What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't flex Thurs/Sat players and other Covid lessons (1 Viewer)

Gawain

Footballguy
Hopefully preaching to the choir, but in the era of COVID, don't tie up your flex spots with guys who play early.

Saturday games will soon be upon us, so we may have almost 20% of the league having played before getting the latest COVID news during the playoffs.

I (and most of my league mates) place their best RB in the RB position and the flex is the worst RB/WR starter. This bit someone in the rump if they had Conner. Zeke usually holds down a RB1 spot on a team, but Gibson, the Texans Johnsons and a Det RB could have all been flexed. Most (all?) sites lock your starter into that position. D Johnson or Gibson started as a flex will occupy that spot for the week. They can't be moved to RB after the start of the game. So, an unlucky team with Conner as a RB who flexed Turkey Day RB is stuck. Keep that flex position open as long as possible for Covid news.

Also, get roster fodder that plays early in the week off your roster ASAP. Having a bum locked on your roster when COVID news comes out does no good. Dropping that Thursday bum for a Monday bum gives you another slot to play with instead of having a dead roster position.

Anyone have others? Apologies if these are basic, but I'm sitting here trying to replace Conner with Gibson in at flex and Robby Anderson on my bench unable to fill in and Darren Fells on my bench unable to be cut. Hope I can keep someone from making the same mistakes that I did.

Anyone have others?
- Never roster a kicker on a COVID-flagged team. Not worth the risk.

- before doing any add/drop always check to see if there are any players on IR (or on COVID-IR) who are worth adding. That way, you can add the injured player, then stick him on your IR slot without having to clear a roster spot.

- (this applies to all players on IR, not just players on the COVID list) If you want to exploit the system, you can set your lineup before a player gets activated from IR (or from the COVID list) and then you'll be able to keep the active player in your IR slot as long as you don't change your lineup.

Sometimes you can strike gold with that Monday bum, too. Like if the Vikings play on a Monday bum and you drop your Thursday bum for Mattison or Moss with the Bills and (I’m not even going to type the words out) #### happens. Then boom. Starting bum. If you have a revolving door as one or more of your roster spots, you can do that #### every week. Multiple times. Yahoo, I believe default, let’s you drop players on your bench who have already played. ####, I’ve dropped players like AJ Green during the game.

This is not an issue with MFL. You check off X RB, Y WR, etc, that you want to start, and don’t designate anyone as flex per se. In other words, if you start 3 WR and want to start a fourth one at flex, you just check off 4 WR. It doesn’t distinguish which one is the flex. 
But it is an issue on the other major sites, and I have been reserving the guys with the latest starts for my flex and Superflex spots in my Yahoo league.

But it is an issue on the other major sites, and I have been reserving the guys with the latest starts for my flex and Superflex spots in my Yahoo league.
I'm not trying to sound like a genius or anything here because I learn so much from this board daily, but I thought this was common practice.

Even if a guy doesn't have an injury designation, the late start puts him in my flex. Unexpected things happen all the time, then I have more options to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread