What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does being on Miami make you undraftable? (1 Viewer)

BigGreenMachine

Footballguy
I have been watching with interest the moves the Dolphins are making and I continue to scratch my head. As a Jets homer, to see that they have picked up limp noodle arm Chad Pennington doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

My question really is whether Ronnie Brown can truly be a stud rb on a team with that bad of an offense and where teams are able to stack 8 int he box to stop the run?

No disrespect intended to Miami fans but the team looks awful!

I have been watching with interest the moves the Dolphins are making and I continue to scratch my head. As a Jets homer, to see that they have picked up limp noodle arm Chad Pennington doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

My question really is whether Ronnie Brown can truly be a stud rb on a team with that bad of an offense and where teams are able to stack 8 int he box to stop the run?

:fishing: Details please...in which preseason game has Miami looked so awful? :loco:

Ricky is very draftable. Chad and Ginn too, in larger leagues.

Everyone has value at a certain point. Ernest Wilford's value, for example, would be somewhere after round 74.

Last edited by a moderator:
They ran the ball well last year and now they've added Jake Long. I wouldn't shy from the running game if you know who is going to start.

The passing game is another issue. Ginn is the only one I would think of touching and that's as a backup in a deep league.

With the addition of Pennington, Ginn could catch 70 passes. I could see him turing a few short passes into long TD's. He has even more value in leagues that award return yardage. He would make for decent #3, and a good #4 with upside.

You are letting your Jets love cloud your vision. The addition of Pennington was a positive for their team. They have actually improved significantly in my mind over the last 2 weeks.

:fishing: Details please...in which preseason game has Miami looked so awful? :unsure:
Let's look at the whole of last year as the guideline for the awful comment. They havent done much in the offseason to upgrade wrs and they went out and got an old-ish, vet qb who while he give it his all has no arm strength the speak of. Ronnie Brown can't seem to stay on the field but I am willing to give the guy a looks. That being said...what has changed from last year to this to make anyone think they would be any diff?

Also, what can you really tell from a preseason game where teams play their starters for limited periods to avoid injuries? :lmao:

Ricky is very draftable. Chad and Ginn too, in larger leagues.Everyone has value at a certain point. Ernest Wilford's value, for example, would be somewhere after round 74.
I think you have Wilford overvalued. I have been hearing some really great things from some of my sources in Miami that the Waterboy is looking to be had at great value around round 73. Also keep an eye on the towel boy, rumor is he has really been impressing the coaches and staff.

:lmao: Details please...in which preseason game has Miami looked so awful? :lmao:
Let's look at the whole of last year as the guideline for the awful comment. They havent done much in the offseason to upgrade wrs and they went out and got an old-ish, vet qb who while he give it his all has no arm strength the speak of. Ronnie Brown can't seem to stay on the field but I am willing to give the guy a looks. That being said...what has changed from last year to this to make anyone think they would be any diff?

Also, what can you really tell from a preseason game where teams play their starters for limited periods to avoid injuries? :lmao:
How about paying attention when the starters play?Never mind, nothing has changed, continue wallowing in your vat of Jet hate.

Never mind, nothing has changed, continue wallowing in your vat of Jet hate.

Has nothing to do with hating on the dolphins....they just look piss awful! You havent been able to give one piece of convincing evidence to say otherwise.

Qb: Chad Pennington (not good enough for the Jets...4-12 last year)

WR: Ted Ginn Jr...ok he is the real deal right?

Drafted Jake Long...rookie, so who knows.

i am asking for an objective reason to look hard at these guys....

i am asking for an objective reason to look hard at these guys....
For the same reason that people once eschewed all Browns, and undoubtedly other teams for that matter. Things often change unexpectedly. Again, it's all about not overpaying for players that, on the surface, appear to be mired in unfavorable situations.Besides, as a fellow Jets homer, I wouldn't discount the Dolphins from the get-go - right off the bat they're taking on Gang Green at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill Parcells' presence has begun a top-on-down paradigm shift or overhaul to the mindset of the entire organization. I would expect Miami to still lose many games but I would also expect them to lose them in the fourth quarter as opposed to the first half like the last few years. That offense will surprise people this year but the defense will lose some major ground IMO.

I have been watching with interest the moves the Dolphins are making and I continue to scratch my head. As a Jets homer, to see that they have picked up limp noodle arm Chad Pennington doesn't exactly inspire confidence. My question really is whether Ronnie Brown can truly be a stud rb on a team with that bad of an offense and where teams are able to stack 8 int he box to stop the run?No disrespect intended to Miami fans but the team looks awful!
you are looking at things as if the glass is half empty.Miami lost 6 different games by 3 pts last season...they win those , they finish 7-9...this new coaching staff , hand-picked by Parcells, probably will win those close games this season...don't be surprised when Miami finishes 7-9 in 2008...

