What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Donnie Avery's Value? (1 Viewer)

TidesofWar

Footballguy
I was fortunate enough to scoop Avery in a couple of Leagues a few weeks ago - but I really need a RB. Curious to see what it seems the market value is for him.

I think defenses will begin to key on him more, and I have no confidence that Bulger will be able to make it though the year healthy.

I don't think he'll be good for 163 & a score every week, but I think he'll be a great WR3, which is where most people SHOULD have him. As far as trading... I think his value isn't high enough to trade. You'll prolly get a guy like Benson, maybe. What other WRs you have? Might be able to trade your #2WR for a RB...

Entirely depends on the type of league you are in... His perceived value in dynasty, especially after last weeks game is quite high.. the Owner in our league would expect a top 10 rb in return.

I don't think he'll be good for 163 & a score every week, but I think he'll be a great WR3, which is where most people SHOULD have him. As far as trading... I think his value isn't high enough to trade. You'll prolly get a guy like Benson, maybe. What other WRs you have? Might be able to trade your #2WR for a RB...
I think this pretty much hits it on the head.

I love posts like these because they ask to put a value on a single player. It depends on a lot of things. Scoring is typical, but it also depends on demand. Supply/demand. Now my economics background is one class way back in high school, but I know enough about supply/demand to know that the value of a particular object really depends on the demand for it.

Is there an owner in your league in need of a WR? How about a spark to make the playoffs? Is there an owner in your league very heavy at RB?

Everyone in your league could have 2-3 RBs and 4-5 WRs and not want to trade for another one. Therefore Avery is worthless. On the other hand, you could have a couple teams in your league with 4-5 RBs and maybe 3 WRs. They could use a WR like Avery.

Honestly, you want me to go person-person, everything equal to see who you could get for him- I'd say something real low like a Benson, maybe Moore if Parker's out again, maybe Jamal Lewis, Brandon Jacobs would be about the highest, and even so I doubt it. A lot of people drafted him as their RB2.

You could see if you could grab mcgahee, McFadden, Ryan Grant. I don't know... like I said, there are a lot of other factors

In a redraft he wont land you more than a RB like Jonathan Stewart/Willie Parker type

In a Keeper he can get someone like Jacobs or Addai

In a redraft he wont land you more than a RB like Jonathan Stewart/Willie Parker typeIn a Keeper he can get someone like Jacobs or Addai
It amazes me that people see Avery's value as being this high. In Dynasty, I would never part with Jacobs or Addai for a rookie WR who's had a couple good games. In start-up dynasty drafts Addai is a top 5 pick and Jacobs is top 20. I don't think I'd touch Avery until the 6th round at the earliest based on the little he has shown.Does everyone really think he's worth this much right now?

In a redraft he wont land you more than a RB like Jonathan Stewart/Willie Parker typeIn a Keeper he can get someone like Jacobs or Addai
It amazes me that people see Avery's value as being this high. In Dynasty, I would never part with Jacobs or Addai for a rookie WR who's had a couple good games. In start-up dynasty drafts Addai is a top 5 pick and Jacobs is top 20. I don't think I'd touch Avery until the 6th round at the earliest based on the little he has shown.Does everyone really think he's worth this much right now?
Nope. I have him in one league, and I don't think he's close to Addai or Jacobs yet. If the rest of the season looks like the last couple of weeks, maybe, but not now.

Nope. I have him in one league, and I don't think he's close to Addai or Jacobs yet. If the rest of the season looks like the last couple of weeks, maybe, but not now.
I was assuming Addai has fallen to like 3rd or 4th round value

i wouldnt trade jacobs addia stewart or parker for Avery and its not even close. Well, maybe stewart in redraft if i was extermely weak at wr and very deep at rb.

he hasnt. He'll be a first rounder again next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW I traded Braylon Edwards and Willie Parker for DeAngelo Williams, Donnie Avery, Brandon Lloyd, and a 2009 first round pick in my dynasty, PPR league.

Took him in a few leagues in the first, never again

Took him in a few leagues in the first, never again
im not a fan personally. I have never drafted him and never will. However, once the Colts offense gets ticking again and Addai is healthy, he will look like a first rounder again, and many people will draft that way.back to the topic, I think a guy like thomas jones is good value.

The Rams have a relatively soft schedule in terms of the passing defenses they face the rest of the season, so if someone's looking to win this year and is in need of a WR, he could have some trade value.

Why not keep Avery and offer up one of your other WR's that has more value?

I'm getting way more bites for Braylon Edwards than I could for Avery.

Linus Scrimmage said:
Why not keep Avery and offer up one of your other WR's that has more perceived value?

Exactly. Trading 101.

Linus Scrimmage said:
Why not keep Avery and offer up one of your other WR's that has more value?I'm getting way more bites for Braylon Edwards than I could for Avery.
Funny, I just offered up Braylon(instead of Royal or Avery) for a QB upgrade...............guy passed on Royal, and is now thinking over a move for Edwards. Braylon has more "name recognition" aka: perceived value

Any Rams homers out there that can say whether they expect Avery to outperform Holt the rest of the way? Are Holt's good fantasy days behind him at this point?

I've been offered Cooley and a 2nd in a ppr dynasty league. I'm mulling it over. I think I'd rather have a QB or RB2 upgrade though.

I've been offered Cooley and a 2nd in a ppr dynasty league. I'm mulling it over. I think I'd rather have a QB or RB2 upgrade though.
I could not see making that deal personally.I think Avery is looking like gold in a dynasty league. Gold, Jerry!

It will take several more weeks of elite production for Avery's value to get to the level of a starting RB (if ever.) If you think Avery is the real deal, you should keep him and deal a more accepted blue chip top WR for the RB and plugging Avery into that vacant slot.

Why not keep Avery and offer up one of your other WR's that has more value?I'm getting way more bites for Braylon Edwards than I could for Avery.
Funny, I just offered up Braylon(instead of Royal or Avery) for a QB upgrade...............guy passed on Royal, and is now thinking over a move for Edwards. Braylon has more "name recognition" aka: perceived value
:bye: Read what I just typed above.Edwards is a name, people are stupid. I could have never got gates for avery, i'd much rather have Avery. :rant:

Why not keep Avery and offer up one of your other WR's that has more perceived value?

Exactly. Trading 101.
:bye: my big league (500 entry fee) is in it's 11th year, used to be 16, down to 14 teams, only one team has one more than 1 title, i have 3.

I have a lot of old school owners in my league and I take advantage of them often with trades like this.

I traded R.Wayne for Avery and the Bears D. We start 4WRs and the Bears D has more points than all but two WR's(A.J. and S.Moss). Redraft PPR and I had no D. So I guess it depends on your situation, league and what your trying to do to make the playoffs.

I traded R.Wayne for Avery and the Bears D. We start 4WRs and the Bears D has more points than all but two WR's(A.J. and S.Moss). Redraft PPR and I had no D. So I guess it depends on your situation, league and what your trying to do to make the playoffs.
great trade :) Wayne is a bum and is a big name

I play in a keeper league, and I just offered Avery and Matt Schaub for Reggie Wayne. The other GM told me he will probably do it, and is just going to talk it over with his co-GM.

Now I've got a Farve/Avery(give) for Cutler/Morgan on the table.

his name keeps getting bigger and bigger.

I always worry about deep threats like Avery. They often go games without much stats and pile it up in a few games (like Lee Evans before this year).

Plus he's now a known quantity and defenses will shift more to cover him.

Mr. Mojo said:
I always worry about deep threats like Avery. They often go games without much stats and pile it up in a few games (like Lee Evans before this year).Plus he's now a known quantity and defenses will shift more to cover him.
I agree. I have him as my starter on a dynasty team, but I am tempering my enthusiasm for now. Teams will start to recognize that they cannot roll all of their coverage over to Holt and leave Avery man to man anymore. Then, the deep passes will be more limited, and he will have to prove that he is more than just a deep threat. Hopefully he will pass that test - but the test is going to happen over the next few weeks IMO.

great trade :X Wayne is a bum and is a big name
Really? Wow. :yucky:
Where was he drafted? second round in most leagues, right?he's 18th in my league for WR scoring.

Not a bum, but a huge disappoinment if you drafted him. Plus he was just a no show at practice.

I don't want to comment on the specific value of Avery, but I do think some people in this thread may possibly be undervaluing him just by looking at his numbers. Yes, he has only come on strong as of late, but he has had a good excuse to be lagging: he was hurt in the preseason and a rookie to the team, he needed time to get in the offense and promoted up the depth chart. The two weeks he has been at #2 officially, he has produced like a WR#1. I've watched him play two games and his hands keep getting softer and the game against NE he made a really nice catch completely outmaneuvering the corner who was stuck to him like flypaper (40ish yrd catch in 2nd half iirc).

As for trading strategy, I'd keep him on the team and move an overvalued bigger name as others have suggested already. Avery will fill in quite well for the Braylons of this league!

great trade :thumbup: Wayne is a bum and is a big name
Really? Wow. :confused:
Where was he drafted? second round in most leagues, right?he's 18th in my league for WR scoring.

Not a bum, but a huge disappoinment if you drafted him. Plus he was just a no show at practice.
He's had two rough games in a row against Charles Woodson and Cortland Finnegan, who have been shutting people down every week. Before that he had been very consistent every week with at least 74 yards and he's caught 4 TD's. Other than Fitz every receiver has had a "bad" game or two this season.

Memories are extremely short around this place. Donnie Avery is a nice story, but if people are trading Wayne for him they're a bit foolish in my opinion.

Have a peek at Reggie's schedule. It's about to really lighten up and his numbers are going to soar. I would be targeting him on the back of these last two games.

New England

@Pittsburgh

Houston

@San Diego

@Cleveland

Fantasy Playoffs

Cincinnati

Detroit

@Jacksonville

I apologize for the thread hijack.

Who wins on this trade:

Avery and Thomas Jones

for

Marshawn Lynch and Greg Olsen
I say Avery and Jones but a lot of it depends on team needs.
:thumbup: :shrug:

The new Lynch owner makes out like a bandit here. Awful deal.
Seems like a bit of an overexaggeration to me. Thomas Jones is turning into a fairly respectable # 2 fantasy option and his overall numbers are not that much worse than Lynch's (Jones=598 total yds, 5 tds; Lynch = 597 total yds, 6 tds). Avery looks to be the # 1 guy in S.L. and seems to have established himself as a serious hr threat. Olsen is a solid TE but not top 5 in my mind. Not really sure how you're getting "awful deal" out of this. I still think the guy getting Jones/Avery is getting a slightly better deal but it depends on team needs.

Who wins on this trade:

Avery and Thomas Jones

for

:mellow: :lmao:

Seems like a bit of an overexaggeration to me. Thomas Jones is turning into a fairly respectable # 2 fantasy option and his overall numbers are not that much worse than Lynch's (Jones=598 total yds, 5 tds; Lynch = 597 total yds, 6 tds). Avery looks to be the # 1 guy in S.L. and seems to have established himself as a serious hr threat. Olsen is a solid TE but not top 5 in my mind. Not really sure how you're getting "awful deal" out of this. I still think the guy getting Jones/Avery is getting a slightly better deal but it depends on team needs.
Yeah, AD and Chris Johnson have similar numbers too. Doesn't mean their value going forward is the same.I'm getting "awful deal" out of this because in my opinion it's an awful deal. I think Lynch is a far better option than Jones and Avery doesn't make up the difference. I seriously doubt I'm alone in this.

Dodds value going forward ranks them as such:

Lynch package: 2087

Avery package: 1138

It's all opinions though. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Dodds is wrong. But I know I'd laugh my ### at the owner in one of my leagues who traded away Lynch for Jones & Avery.

ETA: Overexaggeration isn't a word.

Who wins on this trade:

Avery and Thomas Jones

for

:2cents: :no:

Yeah, AD and Chris Johnson have similar numbers too. Doesn't mean their value going forward is the same.I'm getting "awful deal" out of this because in my opinion it's an awful deal. I think Lynch is a far better option than Jones and Avery doesn't make up the difference. I seriously doubt I'm alone in this.

Dodds value going forward ranks them as such:

Lynch package: 2087

Avery package: 1138

It's all opinions though. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Dodds is wrong. But I know I'd laugh my ### at the owner in one of my leagues who traded away Lynch for Jones & Avery.

ETA: Overexaggeration isn't a word.
You are not alone- I like Avery a lot and own him in 2 $$ leagues but giving Jones for Lynch is larceny.... and that's not even considering that Olsen is in the deal as well. He's been consistent as of late and considering the weak TE position this year adds a ton of value to the trade. Back to the point of looking solely at YTD stats: this is an amateur mistake in trying to assess perceived/actual value.

Users who are viewing this thread