What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dolphins Glad To Have Ricky Back (1 Viewer)

Do we have any guesses as to what the workload will look like for Ricky?
That depends, how much has his hiatus hurt his trade value (HMHHHHHTV)?I'm guessing he'll play the Chester Taylor, Larry Johnson role. Just enough to keep other teams' awareness of his skills constantly refreshed.

That depends, how much has his hiatus hurt his trade value (HMHHHHHTV)?I'm guessing he'll play the Chester Taylor, Larry Johnson role. Just enough to keep other teams' awareness of his skills constantly refreshed.
No way. Saben wants to win now and Ricky gives the fins the best chance.

Agreed, and the more he plays the higher his trade value soars.

Umm, have you've been watching Ronnie Brown at all?

]
I will be very surprised if Ricky isn't getting 65-70% of the touches by week 7.
Wow! I think it will be a committee. Hard for me to imagine the Dolphins benching the #2 pick in the draft to situational plays when he has started to really play well.

,Oct 10 2005, 11:17 AM]

I will be very surprised if Ricky isn't getting 65-70% of the touches by week 7.
Wow! I think it will be a committee. Hard for me to imagine the Dolphins benching the #2 pick in the draft to situational plays when he has started to really play well.
Perhaps a bit high on my part but I think Ricky will win the majority-carries role within a couple weeks. That said, I can't imagine anyone in MIA carrying TOO much value in shallower leagues over the short term

Last edited by a moderator:
How much does it matter that Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams have the same amount of experience in Linehan's system?

Umm, have you've been watching Ronnie Brown at all?
Yes I have watched Ronnie Brown. Do you remember Ricky williams leading the league in rushing not to long ago? Lets remember Ricky was an ALL PRO Ronnie BRown is just a Rookie. If you were the coach of the Miami who would you play?I would run Ricky a lot not only because he is better than Ronnie Brown but just as the other poster said to showcase his talent to increase his trade value.

Yeah, Brown ran well against a weak run D, but the Dolphins lost. Saban didn't blame the loss on Brown's fourth quarter fumble, but it's got to be in his mind.

Yeah, Brown ran well against a weak run D, but the Dolphins lost. Saban didn't blame the loss on Brown's fourth quarter fumble, but it's got to be in his mind.
This is worthy information that I was not aware of. Fumbles for running backs with competition to play is never a good thing.

,Oct 10 2005, 09:17 AM]

I would be very suprised it your statement is accurate.
I have and if Ricky is anything like he has in the past he will blow Ronnie Brown out of the water. Williams has put the weight back and is reportedly in great Shape. Ronnie Brown is nothing special and historically Williams has been a top three back. It's not in the same ball park, but you didn't see Michael Jordan sitting the bench after his first comeback. I sure Williams will be given the chance to prove what he's got and even better it sounds like the team is standing behind him as well

I have and if Ricky is anything like he has in the past he will blow Ronnie Brown out of the water. Williams has put the weight back and is reportedly in great Shape. Ronnie Brown is nothing special and historically Williams has been a top three back. It's not in the same ball park, but you didn't see Michael Jordan sitting the bench after his first comeback. I sure Williams will be given the chance to prove what he's got and even better it sounds like the team is standing behind him as well
What timeframe are you considering Ricky Williams to have been a top-3 back? When I look at his numbers, I think he was only in the top-3 for 2002.

I have and if Ricky is anything like he has in the past he will blow Ronnie Brown out of the water.  Williams has put the weight back and is reportedly in great Shape. Ronnie Brown is nothing special and historically Williams has been a top three back. It's not in the same ball park, but you didn't see Michael Jordan sitting the bench after his first comeback. I sure Williams will be given the chance to prove what he's got and even better it sounds like the team is standing behind him as well
What timeframe are you considering Ricky Williams to have been a top-3 back? When I look at his numbers, I think he was only in the top-3 for 2002.
Williams StatsOK Maybe he was only top 3 in 2002, but still alot more impressive than R. Brown. Brown only got 1 touchdown this year (Not to mention his longest run is for 10 yards) and is not nearly the receiver that williams was. Plain and simle Brown is not impressive at all.

Ronnie Brown's Stats

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching Saban's presser right now.

Williams and Brown "will split carries."
Did he mention anything about the split ration? 50-50, 75-25, 60-40, 99-1?
I can't see how he would know that right now.
That is odd. We have about 9 people here at FBG that seem to already have that information; one would think Saban would be in the loop too.

Seeing as to how he won't even be at the practice facility until Wed. (according to Saban via news conference today), and he hasn't been able to train/practice at the facilities during his suspension......... saying he'll be taking over or doing a majority of the work by week 7 or almost any part of the season........ is a stretch. He'll be used, and eased back into the NFL methinks.

Seeing as to how he won't even be at the practice facility until Wed. (according to Saban via news conference today), and he hasn't been able to train/practice at the facilities during his suspension......... saying he'll be taking over or doing a majority of the work by week 7 or almost any part of the season........ is a stretch. He'll be used, and eased back into the NFL methinks.
Ricky is there today, not that 2 days matters in your statement.

I beg to differ: From the Miami Herald http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/12862969.htm

"What both sides would rather do is work out a solution that allows Williams to continue what has been a strong comeback. Coach Nick Saban was impressed with Williams' work ethic in training camp and called the running back one of the strongest performers.

That work ethic also impressed two Dolphins rookies -- running back Ronnie Brown and linebacker Channing Crowder.

''I see Ricky going through those drills, and I'm thinking about what he's doing so that I can pick up something and become better myself,'' Brown said. ``He's always got this really positive attitude about what he's doing.

``If Ricky is having a bad day, you don't see it. You know that everybody had a bad day from time to time, but he never brings that to his work. He comes in talking about how good he feels, never about how hard any of this is.''

Crowder said he was impressed with how Williams has dealt with the difficulty of his situation. Since the beginning of the season, Williams has been allowed to work out at the Dolphins' facility and attend team meetings. However, he hasn't been able to practice with the team or talk to the media in any official capacity.

WORKING SOLO

Instead, he has gone out in uniform and gear after the team is done practicing and has mirrored the work they did in order to get prepared.

''To go out there and work on your own like that all the time, that's hard,'' Crowder said. ``I know I couldn't do it, because it's so boring. Most of the time you need those other guys around you to keep you going.''

Now, perhaps, Williams' return will be a pick-me-up for his reeling teammates."

I have and if Ricky is anything like he has in the past he will blow Ronnie Brown out of the water.  Williams has put the weight back and is reportedly in great Shape. Ronnie Brown is nothing special and historically Williams has been a top three back. It's not in the same ball park, but you didn't see Michael Jordan sitting the bench after his first comeback. I sure Williams will be given the chance to prove what he's got and even better it sounds like the team is standing behind him as well
Williams StatsOK Maybe he was only top 3 in 2002, but still alot more impressive than R. Brown. Brown only got 1 touchdown this year (Not to mention his longest run is for 10 yards) and is not nearly the receiver that williams was. Plain and simle Brown is not impressive at all.

Ronnie Brown's Stats
:lmao: Are you serious? Brown's longest run was 28 yards yesterday. And i don't know where your getting your info about the receiving argument but Brown has been highly touted for his extremely good hands for being such a big back that runs with speed and power. His MO coming out of college was based on how good his hands are. He had six receptions yesterday. As for his fumble, that was the first one of the year. He has had two hundred yard rushing games in a rown. Unimpressive? Seriously?

Brown's longest run was 28 yards yesterday. And i don't know where your getting your info about the receiving argument but Brown has been highly touted for his extremely good hands for being such a big back that runs with speed and power. His MO coming out of college was based on how good his hands are. He had six receptions yesterday. As for his fumble, that was the first one of the year. He has had two hundred yard rushing games in a rown. Unimpressive? Seriously?
I would not say that Brown has been "unimpressive" but I strongly feel that Ricky is a better RB at this point in his career.I also remember reading an article where Saban said he plans to line both of them up in the backfield in some formations because it will give the defense more threats than they can account for.

Both will see the field, but Ricky will put up better numbers this year.

All you need to know is that I have Ronnie Brown on my roster. You should flock to Ricky and come up with back up plans for Brown ASAP.

I would not say that Brown has been "unimpressive" but I strongly feel that Ricky is a better RB at this point in his career.
So you think he has a good chance to average more than 4 yards a carry for the season? This would be a milestone for Ricky being he has only broken this mark 1 in his career.

I would not say that Brown has been "unimpressive" but I strongly feel that Ricky is a better RB at this point in his career.
So you think he has a good chance to average more than 4 yards a carry for the season? This would be a milestone for Ricky being he has only broken this mark 1 in his career.
You are spin doctoring here:He has a 4.0 average 2 of his 5 years, and a 4.8 once. So he has failed to average 4.0 ypc twice in his career, and his career average is exactly 4.0 ypc.

How many times has Ronnie Brown broken 4.0 ypc for an entire NFL season? Twisting stats is fun, huh?

But to answer your question direclty I think that in the exact same situation, and given the similarities between the two backs, the guy who has 5 years experience, the one who has been to the pro bowl, would out perform the rookie.

Not to discredit Ronnie Brown but I feel that Ricky would have bested his performance in the first four games.

As a Dolphin fan I am excited to have Ronnie on the club and he is our future, but Ricky is our present.

Ricky Williams must have stolen something from BlueOnion.It's almost like you go out of your way to bash him every chance you get.

Ricky Williams must have stolen something from BlueOnion.It's almost like you go out of your way to bash him every chance you get.
:shrug: I don't mean to come off that way but I was heavy into the Ricky Williams kool-aid when he was at Texas and while he was at New Orleans. His 2002 season was one of the most impressive seasons I have ever seen a running back have. I just don't think he has it any more, but I would love to be wrong here.