I have been watching with interest the moves the Dolphins are making and I continue to scratch my head. As a Jets homer, to see that they have picked up limp noodle arm Chad Pennington doesn't exactly inspire confidence. My question really is whether Ronnie Brown can truly be a stud rb on a team with that bad of an offense and where teams are able to stack 8 int he box to stop the run?No disrespect intended to Miami fans but the team looks awful!
you are looking at things as if the glass is half empty.Miami lost 6 different games by 3 pts last season...they win those , they finish 7-9...this new coaching staff , hand-picked by Parcells, probably will win those close games this season...don't be surprised when Miami finishes 7-9 in 2008...
ok the close games lost statistic is interesting and makes me think a little differently about some of those games. Nice stat!

Disclaimer: Fins HomerHere are some reasons why the Fins offense will produce better than last year:1. Jake Long at LT - I am making the assumption that Parcells did not blow the first pick in the draft. He handled Spicer (Jax) easily when the starters were in.2. Justin Smiley - Huge improvement at LG. This is a solid LG.3. Samson Satele - Was awesome as a rookie. Now he is a veteran.4. Donald Thomas - Has been great in camp. Rookie, yes - but he HAS to be an improvement over last year. Again, putting some faith in Parcells, and Sporano who is a respected OL guy.5. Vernon Carey at RT - He was OK at LT last year, but he could be great at RT. Certainly an improvement over LJ Shelton6. Pennington - Noodle arm or not, he is a major improvement over Lemon/Beck. He should stabilize a young offense, and help keep away 8 in the box on every down.7. Ricky/Ronnie - Thats a solid 1-2 punch. Beats Ronnie/Chatman.8. Ginn - No longer a rookie. Hopefully he starts living up to his draft slot. Has a true starting QB now, and has shown flashes both last season and in this preseason.I am not saying that we are looking at the new Colts offense here, but by all means we should see vast improvement from last year. For the record, Ronnie was a top 3 fantasy RB until getting hurt last year, and that was with a lot less talent aroudn him. If an offense can turn out a top 10 RB, and then improve the talent around him, then it is tough to make the case that the entire team is undraftable IMO.

Bill Parcells' presence has begun a top-on-down paradigm shift or overhaul to the mindset of the entire organization. I would expect Miami to still lose many games but I would also expect them to lose them in the fourth quarter as opposed to the first half like the last few years. That offense will surprise people this year but the defense will lose some major ground IMO.
Probably pretty accurate!

They don't have anyone on the team that is a NO. 1 for your fantasy term but Ted Ginn has a shot at being a starter on your team if you can start 3 WR's or more.

Ricky may be good for a flex spot or RB2 in certain situations.......for now, that's about it realistically as far as a weekly starter.

Less so than the jets at this point, sure, but there are 3 or 4 players that could be okay here, and worth a roster spot (assuming redraft. If Dynasty, then Henne, Ginn, and Hagan jump into the mix)...First of all, the dolphins have rebuilt both lines. The O-line may be raw, but it should be a good one for years to come. With a good o line you get something Miami did not have last year: Time to throw the ball, as well as running lanes. To me, Pennington is not a draft pick mainly b/c Henne will take the field at some point, but against a very good Jaguar team, pennington moved them down the field for a RW TD. Assuming RW stays healthy, he should be no worse than a RB #3, and I really think ronnie brown is in for a long season of recuperation.Ted Ginn will be the Coles of this team. While the Jets sucked for years, you could bank on their WRs and RB to get some numbers with pennington. Not sure why you would expect less here.The Dolphin D may be a little better than advertised. The phins lost 4 starting safeties last year as well as two corners. They are getting healthy everywhere except at the LB position, and should be fairly decent stopping the run.I agree with above that Miami will win 5 or so games, but be in most of them until the 4th quarter.IMHO.A dolphin fanPS. FOr their draft spot, Ginn, Ricky, and Hagan are no risk shots, and every team has to give the ball to someone.

Less so than the jets at this point, sure, but there are 3 or 4 players that could be okay here, and worth a roster spot (assuming redraft. If Dynasty, then Henne, Ginn, and Hagan jump into the mix)...First of all, the dolphins have rebuilt both lines. The O-line may be raw, but it should be a good one for years to come. With a good o line you get something Miami did not have last year: Time to throw the ball, as well as running lanes. To me, Pennington is not a draft pick mainly b/c Henne will take the field at some point, but against a very good Jaguar team, pennington moved them down the field for a RW TD. Assuming RW stays healthy, he should be no worse than a RB #3, and I really think ronnie brown is in for a long season of recuperation.Ted Ginn will be the Coles of this team. While the Jets sucked for years, you could bank on their WRs and RB to get some numbers with pennington. Not sure why you would expect less here.The Dolphin D may be a little better than advertised. The phins lost 4 starting safeties last year as well as two corners. They are getting healthy everywhere except at the LB position, and should be fairly decent stopping the run.I agree with above that Miami will win 5 or so games, but be in most of them until the 4th quarter.IMHO.A dolphin fanPS. FOr their draft spot, Ginn, Ricky, and Hagan are no risk shots, and every team has to give the ball to someone.
All valid pts.

Users who are viewing this thread