What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Doubleheader to open season? (1 Viewer)

The Hank

Footballguy
KFFL REPORTS

Steelers | 2006 season most likely opens in Pittsburgh, could be a doubleheader

Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:04:31 -0800

Dave Goldberg, of the Associated Press, reports, as noted earlier, the 2006 NFL season most likely will start in Pittsburgh Thursday, Sept. 7, keeping with a recent trend of beginning the schedule with the current Super Bowl champion (in this case the Pittsburgh Steelers). The Thursday opener could be part of a doubleheader, one beginning at 6 p.m. Eastern time and the second at 9. p.m., NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday, Feb. 13. NBC, which takes over from ABC as the network for night games, probably would televise the game in Pittsburgh. ESPN would televise the second game of the doubleheader, if it happens. That would provide the cable network with a 17th game and the league most likely is to go again without a game the final Monday night of the season.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

(edit to add link)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a lot of west coasters will miss most of the opening game. I wouldn't think the NFL would choose to do that.

Seems like a lot of west coasters will miss most of the opening game. I wouldn't think the NFL would choose to do that.
You think the NFL cares about that? I guess if it impacts the $$$, they do. The more I read about the NFL this off-season, the more I think they don't consider the desires of the average fan much when making their decisions. It's all about the $$$.

Aren't the Saints supposed to be featured with a Thursday Night opener following the Katrina disaster?

I thought that the whole reason the NFL started the Thursday opener in the first place was because of New York and the whole 9/11 disaster.

I hope that the NFL does the right thing and puts the Saints in the Thursday opener after all they had to go through this past season, it's the least that Tagliubue could do considering that he didn't even travel to New Orleans to meet with the players

Last edited by a moderator:
You think the NFL cares about that? I guess if it impacts the $$$, they do.
No, but the networks do. And if the networks do, so does the NFL.
Aren't the Saints supposed to be featured with a Thursday Night opener following the Katrina disaster?

I thought that the whole reason the NFL started the Thursday opener in the first place was because of New York and the whole 9/11 disaster.

I hope that the NFL does the right thing and puts the Saints in the Thursday opener after all they had to go through this past season, it's the least that Tagliubue could do considering that he didn't even travel to New Orleans to meet with the players
I didn't think the Superdome would be ready until mid to late Sept. Why feature the Saints in an away game?

I guess the Pittsburgh game would be the one at 6:00? If so, I'm going to have to take a half-day in order to get to the game, which would be very weird. It is going to make tail-gating VERY diificult since many of the parking lots over there would still be filled from the business day. Personally I would rather only have one game on opening Thursday night.

In any case my guess is the Steelers will either play Denver (AFC Championship rematch) or Cincinnati (Division rivalry).

KFFL wrote it up wrong...

the double-header would be on Monday night. The steelers would have a stand-alone game on Thursday...

KFFL wrote it up wrong...

the double-header would be on Monday night. The steelers would have a stand-alone game on Thursday...
:thumbup: That is correct,just read it in The Orlando Sentinel. Doubleheader on the first Monday,Pittsburgh on the opening Thursday and a regular season game in London England are all on the docket.

Well, to make it more confusing, NFL.com says the doubleheader would be Thursday:

NFL likely to open season in Pittsburgh

NEW YORK (Feb. 13, 2006) -- The 2006 NFL season most likely will start in Pittsburgh on Sept. 7, keeping with a recent trend of beginning the schedule with the current Super Bowl champion.

The Thursday opener could be part of a doubleheader, one beginning at 6 p.m. ET and the second at 9. p.m., NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. He also said the league is still open to a game overseas for the 2006 season, perhaps in London's Wembley Stadium.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9231237

Horrible idea

No need for weeknight doubleheaders
Agreed.It's not a problem for me since I live on the east coast and have a job where I can come and go as I please. But a 3PM game on a weeknight for the west coast? :loco:

Well, to make it more confusing, NFL.com says the doubleheader would be Thursday:

NFL likely to open season in Pittsburgh

NEW YORK (Feb. 13, 2006) -- The 2006 NFL season most likely will start in Pittsburgh on Sept. 7, keeping with a recent trend of beginning the schedule with the current Super Bowl champion.

The Thursday opener could be part of a doubleheader, one beginning at 6 p.m. ET and the second at 9. p.m., NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. He also said the league is still open to a game overseas for the 2006 season, perhaps in London's Wembley Stadium.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9231237
Let's confuse it some more,from today's Orlando Sentinel:NEW YORK -- The 2006 NFL season most likely will start in Pittsburgh on Sept. 7, keeping with a recent trend of beginning the schedule with the current Super Bowl champion.

The NFL also is considering an ESPN doubleheader for the opening Monday night on Sept. 11, one beginning at 6 p.m. Eastern time and the second at 9 p.m., NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday. He added that the league is still open to a game overseas for 2006, perhaps in London's Wembley Stadium.

:cry:

You think the NFL cares about that? I guess if it impacts the $$$, they do. The more I read about the NFL this off-season, the more I think they don't consider the desires of the average fan much when making their decisions. It's all about the $$$.
the nfl obviously cares about the west coasters or else mnf wouldnt start so late

The double header on September 11th would asure ESPN of televising 17 games and not force the NFL to play on Monday, January 1st, 2007 - traditionally a day heavy with College Football Bowl games.

It is an easy compromise for the media, the NFL and College Football with little impact to the fans. The early game would likely have two east coast teams facing off to minimize the impact of the fans on the west coast not being home on Monday to see the game.

Users who are viewing this thread