What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dog needs a tooth extracted. (1 Viewer)

The best dog who’s ever walked this earth needs a tooth removed.

This is the estimate I received this morning. Besides the medicine being marked up over 50%, is it me or does that read like he’s extracting a tooth for twenty minutes (minimum) or 1 tooth every twenty minutes? Maybe it’s just a catch all for the rest of the work he’s doing?

I’m going to pay whatever I need for my baby but this seems pretty exorbitant.
That seems WAY high. I would expect to spend no more that $500 for that.

This is the estimate I received this morning. Besides the medicine being marked up over 50%, is it me or does that read like he’s extracting a tooth for twenty minutes (minimum) or 1 tooth every twenty minutes? Maybe it’s just a catch all for the rest of the work he’s doing?

FTR, includes a cleaning too. The dogs size (135 lbs) plays a factor too. I’m in agreement but just full disclosure.

I would be tempted to call around, vets have a wide price range. I took my dogs to an old school vet in a low rent district and paid a fraction compared to a past girlfriend who used a "companion animal" clinic on the nice side of town.

a 600$ pre op appointment seems absurd. also, how many overpriced meds can they give for pain? they are riiiippppppong you off and i’d axe them about it.

7/2021…..my boy had a teeth cleaning. no charge for the exam. i mean, what are they examining? then it was $563- all in and that included IV, pain meds, anesthesia, all the good stuff they are ripping you off on. seems like the extraction is a 20-40 minute procedure on your estimate.

I would be tempted to call around, vets have a wide price range. I took my dogs to an old school vet in a low rent district and paid a fraction compared to a past girlfriend who used a "companion animal" clinic on the nice side of town.

Yeah I have. The next best option I have can’t get to it until Jan 9th. This vet can do it this Wednesday.

is it me or does that read like he’s extracting a tooth for twenty minutes (minimum) or 1 tooth every twenty minutes?

I think he bills by the minute and he’s estimating 20-40 minutes. Never seen anything like this. We spent about the same amount* earlier this year to have our dog cut open and have a nerf ball removed from her intestine, including two overnight stays.

*edit - just asked my wife and this was actually about $3,800. I was thinking $2,800.

Last edited:
7/2021…..my boy had a teeth cleaning. no charge for the exam. i mean, what are they examining? then it was $563- all in and that included IV, pain meds, anesthesia, all the good stuff they are ripping you off on. seems like the extraction is a 20-40 minute procedure on your estimate.

I’ll add that I just went and had the pre- exam today and it was like $100. 🤣

a 600$ pre op appointment seems absurd. also, how many overpriced meds can they give for pain? they are riiiippppppong you off and i’d axe them about it.

Problem is all the vets are the same here. All the reviews are the same- the vet used to be good and then the owner moved on or passed and it’s not the same.
same with mine honestly. they were a small mom and pop type place, then ownership change and now it feels like a factory. rotating staff, changing doctors, skyrocketing costs, but it’s hard to change vets.

Do you have any low cost animals clinics there that do vaccines and spay and neutering? Some of those also do teeth cleanings.

Do you have any low cost animals clinics there that do vaccines and spay and neutering? Some of those also do teeth cleanings.

That’s the other place that’s can’t get to it until Jan 9th. They were SUPER nice on the phone, 4.8 on yelp. Unfortunately they aren’t a full on Vet. (Only surgeries).

Our dog just had 27 teeth removed for about $300. We got a bit of a discount because we just adopted him from a shelter and we went to their vet, but yours seems pretty excessive.

I don’t have a dog- but many of my neighbors do. Just last week a neighbor of mine was telling me that a complete cleaning of his dogs mouth and getting a couple teeth extracted costed him $3800. I dont know anything about what vets charge- but that seemed high to me. He explained to me that because his dog is old and also has a heart condition- that they had to perform the cleaning and extraction utilizing a method that minimized putting the dog at risk. Does your dog have any age or underlying conditions that would make a procedure like that more complicated than normal?

I don’t have a dog- but many of my neighbors do. Just last week a neighbor of mine was telling me that a complete cleaning of his dogs mouth and getting a couple teeth extracted costed him $3800. I dont know anything about what vets charge- but that seemed high to me. He explained to me that because his dog is old and also has a heart condition- that they had to perform the cleaning and extraction utilizing a method that minimized putting the dog at risk. Does your dog have any age or underlying conditions that would make a procedure like that more complicated than normal?

Naw she’s as healthy as a horse otherwise.

I paid about $700 about 6 months ago for cleaning and 2 teeth extracted for my 10 year old. This also included anesthesia.

My cat had all of its teeth taken out and it was $900. They said the majority of the cost is in the anesthesia and blood tests that get done beforehand. The number of teeth pulled was trivial in and didn’t matter much to the price.

Ive paid around $1500 before but that includes complete cleaning and iirc 4-5 teeth pulled. Vets are expensive.
Feel like ours was about that last year for some bad infections. Including a fee to resuscitate her when she flat lined coming out of anesthesia. Part of why we have not had a problem toe removed now at age at least 13 years. Not sure she would make it through a surgery.

Seems really high. I do feel bad for vets though. They have really high education costs but ultimately don’t make a lot of money compared to their education level in a stressful, emotionally draining job often with long hours. They have a very high suicide rate.

Seems really high. I do feel bad for vets though. They have really high education costs but ultimately don’t make a lot of money compared to their education level in a stressful, emotionally draining job often with long hours. They have a very high suicide rate.
All this is very true, especially the last part which we've talked about quite a bit.

What she has to deal with a ton is this. It's a weird mixture of unlike going to the doctor, you: 1. Likely don't have insurance and 2. You are likely getting an itemized bill to obsess over. Then you combine that largely with people having the attitude that it's just a pet and/or it should be way cheaper. I couldn't image the stigma medical doctors would feel if we had to go line by line of our visits and pay the full price, not just the copay and forget about it method we have.

All this is very true, especially the last part which we've talked about quite a bit.

What she has to deal with a ton is this. It's a weird mixture of unlike going to the doctor, you: 1. Likely don't have insurance and 2. You are likely getting an itemized bill to obsess over. Then you combine that largely with people having the attitude that it's just a pet and/or it should be way cheaper. I couldn't image the stigma medical doctors would feel if we had to go line by line of our visits and pay the full price, not just the copay and forget about it method we have.

All true. Luckily I can afford it. I don’t mind paying for the procedure. What I mind is getting charged a premium for less than premium service. Charging me more than double the costs for meds I can buy myself. You can mark it up a little, but more than double?

Last time they I went in they charged me $558 for bloodwork, rabies shot and a <5 minute exam where I’m positive he missed this tooth. I’ve spent in the neighborhood of $2,000 tying to get rid of ear an infection that I now to believe is related to this tooth.

Vets like this are why most people don’t properly take their of their pets. They can’t afford it.

All true. Luckily I can afford it. I don’t mind paying for the procedure. What I mind is getting charged a premium for less than premium service. Charging me more than double the costs for meds I can buy myself. You can mark it up a little, but more than double?

Last time they I went in they charged me $558 for bloodwork, rabies shot and a <5 minute exam where I’m positive he missed this tooth. I’ve spent in the neighborhood of $2,000 tying to get rid of ear an infection that I now to believe is related to this tooth.

Vets like this are why most people don’t properly take their of their pets. They can’t afford it.
The balance to this argument is that they shouldn't have pets if they can't properly care for them too. I am not saying you are doing this, but it's almost like people don't understand this thing they get for a couple hundred bucks at the Humane Society might get sick, need surgery, or start ruining their house. Or spend a ton of money on pics, clothes, houses, and ***** about the price of their care. My wife has encountered many of those people too.

We paid between 400-700 for our two dogs when they needed it, so that estimate seems excessive to me.
To me, that reads as the procedure should take 20 minutes but may take up to 40 minutes.

The balance to this argument is that they shouldn't have pets if they can't properly care for them too. I am not saying you are doing this, but it's almost like people don't understand this thing they get for a couple hundred bucks at the Humane Society might get sick, need surgery, or start ruining their house. Or spend a ton of money on pics, clothes, houses, and ***** about the price of their care. My wife has encountered many of those people too.
pet insurance is a thing, but no one gets it. i did and it was worth every penny. i used nationwide.

pet insurance is a thing, but no one gets it. i did and it was worth every penny. i used nationwide.
I think the tough part is you have to get it right away when they are a puppy/kitten, and like you said - nobody really thinks to do it.

I would think there would be bigger business for this.

Sounds like you might not have many options around you, but it certainly seems like you might just have a lousy vet and may be better served driving a bit to go to a better one.

Pet insurance is so good. I get it through my work. Now the next time my dog decides to eat a pinecone or whatever, it'll be covered.

My vet is Harvard educated. Not kidding. Part of a pretty big practice.

I may have found a different one though closer. Small one vet shop which was able to get us in quick for an ear infection a couple months back. Bigger place could do only an ER type visit for big $$$.

Pet insurance is so good. I get it through my work. Now the next time my dog decides to eat a pinecone or whatever, it'll be covered.
I've thought about but never followed through. What kind do you have? Or anyone else in this thread? Might be something to pursue now that my dog is getting older. Around 11 or so. We don't know exactly as she was a rescue like 4 years ago.

@STEADYMOBBIN 22

I just showed my wife the estimate and she didn't blink an eye about the estimate. She was impressed and said they were practicing good medicine - imaging, cleanings, pain meds, etc... What she said is that estmate is on par for that level of medicine. Variables on pricing would be if they didn't do imagine, what specific tooth they are taking out (for example she said the canine tooth is trickier than others and takes longer), things like that.

@STEADYMOBBIN 22

I just showed my wife the estimate and she didn't blink an eye about the estimate. She was impressed and said they were practicing good medicine - imaging, cleanings, pain meds, etc... What she said is that estmate is on par for that level of medicine. Variables on pricing would be if they didn't do imagine, what specific tooth they are taking out (for example she said the canine tooth is trickier than others and takes longer), things like that.

Sounds exactly like something a fellow vet would say. J/K.

Thanks so much for asking her.

I've thought about but never followed through. What kind do you have? Or anyone else in this thread? Might be something to pursue now that my dog is getting older. Around 11 or so. We don't know exactly as she was a rescue like 4 years ago.
If your dog is eleven I doubt it would be worth it. Premium goes up based on the age of the dog.

If your dog is eleven I doubt it would be worth it. Premium goes up based on the age of the dog.
and then they won’t cover pre existing conditions….you’ll have to provide vet records.

@STEADYMOBBIN 22

Sounds exactly like something a fellow vet would say. J/K.

Thanks so much for asking her.
Lol. There could be a bit of that too.

Just via listening to her, it feels like it's what she does at her clinic. Estimate 1 is exactly how she would want it to be ideally to do the best for the animal - imagining, tests, etc... IF that's not doable, then they start talking about what could be taken out to still do a decent, but not ideal job. Some things are a hard line for her as in she will not do a procedure without certain tests and info, and sometimes it's an option.

Users who are viewing this thread