What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

do you think nfl players use PEDs? does it matter to you? (1 Viewer)

bostonfred

Footballguy
It seems like the prevailing wisdom is that use of PEDs is big in the nfl. I'm interested in this for a couple of reasons. To me, it doesn't really matter if guys are willing to take a risk to improve. Every time they get on the field, they take a health risk. If you were the one guy on the field who didn't take HGH, you'd get killed.

I do care about the kids, I guess. A lot of the high school and college kids who try to get a leg up by using PEDs early will never make the NFL, and it doesn't seem right to me that kids who refuse to take them will take a back seat to the guys who do. But I think there's an obligation in the ncaa to test for PEDs and keep the kids safe. That doesn't seem like the nfl's role.

But thats all been discussed ad nauseum. There's a real football effect that doesn't seem to be discussed very often. I don't want to suggest anyone is using performance enhancers, because I have no reason to suspect them. But imagine if a guy like chris johnson used PEDs, and got fast before his pro day. Then he continued to use them, and ran for 2k yards. Then he stopped using them, because he didn't want to risk his big contract on rumors or a possible test. Then he sucked for the first half of the year as he cycled back on, and finished the season a little stronger. Then word comes out that he got bigger and stronger in the offseason, and is running stronger than he did in his 2k season.

Again, im not saying he did anything wrong - people have talked about needing to get into nfl game shape before, and while in some cases that may be a euphamism for needing to get back on the juice, there is certainly no reason to think that a guy like johnson needed anything more than to get into game shape. But it does raise the question: if you suspected that a player, whoever it might be, were juicing, or were forced to quit the juice, or was likely to start juicing for some reason, would it impact your opinion of them? Their fantasy value? Your fandom?

It seems like the prevailing wisdom is that use of PEDs is big in the nfl. I'm interested in this for a couple of reasons. To me, it doesn't really matter if guys are willing to take a risk to improve. Every time they get on the field, they take a health risk. If you were the one guy on the field who didn't take HGH, you'd get killed. I do care about the kids, I guess. A lot of the high school and college kids who try to get a leg up by using PEDs early will never make the NFL, and it doesn't seem right to me that kids who refuse to take them will take a back seat to the guys who do. But I think there's an obligation in the ncaa to test for PEDs and keep the kids safe. That doesn't seem like the nfl's role.But thats all been discussed ad nauseum. There's a real football effect that doesn't seem to be discussed very often. I don't want to suggest anyone is using performance enhancers, because I have no reason to suspect them. But imagine if a guy like chris johnson used PEDs, and got fast before his pro day. Then he continued to use them, and ran for 2k yards. Then he stopped using them, because he didn't want to risk his big contract on rumors or a possible test. Then he sucked for the first half of the year as he cycled back on, and finished the season a little stronger. Then word comes out that he got bigger and stronger in the offseason, and is running stronger than he did in his 2k season. Again, im not saying he did anything wrong - people have talked about needing to get into nfl game shape before, and while in some cases that may be a euphamism for needing to get back on the juice, there is certainly no reason to think that a guy like johnson needed anything more than to get into game shape. But it does raise the question: if you suspected that a player, whoever it might be, were juicing, or were forced to quit the juice, or was likely to start juicing for some reason, would it impact your opinion of them? Their fantasy value? Your fandom?
I actually think it's the PEDs which brought about CJ's bad year,http://www.pedshoes.com/

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the majority of NFL players are on something. Drug development will always be ahead of player testing. With fame and fortune on the line for people of humble backgrounds who have zero chance of being caught (if you're smart about it) I would be absolutely shocked if less than 30% of players were on something.

Finding out a player was on PEDs wouldn't change my opinion of them at all.

Yes I think some NFL players use PEDs, but not all.And Fred you made both of the arguments yourself why the NFL needs to care about them. First being impact on youth. Second being...

If you were the one guy on the field who didn't take HGH, you'd get killed.
I don't think a non-sports company should foster an environment where their salesman feel they have to engage in illegal bribes or sleeping with clients just to stay competitive with their peers. So it makes sense I don't think the NFL should foster an environment where players feel they need to break the law or subject their bodies to unnecessary health risks from PEDs just to hold onto their job, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figure most of the players in the NFL are on PEDs. Years ago that bothered me. Now, I have accepted it as part of the modern sports world. It is not just the NFL.

I figure most of them take PEDs - One thing I wonder about is with all these concussion lawsuits.

How can you sue the NFL for bodily damage done on the field if you illegally transformed your body along with many others, making the Collisions and... Concussions that much greater?

I figure most of them take PEDs - One thing I wonder about is with all these concussion lawsuits.How can you sue the NFL for bodily damage done on the field if you illegally transformed your body along with many others, making the Collisions and... Concussions that much greater?
Perhaps that's one reason the NFLPA keeps dragging their feet on HGH testing.But of course there's NFL players that don't juice. In fact, I bet there's less guys that juice than most people assume. I love when I see guys come out in favor of more strict testing. Andy Levitre tweeted about his pee test this past week and said he was disappointed that they still weren't taking blood for HGH testing.

I think HGH is prevalant, especially for rehab purposes coming off of various injuries. Beyond that, who knows? Frankly I don't really care.

it's an awfully violent game, and i would assume most guys in the league take something just so they can heal more quickly to keep playing. they sacrifice their bodies and we benefit by being entertained by their athletic prowess. i don't begrudge them whatever they need to do for physical recovery. hopefully they take something that has no negative long-term consequences.

I figure most of them take PEDs - One thing I wonder about is with all these concussion lawsuits.How can you sue the NFL for bodily damage done on the field if you illegally transformed your body along with many others, making the Collisions and... Concussions that much greater?
My father (71 years old and die hard baseball fan) and I had a conversation about this a few years ago in regards to baseball. I was very surprised by his answer (expecting some purist-type claim) when he said that he is fine with the guys that use PEDs, but draws the line at steroids. I don't know how/why he made that the line, but he basically feels everyone (or most) do some sort of PED (who is to say having a Red Bull before a game or just a cup of coffee is not an advantage), and that is what is to be expected versus a steroid, which at least in his mind is the "next level".

I figure everyone in the NFL is on PEDs except perhaps some kickers, punters, QBs, and A.J. Hawk.

Yes, it bothers me.

Players weights shot thru the roof when they abolished steroids. I think they need to ban anything that does not come from a fruit or vegetable, you shoot yourself up with whatever the PED is, ban for life. Get this game back to what it once was before science and tech fused to create abnormal human beings, enough already.

i am all for PEDs in all professional sports, including the olympics. i want to see the highest possible, chemically enhanced if need be, athletic achievements.

Hmm... more thoughts..

What if... Your kid was destined to be the next Walter Payton talent wise. Yet, the Football world he lived in was dominated by PEDs and he didn't believe in them? So, he spends the rest of his life as a mailman.

What if some 280lb LB HGH specimen broke his neck?

I guess there is a large group of athletes that are beaten out of a career or greatness because they refuse to buy in.

Does Tebow take PEDs? Guy is an athletic freak but, I can't see PED's being part of his master plan.

I figure most of them take PEDs - One thing I wonder about is with all these concussion lawsuits.

How can you sue the NFL for bodily damage done on the field if you illegally transformed your body along with many others, making the Collisions and... Concussions that much greater?
My father (71 years old and die hard baseball fan) and I had a conversation about this a few years ago in regards to baseball. I was very surprised by his answer (expecting some purist-type claim) when he said that he is fine with the guys that use PEDs, but draws the line at steroids. I don't know how/why he made that the line, but he basically feels everyone (or most) do some sort of PED (who is to say having a Red Bull before a game or just a cup of coffee is not an advantage), and that is what is to be expected versus a steroid, which at least in his mind is the "next level".
I used to pop 2 or 3 no-doze before every game in high school - I swear it made me more alert. I'm sure it didn't but I liked the feeling :unsure:

lol, of course they do. PED's are always ahead of the testing curve. If they fall behind the curve and get caught, they deserve the consequences. The NFL has an image to uphold.

i am all for PEDs in all professional sports, including the olympics. i want to see the highest possible, chemically enhanced if need be, athletic achievements.
It doesn't seem like a very interesting competition when it's basically down to who has the better chemist.

"Drugs" is just what some government wants to allow or disallow based on money$.

The use of Performance Enhancing Substances... more power to 'em.

I know some offices that would lose an absolute ton of productivity without their coffee.

Users who are viewing this thread