What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DP overall rankings, when to draft (1 Viewer)

Sid

Footballguy
I need a cheatsheet/strategy on overall DP rankings and when to draft.  I NEVER play with DPs, now in a league with 1 DP starter.  Thanks for any info/links.  Also feel free to mock my inability to search the website, which I will now continue to do.. 

I need a cheatsheet/strategy on overall DP rankings and when to draft.  I NEVER play with DPs, now in a league with 1 DP starter.  Thanks for any info/links.  Also feel free to mock my inability to search the website, which I will now continue to do.. 
There’s an IDP forum here with some activity - good place to check posts.

high level: this is a philosophical question. What is the meaning of life? Why do bears poop in the woods? When do I take IDP guys?

Short answer: depends on IDP scoring. If it’s comparable to offensive scoring, they’ll usually start to go in the 6-7-8 rounds

if the IDP scoring is lower I’d wait way longer. 

Personal philosophy: it is important to have LBs in a tackle heavy league. I tend to get 2x top 10 LBs. It is not so important that I need to have the 1st two off the board. I would much rather wait 2 rounds after IDP guys start going to take my LBs than be a part of the run. 

you can also more easily find IDP guys on waivers than 5th-6th round RB/WR.

this year IDP guys started going 5.12 - I waited until the 9.03 spot to take my 1st and got my #2 ranked LB. 

you might favor a more defense-heavy approach. It’s your call on style/approach. I feel like when i wait on D & stack up on O, it helps me 2 ways. The teams that went D-heavy are now scrambling for offensive scraps while I’m cherry picking the D-guys they missed during the early run. 

check the IDP forum for more specific stuff & good luck!  

Also better to write IDP. The original title is slightly misleading. I was expecting NSFW content when I opened it. I haz disappoint?

:lol:  

Just had my 14 team IDP draft earlier today.  HSG hit the nail on the head, it all depends on scoring.  In mine -  We start 1 LB, 1 DE, 1 DB, and then 1 Flex IDP which is always an LB for me since tackles are the most prevalent scoring option.  In our league pretty much everything is 1 point (tackles, sacks, passes defensed, interceptions, fumble forced).  This means in my league on average, an IDP player scores somewhere between 5 and 10 points, which is about what a kicker scores.  So I treat them like kickers and I wait until the end to draft them.  While everyone else starts diving in for Darius Leonard, Kahlil Mack and Aaron Donald in round 8 or 9, I"m filling up my bench with pretty much my choice of RB4s or WR3s, and I end up with Corey Littleton or Bobby Wagner in round 14 while everyone else is now going for kickers and backup QB.  

What makes your week is when your IDP guy gets an int or picks up a fumble (or strip-sacks) and returns it for a TD, but that's impossible to predict.  

To the OP:  Take a look at 2019 scoring of IDP's in your league page, and get an idea of how they score.  Since you only need to start one, look at the top 15ish or so from last year.  If 12 points separates them total, then no sense in reaching for one.  If the scoring is more heavily weighted, then adjust accordingly.  If this is a longtime league, there will come a moment when a run happens, and probably within 2 rounds everyone will have their one guy.  If the scoring is fairly even and the top ~15 are all close, then let the run go by you and fill at the end. 

Just had my 14 team IDP draft earlier today.  HSG hit the nail on the head, it all depends on scoring.  In mine -  We start 1 LB, 1 DE, 1 DB, and then 1 Flex IDP which is always an LB for me since tackles are the most prevalent scoring option.  In our league pretty much everything is 1 point (tackles, sacks, passes defensed, interceptions, fumble forced).  This means in my league on average, an IDP player scores somewhere between 5 and 10 points, which is about what a kicker scores.  So I treat them like kickers and I wait until the end to draft them.  While everyone else starts diving in for Darius Leonard, Kahlil Mack and Aaron Donald in round 8 or 9, I"m filling up my bench with pretty much my choice of RB4s or WR3s, and I end up with Corey Littleton or Bobby Wagner in round 14 while everyone else is now going for kickers and backup QB.  

What makes your week is when your IDP guy gets an int or picks up a fumble (or strip-sacks) and returns it for a TD, but that's impossible to predict.  

To the OP:  Take a look at 2019 scoring of IDP's in your league page, and get an idea of how they score.  Since you only need to start one, look at the top 15ish or so from last year.  If 12 points separates them total, then no sense in reaching for one.  If the scoring is more heavily weighted, then adjust accordingly.  If this is a longtime league, there will come a moment when a run happens, and probably within 2 rounds everyone will have their one guy.  If the scoring is fairly even and the top ~15 are all close, then let the run go by you and fill at the end. 
All excellent points.

in my league our defensive players score like elite offensive players - but there are a lot more LB than RB. So they start going rounds 6-7-8-9 sprinkled in, then we’ll have huge runs of IDP for a couple rounds mid draft.

in either scenario I agree - don’t get sucked  into runs. 

oh, and no matter what your scoring, defensive backs/safeties are the true kickers of IDP. 

one other note, OP: many IDP leagues reward KR/PR yardage and/or TDs. Mine it’s .1/3 yards KR/PR & 6 point DTD. What this means is that in larger league formats, some marginal WR5-6-7 ot RB5-6 types suddenly become rosterable as WR3-4/O-Flex value if they’re the primary return guy & get your 5-8 points per game for returns & a chance at a return TD. I wouldn’t draft specifically for this,  but it can be a good tiebreaker when picking scrubs of otherwise equal value late in the draft. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In my redraft 10 team single qb, typical format 0.5 ppr IDP league I was the first one to take a defense and took Darius Leonard in the start of 8th. I usually am the first one to take a defensive player. This is after I had entire starting lineup full with exception of QB. And I had two RBs on my bench. Everyone in the league had at least one lb by the end of the tenth. Also by the end of the tenth the three top safeties and the three top DEs were gone. Since you are drafting just 1 I would say be looking around 8th too if you want Leonard. 

Users who are viewing this thread