:shrug: I don't mean to come off that way but I was heavy into the Ricky Williams kool-aid when he was at Texas and while he was at New Orleans. His 2002 season was one of the most impressive seasons I have ever seen a running back have. I just don't think he has it any more, but I would love to be wrong here.
I just wonder what you base this on. I mean sure in 2003 he dipped down a bit, but the line he ran behind SUCKED! And 392 carries should be illegal. He still managed to finish with 1300 yards and 9 TD's.All we have to base an opinion on since then is camp and pre-season. By all accounts he is back in prime form. I know camp and pre-season are not the same as the regular season but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he as produced before. You are giving the nod to the rookie who has never finished an NFL season. I just don't get it.

I just wonder what you base this on. I mean sure in 2003 he dipped down a bit, but the line he ran behind SUCKED! And 392 carries should be illegal. He still managed to finish with 1300 yards and 9 TD's.All we have to base an opinion on since then is camp and pre-season. By all accounts he is back in prime form. I know camp and pre-season are not the same as the regular season but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he as produced before. You are giving the nod to the rookie who has never finished an NFL season. I just don't get it.
Because he is one of the highest rated RB's to come out of college based on prospect grading and is currently the incumbant starter who has just come of two impressive games and was drafted 2 overall in the draft and RICKY F'd the team. Maybe that.

I just wonder what you base this on. I mean sure in 2003 he dipped down a bit, but the line he ran behind SUCKED! And 392 carries should be illegal. He still managed to finish with 1300 yards and 9 TD's.

All we have to base an opinion on since then is camp and pre-season. By all accounts he is back in prime form. I know camp and pre-season are not the same as the regular season but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he as produced before. You are giving the nod to the rookie who has never finished an NFL season. I just don't get it.
Someone mentioned it in another thread that they also have been following the psychology of Ricky Williams and we both just don't think Ricky has it in his heart to play football.He heard doubters up until 2002, so he applied himself to see what he could really do and he was exceptional. However, he has been there and done that – a 365 days a year, 24 hour a day of training. I just don’t see him motivated to do something he was never naturally motivated to do in the first place.

I just wonder what you base this on. I mean sure in 2003 he dipped down a bit, but the line he ran behind SUCKED! And 392 carries should be illegal. He still managed to finish with 1300 yards and 9 TD's.

All we have to base an opinion on since then is camp and pre-season. By all accounts he is back in prime form. I know camp and pre-season are not the same as the regular season but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he as produced before. You are giving the nod to the rookie who has never finished an NFL season. I just don't get it.
Someone mentioned it in another thread that they also have been following the psychology of Ricky Williams and we both just don't think Ricky has it in his heart to play football.He heard doubters up until 2002, so he applied himself to see what he could really do and he was exceptional. However, he has been there and done that – a 365 days a year, 24 hour a day of training. I just don’t see him motivated to do something he was never naturally motivated to do in the first place.
I had my doubts too. But by all accounts from the players and the staff he is gave 100% in camp and in the pre-season. If he can convince Zach Thomas that he is here to help the Dolphins win, that's good enough for me.

I had my doubts too. But by all accounts from the players and the staff he is gave 100% in camp and in the pre-season. If he can convince Zach Thomas that he is here to help the Dolphins win, that's good enough for me.
I would be willing to bet Zach Thomas is not completely sold yet, and instead just saying the right thing. Everybody looks like they have heart running around cones and coming to practice on time. When Ricky's left arm is completely numb and he has a huge bruise on his right knee and he demands the ball for the 30th time in a game and proceeds to run over a linebacker and carry 2 defensive backs 4 yards, then I will believe.

If I haven't said it yet, I don't know what Ricky will or will not do this Sunday. But I am giving him credit for nothing until he plays a down.

Doesn't have it anymore?RB's have come back from serious knee injuries. Ricky took a year off which in turn rested his body. He's 28 years old and back to his playing weight while he was at Texas.

He was a Top 5 RB when he left. Taking a year off will not change that. He will come back to a RBBC as soon as this week though.

Because he is one of the highest rated RB's to come out of college based on prospect grading and is currently the incumbant starter who has just come of two impressive games and was drafted 2 overall in the draft and RICKY F'd the team. Maybe that.
:goodposting:

:goodposting:
Which is why Ricky was listed as #1 up until the suspension :rolleyes: And the "F'd the team" issue is dead as far as the coaches and players are concerned so to think that it is to be included in the equasion is ignorant.

Nevermind the coaches statements that he intends to use both backs.

They will both get time and I suspect Rickey will look better based on his greater experience. The reasons you give, aside from the "two impressive games" are all intangible and not very relevant.

Noone knows anything about how he will be used given two impresive Ronnie Brown outings, but I suspect however he wil be used will hurt Ronnie Brown's fantasy value.I would not be surprised to see a very true RBBC situation and possibly some two back formations that swing Brown out to the slot/WR.Having Ricky back opens up a LOT for the offense, especially in the short game. I believe something very similar to how Caddy/Brown were used in college could emerge - that means neither are particularly reliable for fantasy purposes, but that may work GREAT together for NFL purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread