What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dodds (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may occasionally, and i mean occasionally bring a ranking up that i dont neccassarily agree with for discussion, but this is the first time i am bringing one up for what i think to be undeniably wrong.I know you make alot of gutsy calls, as a matter of fact part of the reason i originally payed for the services here at FBG is because of Shane Matthews and his #4(i think 4, but high whatever it was) ranking in week one a few years back. As it turned out, he went on to throw 3 TD passes that game, and i was sold. I dont know exactly how you rank your players, but i assume it comes directly from your projections. So maybe while you were inputting the numbers it happened that Mccown came out to be ranked higher than Peyton. What i would like to know, if Peyton and Mccown were your only two options at QB this week in a real league, would you start Mccown over Peyton Manning?Disclaimer, i have Peyton Manning and Josh Mccown in the same league, so this post could be considered a who do i start. Trust me though, if i got 1000 replies saying i should start Mccown and none saying i should go with Manning, it would not make me even consider benching Manning for Mccown. Also, i know it is possible that Mccown finishes higher than Manning, and that i may be setting myself up here to look really stupid, but i was just wondering does David put in his numbers and leave them as is, or does he go through the cheatsheets after and ask himself "would i really start player A over player B?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew this was about McCown before opening the thread :D You must be in a league similar to mine.. 4pt pass TDs and 1pt per 25 pass yards. I think it's a yardage thing that puts McCown higher than some guys this week, given that he's got some downfield threats and is going up against the 32nd ranked pass defense.

You'll have to send him a PM or email if you want a response. Dodds RARELY has time to check out the Shark Pool.

You'll have to send him a PM or email if you want a response. Dodds RARELY has time to check out the Shark Pool.
Na its better this way. I dont think he would prefer 35 emails about the same question.

This seems like one of those "high risk, high reward" situations. McCown has a higher likelihood of throwing 4 INTs, but he also has a higher likelihood of throwing for 350 yards.Still, I'd rather bank on the relative security of Manning.

McCown over Manning EVER???  :eek:
we are talking .6 more here :loco:
I realize it is only one spot, but fact is, on the cheatsheets Mccown is ranked ahead of Manning. Can anyone here say that they would start Mccown over Manning? I know Mccown is playing the 32nd ranked pass defense(does it really matter though, considering Mccown is probably the 32nd best starting QB in the league this week?), Also, it is not as if the Colts are playing a tough pass D in Tennessee.

McCown over Manning EVER??? :eek:
I realize it is only one spot, but fact is, on the cheatsheets Mccown is ranked ahead of Manning. Can anyone here say that they would start Mccown over Manning? I know Mccown is playing the 32nd ranked pass defense(does it really matter though, considering Mccown is probably the 32nd best starting QB in the league this week?), Also, it is not as if the Colts are playing a tough pass D in Tennessee.
I guess its your personal strategy when looking at the rankings. I only use the numbers to tier players where big drop offs occur. If i see them separated by .6pts, i wouldn't care and they would still be in the same tier.

If they are in the same tier, I use my GUT then passing matchups.

This seems like one of those "high risk, high reward" situations. McCown has a higher likelihood of throwing 4 INTs, but he also has a higher likelihood of throwing for 350 yards.

Still, I'd rather bank on the relative security of Manning.
You think Mccown has a better chance of throwing for 350 yards this week? Not that it is not possible, but if i were an odds maker, Mccown would certainly be the long shot of the two.

Personally, I'd go down with the Manning ship on this one.The Cardinals still suck last time I checked, and could throw up a goose egg.

Ok, guys....I took one for the team and I just PMed Dodds about this question. I will keep you all on my breast as to what he says. FYI, here is exactly what I wrote to him(and I will cut and paste his response word for word as well): "Hey peep! I gotta ask you a quick question, but before I do so, let me say again how much I love your work. This site really is a work of art. Hell, I havn't crapped my pants so many times since grade school, LOL!!!!! But anyway, I digress. I remember when you and I used to flick the bees down at the old stomping grounds, and I remember when you became Mr.FootballGuy. And despite all of that, I have a healthy and satisfying admiration for you and your bush. Enough with this, let me get to my question: Its come to my attention that you are a bit down on P. Manning this week, and at the same time you see to be slobbering a guy by the name of McCown. Is this correct? And if so, may I inquire as to the junx you're feeling? Thanks again, man. And I know this might not be my place to say so, but icy pots man! ####in' icy pots!!!"

Projections are NOT sit/starts. Projections include an implied margin of error. It varies with different players and gives you a risk reward consideration. I also have projected McCown to have a better week than Manning. I think the game in Mex will be a shootout. But, I am not so overly confident in the projection that I would bench Peyton.

McCown over Manning EVER???  :eek:
I guess its your personal strategy when looking at the rankings. I only use the numbers to tier players were big drop offs occur. If i see them separated by .6pts i wouldnt care and they would still be in the same tier.

If they are in the same tier I use my GUT then passing matchups.
It is not "my strategy", i use the cheetsheets for another opinion, and an opinion that i respect. I dont need to see the numbers to know if one guy is only ranked 1 spot ahead of another that their projections are probably within a point or so. My point is this, Mccown should not be ranked ahead of Manning, the end.

My point is this, Mccown should not be ranked ahead of Manning, the end.
Should Gates, Shockey, or Crumpler EVER be ranked over Tony Gonzalez?
Yes, but Mark Campbell should not.
Took you 10minutes to come up with that? ;) Okay using your theory...

Should Brandon Lloyd EVER be ranked higher than

Marvin Harrison? :confused:

Ok, guys....I took one for the team and I just PMed Dodds about this question. I will keep you all on my breast as to what he says. FYI, here is exactly what I wrote to him(and I will cut and paste his response word for word as well):

"Hey peep! I gotta ask you a quick question, but before I do so, let me say again how much I love your work. This site really is a work of art. Hell, I havn't crapped my pants so many times since grade school, LOL!!!!! But anyway, I digress. I remember when you and I used to flick the bees down at the old stomping grounds, and I remember when you became Mr.FootballGuy. And despite all of that, I have a healthy and satisfying admiration for you and your bush. Enough with this, let me get to my question: Its come to my attention that you are a bit down on P. Manning this week, and at the same time you see to be slobbering a guy by the name of McCown. Is this correct? And if so, may I inquire as to the junx you're feeling? Thanks again, man. And I know this might not be my place to say so, but icy pots man! ####in' icy pots!!!"
:lmao: brievity is a gift from the gods j-dubb. 6 sentences deep before you get to the point.

absolutely zero chance dodds misses this thread - he's cool peoples and will be excited to defend his mccown > manning ranking for the week.

LOL, i am watching a show, and coming back to check the threads during commercials.To answer your question, Lloyd to Harrison is a bad example, Lloyd has actually played this year and had some good games. I am not saying Mccown can not have a better week than Manning, but i think it is unlikely. It is certainly more likely Lloyd has a better game than Harrison, although i do not think Lloyd should be ranked higher than Harrison this week, or any week in the near future.

OK, back to Engineering disasters i go. Be back next commercial. ;)

LOL, i am watching a show, and coming back to check the threads during commercials.To answer your question, Lloyd to Harrison is a bad example, Lloyd has actually played this year and had some good games. I am not saying Mccown can not have a better week than Manning, but i think it is unlikely. It is certainly more likely Lloyd has a better game than Harrison, although i do not think Lloyd should be ranked higher than Harrison this week, or any week in the near future yes.
Fixed. :yes:

LOL, i am watching a show, and coming back to check the threads during commercials.To answer your question, Lloyd to Harrison is a bad example, Lloyd has actually played this year and had some good games. I am not saying Mccown can not have a better week than Manning, but i think it is unlikely. It is certainly more likely Lloyd has a better game than Harrison, although i do not think Lloyd should be ranked higher than Harrison this week, or any week in the near future yes.

OkayThen if Lloyd should be ranked higher than Harrison (which he is), I see no reason why some scrub QB from ARI cannot be ranked (.6 of a fpt) higher than Peyton.

P.S. I am pretty confident Dodds doesn't look at the order the players come out. He just crunches numbers.

OkayThen if Lloyd should be ranked higher than Harrison (which he is), I see no reason why some scrub QB from ARI cannot be ranked (.6 of a fpt) higher than Peyton.

P.S. I am pretty confident Dodds doesn't look at the order the players come out. He just crunches numbers.
Wescoremore, would YOU start Mccown over Manning this week?

I wasn't actually saying Lloyd should be ranked higher than Harrison. I was just giving the answer I thought Burning Sensation meant to give when he started "To answer your question . . ." and then didn't give the answer. ;) In any event, I'd start the guy I have projected to score more points . . . although if my weekly projections favored McCown over Manning I'd take another look at them very carefully to see if I did something wrong.

No. :no: PS .6 of an fpt wouldnt change my mind either

I would also like to point out that i didnt say Mccown should NEVER be ranked higher than Peyton, just that he shouldnt be ranked higher this week, although i doubt he should be ranked Higher than Manning anytime in the near future as well.

Ok, guys....I took one for the team and I just PMed Dodds about this question. I will keep you all on my breast as to what he says. FYI, here is exactly what I wrote to him(and I will cut and paste his response word for word as well):

"Hey peep! I gotta ask you a quick question, but before I do so, let me say again how much I love your work. This site really is a work of art. Hell, I havn't crapped my pants so many times since grade school, LOL!!!!! But anyway, I digress. I remember when you and I used to flick the bees down at the old stomping grounds, and I remember when you became Mr.FootballGuy. And despite all of that, I have a healthy and satisfying admiration for you and your bush. Enough with this, let me get to my question: Its come to my attention that you are a bit down on P. Manning this week, and at the same time you see to be slobbering a guy by the name of McCown. Is this correct? And if so, may I inquire as to the junx you're feeling? Thanks again, man. And I know this might not be my place to say so, but icy pots man! ####in' icy pots!!!"
The icy pots shtick is WACK. :no:

I actually use these cheatsheets as one tool in determining who to start. Seeing McNown over Manning makes me seriously reconsider this. Under no circumstance should McNown be considered a better start than Manning.

I wasn't actually saying Lloyd should be ranked higher than Harrison. I was just giving the answer I thought Burning Sensation meant to give when he started "To answer your question . . ." and then didn't give the answer. ;) In any event, I'd start the guy I have projected to score more points . . . although if my weekly projections favored McCown over Manning I'd take another look at them very carefully to see if I did something wrong.
And thats all i want to know from Dodds, does he go back over them after crunching the numbers? If so, did he see that Mccown ended up higher than Manning and think, "hmm, yeah, i would go with Mccown over Manning".

I actually use these cheatsheets as one tool in determining who to start. Seeing McNown over Manning makes me seriously reconsider this. Under no circumstance should McNown be considered a better start than Manning.
I too use it as a tool, and other than my own thoughts, FBG has the most influence on my decision. That wont change no matter what happens with the Manning/Mccown situation this week. FBG puts out the best FF info on the web, and one crazy projection does not change that.

I also have projected McCown to have a better week than Manning. I think the game in Mex will be a shootout.

But, I am not so overly confident in the projection that I would bench Peyton.
I simply don't understand this....you think McCown will have a better week, but you won't play him?

I too use it as a tool, and other than my own thoughts, FBG has the most influence on my decision. That wont change no matter what happens with the Manning/Mccown situation this week. FBG puts out the best FF info on the web, and one crazy projection does not change that.
:goodposting:

So if YOU projected each player invidually, and YOU came up with results that had McCown .6pts higher, then why wouldn't you trust YOUR own projections?I don't understand people saying that they'd bench a guy they have rated higher.

In any event, I'd start the guy I have projected to score more points . . . although if my weekly projections favored McCown over Manning I'd take another look at them very carefully to see if I did something wrong.
:yes:

So if YOU projected each player invidually, and YOU came up with results that had McCown .6pts higher, then why wouldn't you trust YOUR own projections?I don't understand people saying that they'd bench a guy they have rated higher.
Projections are only one peice of the puzzle, boss

if mccown and manning are projected within 3 pts of each other, you'd be crazy to start mccown.

if mccown and manning are projected within 3 pts of each other, you'd be crazy to start mccown.
Thats my point. Look at the point difference. Start TIERING these guys.If you are trusting your fantasy success on ONE persons projections and no other research, then good luck/

PS .6 of an fpt wouldnt change my mind either
DD works very hard at making sure his peeps don't lose by 0.5
that said, with a .6 projection difference, if it resulted in my rankings having McCown over Peyton, I'd go back and add 25 yards to my passing yard projections for Peyton.Just on general principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread