What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dolphins and Chiefs are 3-0 -- playoffs? (1 Viewer)

Which team makes the playoffs?

• Dolphins

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Chiefs

Votes: 37 40.2%
  • Both

Votes: 37 40.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
Chiefs for sure. I think they might be one of the 3 best teams in the AFC. Just a ridiculous # of good players on defense & just enough offense to get by.

I don't really know what to think of the Dolphins. I thought they did a lot of strange things in the offseason (not just Bush/Wallace - but why wouldn't you re-sign Sean Smith who signed on the cheap in KC)? But if Tannehill is good enough to not hold them back they probably have a good enough roster to sneak in; 3-0 obv. helps. Today's game was big for them imo even though it was a non-conf.

I picked both to make the playoffs 2 months ago and I'm certainly not changing from that now.

Agree w/ above except that Colts are in the mix also.

Basically Colts, Texans, Dolphins, and Chiefs are fighting for 3 spots.

KC has wins over Jaguars, Cowboys, and Eagles. Yawn.

Mia has wins over Browns, Colts and Falcons. Much more impressive, imo.

This Chiefs team screams 2010 Chiefs to me...record does not reflect the teams ability. I hope I'm wrong, but....

Last edited by a moderator:
Chiefs have a ridiculous schedule - it's almost impossible for them to miss the playoffs.

They have Washington, Giants, 2 x Oakland, 2 x Chargers, Tennessee, Bills, Browns - that gets 'em to 11 right there.

-QG

elmanx said:
Agree w/ above except that Colts are in the mix also.

Basically Colts, Texans, Dolphins, and Chiefs are fighting for 3 spots.
Yea, I would put the Colts/Ravens in the WC/maybe division contender but hard to see as a real contender mix too. Not sold on the Jets or Titans at all, and the Bills/Browns/Steelers/Jaguars/Raiders are all already looking forward to next year.

AFC looks pretty clear-cut. I have no idea what's going to happen in the NFC though.

I think Denver and New England are locks to make the playoffs.

Houston is close to that, although you never if they lose a key player or two. Indy could always snag that division.

Baltimore or Cincinnati likely win the North.

That leaves two wild card spots for probably Houston/Indy (whomever does not win the division), Baltimore/Cincinnati (same deal), KC and Miami. I don't consider the Jets or Titans to be real playoff contenders as of now. Let either get to 8 wins before Week 15 and maybe we'll talk.

I think KC is more likely to make it, because they have an easier schedule, but them and the Dolphins are both definitely for real right now. But we have to remember how good Arizona looked last year at 4-0 before falling off the cliff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dolphin defense is for real. Corners are banged up right now and they are still getting ints. New England is far from a lock and I can see the dolphins challenging for the division. Many of us down here were hoping the dolphins could make it to 2-3 with their difficult first 5 games: they are 3-0.

The game against cinci is likely the bell weather. New Orleans I can deal w a loss there, but if they win, look out.

broncos

pats

bengals

texans

colts, chiefs, dolphins, ravens,

for 2 spots.. If I had to guess I'll take ravens and chiefs..

Ravens just always find a way

and I like the talent the chiefs have

Cardinals were 4-0 last year. Doesn't mean anything.

Both Packers and 49ers are 1-2, yet I think most people would still bet they both make the playoffs.

I think you're ignoring the Chiefs schedule...

Giants - Toss up but probably a W

Titans - W

Raiders - W

Texans - Toss up but probably a W

Browns - W

Bills - W

Broncos - Toss up but probably a L

Chargers - W

Redskins - Toss up but probably a W

Raiders - W

Colts - Toss up but probably a W

Chargers - W

So right there that puts them at 10-6 on the like 90% likely wins. And around 14-2 on the 'possible' wins. It sounds insane, but honestly... if they can win one of the games against the Broncos it's possible they manage to edge them out for the division. I know it's crazy talk, but this schedule is stupid easy.

Miami looks worlds better than the chiefs right now.
strongly disagree

statistical analysis has found that blowouts, even over bad teams, are a better indicator of a team's strength than last-minute wins over good teams (which are often a product of dumb luck somewhere along the line). heck, even the miami homers in the ATL game thread were saying how they were being outplayed and the game shouldn't be that close, prior to the last drive

imo miami has a bit of an edge in the passing game but KC has a *significant* advantage in everything else; i think they're #2 team in the AFC unless the pats actually have all their weapons healthy in the same game, and who knows how often that's going to happen this year...

