They are worthless without each other.This is important for a few reasons, but mainly to avoid probate court and to keep your financial affairs private.

Imagine this....you die. That's a bad day, but what is in store for your wife is brutal. She will have to go to court to prove that she owns all the stuff you guys have accumulated together...not to mention expensive court fees (3-6%). :thumbdown:

Will and trust are cheap. $2k max, but if you have access to free legal then use them. Make sure the will pours into the trust. Then you have to retitle everything into the name of the trust. The Chemical X Family Trust Dated xx/xx/xxxx.
I thought you only have to go through probate if your estate value is over a certain monetary threshhold?

so, its at the point right aboot now where we have accumulated enough r.e., cash & assets to probably do a will.  we travel together alot and have no chillens.

dont really know if i want to do an equal 'split' amongst familty members, as we have differing family sizes.  do you have a will?  how did the discussions with your s.o. go?

I thought you only have to go through probate if your estate value is over a certain monetary threshhold?
Nope...if you're in the black you will die intestate without having your property in the trust. Assets with named beneficiaries will pass straight to bene. It's such an easy problem to fix....why mess around?

X, come on, its like I don't even know you anymore.I think you should have multiple wills, each naming different people as sole beneficiaries, none dated and none filed.

Think of the hilarity to ensue your death.

PS - I'll take jasper.

Nope...if you're in the black you will die intestate without having your property in the trust. Assets with named beneficiaries will pass straight to bene. It's such an easy problem to fix....why mess around?
If you HAVE a will there is a threshhold but if you don't probate ensues.

Yeah, some lawyer convinced me of this as well, so I did it on my prepaid legal thingy as well. At the time, I think the words like probate and such made sense to me, but it's all gone now. Ignorance is bliss in this case, for sure.

:blackdot:

ARAG rules, just a nice to have. Signed up when I started my job like 6+ years ago, covered my title work and closing in NJ for $0 as a member. It's like a little over $200 a year, I think I'm floating around break even now just from that transaction.

Will look into this with some downtime, even though a will is unnecessary for me. Why not?

Users who are viewing this thread