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to me that the Chiefs are doing better in the poll. I guess the schedule argument is a good one, but Miami has the better QB. As we're constantly reminded, it's all about the QB in today's NFL.
How exactly is Tannehill better than Smith? QB ratings are near identical, 94 and 92. Tannehill is slightly higher but Smith, as usual, hasn't thrown a pick in 3 games. Smith has 4 TDs with no int, Tannehill has 4 TDs with 2 ints. KC is still being highly overlooked. That D is one of the leagues best. Smith is one of the safest QBs in the NFL and won't beat himself. KC has a significant advantage in the running game.

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to me that the Chiefs are doing better in the poll. I guess the schedule argument is a good one, but Miami has the better QB. As we're constantly reminded, it's all about the QB in today's NFL.
How exactly is Tannehill better than Smith? QB ratings are near identical, 94 and 92. Tannehill is slightly higher but Smith, as usual, hasn't thrown a pick in 3 games. Smith has 4 TDs with no int, Tannehill has 4 TDs with 2 ints.KC is still being highly overlooked. That D is one of the leagues best. Smith is one of the safest QBs in the NFL and won't beat himself. KC has a significant advantage in the running game.
Recency bias. If you're great/suck on Nat'l TV and it was the most recent game that's like a season's worth of games to some people.

Bills_Fan11 said:
jurb26 said:
PlasmaDogPlasma said:
How exactly is Tannehill better than Smith? QB ratings are near identical, 94 and 92. Tannehill is slightly higher but Smith, as usual, hasn't thrown a pick in 3 games. Smith has 4 TDs with no int, Tannehill has 4 TDs with 2 ints.KC is still being highly overlooked. That D is one of the leagues best. Smith is one of the safest QBs in the NFL and won't beat himself. KC has a significant advantage in the running game.
Recency bias. If you're great/suck on Nat'l TV and it was the most recent game that's like a season's worth of games to some people.
Yeah, I don't get the Tannehill better than Smith thing either. Is he a better talent and will he be better in 3-4 years? Sure, I'll buy that with a heavy hand. But right now? No, Smith is exactly what this Chiefs team wants him to be. A good game manager, who can complete high percentage throws and be smart about his passes. He doesn't turn the ball over and that's the most valuable thing to Andy Reid's offense. All he has to do is get the ball in Jamaal Charles hands and let Charles do the rest. That's his job and he's doing a damn fine job at it.

I think you're ignoring the Chiefs schedule...

Giants - Toss up but probably a W

Titans - W

Raiders - W

Texans - Toss up but probably a W

Browns - W

Bills - W

Chargers - W

Redskins - Toss up but probably a W

Raiders - W

Colts - Toss up but probably a W

Chargers - W

So right there that puts them at 10-6 on the like 90% likely wins. And around 14-2 on the 'possible' wins. It sounds insane, but honestly... if they can win one of the games against the Broncos it's possible they manage to edge them out for the division. I know it's crazy talk, but this schedule is stupid easy.
I think it's way to early to totally write off the Titans and Chargers. You're also giving them a "probably" for every single game that looks 50/50 right now (with the exception of Giants which is a probably win now).

My preseason picks were

#1 Seed Broncos

#2 Seed Texans

#3 Seed Pats

#4 Seed Bengals

#5 Seed Steelers

#6 Seed Dolphins

Not looking so good on the Steelers pick. If I could change it I'd probably go with IND or KC instead of the Steelers.

BTW these two fantasy Defenses mesh quite nicely if you can afford the roster spot. Miami has the Bucs, Chargers & Jets when the Chiefs are on bye or playing Denver. I might just go that route (already have KC) since people in my league use waivers on D which makes it harder to stream.

I'm tempted by "both". It wouldn't shock anyone if both went 4-2 in the division. Then even if they lose their next two (and I'm thinking they lose to NO, but who knows hosting BAL), MIA plays CIN, SD, TB, CAR & PIT, and could easily win 3 of those. KC's schedule is above, and it's not hard to see them win at least 3 of NYG, TEN, CLE, BUF & WAS, plus (lesser) possibilities vs HOU & IND.

Like others have said, though, I'm just not sure there's room for both. NE, DEN, IND, HOU, CIN, BAL... maybe TEN and even SD. Which of these doesn't make it?

Users who are viewing this thread